• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

All Valpo Opponents... and their Opponents coming up... how many wins?

Started by talksalot, November 09, 2017, 01:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Just saw highlights of the Marquette loss to Purdue. The most impressive picture was of the 8'0 300 lb. Purdue center (at least he looked that big in comparison to everyone else on the floor).

UPDATE AFTER I WENT TO THE PURDUE SITE:

That is Matt Haarms from Amsterdam, Netherlands.  RS Freshman.  7'3, 250#  So far in three games this season he has averaged 18.67 min/g

Vs. SIUE - 11pts, 5 RB
Vs. Chicago State - 9 pts, 7 RB
@. Marquette - 7pts, 3 RB

AS A FRESHMAN / 2016-17 (Purdue write up)
• Joined the team at the semester break, using his redshirt year.
• Went against Isaac Haas and Caleb Swanigan every day in practice.
• Has grown an inch and added about 20 pounds to his frame since his arrival at Purdue.

He looks like he could throw Jay and Derrik around like they were paper dolls.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 14, 2017, 10:34:54 PM
Just saw highlights of the Marquette loss to Purdue. The most impressive picture was of the 8'0 300 lb. Purdue center (at least he looked that big in comparison to everyone else on the floor).

That is Matt Haarms from Amsterdam, Netherlands.  RS Freshman.  7'3, 250#  So far in three games this season he has averaged 18.67 min/g

Vs. SIUE - 11pts, 5 RB

• Has grown an inch and added about 20 pounds to his frame since his arrival at Purdue.

Watched some of the Purdue-Marquette game and we are in BIG trouble.  Not only is that guy a beast but his backup is also a 7' with skills and, they can flat out shoot the lights out.  A top 5 team, zero doubt.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on November 15, 2017, 08:39:23 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on November 14, 2017, 10:34:54 PM

Vs. SIUE - 11pts, 5 RB

Watched some of the Purdue-Marquette game and we are in BIG trouble.  Not only is that guy a beast but his backup is also a 7' with skills and, they can flat out shoot the lights out.  A top 5 team, zero doubt.

I seem to remember someone who witnessed the Chicago State game (ok, mostly the second half) saying our defense will be suspect against talented big men. Maybe Marten Linssen will develop more defensively but I'm afraid it won't be by Pearl Harbor Day. Or we could have another Dec. 7th that will live in infamy.

VU2014

Matt Haarms and Issac Haas are going to be a problem when we play them next month. Haarms moves really well for a big man and has some post moves. We're going to need our 7 footers to step up and just keep them in check and not get dominated on the boards.

The keys to success against that Purdue team is for the wings to absolutely go off be hot from 3 and get easy transition buckets. Watch two of Purdue's games so far and they look really good this year.

talksalot

Opposition is starting the night at 22-6

Wednesday, November 15, 2017   Missouri State 86 Southern 58 - WIN
Wednesday, November 15, 2017   Northern Iowa 72 Wartburg 43 - WIN
Wednesday, November 15, 2017   Utah State 83 Mississippi Valley 47 - WIN
Wednesday, November 15, 2017   Creighton 92 Northwestern 88 - LOSS
Wednesday, November 15, 2017   Nevada 93  Santa Clara 63 - LOSS
Wednesday, November 15, 2017   Loyola Marymount 76 UC Riverside 64 - LOSS
Wednesday, November 15, 2017   Oklahoma 108 Ball State 69 - LOSS

Ending the night at 25-10

Oh, Seton Hall 84-68 over Indiana

Oh, 2, Due to a power outage, Wednesday's scheduled men's basketball game between St. Bonaventure and Maryland Eastern Shore was cancelled.

Power was lost in the Reilly Center around 6:15 p.m. as the teams were preparing for a 7:00 tipoff. The outage also affected several other buildings on campus. Crews responded quickly to address the problem. At approximately 8:15, power was restored but only lasted for about five minutes. It was determined by 8:45 that it would not be possible to play the game. Power was still off as of 9:30 p.m.

During the outage, the Reilly Center's emergency lights remained on, powered by backup generators.

Officials from the schools have begun talks about a makeup date, but no decisions will be finalized until Thursday. In the event that the game is rescheduled and played in the Reilly Center, all tickets for would be good for that game only. If the game is not made up, St. Bonaventure will announce a refund/exchange policy to address this situation.

talksalot

We start my grand-daughter's birthday... sorry... Thursday with our opponents 25-10, having some embarrassingly large deficits last night... and we have some good games on tap...

