• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pgmado

Thrilled to announce that every Monday I'll be hosting a Valparaiso-related podcast on NWI.com entitled "Union Street Hoops." Co-host Parker Gatewood and I will share good stories, have fun guests and take you behind the scenes on everything that's happening on Union Street and around the Horizon League.

Episode 1 reviews Valparaiso's offseason while looking ahead to the future.

I hope you enjoy and I really hope you share the link with all your friends!

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_4330295c-9f7a-11e6-b9e3-8fa6e8bd0715.html

bbtds

Interesting talksalot intro. Nice!

talksalot

Quote from: bbtds on October 31, 2016, 11:02:08 AMInteresting talksalot intro. Nice!

the "Children" and "No Smoking" have been the two constants over the years... and knowing the speakers! I thought at least the children one was appropriate!

Thanks to Paul and Parker for the shoutout.   by the way guys, it's:  CRUSADER....BASKETBALL on the other team turnovers.

valporun

Listened to the first podcast, and it was well done. Look forward to how it develops. I mean right now it is still in "construction phase", or what will there be to discuss, since we don't know a lot about what Matt Lottich will run for offense and defense, who will be definite starters, or who is bringing the ball downcourt as the PG. I know I would like to hear a lot about how the local fanbase is getting excited, or even how excited students are getting about the season, whether the student is a senior ValparaiZone member or a freshman that is new to on-campus college basketball.

Also, maybe this is in the works with their broadcast team, but will there be anything about the women's team during the season, or are you staying strictly men's basketball?

swiftmutiny

Love it, I'll be looking forward to next week's episode! You forgot "Future American Ninja Warrior" when introducing yourself though, Parker.  :thumbsup:

Kyle321n

This is great you guys!

Any way you guys could create feed on iTunes? I think it would help drive subscribers and listeners and it'd be easy for someone like me who keeps all their podcasts in one nice a neat location. It would be awesome for me to go from the FiveThirtyEight Podcast to the Jonah Keri Show to Union Street Hoops with the click of a button.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

Pgmado

Quote from: Kyle321n on October 31, 2016, 01:27:11 PM
This is great you guys!

Any way you guys could create feed on iTunes? I think it would help drive subscribers and listeners and it'd be easy for someone like me who keeps all their podcasts in one nice a neat location. It would be awesome for me to go from the FiveThirtyEight Podcast to the Jonah Keri Show to Union Street Hoops with the click of a button.

This is definitely something I'd like to do. The "pay the bills" side of the equation is that having the podcast on NWI.com helps drive people to the site. Hosting on iTunes brings awareness to the site, but doesn't get people there. It's something I'm hoping to work past eventually.

VU2014

Awesome!! Thanks Paul and Parker!!! Parker's my boy!

agibson

Quote from: Pgmado on October 31, 2016, 01:34:33 PMThis is definitely something I'd like to do. The "pay the bills" side of the equation is that having the podcast on NWI.com helps drive people to the site. Hosting on iTunes brings awareness to the site, but doesn't get people there. It's something I'm hoping to work past eventually.

Glad to hear it, and good luck! I'm not so surprised by the "we want clicks argument". But, I, for one, am ten times more likely to listen regularly (OK, maybe three times more likely in this case, since I'm definitely in the target demographic) if I can get it on iTunes, my default podcast medium.

Very cool that you've got a podcast going!

valpospartan

I just listened and enjoyed it a lot.

FWalum

Very enjoyable, I know you want players on the show, but what about forum members?  ;)
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Former players should be priorities! Would be great to hear from Vashil, EVic, etc.

Or in the off-season could delve further back into the catalog. Buggs is coaching now, etc.

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on November 01, 2016, 10:05:03 AM
Former players should be priorities! Would be great to hear from Vashil, EVic, etc.

Or in the off-season could delve further back into the catalog. Buggs is coaching now, etc.

Almost just as interesting would be former opposition players. After his sister graduates it would be interesting to see if Evan Bruinsma's view of Valpo changed a great deal.

Pgmado

Quote from: bbtds on November 01, 2016, 10:48:42 AMAlmost just as interesting would be former opposition players. After his sister graduates it would be interesting to see if Evan Bruinsma's view of Valpo changed a great deal.

Stay tuned for Episode 2 then...

vu72

Nobodies mentioned anything about the point guard situation.  Union Street said that Lexus will get the start.  I was surprised to hear that Max was moved to shooting guard which is where his fellow Canadian plays and where he most likely will get even less playing time.  Finally, it was encouraging to hear about Sorolla and how he will bring a dimension different from Derrik. Also the fact that John Kiser could be a real sleeper with skills.  Great stuff for the starved basketball junkie.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

Way better then the one the UWM fella does with the guy from CSU.  They sound like they are in the back of a windowless van.  :-X

VU2014

Podcast: Union Street Hoops (Episode 2)

NWI Times reporter Paul Oren and co-host Parker Gatewood review Valparaiso's exhibition contest against Hillsdale. Special guests include Jason Karys and E. Victor Nickerson.

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_748e4cec-a48c-11e6-ba24-d7bb55ff7ce9.html

dgrmgr

The love for student managers in Episode 2 is thrilling.  Kudos to Karys on the big moment.

Pgmado

Union Street Hoops is now available on iTunes as well as NWI.com.

agibson

Quote from: Pgmado on November 07, 2016, 03:40:18 PM
Union Street Hoops is now available on iTunes as well as NWI.com.

Fantastic!

ValpoFan

I have an android phone. Is there an easy way to get the podcast?
Searching for union street hoops on nwi.com doesn't return any results.

agibson

Quote from: ValpoFan on November 08, 2016, 02:58:58 PM

Doubtless there are Android users here who can give you a better answer than I - if not I can try to expand.

I guess there's no iTunes for Android? Is that why Stitcher has made inroads into the podcasting market? Are they the Android alternative?

But, assuming that NWITimes doesn't make the podcast available on an alternate platform like Stitcher: It sounds like you can relatively easily download the podcast onto iTunes on a computer, and then sync/move it from there to your Android phone with the likes of Google Play or Google Drive. Once you get the podcast file onto your computer's iTunes it is, in part, just a file and can presumably be moved over to your Android phone in a variety of ways.

I'm not sure what you'd do if your _only_ computer was an Android phone.

a3uge

Quote from: ValpoFan on November 08, 2016, 02:58:58 PM

A)

Try the soundcloud app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.soundcloud.android&hl=en

The feed is here:

http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:266379182/sounds.rss

B)

Try the Pocket Casts app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.shiftyjelly.pocketcasts&hl=en

This is what I use, and it's okay. I submitted the feed to their site, so it should show up if you search union street hoops. If not, paste that same feed in.

ValpoFan

Thank you guys for the help. Sound cloud worked great!