• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2018

Started by covufan, August 07, 2015, 11:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoDad89

2014, you hit the nail an on the head with Finke's recruitment. He was being pursued big time by the previous Illinois staff (Groce). He was a definite Illinois lean for sure but his summer AAU production took a lot of bigger programs off and opened up their respective recruitment elsewhere. Everything I understand about this kid is he is definite D1 but viewed more as a roster filler with the the higher D1s.

Illinois under Underwood is looking towards the city of Chicago for more or better home run recruits and feels they should and could get them. Not sure anyone pulled their "offers" for him per se but we know there are contingent offers made and he is one of those kids that was probably a contingency given his summer performance. Personally, I think he would be a great get for Valpo and would be a higher touted Peters if he came.

That being said, Alec had a GREAT career and developed because of staff and work ethic. If Finke put in the work and developed he could be a steal.

covufan

His brother will be key member this season at Illinois

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU2014

Nice graphic. It's nice to know we're replacing Tevonn with another athletic SG next season. He won't as ready as a senior Tevonn is but it sounds like Javon will play a big role on this team just like Tevonn did his freshman year.
https://twitter.com/ValpoBasketball/status/929074419041005570

valpo64

I see S Stefanovic has yet to play in a regular game for Purdue...have to assume red-shirting.  As for next year I think he will have more problems getting floor time.  It  would have been great to see a local kid like him at Valpo where I think he would seen major playing time.

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on November 13, 2017, 09:52:50 AM
I see S Stefanovic has yet to play in a regular game for Purdue...have to assume red-shirting.  As for next year I think he will have more problems getting floor time.  It  would have been great to see a local kid like him at Valpo where I think he would seen major playing time.

Yeah he was unfortunately redshirted. Yep next season they will have another very crowded back court with Eric Hunter Jr. signed. Minutes will probably be tight and it makes you wonder if he'll consider transferring down the road. The problem is that if he transfers he'll have lose a year eligibility because he just redshirted this year. So it seems like if were to eventually transfer he'd be a grad transfer. so either after his RS-SO or RS-JR year he may be able to transfer and play immediately depending on how quickly he graduates. Many coaches these days aren't allowing kids to take a certain credits each semester because they don't want kids becoming grad transfers.

I still will never understand why kids want to become bench players/role players later in him their careers if they have the potential to be impact guys at the mid-major level and get very valuable early playing time. He could very well have a very nice playing career at Purdue but he'd play a huge role at Valpo early on. At Purdue they view him as the future "don't leave the white guy open role". Oh well. Wish him nothing but the best but I'll be watching to see how his career/role develops.

Edit: Just saw Paul answered this question a few days ago.
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/929144291913551872

Valpower

I'm sure that Stefanovic could be a good addition, but given that he is currently under scholarship elsewhere, I'm restricting my thoughts about him to the idea that I'd like to beat his team, badly.

ValpoDad89

Word is Finke to Grand Canyon State and Dan Majerle y'all!!! :o A buddy connected to Chicago and Illinois recruiting just texted me that. All I can say if true, WOW. And Grand Canyon is a for profit university.

ValpoDad89

But if you look at it he kinda fits in the Dan Majerle image. I thought he fit in the Lottich image as well and figured if he came here he could give a big middle finger to his detractors. Makes me wonder how much Valpo was really on him.

zvillehaze

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on November 14, 2017, 07:54:18 PM
But if you look at it he kinda fits in the Dan Majerle image. I thought he fit in the Lottich image as well and figured if he came here he could give a big middle finger to his detractors. Makes me wonder how much Valpo was really on him.

Majerle has done a great job a GCS.  My question would be how long he stays there, and what they become if he leaves.

VU2014

Wow. I knew he took a visit to GCU but rumor was it was still unlikely he'd probably end up there. A very big get for Dan Majerle. Finke is going to destroy WAC competition. This could be a "one that got away" prospect for many bigger named schools.

Makes me wonder how much Valpo was really on him.

I'm not even sure our coaches were pursuing him even after the reset in recruitment. Maybe they weren't interested or thought it was too late to jump in his recruitment because it was unlikely he'd commit here.

As for our recruiting situation with that last 2018 scholarship, Coach Lottich went on the record and said, "I told our guys, it's a home run or we're waiting for a transfer." Maybe we go the transfer route or they find a Spring signing guy they really like.

