• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2017-18

Started by VU2014, April 07, 2017, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Thought it may be time to start this thread Topic.

VU2014

A rumor that Coach Jackie Manuel may be joining the UNCW staff. We just lost Coach Warner. I get the UNC connection but it would be a step down in my opinion. But maybe he wants go closer to home. Something to keep an eye on.

https://twitter.com/BGMull/status/850346423061291010

valpotx

They made the tournament, and we didn't...
"Don't mess with Texas"

bigmosmithfan1

Also could be a more senior assistant position, i.e., a move up responsibility-wise.

FieldGoodie05

TAYLOR Bruninga on an official visit at UNI this weekend.  Whatever happened with our interest in him?

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 07, 2017, 06:26:46 PM
TAYLOR Bruninga on an official visit at UNI this weekend.  Whatever happened with our interest in him?

I really wanted us to offer him. He sounds like a really good player and could probably get really early playing time. I think what happened is just a log jam at that position. 3 Freshman PFs would be a lot and it probably wouldn't make Mileek or Parker happy to see another recruit coming in. I wish we could red shirt him his Freshman year (I believe there is some loop hole that allows that. Someone mentioned it before). He'd be a great fit on our team.

Quote from: valpotx on April 07, 2017, 01:35:47 PM
They made the tournament, and we didn't...

Look at UNCW's previous records beyond the last 2 yrs. Not pretty at all. They just lost their coach too.

In terms of program pedigree/history: Valpo >>>> WNCW (not even close)

justducky

I think somebody suddenly realized that there is a limit to the number of projects you can advance at once.

SanityLost17

Quote from: justducky on April 07, 2017, 07:42:53 PM

I think somebody suddenly realized that there is a limit to the number of projects you can advance at once.

I am still a little worried about next years recruits and think maybe this guy would have been a better option than the Merrillville kid.  After a horrendous end to this season, there is going to be a lot of pressure on these guys to step up and make us competitive.  I really hope they are ready and capable.  All have some positives, but all have some major flaws in their game also.   

I am not worried about Tevonn.  I think he will be ready to shine and really carry this team at times.  I am also confident that one of the two big men will have a great season.  Not sure which one yet, but one of them will step up.   

Next year is big.  Lottich's 1st recruiting class.   Do we carry our momentum forward?  Do we lose it for a year and then get it back?  Or are these recruits ready to keep moving us forward.   

Going to be a fun/anxiety filled next couple of years as we see how all of this unfolds. 

valpo64

If we would go to the MVC it is imperative that we do it as soon as possible, or at least announce our intentions a.s.a.p. because it could have a big effect on our recruiting.

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on April 08, 2017, 01:30:30 PM
If we would go to the MVC it is imperative that we do it as soon as possible, or at least announce our intentions a.s.a.p. because it could have a big effect on our recruiting.

I don't think MVC would have a "massive" impact on recruiting but I do think it could give a small boost. More brand recognition the Horizon League. I think it will be a small psychological selling point to the parents of the kids who probably remember the glory days of the MVC. Might help a bit.

Maybe it will have a bigger impact then I'm giving it credit for. There is absolutely no doubt that being in the MVC helped attract better recruits for Loyola. Loyola has been quite pedestrian in their 4 yrs in the MVC so far but if you look at the roster they project to be better the next few years and maybe tick up in competitiveness.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on April 08, 2017, 04:26:40 PMI don't think MVC would have a "massive" impact on recruiting but I do think it could give a small boost. More brand recognition the Horizon League. I think it will be a small psychological selling point to the parents of the kids who probably remember the glory days of the MVC. Might help a bit.

For Taylor Bruninga it would be huge. With Bradley being 12 miles away and Illinois State within 60 miles of Mapleton his parents would have two easy trips and Indiana State (3 hours), Northern Iowa (4 hours) and Southern Illinois (4 hours) aren't too bad either. 

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on April 08, 2017, 07:44:11 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on April 08, 2017, 04:26:40 PMI don't think MVC would have a "massive" impact on recruiting but I do think it could give a small boost. More brand recognition the Horizon League. I think it will be a small psychological selling point to the parents of the kids who probably remember the glory days of the MVC. Might help a bit.

For Taylor Bruninga it would be huge. With Bradley being 12 miles away and Illinois State within 60 miles of Mapleton his parents would have two easy trips and Indiana State (3 hours), Northern Iowa (4 hours) and Southern Illinois (4 hours) aren't too bad either. 

Good point bbtds. Seems like he'd be a great fit, but they are worried about too many Freshman at the same position. Bruninga sounds like he'd be more of a polish product and be able to be "relied" upon more as a freshman. Also sounded like he wanted an offer. Hope it doesn't haunt us if we move to MVC and he lands at one of UNI or ISU.

valpo64

We should go after him if he has any interest at all  I still like the "thumbs up" from the Peters family when Jeff P says the kid  is just like Alex was in his senior year...same type of player. I'd be happy with a guy like that even if we had a couple of other big men.

