• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Alec Peters - Senior edition

Started by wh, August 23, 2016, 06:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairback

I watched this play about 20 times after the game after seeing live at the game.  I believe it was a good no call.  that first step after the last dribble is hard to pick up without slowing it down and watching over and over.

42 the defender had his hands all over alec before the drive.  Vashil wasn't necessarily set on his pick either...

ValpoDad89

That my friends, is what we call in today's game, the Euro step. Good for Alec to adapt his game!!! ;D

wh

wh

Ranking the Biggest Matchup Problems in College Basketball

#1of 15. Alec Peters, Valparaiso Crusaders

Find a way to shut down Alec Peters and you'll be setting a new standard, since it hasn't happened in quite some time.

The 6'8" forward has dominated the mid-major ranks for three seasons, taking it to another level in 2015-16 when he averaged 18.4 points and 8.4 rebounds per game while shooting 50.5 percent overall and 44 percent from three-point range. He went through the NBA draft process but withdrew to return to Valparaiso for his senior year despite being able to transfer somewhere more high profile as a grad student.

Primarily a jump shooter earlier in his career, Peters now goes inside to post up more often and can also blow by most defenders. His ability to hit from the perimeter causes teams to pull a big man away from the paint to guard him, thus opening the door for a drive to the basket.

Peters had at least three offensive rebounds in 16 of 37 games last season, and in eight of those games he also hit at least five threes. There's no spot on the court where he isn't able to do damage.

http://www.bleacherreport.com/articles/2667808-ranking-the-biggest-matchup-problems-in-college-basketball/page/16

wh

VU2014

https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/789154312618401793

Peters Earns Spot on Karl Malone Award Watch List

Thursday, October 20, 2016

"For the second consecutive season, Valparaiso University senior Alec Peters (Washington, Ill./Washington) has been named to the 20-player preseason watch list for the Karl Malone Award, as announced by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame on Thursday. In its third year, the award recognizes the top power forwards in Division I men's college basketball.

The Horizon League Preseason Player of the Year and recipient of numerous preseason All-American honors entering his senior season, Peters enters his final season looking to cap an already remarkable career. He was named an AP Honorable Mention All-American as a junior, averaging 18.4 points and 8.5 rebounds per game as the Crusaders advanced to the NIT championship game. Peters ended the campaign second in a single season in program history in scoring and fifth in rebounding, and enters his final year at Valpo fourth on the Crusader career charts in scoring and seventh in rebounding – on pace to break the program's career marks in both categories.

By mid-February, the watch list of 20 players for the 2017 Karl Malone Power Forward of the Year Award will be narrowed to just 10. In March, five finalists will be presented to Mr. Malone and the Hall of Fame's selection committee.  The winner of the 2017 Karl Malone Award will be presented at the ESPN College Basketball Awards in Los Angeles, CA on Friday, April 7, 2017. Broadcast information will be released at a later date. Previous winners of the Karl Malone Power Forward of the Year Award include Georges Niang, Iowa State (2016) and Montrezl Harrell, Louisville (2015).

Peters is one of just three players on the preseason watch list from outside the Power Five conferences, and is the only representative outside of the Power Five conferences, the Big East and the American Athletic Conference."

VU2014

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/791279594884169728

https://twitter.com/ValpoBasketball/status/791280194011226116

1. Grayson Allen | Duke | Junior | SF

3. Dillon Brooks | Oregon | Junior | SF (We're playing them Nov. 17th)

6. Bam Adebayo | Kentucky | Freshman | PF (We're playing them Dec. 7)- wow this dude doesn't look like he's in college.

11. Malik Monk | Kentucky | Freshman | SG (Dec.7)

15. De'Aaron Fox | Kentucky | Freshman | PG (Dec. 7)

16. Alec Peters | Valpo | Senior | PF

"Peters might play for a small school, but after he bypassed a chance at chasing the NBA, he could've put his name on the transfer market. If that had happened, every single program in the country would've made room for him. Instead, amazingly, he decided to stay at Valpo for his final season -- even after Bryce Drew left the Crusaders to coach Vanderbilt. Peters will probably average 20 points and nine boards. -- MN"