Thursday, November 16, 2017   Auburn   Indiana State  (Gildan Charleston,SC Classic)
Thursday, November 16, 2017   Loyola   UMKC
Thursday, November 16, 2017   Ohio Christian   Kent State
Thursday, November 16, 2017   Samford   LSU
Thursday, November 16, 2017   South Carolina   Illinois State  (Myrtle Beach "Puerto Rico Tipoff" tournament)
Thursday, November 16, 2017   Southeast Missouri   Evansville
Thursday, November 16, 2017   Southeastern Louisiana   UL-Monroe

I count 4 winnable games and three "significant upsets"

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on November 16, 2017, 08:35:50 AM
Thursday, November 16, 2017   Auburn   Indiana State  (Gildan Charleston,SC Classic)

A battle of programs in really sad situations. Indiana I think will get better but must come a long way to be competitive in the B1G. Auburn may get lucky, Pearl may get thrown in jail but they ought to win easily.

valpo4life

Quote from: bbtds on November 16, 2017, 08:46:59 AM
Thursday, November 16, 2017   Auburn   Indiana State  (Gildan Charleston,SC Classic)

A battle of programs in really sad situations. Indiana I think will get better but must come a long way to be competitive in the B1G. Auburn may get lucky, Pearl may get thrown in jail but they ought to win easily.

This is Indiana State, not Indiana

talksalot

"feast week" -

At the Half... Auburn 48 Indiana State 27... WatchEspn

At the Half....Illinois State 32 South Carolina 23... WatchEspn  (Evans 3 at the buzzer for ISU)

VU2014

Quote from: talksalot on November 16, 2017, 11:07:51 AM
"feast week" -
8:00 to go in first half... Auburn 29 Indiana State 19... WatchEspn
4:00 to go in first half....Illinois State 24 South Carolina 14... WatchEspn

Indiana State looks awful. They should have a real shot against this bad Auburn team.

at the half Auburn Tigers 48, Indiana State 27

Jordan Barnes is the only one playing well for ISUb in the 1st half.

talksalot

Illinois State 69 South Carolina 65 ... one of the three upsets has happened
Auburn 83 Indiana State 64...Final

talksalot

Illinois State advances to play the winner of UTEP /BOISE STATE... watching now on ESPN app... Nice Lexus Williams shout out to Valparaiso in the first minute of the coverage... Then Lexus misses an open jumper from the free throw line...

VUGrad1314

Look at it this way: most observers would agree that the MVC really only had a shot at one P5 upset (Indiana State over Auburn) which they didn't get. HOWEVER the MVC still got a P5 upset with Illinois State's surprising result against South Carolina. No fan of the MVC should be disappointed right now because I would argue that the day has gone BETTER than expected so far. In terms of overall magnitude and impression factor I think we can all agree that ILLINOIS State over South Carolina carries more weight than Indiana State over Auburn would have. Sure it would have been really nice to have both given how winnable the Sycamores game seemed to be but if we had to choose and be content with just one P5 victory today this would be the one to hope for and as good fortune would have it this is the one we got. Rejoice and be glad MVC fans for all is well! All is indeed very well right now! Keep it going! I'm so impressed with this conference (but not terribly surprised these teams have made a living for decades as giant killers and you had to think it was only a matter of time before this conference started getting back to better days. I'm just glad my Alma mater is now a part of this! Go Valpo! and Go MVC!

talksalot

Quote from: talksalot on November 16, 2017, 01:12:41 PMIllinois State advances to play the winner of UTEP /BOISE STATE.

58-56 Boise State... so Lexus Williams gets to take on Illinois State tomorrow in the Semi-Finals.  Boise scored 5 points in the final 13 seconds to win it.

VUGrad1314

Good we'd rather see them play a team from the Mountain West than a Conference USA team Better chance that win if they can get it is better for their metrics going forward

ValpoDad89

Good win by Illinois State and bad loss by Indiana State considering their blowout win to start the season against Indiana.

I think the loss to Auburn won't be as bad as I feel they will be very good this year. The win came against Indiana was good for their program and came at a time when Indiana was most vulnerable. I think Indiana, while not challenging for a B10 title will right their ship and be a decent RPI / Kenpom win. Disturbing is NU losing to a GOOD Creighton at home in a track meet. We will need to defend the perimeter BIG TIME against them at All State. We do that and we offensively attack the perimeter and play well down low can escape the Chi with a win.