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on April 08, 2017, 08:13:45 PMSeems like he'd be a great fit, but they are worried about too many Freshman at the same position. Bruninga sounds like he'd be more of a polish product and be able to be "relied" upon more as a freshman. Also sounded like he wanted an offer. Hope it doesn't haunt us if we move to MVC and he lands at one of UNI or ISU.
I would love to have him but with 11 scholarships now taken it has come down to numbers and immediate impact. Golder and Calhoun (if he accepts our 12'th scholarship) should be able to provide modest help right away. We need that depth of versatile experience and that is why they were targeted. That leaves us one more opening for a major level player transfer. As long as we are hot on the heals of one I wouldn't worry about what might have been. Today not offering makes sense. If he kills us sometime in the future then we can stand in a circle and curse our stupidity.  >:(

valpopal

Quote from: justducky on April 08, 2017, 11:20:38 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on April 08, 2017, 08:13:45 PMSeems like he'd be a great fit, but they are worried about too many Freshman at the same position. Bruninga sounds like he'd be more of a polish product and be able to be "relied" upon more as a freshman. Also sounded like he wanted an offer. Hope it doesn't haunt us if we move to MVC and he lands at one of UNI or ISU.
I would love to have him but with 11 scholarships now taken it has come down to numbers and immediate impact. Golder and Calhoun (if he accepts our 12'th scholarship) should be able to provide modest help right away. We need that depth of versatile experience and that is why they were targeted. That leaves us one more opening for a major level player transfer. As long as we are hot on the heals of one I wouldn't worry about what might have been. Today not offering makes sense. If he kills us sometime in the future then we can stand in a circle and curse our stupidity.  >:(

I wonder if we are holding the last scholarship for the possibility of Fazekas?

swiftmutiny

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: swiftmutiny on April 09, 2017, 07:57:43 AM
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/851027913705103360

Should be a fun game.

Great alumni pull for VU.  Though I hope it's not a Wednesday night or some junk like that.

FWalum

I wonder if this is because they finally feel good enough not to be threatened by a mid major?  Plus perhaps the fact that they feel we would potentially be down this year?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

SanityLost17

Quote from: FWalum on April 09, 2017, 09:12:11 AM
I wonder if this is because they finally feel good enough not to be threatened by a mid major?  Plus perhaps the fact that they feel we would potentially be down this year?

They know we are going to be in rebuilding mode early in the season.  Makes sense to schedule us this year.  We will start the season ugly and get better every game and still finish in the top 200RPI.  Gives them a semi-decent win and they get to play us when we are still figuring out roles.  Plus, we will travel well to NW so they make a lil extra money.  Also, now is the time to assert their superiority over us for future recruits.  Very smart all the way around on their part.     

VU2014

Quote from: swiftmutiny on April 09, 2017, 07:57:43 AM
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/851027913705103360

Should be a fun game.

I believe Valpo played Northwestern this preseason in an unofficial exhibition game behind closed doors.

Anyone remember what the score or results were? 

Also good on the Coaches for creating that connection last summer. Should be a really fun game. I'm definitely going to be there for that game. Northwestern is going to have a new arena next season.

Correction: The exhibition was last season not this past season.
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/646718561055059968

bbtds

If it's next season (17-18) Northwestern is playing their home games at the Rosemont All State Arena. They are remodeling Welsh Ryan Arena and the Wildcats won't get it back till fall of 2018.

DePaul is moving into their new arena at McCormick Place for 2017-18.

VU2014

Would be nice if Valpo's ARC staff and Athletic Department would take notice to this tweet...

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/854461048220528640

VULB#62

(note: I have not been to an ARC BB game in quite some time due to distance constraints) I appreciate the music they play over the PA system during football games (assuming that is what is played over the ARC sound system) - to an extent. I also appreciate that our kids have a different "musical" tastes than previous generations. However, it is like many weddings I have been to in the last 20 years. 60-75% of the invited guests are a generation (or more) older. They would love to dance - and occasionally they would like to do a slow dance. But the kids just want their music and as a result the majority of invited guests sit around for a while and then just leave. However, most rock from the last 50 years is universal. At all Valpo athletic events I would like to hear is a mix of music that responds to both the athletes and students and also the fans who are $$$$$$$upporting these programs. This is especially true when the student section is practical empty for ____ fill in the excuse ___ .

Oh, and then you have the aenemic pep band that plays many songs that have no pep ( again, it is not the fault of those dedicated kids)    ....      It is my understanding that at one point the athletic department funded the pep band but in a coup the music department took over the band (and the athletic paid-for instruments).  What is left is what we've got (without support of the music department).  To put this into perspective Valpo used to have a pretty good (and big) marching band.  Oh, and from what I have read, we don't even have a good sound system.

VU2014

I'm totally cool with have the classics played but I think there is a lot of room to add younger generations music. Just need to find a better blend and mix of new and old schools music. I think the older crowd would be fine with some newer music as long as it was tasteful and upbeat (which is definitely doable).

The real thing I would like the ARC staff/Athletic Department to address is the Family Express commercials. There has to be a way not to make people go deaf during those commercials/ads blasting over the speakers. Completely kills the vibe and takes away from the Pep Band (which has had its own issues the last year or 2.)

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 18, 2017, 07:42:53 PM
Oh, and then you have the aenemic pep band that plays many songs that have no pep ( again, it is not the fault of those dedicated kids)    ....      It is my understanding that at one point the athletic department funded the pep band but in a coup the music department took over the band (and the athletic paid-for instruments).  What is left is what we've got (without support of the music department).  To put this into perspective Valpo used to have a pretty good (and big) marching band.  Oh, and from what I have read, we don't even have a good sound system.

I believe someone mentioned before that they were a Music Student when they were on campus and they mentioned that the Music Students looked down on the Pep Band or thought they were above the Pep Band. Some what understandable I guess since those students really take their craft seriously and have high standards.

One "solution" could be that Music students are required to take a "1-credit" course (maybe instead of PE (which is a required course for freshman)) to play in the Pep Band for all home games. That would REALLY give a boost to the pep bands talent level. I'm sure many students would rather take the 1-credit of Pep Band then have to do a PE course (which was utterly ridiculous back when I did it).

Also just for a frame of reference for this the song Paul was referring to in the tweet if you want to give it a listen:
-Not exactly my go to music but has a good beat and is clean. Pretty much what expect to be played at Basketball game during time outs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYh-n7EOtMA