• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Charging now for Parking, $5.....

Started by Chairback, November 10, 2017, 09:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on November 14, 2017, 12:47:18 PM
QuoteNo parking zones along Monroe, Union and McIntyre. This was technically a city decision, but I'd bet my bottom dollar tha Heckler and team were fully complicit in it. Consistent with its "walking campus" pipe dream, the plan was to force people at that end of campus to begin using the old hospital parking garage and adjacent parking area. Of course, we all know how that turned out.

Well, let's place the blame for this one where it correctly belongs: with the handful of jerks who'd consistently block driveways when parking on that street during evening games. Residents on that block rightfully complained to the city about this for several years, hence the action taken.

McIntyre used to be my go-to parking for home games, too, so I understand why people hated losing it, but a few bad apples spoiled it for everyone.

Valparaiso University bears 100% responsibility for any and all parking problems on any and all streets surrounding the ARC for it's blatant disregard for providing adequate venue parking. Every argument between residents and game attendees desperately looking for a half-way decent parking spot in the dead of winter, every fender-bender on those dimly lit streets, every towed car whose owner failed to see some resident's handmade "reserved" sign, every pedestrian that has ever come close to being hit, every car that got stuck in an unplowed snowdrift, every announcement ever made over the PA that such-and-such car needs to be moved immediately or it will be towed, every slip and fall on unshoveled sidewalks and icy streets (myself included), even the "313" vandalism along those same dark streets - it's the exclusive responsibility of Valparaiso University. In a nutshell this is an abject institutional failure with never-ending consequences, for which university leadership past and present should feel completely ashamed. Unfortunately, judging by the fact that they've allowed it to go from bad to worse with every new project, they don't feel badly at all. All I sense anytime I find myself in that cluster over there is the pungent odor of institutional arrogance and disregard for the community it claims to embrace.

bigmosmithfan1

So your argument is because Valpo doesn't have enough parking, people are justified in blocking peoples' driveways and such on adjacent residential streets? Heh. So much for the "party of personal responsibility." Rules and laws are for the little people, right?

bbtds

zvillehaze

Quote from: talksalot on November 14, 2017, 03:30:05 PM
so a guy I work with had a son "attend an institution south of here about 120 miles who's gym name rhymes with Finkle... and in his senior year, he rented a house one block away... using game nights he paid for his books by charging $10 to park on his lawn (it wasn't his lawn, but it was his $10 !)

Good for him!  You guys should approve since he was taking money from Butler fans.  ;D :thumbsup: :twocents: https://www.butler.edu/lacyschool/entrepreneurship-innovation

zvillehaze

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on November 14, 2017, 07:54:57 PM
So your argument is because Valpo doesn't have enough parking, people are justified in blocking peoples' driveways and such on adjacent residential streets? Heh. So much for the "party of personal responsibility." Rules and laws are for the little people, right?

Totally agree with this.  My wife and I don't mind walking a little bit, so we park on residential streets for Butler (can I say that here?) games to save some $ and to avoid traffic leaving games.  However, we always make sure not to block residents' driveways or sidewalks.  If we have to walk a few hundred feet extra, we count it towards the workout we missed by attending the game.  A little common sense and respect goes a long ways.

With that said, Butler has done a lot to add available parking (added a new parking garage two years ago) for those willing to pay a few $ for something more convenient. 

wh

That's what you gleaned from my post?   :)

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on November 14, 2017, 09:06:18 PM

That's what you gleaned from my post?   :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the point of your post was if Valpo wants to promote basketball and encourage 4,000 to 5,000 people to attend games, they should have a plan that allows those fans to park somewhere reasonably close to the venue.  Am I close?

bbtds

Quote from: zvillehaze on November 14, 2017, 08:54:45 PMWith that said, Butler has done a lot to add available parking (added a new parking garage two years ago) for those willing to pay a few $ for something more convenient. 

Whenever I go to that fieldhouse that rhymes with Finkle I park on Boulevard a little north around 52nd Street.

zvillehaze

Quote from: bbtds on November 14, 2017, 09:36:18 PM
Quote from: zvillehaze on November 14, 2017, 08:54:45 PMWith that said, Butler has done a lot to add available parking (added a new parking garage two years ago) for those willing to pay a few $ for something more convenient.

Whenever I go to that fieldhouse that rhymes with Finkle I park on Boulevard a little north around 52nd Street.

Yep.  I park at Beverly and Graceland.  Under 10 minute walk across the football field to Finkle Hieldhouse.   ;D  Adding the parking garage has freed up a lot of spots on the residential streets over that way.