ValpoDad89

And as a side note Welsh Ryan only seated around 8K (talk about facilities!!!) and they were lucky to have 4K fans in attendance last night against Creoghton at All State Arena and being a preseason Top 20 team (while Welsh Ryan goes through upgrades for those not in the know) again, agsinst a quality BE foe.

I say, when we play NU get your butts down from NW Indiana and let's support our Cru!!! I'm going for sure and tons of places around that you can hang before or after the game. Let's get some bodies there and possibly meet up in full Valpo regalia!!!!

Purdue...another story...

bbtds

Quote from: valpo4life on November 16, 2017, 09:03:39 AM
Quote from: bbtds on November 16, 2017, 08:46:59 AM

This is Indiana State, not Indiana

My mistake. Too bad for Auburn. I bet they'd rather play IU.

ValpoDad89

Ain't nothing but a chicken wing as they say bbtds!!! Who cares. Everyone knew what you meant.

talksalot

Starting the day 25-10

Thursday, November 16, 2017   Auburn 83 Indiana State 64 - LOSS  (Gildan Charleston,SC Classic)
Thursday, November 16, 2017   Loyola 66  UMKC  56 - WIN
Thursday, November 16, 2017   Kent State 90 Ohio Christian 45 - WIN
Thursday, November 16, 2017   LSU 105 Samford 86 - LOSS
Thursday, November 16, 2017   Illinois State 69 South Carolina 65  - WIN (Myrtle Beach "Puerto Rico Tipoff" tournament)
Thursday, November 16, 2017   Southeast Missouri   Evansville 66 Southeast Missouri 50 - WIN
Thursday, November 16, 2017   UL-Monroe 86 Southeastern Louisiana 75 - LOSS

Ending the day 29-13... Like I said 4 winnable games...  :-X

Valpo Next Opponent SELA Box Score:  http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400988902
Valpo NEXT Opponent Samford Box Score:   http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400987172

talksalot

Starting Friday 29-13

Friday, November 17, 2017   Boise State   Illinois State   9:30 / noon - Puerto Rico Classis at Myrtle Beach
Friday, November 17, 2017   Wake Forest   Drake   tba
Friday, November 17, 2017   Vermont   Bradley   10am
Friday, November 17, 2017   North Dakota St   Missouri State   7
Friday, November 17, 2017   Stony Brook   Ball State   7

talksalot

Starting Friday 29-13

Looking like a 2-4 kind of day....and we even had a ValpaRYZO speech in the Indiana State game... it was a nice comment... but... but.... but....

Friday, November 17, 2017   Boise State 82 Illinois State 64 - LOSS
Friday, November 17, 2017   Wake Forest   Drake   7:30pm
Friday, November 17, 2017   Old Dominion 62  Indiana State 44 - LOSS
Friday, November 17, 2017   Vermont 65  Bradley  64 - LOSS
Friday, November 17, 2017   North Dakota St   Missouri State   7
Friday, November 17, 2017   Stony Brook   Ball State   7

talksalot

More luster off UCR win over Cal, Chaminade just swatted the bears by 24

valpotx

Yeah, UCR is not a good team, so that Cal win was a huge fluke.  They are consistently in the bottom 50 teams each season.

On another note, I have a fond memory of the Maui Invitational I attended.  My family took a trip to Hawaii/Maui during Thanksgiving break of my HS SO school year (1996-1997).  We were not college basketball fans at that time, having grown up in TX (football, football, FOOTBALL!), so we had no idea that the Maui Invitational was taking place, or what it was.  We were at our hotel and saw all of these really tall guys around the pools each day, and then signs starting popping up about the event starting in the coming days.  We looked into it, and realized that Kansas, Cal, Iowa, LSU, UMass, South Carolina, and Virginia were all in town, with the host school called Chaminade (who?? lol).  We saw Raef LaFrentz, Paul Pierce, Scott Pollard, Jacque Vaughn, Tony Gonzalez, and a few other folks that ended up playing at a very high level.  That was a very cool experience, and you were right on top of the players as you watched the games.  If you want to complain about the lack of A/C in the ARC, you should have been in that small Lahaina Civic Center for those games! 
"Don't mess with Texas"