• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops: 2017-18

Started by VU2014, November 03, 2017, 03:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmosmithfan1

Let's be fair here... I don't think Belmont has ever posited that they or the OVC are "too good" for the MVC. I think they've specifically expressed something that Valpo used to do back in the late 90s/early 00s when we remained tied at the hip with the Mid-Con: remaining in the OVC is their best and easiest route to consistent tournament bids.

If anything, they're saying they're *too good* for the rest of their own conference.

VU2014

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on November 13, 2017, 12:56:35 PM
Let's be fair here... I don't think Belmont has ever posited that they or the OVC are "too good" for the MVC. I think they've specifically expressed something that Valpo used to do back in the late 90s/early 00s when we remained tied at the hip with the Mid-Con: remaining in the OVC is their best and easiest route to consistent tournament bids.

If anything, they're saying they're *too good* for the rest of their own conference.

I agree with bigmosmithfan1 on this one. It's the cowards path, imo, but they have pretty much made it clear that they prefer beating up a weak conference to get automatic bids. Coach Byrd has pretty much stated he think the MVC is no longer at 2-bid league (which I disagree with. MVC can be during strong years, imo). The OVC is already not great but if they potentially lose Murray State to the MVC then the OVC is even worse. I absolutely hate their strategy.

VUGrad1314

They ARE too good for the OVC which is why they need to move up And that excuse is such a coward's way to run a program I just can't respect that line of thinking Fewer but higher quality shots at the tournament with the occasional at Large and a consistent ability to get one or more NIT home games will do much more for your program than praying you win three games in March every year and don't run into a hot team that's already seen you twice and knows your game plan

underdawg

Saluki fan here will be watching you guys on ESPN3 tonight . I know it's a weaker opponent, but put on a good show!!

wh

Quote from: underdawg on November 13, 2017, 04:28:38 PM
Saluki fan here will be watching you guys on ESPN3 tonight . I know it's a weaker opponent, but put on a good show!!

Thanks, underdawg. I have been a fan of your program from the moment I watched what became my favorite coaching rant of all time. Barry broke every cultural norm in snowflake heaven and made his players uncomfortable in their safe place, yet lived to tell about it. I still can't believe the campus Milquetoasts didn't run him out of town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQKbLsoCt28

Good luck this year to the Salukis!

oklahomamick

Barry Hinson, one of my favorite Oklahomans......
CRUSADERS!!!

underdawg

https://www.facebook.com/St-Louis-Christian-Academy-106386922885183/

Signing pics from yesterday's inking of 6-9 220 Amadou Fall of St. Louis Christian Prep

bbtds

Quote from: underdawg on November 15, 2017, 12:48:18 PM

Signing pics from yesterday's inking of 6-9 220 Amadou Fall of St. Louis Christian Prep
St Louis Christian Academy which happens to be fairly close to Scottrade Center. SLCA is at Compton & Lafayette, which is very close to MVC headquarters also. Many people in the Lou wouldn't set foot in that area but it really is an area that has become gentrified and bloosoming into a progressive neighborhood.

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on November 15, 2017, 01:10:02 PM
Quote from: underdawg on November 15, 2017, 12:48:18 PM

St Louis Christian Academy which happens to be fairly close to Scottrade Center. SLCA is at Compton & Lafayette, which is very close to MVC headquarters also. Many people in the Lou wouldn't set foot in that area but it really is an area that has become gentrified and bloosoming into a progressive neighborhood.

Who is this guy and who did he sign with?

VUGrad1314

Amadou Fall and he signed with SIU The person who posted that link is a Saluki fan

talksalot

This is ... impact... their RPI when it's all said and done.

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) J.T. Miller scored 16 points, Alize Johnson had 10 points, 14 rebounds and five assists, and Missouri State beat Southern 86-58 on Wednesday night.

The Bears are 35-1 in home openers in their Division I era, including all 10 at JQH Arena.

Jarrid Rhodes added 13 points for Missouri State (2-0) and Ryan Kreklow had 11.

Missouri State opened the game with a 9-0 run and extended it to 49-26 at halftime after shooting 53 percent. The Bears finished at 45 percent, including 9 of 24 from distance.