One interesting transfer is Scott Drew's former guard Wendell Mitchell who transferred from Baylor after his Redshirt Freshman year and he is now playing at JUCO Trinity Valley. He is a 3-4 star guard from TX. He led the State of Texas in scoring his senior year of HS. He offers coming out of HS from Maryland, Butler, Kansas State, SMU, etc. He'd be a great pick up especially with the graduation of Tevonn and Javon would still be a freshman.

https://www.diehards.com/baylor/baylor-basketball-guard-wendell-chuck-mitchell-transfer

Since he announced his transfer he has picked up offers from: UTEP and New Mexico
Highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3615127/5721b7380dcb0d12f8509a14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cFcwG0zClI&t=34s

covufan

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on November 14, 2017, 07:42:37 PM
Word is Finke to Grand Canyon State and Dan Majerle y'all!!! :o A buddy connected to Chicago and Illinois recruiting just texted me that. All I can say if true, WOW. And Grand Canyon is a for profit university.
Quote from: zvillehaze on November 14, 2017, 09:10:52 PM

Majerle has done a great job a GCS.  My question would be how long he stays there, and what they become if he leaves.
Quote from: VU2014 on November 14, 2017, 10:24:49 PMWow. I knew he took a visit to GCU but rumor was it was still unlikely he'd probably end up there. A very big get for Dan Majerle. Finke is going to destroy WAC competition. This could be a "one that got away" prospect for many bigger named schools.
I'm a little shocked, but this appears to be true:

https://verbalcommits.com/players/tim-finke

There were rumors that Majerle might be headed to the Suns come next spring/summer.  I'm sure the Finke's got some sort of commitment from Majerle for the next few years (verbally, of course).

VU2014

Quote from: covufan on November 15, 2017, 11:49:07 AM
I'm a little shocked, but this appears to be true:

https://verbalcommits.com/players/tim-finke

There were rumors that Majerle might be headed to the Suns come next spring/summer.  I'm sure the Finke's got some sort of commitment from Majerle for the next few years (verbally, of course).

Majerle is making bank at GCU. GCU is a for-profit private University so they literally have used their Basketball program as a marketing tool and they spare no expense on their basketball team. It's sort of a genius business strategy. They've literally made their Basketball games into a college party themed atmosphere and that is definitely going to sell to certain recruits. Not only that but GCU is one of the very few mid-majors that is willing to shell out for 'buy-games' in the non-conference which gives them a competitive advantage. But they are still in the WAC which means you essentially need to win the Conference Tourney to make to the big dance every year (this is the 1st year they'll be eligible).

GCU badly wants out of the WAC and into the WCC. But the the WCC admin have apparently scoff at the idea because they are for-profit University and a lot of faculty politics at Universities come into play there. Also GCU's academic reputation is pretty poor. Liberty University has faced similar issues trying to join a new conference but for different reasons.

https://twitter.com/GCU_MBB/status/900937012294713344

ValpoDad89

2 things that hurt GCSU is they are for profit University and do not have the endowments and 2 they can try and get into bigger conferences but have no football. Football as we know it today rules the roost.

VU2014

valporun

Of course, all of these games for Javon were happening in my hometown, none of these schools he played at were ones I went to, but are in the same conference as my high school, and I didn't get to any of them because my crazy holiday week work schedule wouldn't allow it. Not many highlights from the local tv stations involving Javon, but a lot of showing Castaneda's passing ability close to the rim. I'm going to see if the local tv station that covered some of the Thanksgiving tourney games have these archived because they did have a couple of games that featured the local schools playing Whitney Young. If I find anything, I'll link the websites for it, so any of you can catch them.

FWalum

That would be nice, thanks.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valporun

https://thecube.com/event/whitney-young-vs-auburn-high-school-760931

Here is the link to the unofficial championship game of the RPS (Rockford (IL) Public Schools) Tipoff Classic.

Javon played well in this game, but don't take my word for what your opinions are of #0 in orange.

https://thecube.com/event/whitney-young-vs-jefferson-high-school-760930

This link is from an earlier game in the tournament. Both opponents are from the RPS schools, and a couple of the top teams in the conference, although small compared to the depth and height of Whitney Young.

VU2014

VU2014

https://twitter.com/312Hoops/status/936691584531353601
2018 PROSPECT RANKINGS
December 1, 2017

Here are the top-10 senior prospects in the Chicago-area according to 312 Hoops.  This list will be updated as the season progresses.

1. AYO DOSUNMU
PG – 6'4″ – Morgan Park
College: Illinois

2. TALEN HORTON-TUCKER
SF – 6'5″ – Simeon
College: Iowa State

3. ZION GRIFFIN
SF – 6'6″ – Hinsdale South

4. JAVON FREEMAN-LIBERTY
SG – 6'4″ – Whitney Young
College: Valparaiso

Javon Freeman-Liberty is a dynamic athlete with stellar quickness and knack for slicing to the basket. He also has an improving all-around game and outside shot.

5. GEORGE CONDITT
C – 6'11" – Corliss

6. XAVIER CASTANEDA
PG – 6'4″ – Whitney Young
College: South Florida

Castaneda is everything you want in a high school point guard. He's a floor general with a great feel for the game, setting up teammates, and scoring when his team needs it.

7. TY MOSELY
SG – 6'5″ – Orr
College: Wisconsin-Milwaukee

8. TAMELL PEARSON
PF – 6'9″ – Orr
College: UAB

9. DREW PETERSON
SF – 6'7″ – Libertyville
College: Undecided

Peterson is a long, sharp shooting, 6'6″ wing who has improved his ability to score off the dribble. Peterson is also an excellent rebounder at the high school level.

10. MAURICE COMMANDER
PG – 6'0″ – Curie
College: Chattanooga