• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

FBI arrests several NCAA Power Conference asst. Bball coaches on corruption

Started by VU2014, September 26, 2017, 09:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

It would truly be a shame  (and a sham) if the institutions involved in this corruption scandal only got a slap on the wrist and kept their past NCAA shares while the individuals who committed the corruption bore the brunt of the penalties (and jail time?).  I agree with those below who advocate current and retro penalties (essentially stripping these institutions of their ill-gotten gains) as well as penalties and restrictions going foreward rather than just going-forward penalties as is the NCAA's usual approach to these things.  This has got to hurt them big time and it has to send a clear message to all FBS/P-5 schools.

wh

Just 4 months ago the former President, Vice President and Athletic Director of Penn State were all sentenced to prison time for failing to inform authorities about the Sandusky abuse situation.  Certainly, Paterno would have as well, had he lived. The same needs to happen here.  Any university official at any level who knew what was going on and failed to report it should be terminated and criminally prosecuted.     

3 Ex-Penn State Officials Get Jail Time For Failure To Report Sandusky Abuse

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/02/531243225/3-penn-state-officials-sentenced-to-jail-time-for-failure-to-report-sandusky

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on October 02, 2017, 11:34:38 AM
Just 4 months ago the former President, Vice President and Athletic Director of Penn State were all sentenced to prison time for failing to inform authorities about the Sandusky abuse situation.  Certainly, Paterno would have as well, had he lived. The same needs to happen here.  Any university official at any level who knew what was going on and failed to report it should be terminated and criminally prosecuted.     

3 Ex-Penn State Officials Get Jail Time For Failure To Report Sandusky Abuse

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/02/531243225/3-penn-state-officials-sentenced-to-jail-time-for-failure-to-report-sandusky

As I wrote my post that just preceded yours, WH, the Penn State scenario went through my mind.  In addition, wasn't PSU also sanctioned like $60 million too?

valpo84

This scandal reminds me so much of this speech from Blue Chips (I think Paul O also posted this on his twitter).  One of those movies that if it's on, you suddenly realize 2 hours have gone by.  What's ironic is the college coaches who make cameos in it, e.g. Pitino, Boeheim and Tark.  It was accurate in 1994 and still applicable today. By the way, I'm sure ya'all know this, but there are 2 Valpo "connections" in this movie.  You want to read about this type of stuff 25 years or so ago also read Personal Fouls (1991) by Golenbock or Raw Recruits (1990).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfCg4QTiQSU

"I like to think of C.M. Newton [University of Kentucky Athletic Director] as the school's director of corrections." Bob Knight, referring to UK's reputation for putting less-than-outstanding public citizens on the team, Herald Times October 1990
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VULB#62

This is an opinion piece in the October 3rd NY Times.  Quite relevant (my bolding).

How the N.C.A.A. Cheats Student Athletes
Brian Rosenberg
NY Times, OCT. 3, 2017

The N.C.A.A. is embroiled in scandal yet again. Last week, federal prosecutors charged several coaches, an agent and a sports apparel executive with, essentially, illegally profiting off branding opportunities for basketball players.  That shouldn't really surprise anyone. This scandal isn't truly about corrupt coaches and shoe salesmen. It's about the lengths to which the N.C.A.A. goes to control every dollar and branding opportunity associated with college athletics.

An illegal economy has operated behind high-level college athletics for a long time. Its root cause is that universities with powerhouse sports teams like U.C.L.A., Ohio State and Texas receive nearly $20 million a year from brands like Adidas or Nike, while the athletes wearing the Adidas or Nike apparel are expected to compete purely for the love of the game.

College basketball players are worth a lot of money, but they aren't legally allowed to make it. So the schools, coaches, agents and shoe companies make the money instead — all in the name of "amateurism."

It's clearly time to revise the rules of the N.C.A.A. in favor of the students. But as simply paying the players seems to be a non-starter, let's begin by reforming the association's bylaw that prevents college athletes from promoting any personal creative endeavor if they even mention that they participate in a sport.

Here's an example from Macalester College, where I am president. Our school is fortunate to have as a student a young man (whose name I can't mention) who has published a book (whose title I can't cite). The book has nothing whatsoever to do with athletics, but among his many activities at the college, he participates in an intercollegiate sport (which, of course, shall remain unspecified).

Most people not associated with the N.C.A.A. would consider this an impressive diversification of skills and interests. But N.C.A.A. bylaw 12.5.1.3, otherwise denoted as "Modeling and Other Non-athletically Related Promotional Activities," specifies that, in promoting the book, no reference can be made to the individual's "involvement in intercollegiate athletics."

