• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

FBI arrests several NCAA Power Conference asst. Bball coaches on corruption

Started by VU2014, September 26, 2017, 09:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoDad89

With respect to Louisville and June 3rd, that's right around the time they came out of no where and ended up signing Brian Bowen. The irony kills me. We all know the game is stacked against programs like Valpo and this is commonplace among the P5-6 schools but I hope Louisville gets the worst possible penalty just because of how they skated, in my opinion, on that Prostitution scandal earlier. Hell with it I hope all these schools get medieval type punishments. Not sure the NCAA can sweep this one under the rug but if any organization can or try to it would / will be them.

As a side note who knew former Pacer "great" Chuck Person's middle name was Connors? I asssume his parents were big "Rifleman" fans.

M

Chuck Person is a 3 point assassin in NBA Jam On Fire Edition...

Basketball is such a sleazy game off the court...all the way down to the middle school level.  I lost a 7th grader (I'm an 8th grade coach) to a high school coach who moved the kid's mom to an apartment in his school district. 

NativeCheesehead

"In response to these allegations against Louisville, we would like to announce we're placing Northern Kentucky on five years probation."

-NCAA

VU2014

Quote from: M on September 26, 2017, 10:48:37 AM
Basketball is such a sleazy game off the court...all the way down to the middle school level.  I lost a 7th grader (I'm an 8th grade coach) to a high school coach who moved the kid's mom to an apartment in his school district. 

That is insane! Was the kid a basketball prodigy or something? Regardless it is pretty crazy to take things to that level over youth basketball.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on September 26, 2017, 11:00:13 AM
Quote from: M on September 26, 2017, 10:48:37 AM

That is insane! Was the kid a basketball prodigy or something? Regardless it is pretty crazy to take things to that level over youth basketball.

Holy cow, I was just being sarcastic when I posted this to the 2019 Recruiting string.  Who knew?

My answer: it's parading the kids on the court for all the attending representatives to glare at, oo and ah at, and scramble over. It's a meat market where the prime cut of meat goes to the highest bidder. I find it demeaning on the part of all parties. But, I guess, that is the nature of big time college basketball.

I can see a pro day at a university for college kids going pro, but now it's happening at the HS level.  Next, middle school kids will have open gyms to attract HS coaches (assuming the current administration's pursuit of school choice). Is it any wonder young athletes feel entitled and some even think they are above rules?

Time magazine did a front page story of the business of youth sports. It has become a multi-million dollar industry. When does this end?

VUOR63

justducky

All together now----

LOCK THEM UP!   LOCK THEM UP!   LOCK THEM UP!     :thewave:    :cheers:   

crusadermoe

Just like the NFL it seems we are killing the golden goose.  When the money gets so big it seems there are incentives big enough for assistant coaches to take big risks of their careers. 

If you want to rinse the money out of the sport, it will take years.  Go after TV sponsors buy buying by not buying big brand name razor blades, cereal, or beer.   Those are the biggest mark up products for advertising budgets.   I get 6 off-brand travel razors for a dollar.  Right next to them in the store are same from Gillette and Schick at 2 for $8.00. 

Now if I can just find a place to buy a no-name generic car.   :)   And generic suits to stiff Mens' Wearhouse.   :lol:

JD24

Based on what I've read on this, we may be talking a tip of the iceberg situation and not just in NCAA basketball.

Louisville has just announced they are under investigation by the FBI. Those are not words anyone wants to hear.

crusadermoe

justducky

Quote from: JD24 on September 26, 2017, 02:17:21 PMLouisville has just announced they are under investigation by the FBI. Those are not words anyone wants to hear.

Wrong! I am glad that those type of programs are being looked at. Make that very, very glad! Now if we (VU) somehow get drug into this then I will not want to hear it but I will, and then it would not be the FBI that I was angry with.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on September 26, 2017, 02:17:21 PM
Based on what I've read on this, we may be talking a tip of the iceberg situation and not just in NCAA basketball.

Louisville has just announced they are under investigation by the FBI. Those are not words anyone wants to hear.
[/b]

Kinda like your secretary coming into your office and telling you "Mike Wallace is here and has some questions for you", only a lot worse!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

After the investigation is done, I expect the NCAA to come down hard on these schools; these punishments will be felt for years to come.

...lol just kidding

VULB#62

Valpo, please be clean. Please be clean. Please be clean. And BTW, please be clean.

valpo4life

Pitino and the AD are out. Let the coaching carousel start up again, but this time at a dangerously fast rate. Dominoes are going to start falling fast, Auburn has lost a 5 star commitment and is offering full refunds on all season tickets. This will be a crazy time.

Would anyone call me crazy for suggesting Scott Drew to Louisville seems like the best move possible? He maxed Baylor out from nothing. And this would bring the family just a quick drive away for everyone.

vu72

Quote from: valpo4life on September 27, 2017, 11:12:05 AM
Pitino and the AD are out. Let the coaching carousel start up again, but this time at a dangerously fast rate. Dominoes are going to start falling fast, Auburn has lost a 5 star commitment and is offering full refunds on all season tickets. This will be a crazy time.

Would anyone call me crazy for suggesting Scott Drew to Louisville seems like the best move possible? He maxed Baylor out from nothing. And this would bring the family just a quick drive away for everyone.

That would make a lot of sense and the Louisville fix would be a piece of cake compared to Baylor, which is still having significant problems, just not in basketball.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

vusupporter

VU2014

Gotcha  :thumbsup: thanks for pointing that out. I didn't notice that. Removed that last tweet.

crusader05

Drew to Louiseville might make sense unless they are banned from competing for any length of time.

UNIFTW

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 26, 2017, 10:49:34 PM
Valpo, please be clean. Please be clean. Please be clean. And BTW, please be clean.
You're not.
UNI isn't
SIU isn't
ISUr isn't

No one is "clean". Just varying degrees of dirty.

We aren't at a level the feds will care about. Chances of us using money funneled from our equipment supplier is also about zero, which is where most of this stems.