• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

OklahomaMick and I came in as freshmen with Berdiel, so I knew exactly what to expect of his interview.  Wish those of us that experienced him for 4-years could say otherwise, but that man was self-involved and aloof.

He listened to music (headphones) during classes and was clearly dreaming of his future.  Let's just say he applied himself as much on the court as he did in classes!

In all seriousness, he was a great talent.

Note:  Anyone else notice how many times he referenced his college teammates? I'm willing to wager none of those guys count him as a lifetime friend.  But please let me emphasize, he is FAR from a bad person.

valpotx

Many of your statements are correct, but I would say that he did end up friends with his teammates.  He definitely thought that he was destined for the NBA from his FR season on, and walked around with headphones all day as you say :).  He and Nieves were inseparable.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

vu72

Very interesting discussion with Todd Ickow, who I hold in the highest regard relative to his extensive Valpo basketball knowledge.  So according to Todd, we have (potentially) the equivalent of Keith Carter, Casey Schmidt, Dan Oppland and Raitis Grafs.  That's as far as he got.  I'll take that four with Tevonn Walker, all the way to the Final four!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

Todd just getting excited before our first MVC season?  Respect him yes, but don't know if I agree with Todd on this one.  Still love Todd though.   
CRUSADERS!!!

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on November 10, 2017, 06:42:48 PM
Very interesting discussion with Todd Ickow, who I hold in the highest regard relative to his extensive Valpo basketball knowledge.  So according to Todd, we have (potentially) the equivalent of Keith Carter, Casey Schmidt, Dan Oppland and Raitis Grafs.  That's as far as he got.  I'll take that four with Tevonn Walker, all the way to the Final four!!

This could be one of the most talented teams we've ever had at Valpo - Burton, Evelyn, Smits and Hazen are all three stars or above.  Next years team with the addition of two more three star players may be even more talented. 

a3uge

Quote from: covufan on November 12, 2017, 03:23:02 PM

This could be one of the most talented teams we've ever had at Valpo - Burton, Evelyn, Smits and Hazen are all three stars or above.  Next years team with the addition of two more three star players may be even more talented.

Not sure I'd use Smits and Hazen as evidence of one of the most talented teams Valpo's ever had.

VU2014

Quote from: a3uge on November 12, 2017, 05:44:17 PM

Not sure I'd use Smits and Hazen as evidence of one of the most talented teams Valpo's ever had.

I wouldn't say this is Valpo's best team either. I'd still take the 2012-2013 and 2015-2016 team over this team hands down. This team hasn't proven anything yet besides that they are the most athletic team we've probably ever had. This team has a lot of raw young talent. There is still a lot of questions that need to be answered with this team. I'd agree this team has a lot of future potential though.

I'm excited but I'm still in "show me mode".

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on November 12, 2017, 06:05:03 PM
Quote from: a3uge on November 12, 2017, 05:44:17 PM

I wouldn't say this is Valpo's best team either. I'd still take the 2012-2013 and 2015-2016 team over this team hands down. This team has proven anything yet besides that they are the most athletic team we've probably ever had. This team has a lot of raw young talent. There is still a lot of questions that need to be answered with this team. I'd agree this team has a lot of future potential though.

I'm excited but I'm still in "show me mode".

In fairness, covufan didn't say anything close to "this is Valpo's best team ever."  He simply stated that this could be one of the most talented teams in the program's history?  How can anyone dispute that?

VU2014

Quote from: wh on November 12, 2017, 07:09:16 PM
In fairness, covufan didn't say anything close to "this is Valpo's best team ever."  He simply stated that this could be one of the most talented teams in the program's history?  How can anyone dispute that?

My bad I miss read. This team may very well have the most raw potential out of any Valpo Teams. I'm not sure there is any future NBA players on this team like there was the last 4 years but we didn't know Alec had that kind of potential till around his sophomore/junior year. This teams strength is the depth. I still want to see how the team looks against D1 level competition, but this is definitely an exciting team from what we've seen so far.

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 12, 2017, 02:54:27 PM
Todd just getting excited before our first MVC season?  Respect him yes, but don't know if I agree with Todd on this one.  Still love Todd though.   

