• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Key MVC games Thursday and Friday

Started by VUGrad1314, November 13, 2017, 08:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Here are some key dates coming up for our fellow MVC Members this week:

Illinois State vs South Carolina (Field also includes Boise State UTEP Iowa State Western Michigan Appalachian State Tulsa)

Indiana State vs Auburn (field also includes Clemson Dayton Ohio Temple Old Dominion Hofstra)

Drake vs Wake Forest (Would likely play Colorado next with a win Field also includes Liberty Houston Mercer Quinnipiac Drexel)

UNI vs SMU (Field also includes #20Purdue Tennessee Western Kentucky #6Villanova NC State #3Arizona)

Bradley vs Vermont (Field also includes Coastal Carolina UTSA NKU James Madison Iona Weber State)

I have a feeling that the 4-5 day stretch beginning this Thursday is going to tell us a lot about the strength of our new conference I hope every MVC team makes a strong showing in their respective tournaments.

talksalot

I'm mostly intrigued by the Bradley game with the Catamounts (I had enough relatives attend UVM to fill their arena); and they just played Kentucky TOUGH! at Rupp.

VUGrad1314

It's not a huge game but I'll be checking out Bradley against Delaware tonight I want to get as familiar with our new competition as I possibly can

talksalot

this is the third game in a series...this year is back at Peoria.     The "W" is on the DELAWARE site...

2016:  Sun,  Nov 13   Bradley   at Peoria, Ill.   W, 63-49
2015:  Tue,  Dec 01   Bradley   Bob Carpenter Center   W, 70-47

VUGrad1314

I'm aware that Bradley has struggled recently with Delaware and as a whole but I wouldn't read too much into those games. Those were years one and two of the Wardle era where he tore down and rebuilt the program in an attempt to change the culture. This is year three and this is the year many (myself included) feel that his changes are going to begin to bear fruit. I'm not yet bold enough to call a Bradley win tonight but I expect them to be much improved and I expect this game to be much more competitive than the previous two against Delaware

talksalot

VUGrad1314

Solid win by the Braves They beat Delaware 61-53.
My takeaways:
They look like a really strong defensive team that can rebound block shots and create runouts for their offense They look like they prefer to run and push tempo a bit but aren't a total run and gun team
They have some shooters that can hit from outside world regularity but don't appear to be an elite shooting team
Their offense leaves a lot to be desired but will probably improve as the season progress
They will be pesky and tough to play against and will present an interesting challenge in conference play
I'm looking forward to watching Valpo play them Should be a fun matchup

VUGrad1314

Illinois State tips off at 10:30AM on ESPN 2 vs South Carolina
Indiana State tips off at 11AM on ESPN U vs Auburn
HUGE day for the Valley ! Go ISUs!

VUGrad1314

Early second half Illinois State leads South Carolina 34-25 Indiana State is getting run by Auburn 54-31

vu72

Nice win by Illinois State 69-65.  No idea if South Carolina  is any good but still a win over a power 5.  Bruninga 19 minutes, 5 points, 5 fouls.  A real slugfest as 3 guys from SC fouled out.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

I get that they lost a lot of firepower in Thornwell and others but this is still a huge win that the conference can really hang it's hat on The fact that the game was played in Myrtle Beach making it a de facto home game for South Carolina cannot and should not be lost on anyone Now the Redbirds get another shot at a quality win as Boise State takes on UTEP They await the winner of that game

VUGrad1314

Bradley leads Vermont 32-26 at the half Keep it going Braves!

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on November 16, 2017, 12:44:57 PMNo idea if South Carolina  is any good but still a win over a power 5.

Pomeroy puts them at #42 even after the loss. Big win for IL State and the Valley!

Even if they're getting killed by Boise State. Were apparently down 74-42. Have climbed back to 77-56.

crusadermoe

Mo State choked at home vs. North Dakota State.

Bad home loss although NDSU might be good.  I don't follow the Summit.

Ironically, the Summit League (formerly the Mid=Continent) has since the re-naming moved itself rapidly toward the center of North America.  The MIDDLE OF THE CONTINENT is Rugby, North Dakota.   