VULB#62

My dream, if you can call it that, is to demolish the LeBein annex and in it's place construct a parking structure that also incorporates additional quality stadium seating and a modern press box for Brown Field. Concordia Wisconsin did just that and it works pretty well. The parking for ARC events would be closer, have greater capacity, and would be mostly sheltered. That could justify a $5 charge for games. Downside is that it is the north side of an east/west field so the press box would face into the sun.

M

In the Construction on Campus thread a few of you thought that field should be a $5 parking spot.  One of you even emailed the AD.   :-X :crazy:

wh

Quote from: M on November 17, 2017, 10:18:28 AM
In the Construction on Campus thread a few of you thought that field should be a $5 parking spot.  One of you even emailed the AD.   :-X :crazy:

You need to read the entire thread for context.  For about the third time now, I said that move #1 must be to designate the entire lot directly across the street from the ARC to the south for event parking only. People would have to clear their cars out of there 2 hours prior to game time (same way the west lot works now so ml, AD dept. employees, mh, and trustees who never show will have preferential parking next to the building.  Notice how easily that gets taken care of when it's for themselves). 

By necessity, the south lot would become a $5 "pay" lot; otherwise, the same people who pulled their cars out of the lot 2 hours prior to the game would simply move back in and defeat the whose purpose.  THEN AND ONLY THEN, a decision would have to be made whether it is necessary to do the same at the annex lot to the north to keep the people who left the south lot prior to the game from simply moving to the annex and hogging those spots from basketball game attendees.  Instead of following this suggestion, what the university did was leave the south lot cluster fxxk the same as it is, and make the more remote annex lot a pay lot.  Stupid beyond belief, and not what anyone on this board suggested.

And, to the person who muddied the waters by saying that the university has already done what I suggested in part by designating a portion of the south lot for basketball parking only, let's set the record straight. First, exactly 40 of 200 spots have been designated for basketball parking only.  That's 20% of the the lot.  The other 80% of the lot remains for general parking and as I said last year, twice I arrived an hour before game time and the lot was completely full of student cars from the adjacent dorm, sorority row, and God knows who else.  Moreover, the 20% reserved for game parking is not a game time pay lot. It is for fans that buy (or are awarded) an expensive season parking pass. I have NEVER seen it more than half full, rendering it all but worthless.

agibson

Quote from: wh on November 17, 2017, 10:33:27 AMMoreover, the 20% reserved for game parking is not a game time pay lot. It is for fans that buy (or are awarded) an expensive season parking pass. I have NEVER seen it more than half full, rendering it all but worthless.

I maintain that it has value. The question may just be whether it's priced appropriately. At the moment it's kind of expensive, suggesting the university places a high value on not displacing the other users of the 200 space lot. They prefer to keep the basketball parking half-full, rather than making it cheaper so you have to compete for a spot, or cheaper and larger.

It's hard to know how to value the legitimate parking needs of e.g. students living in the adjacent dorm compared to those of visitors coming to a basketball game.

VUBBFan

It may be just me being silly, but it seems that if you build a venue you want people to come to, the parking lot right next to it should be the one you park in. Where else do you see Arenas or Stadiums with adjacent parking reserved for non events and ticket holders forced to park at remote lots?

agibson

Quote from: VUBBFan on November 17, 2017, 02:31:13 PMWhere else do you see Arenas or Stadiums with adjacent parking reserved for non events and ticket holders forced to park at remote lots?

Any time a stadium or arena's built in the middle of a campus or city? If it's built out on the outskirts of a campus or city, you can surround it with acres of asphalt for parking. If there are other buildings (offices, academic buildings, dormitories, other businesses) equally close to that arena-proximate parking it's far from clear that the arena should get to claim the parking.

How's parking at Wrigley Field, for example? It's been a while since I've been there. Seems like when I was a kid we either took the L, or paid some guy to park in his front yard. I'm sure there were parking spots closer to the field that weren't reserved for us! A glance at their website suggests they heavily encourage public transportation, offer remote parking with a shuttle, and some relatively nearby (but further than we walk for basketball games?) parking, presumably at a premium.

I suspect a lot of the students find the ARC a bit of a hike already. If you put it further out, where it could have its own dedicated parking, you'd presumably have even fewer students at games.

crusaderjoe

Is there no lot within a ½ mile or a 1 mile radius from the ARC that can be used for venue parking on game day?  Why not have remote parking and then run continuous shuttle buses for a fee to and from the ARC so fans can get to the game from that remote lot?  That would seem to solve a lot of problems.

Years ago when I went up to Tallahassee for Miami/FSU football, I parked at FSU's convocation center (basketball arena) for a fee and then took a shuttle to Doak Campbell.  It worked perfectly for us since we ourselves weren't tailgating.  It was extremely convenient, and I mean extremely convenient.  That was much easier than going to the old Orange Bowl in Little Havana.  I usually ended up parking on someone's lawn off the beat and path and was sometimes blocked in for awhile.