Remember, I posted that Todd said the players had the "potential" to be as good a the players mentioned.  I think we all see potential but how that all works together, how well they take to the coaches, how they play together, etc. will determine the greatness factor.  I will say that I cannot remember a group with as much potential as we have now, top to bottom.  How it will work out will be seen shortly.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: Pgmado on November 02, 2017, 01:37:13 PM
Quote from: bbtds on November 02, 2017, 11:56:11 AM
Quote from: a3uge on November 02, 2017, 05:57:57 AM
Quote from: bbtds on November 01, 2017, 06:56:55 PM
Listening to the latest podcast that Pgmado did on Union Street Hoops he talked about walking about St Louis and visiting different landmarks with one of them being Busch Stadium not far from the Scottrade Center. He said it was a nice stadium for a third place team. A team that finished behind the Milwaukee Brewers. That stadium he observed was built in 2006. In that 11 years since it was built that team that plays there have won 2 World Series. Even the lowly Cubs have won a World Series. The Milwaukee Brewers have won how many World Series?
ZERO, ZILCH, NADA!!!!!!!

And which team did they lose to in the 1982 World Series?
Man, is there a group of more sensitive, insecure people than Cardinals fans?

Brewers fans.

I'm well aware our (Brewers fans) place in the pecking order, so I'm going to take, and enjoy, the shots when I can. The Cardinals are (or at least were before the hacking scandal) the gold standard for baseball franchises. St. Louis baseball is equivalent to Green Bay football. (Football is that sport played with pigskin and results in touchdowns in case St. Louis fans don't remember). St. Louis expects to make the playoffs every year in baseball and Green Bay expects every year in football. Much like Chicago/Detroit/Minnesota fans bask in the glory of a down Green Bay season the rare times they occur, I'm going to bask in the glory of a down St. Louis season. So again, nice stadium for a third place team!   

That field in blue and yellow mixed Bay is also for a third-placed team.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VU2014

"NWI Times reporter Paul Oren and Parker Gatewood breakdown Valparaiso's hot start to this season while Valley Associate Commissioner Greg Walter talks about the MVC/MWC Challenge. Former Valparaiso star Dan Oppland wraps up Episode No. 42 by sharing thoughts his time with the Crusaders."

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_e24ecebe-d48d-11e7-80cd-5ff967fe6988.html

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/935649004687429633

valpotx

Another fantastic episode.  Dan Oppland was definitely one of my favorites, due to many of the points that Paul brought up.  I believe that Dan was something like a 49% FT shooter during his FR year.  His SO year was my last at Valpo, and every time we were running on the track at the ARC, Dan was shooting hundreds of FTs.  We had various two-a-days, which encompassed a very early morning run, and a night session.  Dan was there most of those times, shooting FTs.  I believe that he ended up a 75-80% FT shooter by his SR year?  That dude put in the work, and he played with an incredible motor. 

Paul brought up Kenny Harris, and unbeknownst to many of you, that dude put in a lot of work with Bob Brooks, as well, during his FR year.  He came in to Valpo at something like 300-350 pounds, but he was often included in our running sessions, as 'Coach Brooks' would run many of our early morning workout sessions as well, and wanted Kenny to be pushed by many people around him.  He met the trash can a few times from those workouts lol, but he never quit.  One thing that I love about Valpo and our athletic alumni, is that we have a lot of people that would never quit, and a lot of intelligent/high character athletes.  Seriously, how many mid or low-major schools can claim as many professional basketball players among their alumni, as we can?
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

A great episode of USH.

A great conversation with Valley Associate Commissioner Greg Walter talks about the MVC/MWC Challenge. Paul asked about the potential for extending the series, currently in the 3rd year of a 4 year agreement. I've seen fans of Horizon League teams wanting to get a MVC/HL Challenge going on twitter.
My reaction to that suggestion:

Paul brought up how Bill Potter (former HL executive) use to say, "We have 10 children and we love them all equally."

I've met Bill once and he seemed like a really nice guy but we all know that is BS. When Butler said jump. LeCrone would ask "how high?" Butler was the HL love child and the rest of us were ugly step-children in their eyes when they were still in the league. Oh well. Water under the bridge but there is no love lost for the Horizon League.

talksalot

I found that 2001-02 "Away from the ARC" results...  we were 7-2 when we left on the trip...