46. Tyler Cavanaugh | George Washington | Senior | PF (the guy who beat us in the NIT Championship game (really good player)

54. Chris Boucher | Oregon | Senior | PF (we play them Nov. 17th)

59. E.C. Matthews | Rhode Island | Senior | Wing (we play them at home Nov. 29)

90. Isaiah Briscoe | Kentucky | Sophomore | Wing (Dec. 7)

93. Luke Kornet | Vanderbilt | Senior | C (Bryce's player, Vandy's team isn't as talent depleted as people say. He has some pieces to work with)

https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/791284898862628864

https://twitter.com/LiveOnASN/status/791275359266336769

1.       Alec Peters | Valparaiso

"The best all-around player in America (18.4 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 50.5% FG, 44% 3 PT) and one of my favorites. Versatile with size. The senior hit 91 3-pointers last season, the most of any Division I player of his height (6-9) or taller."

https://twitter.com/EnthusiAdams/status/791277908014862336

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/791058112392204288

VULB#62

[tweet]791851429828845568[/tweet]

[tweet]791846248156307456[/tweet]

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 28, 2016, 08:48:36 AM
[tweet]791851429828845568[/tweet]

[tweet]791846248156307456[/tweet]

I hope he hits the boards and becomes a 22 10 man!

Pgmado

Quote from: bsmith21 on October 27, 2016, 10:59:23 AM
I love all the press that Peters is getting but think that Paul Orens comment on Peters not being on the cover is obvious. Clearly they are gonna put bigger and higher profile school players on the cover, their goal is to sell magazines. Unfortunately Peters just doesn't move product.

This tweet was in reference to all the White Sox fans that are complaining about how their team is overlooked.

Kyle321n

Quote from: Pgmado on October 28, 2016, 03:48:08 PM
Quote from: bsmith21 on October 27, 2016, 10:59:23 AM
I love all the press that Peters is getting but think that Paul Orens comment on Peters not being on the cover is obvious. Clearly they are gonna put bigger and higher profile school players on the cover, their goal is to sell magazines. Unfortunately Peters just doesn't move product.

This tweet was in reference to all the White Sox fans that are complaining about how their team is overlooked.

I'm a White Sox fan and a Valpo fan. I'm also an independent voter in a non-swing state. Life is tough being overlooked.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vufan75

VULB#62

Already posted 12 hours earlier and confirmed by Paul Oren.

vufan75

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 29, 2016, 08:31:46 AM
Already posted 12 hours earlier and confirmed by Paul Oren.
Sorry. I cannot open tweets on my phone that are just #'s. Must be some setting I need to change. But AP pub is worth the double post. [emoji6]

VU2014

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2016/11/16/13629838/nba-draft-2017-profile-alec-peters-valparaiso-crussaders

NBA Draft Profile: Alec Peters has the shooting touch to warrant a look at the next level
Examining the Valparaiso standout's NBA chances.
by Chris Schutte@ChrisSchutte3  Nov 16, 2016, 8:09am PST

For those who primarily watch the NBA, Alec Peters may not be a familiar name. But for those who keep up with the college game, Peters is as much a part of the mid-major landscape as anyone. The senior has been the cornerstone for a Valparaiso program that has become one of the better mid-majors during his time on campus. During his career, Peters has averaged 16.8 points per game on 49/43/82 shooting splits, and pulls down nearly seven rebounds per game. This year, Peters already has scoring outbursts of 23 and 36 points in Valpo's first two games.

It wasn't a given that Peters would spend his senior season at Valparaiso, or even in college basketball at all. Peters declared for the 2016 NBA Draft, went through the evaluation process, but was able to return to school due to the NBA's new early entry rule. There was speculation that Peters would follow Bryce Drew to Vanderbilt, but ultimately he opted to return to the Crusaders for one last ride.