What does this mean in practice? It means that the author's book biography cannot state that he participates in a college-level sport. It means that, in publicizing the book to students or alumni, the college cannot mention that the author is a student athlete. It even means that the student cannot mention the book on his Facebook page because his Facebook profile shows photos of him engaging in the unspecified sport.

Presumably this rule was written to prevent a college athlete, whether from a Division I sports juggernaut or a Division III college like Macalester, from making piles of money after revealing he is an intercollegiate athlete. The N.C.A.A. wants to prevent some Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback or some one-and-done power forward at the University of Kentucky from writing a book or modeling a sweater in order to profit from his collegiate athletic celebrity.  Of course, the reasonable response to this concern is: What's wrong with a person profiting from his own accomplishments and celebrity? Isn't that more or less the way it's supposed to work? But the N.C.A.A., not content with the billions in TV and merchandising revenue it already takes in, is determined to leave no spare change under the couch cushions.

Lest you think I exaggerate, look up the case of the two athletes at the University of Iowa who started a T-shirt screening business and were threatened with ineligibility by the N.C.A.A. because their website mentioned that they met because they were both — brace yourself — swimmers. Or the more recent case of a cross-country runner at Texas A&M who was threatened with ineligibility for posting a YouTube video about a water bottle company he started.

The most repugnant aspect of this N.C.A.A. rule is that it runs directly counter to the optimal American college education. We want students to have multiple interests, multiple facets to their personal and academic lives, and to explore openly how those various identities play out. We want a student athlete to think — and talk — about what it means to be an athlete and an author, or an athlete and an entrepreneur, or an athlete and an artist. But a student who designs and sells greeting cards and mentions on her Facebook page that she is a softball player risks losing her athletic eligibility. That is shameful.

Bylaw 12.5.1.3 has got to go.   Given all of the stereotypes about student athletes as prizing sports over academics, one would think that the N.C.A.A. would be enthusiastic about opportunities to shatter those. But given the choice between doing so and inadvertently allowing an athlete to profit from even the most tangential connection to his or her own athletic efforts, the N.C.A.A. has decided to force students to disguise who they are.

For those few students who star in Division I, it is an invitation to enter into a sad but unsurprising underground economy. For Division III athletes, the hypocrisy is a dispiriting act of silencing. For anyone who cares about fairness, it is a disgrace.  [Brian Rosenberg is the president of Macalester College.]

covufan

Quote from: valpo84 on October 03, 2017, 08:08:28 AMBy the way, I'm sure ya'all know this, but there are 2 Valpo "connections" in this movie.

I'm guessing here, but Matt Nover came from nearby Chesterton, and probably played at Valpo HS.  Larry Bird probably played at Hilltop if ISU came to town in the '70's.

vu84v2

Matt Nover's Western University jersey was up in Buffalouie's for many years. Not sure who the other connection to Valpo is.

vu84v2

Just remembered it....Rex Walters was one of the many extras that served as players in Blue Chips. Rex is a former assistant at Valpo.

wh

Quote from: covufan on October 03, 2017, 04:02:31 PM
Quote from: valpo84 on October 03, 2017, 08:08:28 AMBy the way, I'm sure ya'all know this, but there are 2 Valpo "connections" in this movie.

I'm guessing here, but Matt Nover came from nearby Chesterton, and probably played at Valpo HS.  Larry Bird probably played at Hilltop if ISU came to town in the '70's.

Not a direct connection, but Shaq played for Dale Brown at LSU. Homer Drew was an Asst. to Dale at LSU once upon a time.

78crusader

Bird did play at VU in '78.  I was there.  It took him 4 seconds to score.  Opening tip went to ISU, long pass down to Bird in the corner.  Swish.  I think he finished with 44 points but I'm not sure.

Paul

bbtds

Quote from: 78crusader on October 03, 2017, 08:08:33 PMBird did play at VU in '78.  I was there.  It took him 4 seconds to score.  Opening tip went to ISU, long pass down to Bird in the corner.  Swish.  I think he finished with 44 points but I'm not sure.

Valpo played Indiana State at the very end of the 1976-77 year at Hilltop. March 5, 1977.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana-state/1977-schedule.html

Bird's ISU team was 16-2 going into the final game of their season. Valpo's team of Hostetler (from LaPorte), Ashby (from South Bend), Roark, Petties and Kipfer weren't that easy to beat. Schmelzer and Kizer were part of that excellent team too. The Sycamores beat VU by 7, 77-70 but I believe Valpo had to come back from 20 down and Bird may have been coasting in the final game that was pretty well won early on. The Sycamores had only lost to Purdue and Illinois State that year. They ended up playing in the N.I.T. and lost to Houston (with Otis Birdsong) that year.

The year ISU went to the NCAA tournament final and lost to Magic Johnson's Michigan State was 1978-79.

