• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB Rule Changes for 2017-18 - So DON'T YELL AT THE SCORER'S TABLE

Started by talksalot, October 30, 2017, 02:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

These will take some getting used to !!   but don't take it out on the scorer's table crew... please !!
==============================================================
Thanks to our crackerjack SID team for sending this out... I'm posting this to keep the yelling down...
==============================================================

- When the game clock is at 59.9 seconds or less nearing the end of a period, if the ball is legally inbounded and touched and the official immediately whistles to stop the clock, a minimum of 0.3 seconds must run off the clock.

- Media timeouts are now to be taken at or under the 16, 12, 8 and 4 minute marks - i.e., a whistle at 16:00 will now result in a media timeout  (It used to be "UNDER" ...)

- A player who exits the game may re-enter the game with no time running off the clock if the opponents commit a violation or a foul in between  (We've had this happen a few times...)

Shot Clock will RESET to 20 seconds or the time remaining on the shot clock, whichever is greater, when:
1. There is a personal foul against the defensive team and the ball is to be inbounded by the offense
in the front court.
2. There is a technical foul committed by the defensive team and the ball is to be inbounded in the
front court by the offense.
3. There is a kicked or fisted ball by the defensive team and the ball is to be inbounded in the front
court by the offense.

A defensive foul in the backcourt or any offensive foul will still result in a 30-second reset.

VU2014

zvillehaze

I've got a question for you, talksalot.  In the last few years, I thought the rule on media timeouts was modified so that certain called timeouts would take the place of a media timeout.

For example, if Coach A calls a timeout at the 16:04 mark, that timeout would count as the "at/under 16:00 media timeout" so that we don't have another full timeout when a deadball occurs at 15:57.  Is that the case?  If so, how close does that called timeout need to be to take the place of the next media TO?  I thought I heard 30 seconds, but it doesn't appear to happen that way all the time.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

talksalot

Good question.  I know it has been that way (yes a Team Time Out within 30-seconds of a "scheduled" timeout would replace the media) on the women's side for a while, and I recall it being one of those "testing" things during like the NIT tournament.  I really don't remember if they did that during the regular season last year?... that was so long ago...  I'm sure someone else will !