Currently, Peters is projected to be an early second-round pick in next year's draft by DraftExpress. He's rated as the No. 6 prospect in the senior class, but will have to overcome the notion that younger players are more valuable assets to NBA front offices. Nonetheless, Peters will have his entire senior year to prove to GMs that he's worth a look.

Strengths

If there's one thing that Peters does better than anything else, it's shoot. With the NBA becoming an increasingly perimeter-oriented game, being able to score from the outside is a necessity. Peters is a career 42.6 percent shooter from three-point range, and is doing so on over five attempts per game.

Peters projects as a stretch four in the pros, but doesn't have the typical size or athleticism that other NBA power forwards have. Peters makes up for this lack of athleticism by having a quick release that he can get off from anywhere on the floor. He thrives in pick-and-pop situations, and makes defenders pay when they don't close out fast enough.

He's also able to utilize a solid face-up game when working out of the post. At only 6'8 and 225 pounds, Peters isn't able to physically overpower opposing bigs. He relies on his quick release and shooting off the catch to combat longer or more athletic defenders.

Also, as is the case with any senior, Peters has an elite feel for the game. It's cliche, but Peters truly has an understanding of how to make an impact. He picks his spots effectively, and is a solid team defender despite his physical limitations. In the NBA, there's value in just knowing how to play, and Peters provides that.

Weaknesses

Peters' biggest weakness has been made clear at this point: he lacks elite athleticism for an NBA forward. He's been able to overcome that against the competition in the Horizon League, but he will have to find ways to compensate for that lack of explosiveness at the next level.

This could become a particular problem on defense. If he's matched up against power forwards, they will likely punish him on the glass and around the hoop. If he gets matched up against small forwards on the wing, they will blow past him, or knock down open shots if he leaves too much space. Also, Peters has been a solid rebounder at the college level, but the size and athleticism of an NBA frontcourt will be tough to overcome.

One way that NBA defenses can defend Peters is with a hard close out, making him put the ball on the deck. Peters is skilled for a forward, but can struggle at times making plays and shots off the bounce. He will need to make defenses pay for running him off the three point line.

Projection

Overall, Peters can make a good case for being worthy of a draft selection. In the NBA, unless you're a superstar, it's better to have an elite skill rather than a bunch of average ones. Peters provides that with his shooting. As teams continue to construct rosters that are perimeter oriented, Peters can fill the role of a stretch four off the bench. If Peters continues to showcase his all-around offensive skill-set this season, it's likely that an NBA team will select him in the early-to-mid second round of the draft next summer.

vufan75

Nice compliment posted on Twitter by UK Coach Caligari about AP. Hope we can hang around with them unlike most opponents they are beating handily.

Calipari on Valpo & Alec Peters down the road: "You need to come to the game to watch this kid, he's that good."

StlVUFan

Some guy on NBA Draft Xpress did an excellent video analysis on Peters from the Oregon game.  No audio, the analysis was in text captions.  Pointed out his strengths and his weaknesses with an eye toward the next level.

valpotx

Anyone else think that the extra muscle that Peters put on this past summer is influencing his long-range shooting?  It doesn't look as fluid as it was the last 3 seasons, almost like he is still adjusting to being more tight in his upper body.  I am sure that he will figure it out, but it just doesn't look the same, regardless of whether he makes them or not.  His FG% is down because he is working on fade-away shots and his mid-range game, per the NBA scout recommendations, so I don't really have a worry on that side.  He is just starting to shoot those types of shots in live action games, so it will get better as the season progresses.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

I'm a little concerned by the analysis that puts so much of his draft stock on 3P%.

But, he's finding a way to get itiw n at the college level, in spades.

Before yesterday's game he was #5 nationally in PPG.

Has substantially more attempts than anybody else in the top 50 in FT%.

Maybe tops in FTM?

Top 50 nationally in rebounding.