FieldGoodie05

MVC  22-7
HL 14-11
Summit 12-13

Not a thorough snap shot, but liking the trending.

bbtds

Did anyone notice that after beating Iowa State the Milwaukee Panthers lose a game at Panther Arena in downtown Milwaukee to none other than Concordia-St Paul. Yes, that Concordia in St Paul,  MN, 69-55. What is it with Milwaukee?

oklahomamick

I saw uwm lose to d2 school.  Currently I'm between embarrassed and disappointed that i think the mvc should look at uwm and that would be my vote
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

MVC expansion pecking order:
1. Murray State+ Belmont or SLU
2. Murray State+NKU
3.NDSU+SDSU (the Dakotas)
4. Murray State by itself
5. Murray State+ Oral Roberts (please no)
6. Any other realistic option Milwaukee's D2 loss and bad attendance for the game against Elon that I watched today  have knocked them off my radar.

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 18, 2017, 01:30:14 PM
MVC  22-7
HL 14-11
Summit 12-13

Not a thorough snap shot, but liking the trending.

The SWAC is the only conference with a perfect record - 0-37!  :o

VUGrad1314

Drake Bradley and Illinois State combine for a 6-3 mark in their tournaments.
Wins: South Carolina Wake Forest Tulsa UTSA Drexel James Madison
Losses: Colorado Boise State Vermont (CU and Vermont were tough hard-fought close losses.) Well done! It should be noted that Illinois State is still without one of their better players and Bradley was missing their starting center.

Now the attention turns to Missouri State (Gulf Coast Showcase) VU and Loyola (Savannah Invitational) Evansville (Cancun Challenge) and UNI (Battle 4 Atlantis). Big week coming up!Go get'em MVC!

oklahomamick

Why so high on Murray St?  It has been a long time since the program was consistently went to the NCAA's
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Simple: More historical success, ability to sustain that success despite coaching changes, strong commitment to athletics, more recent success, fan base that travels really well and packs their arena, already within the MVC footprint, program is down to be sure but not the dumpster fire Milwaukee has been. I trust Murray State to come in and compete in the MVC right away more than I trust Milwaukee even if the upside exists for them in theory. They feel like a project like Loyola that will take years to get going if they ever do. They add nothing right now and anything they may add is unrealized potential they may never reach. What have they done since dirty Pearl left them that makes everybody want them so badly? All I hear from the pro Milwaukee to MVC crowd is selfish reasons "market great/fun city Alumni base close to us might move the tournament closer one day (no way) etc." Not a single valid basketball reason. MVC expansion needs to be about basketball and basketball ONLY The only reason Loyola looks like it's working out is because the MVC still had the Shockers to keep the conference afloat in the national conversation while the Ramblers got acclimated. Right now we don't have a flagship program and while the conference is certainly trending up right now we need more programs that will come in and compete right away to help keep the conference strong in these critical years. We don't have time to look at what a program might be we need to focus on what a program is right now. There is plenty to suggest that Murray State can help accomplish what the MVC needs right away. Milwaukee? Not so much. Play them in nonconference instead of the non D1s but don't invite them to the MVC. Not yet.

talksalot

Nice MVC win today.  UNI 76 NCState 72

VULB#62

Disagree.   ;)  Not nice. VERY nice. Any win over any team in the glamor ACC is to be savored  :thumbsup:

On a related note: I can't remember a string or series of posts when we were were so locked into what fellow HL teams were doing in the OOC games like we are doing now.  It is another reflection of how things have changed with the move to the MVC. It feels real good.

VUGrad1314

I can't remember a set of games scheduled across the conference that were so consistently interesting as to warrant this kind of comment and treatment when we were in the HL. But you're right it does feel good. Wins over SMU and an NCST team that beat Arizona the day before? Way to represent UNI! Now let's keep stacking the quality wins! Go Valpo! Go Ramblers! Go Panthers! Beat Kent State! Beat UNCW! Beat Villanova!