Valpo did not play ISU in either 1977-78 or 1978-79.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana-state/1978-schedule.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana-state/1979-schedule.html

valpo84

Seeing some really good other potential connections in the movie.  Rex is correct.  There is another more direct connection and it does relate in great part to LSU.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

covufan

Quote from: valpo84 on October 04, 2017, 07:50:54 AM
Seeing some really good other potential connections in the movie.  Rex is correct.  There is another more direct connection and it does relate in great part to LSU.
This has me thinking about how Dale Brown helped us get a walk-on by the name of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Jr), but he would have been too young for the Blue Chips movie.

https://sites.google.com/site/play2winhoops/player-profiles/kareem-abdul-jabbar-jr-g-f

Now I'm trying to remember if there was an assistant coach, other than Rex, that may have had a part in the movie and possibly played at LSU.

vu84v2

Geert Hammink, father of Shane, played on the Indiana team (lead by point guard Bobby Hurley).

JD24

Quote from: 78crusader on October 03, 2017, 08:08:33 PM
Bird did play at VU in '78.  I was there.  It took him 4 seconds to score.  Opening tip went to ISU, long pass down to Bird in the corner.  Swish.  I think he finished with 44 points but I'm not sure. Paul

March 5th, 1977 at Hilltop. Bird  went 34, 12 and 3 in the game. Only appearance vs. The Crusaders.

sliman

Don't know if someone advised Valpo to not respond or if no one was available to do so, but I don't like the image that a lack of response allows:

courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2017/10/05/fbi-hoops-investigation-indiana-university-kentucky/731441001/

covufan

Quote from: sliman on October 05, 2017, 10:24:18 PM
Don't know if someone advised Valpo to not respond or if no one was available to do so, but I don't like the image that a lack of response allows:

www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2017/10/05/fbi-hoops-investigation-indiana-university-kentucky/731441001/

From article:

Valparaiso University in Indiana was the only college to not respond to a request for comment about the FBI investigation.

If indeed Valpo has not been contacted, we need to update the Courier-Journal.

crusader05

The story has been updated with Valpo's response saying they have not been contacted

covufan

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 06, 2017, 04:46:22 PM
Pitino made $145 million off Addidas deal (pocketed 98% of the contract)
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/report-rick-pitino-took-98-percent-of-money-in-deal-adidas-has-with-louisville/ar-AAsY4l9?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Think about the Cleveland State graduate transfer, Trey Lewis, who left for Louisville only to find out his beloved Rick Pitino and the Louisville program had committed violations, and were caught, that kept Louisville from playing in the NCAA tournament in his only chance to play in the big dance. I wonder what Trey Lewis thinks of Pitino now. Or did Trey Lewis get a kick back from one of the shoe companies?

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on October 07, 2017, 09:21:48 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on October 06, 2017, 04:46:22 PM
Pitino made $145 million off Addidas deal (pocketed 98% of the contract)
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/report-rick-pitino-took-98-percent-of-money-in-deal-adidas-has-with-louisville/ar-AAsY4l9?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Think about the Cleveland State graduate transfer, Trey Lewis, who left for Louisville only to find out his beloved Rick Pitino and the Louisville program had committed violations, and were caught, that kept Louisville from playing in the NCAA tournament in his only chance to play in the big dance. I wonder what Trey Lewis thinks of Pitino now. Or did Trey Lewis get a kick back from one of the shoe companies?

I believe by the time he transferred he knew they were under investigation. I don't feel too bad for him in that case. You have to know what you're walking into at that point.

Interestingly Cleveland State played at Louisville Trey Lewis's junior year.... I know some Cleveland State fans that legitimately think that was the day Pitinio's staff reached out to him to ask him to transfer.

Valpo had a slightly similar case with Brandon Wood... Valpo played Michigan State during the 2009-2010 season and Brandon Wood went off for 24 points and that was probably the moment he appeared on Izzo's radar. He eventually transferred for the 2011-2012 season. I don't think Wood was getting paid but Izzo's staff apparently reached out during the 2010-2011 season to start recruiting. We all knew Homer was not initially happy with the way that went down. This was all pre-grad transfer movement that is extremely common now days.

Just Sayin

Quote from: crusader05 on October 06, 2017, 05:05:40 PM
The story has been updated with Valpo's response saying they have not been contacted

Bruce wouldn't have been involved with anything like this.

VU2014

Quote from: Just Sayin on October 07, 2017, 10:34:55 AM
Quote from: crusader05 on October 06, 2017, 05:05:40 PM
Bruce wouldn't have been involved with anything like this.

Which Bruce are you referring to?

EDIT: I'm guessing you meant Bryce. And yes I agree I don't think Bryce would be involved in this either.