Brendon Ganaway scored 11 points for Southern (0-3), which has lost three games by a total of 84 points. Eddie Reese added 10.

The Jaguars shot just 27 percent in the first half, finished at 30 and turned it over 16 times.

wh

From MVC fans.com:

Re: MVC Games 11/13-11/16
Postby valleyclimber » November 15th, 2017, 10:53 pm

3-0 tonight for Valley teams. Congrats out to MSU (28 point smackdown win), Valpo (25 point curbstomp win on the road), and to UNI for putting up another W.

So that's 16-2 (11-2 vs. D1) out of the gates for the MVC. Smoking hot start for the conference...

Tomorrow's games will be interesting with the Redbirds tipping off the day (10:30 a.m.) against the South Carolina Gamecocks who went to the Final Four last season, and the Sycamores go against Auburn. Go get 'em ISUs.

Aces and Ramblers are also both on tap tomorrow with winnable games. Looking forward to the all the hoops across the Valley...oooo yeah.

KEEP IT ROCKIN' MVC!!  :Cheers:

FWalum

Nice to see Valpo finally getting some mentions on the MVCfans.com.  They have basically ignored us at the start of the season, probably because we were playing non-D1 teams.  Would certainly help if we had more posters making the crossover.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

It will take some adjustment after being in a league with a fan forum that was nearly stagnant.  MVCFans is whole different animal.

wh

Quote from: wh on November 16, 2017, 04:44:02 AM
From MVC fans.com:

Re: MVC Games 11/13-11/16
Postby valleyclimber » November 15th, 2017, 10:53 pm

3-0 tonight for Valley teams. Congrats out to MSU (28 point smackdown win), Valpo (25 point curbstomp win on the road), and to UNI for putting up another W.

So that's 16-2 (11-2 vs. D1) out of the gates for the MVC. Smoking hot start for the conference...

Tomorrow's games will be interesting with the Redbirds tipping off the day (10:30 a.m.) against the South Carolina Gamecocks who went to the Final Four last season, and the Sycamores go against Auburn. Go get 'em ISUs.

Aces and Ramblers are also both on tap tomorrow with winnable games. Looking forward to the all the hoops across the Valley...oooo yeah.

KEEP IT ROCKIN' MVC!!  :Cheers:

First time I've heard the expression "curbstomp."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiRAwIYstuE

Now I know.  ;)

VU2014

vu72

You can watch Ill. St versus Boise St and Lexus, live on ESPN3 (12:30)  Lexus hit a 3 and the announcer said that was a good thing as he is only shooting 20% so far this season.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Brutal day for the conference Bradley loses a heartbreaker and Illinois State is getting run off the floor hopefully Indiana State can salvage some pride for the MVC against Old Dominion and Drake can almost redeem the day singlehandedly if they can bring the conference another P5 victory by beating Wake Forest

FWalum

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 17, 2017, 12:44:40 PMDrake can almost redeem the day singlehandedly if they can bring the conference another P5 victory by beating Wake Forest
I will be at a Concordia Girls high school game tonight so I guess the Wake Forest gear will remain in the closet. Glad no other MVC teams play Wake because I don't know if I can root against the Demon Deacons.  As an undergrad my daughter did a kinesiology study on the Wake BB team and would go running with a group of people that would often include Skip Prosser whom she got to know quite well.  She was very upset when he passed away shortly after one such run.  I really enjoyed her time at WF. They were very good in basketball and the football team also went to the Orange Bowl when she was there.  A very good school.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Indiana State gets another big transfer. Wow. Indiana State has a pretty talented backcourt next season.
https://twitter.com/cwill_20/status/932401103190228992

VUGrad1314

Great get but given ISUb's early season performance I'd say nothing is guaranteed with them. They'll be talented though.

VUGrad1314

3 MVC schools in the top 100 7 in the top 130 8 in the top 150 and all 10 MVC schools are in the KenPom top 200 right now. Not too shabby for a conference many had pronounced dead with the departure of Wichita State and whose highest ranked team in the metric is 90. May we all continue to climb higher and prove how badly underestimated this conference was. Go MVC!

VUGrad1314

For reference the MVC's lowest ranked team is still rated higher than HALF THE HORIZON LEAGUE As well as 2 A10 members 2AAC members 1MWC school and 1P5 school..