77   94   New Mex St @Yahoo Invite #1     7-3
71   55   Columbia @Yahoo Invite #2     8-3
87   80   Buffalo @ Yahoo Invite #3     9-3
76   57   West Virginia @ Ariz Fiesta Bowl    10-3
70   74   Arizona @ Ariz Fiesta Bowl     10-4
73   81   Kansas - T    10-5
78   68   Western Ill - T    11-5
62   78   Southern Utah - T    11-6
78   66   Chicago State - T    12-6

and 12-6 when we came home....  what they missed was what happened when the team got back...

we won 8 more conference games in a row!
87   67   Oral Roberts - H    13-6
78   60   UMKC - H    14-6
74   73   IUPUI - T    15-6
86   77   Oakland - T    16-6
84   60   Western Ill - H    17-6
100   63   Chicago State - H    18-6
71   64   Southern Utah - H    19-6
76   63   UMKC - T    20-6

valpotx

The great 2 games of Tony Falu's career, Arizona and Kansas.
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on November 28, 2017, 11:58:08 PM
Another fantastic episode.  Dan Oppland was definitely one of my favorites, due to many of the points that Paul brought up.  I believe that Dan was something like a 49% FT shooter during his FR year.  His SO year was my last at Valpo, and every time we were running on the track at the ARC, Dan was shooting hundreds of FTs.  We had various two-a-days, which encompassed a very early morning run, and a night session.  Dan was there most of those times, shooting FTs.  I believe that he ended up a 75-80% FT shooter by his SR year?  That dude put in the work, and he played with an incredible motor. 

Deutschland Dan!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

and I see USH made the Times today... page 2 of the sports section "Around the Region"... putting the pressure on pgmado to get the edition out by 4pm as promised... oh... deadlines.  I'm looking forward to hearing from former VU ballboy Robbie Hummel...I understand he went on to a pretty decent basketball career at some college somewhere...

VU2014

"Former Valpo High and Purdue star Robbie Hummel joins Union Street Hoops to preview the upcoming non-conference tilt between the Crusaders and Boilermakers. Mid-Major Madness reporter Andy Evans shares his thoughts on Valparaiso's place in national polls."

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_317c1e50-dad4-11e7-b306-873aa088c552.html

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/938537324861894656

justducky

The obvious question for Jim and CJ Peters wasn't even asked. Can we get an 18-19 rematch at Purdue with their seniors gone and our puzzle pieces all in place? If not why not?  ???

VU2014

Quote from: justducky on December 08, 2017, 12:25:51 PM
The obvious question for Jim and CJ Peters wasn't even asked. Can we get an 18-19 rematch at Purdue with their seniors gone and our puzzle pieces all in place? If not why not?  ???

Highly unlikely. Hopefully we can get another 2-for-1 with them going if Sasha is still there by the end of his senior year, like we did we did for Robbie Hummel.

Times have changed and scheduling has changed A LOT since even 10-11.

vu72

Another good show, HOWEVER, Paul, when panning our lack of success versus Bigs on the road, included the fact that the Oregon State team we beat in 15-16 was TERRIBLE.  I beg to differ.  That team was 14-3 at home that season, finished 19-13 including wins over Oregon, Cal USC and others and went to the NCAAs.  Oh yay, they had a guy named Gary Peyton on their team, no slouch!

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on December 08, 2017, 12:40:36 PMAnother good show, HOWEVER, Paul, when panning our lack of success versus Bigs on the road, included the fact that the Oregon State team we beat in 15-16 was TERRIBLE.  I beg to differ.  That team was 14-3 at home that season, finished 19-13 including wins over Oregon, Cal USC and others and went to the NCAAs.
Great point ! Oregon St was chosen for an at-large slot despite losing at home to VU. Then you should have hit them with the obvious question that you failed to ask.

Quote from: justducky on December 08, 2017, 12:25:51 PMThe obvious question for Jim and CJ Peters wasn't even asked. Can we get an 18-19 rematch at Purdue with their seniors gone and our puzzle pieces all in place? If not why not?