• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

FBI arrests several NCAA Power Conference asst. Bball coaches on corruption

Started by VU2014, September 26, 2017, 09:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Let's be honest, if it wasn't Michigan St. it would have been someone else.  Wood never stayed at the same place longer than a year.....no disrespect
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on October 11, 2017, 09:17:16 AM
Let's be honest, if it wasn't Michigan St. it would have been someone else.  Wood never stayed at the same place longer than a year.....no disrespect
[/b]

Two years at Valpo.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

https://twitter.com/NewsOK/status/918149966174081026

http://newsok.com/article/5567594?utm_source=NewsOK.com&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=ShareBar-Twitter

New York grand jury looking for NCAA violations by OSU basketball players
By: Nolan Clay & Randy Ellis 
Published: October 11, 2017

Oklahoma State University has received a subpoena from a New York grand jury asking for all documents and communications regarding "actual or potential NCAA rules violations" by players and coaches of the men's basketball team, The Oklahoman has learned.

The subpoena is linked to a college basketball bribery investigation that earlier led to the arrest of fired OSU assistant basketball coach Lamont Evans and some assistant coaches for other teams.

Evans was fired by the university after the scandal surfaced. He is charged with conspiracy to commit bribery and five other counts related to allegations that he solicited bribes to steer promising young athletes to specific financial advisers.

The subpoena demands that OSU either gather the evidence and turn it over to a New York FBI agent by Oct. 17, or have a university representative prepared to travel to New York and appear in person before the grand jury to testify at that time.

"Failure to attend and produce any items hereby demanded will constitute contempt of court and will subject you to civil sanctions and criminal penalties, in addition to penalties of the law, " Joon H. Kim, acting United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, states in the grand jury subpoena that was dated Sept. 27 and obtained by The Oklahoman through an open records request.

The subpoena is far-reaching in the types of records being demanded, requesting emails, text messages, cellular phone records, social media messages, computer records and a host of other documents and electronic records covering the time period from Jan. 1, 2014 to the present.

Even handwritten notes in the possession of OSU regents and employees are being demanded.

Evidence of men's basketball NCAA violations is just a small part of records the grand jury is demanding.

I still do NOT believe Joe Burton was involve because he never played for Lamont Evans or that coaching staff but I thought I'd share this. The New York grand jury just subpoenaed Oklahoma State's records all the way back to Jan. 1, 2014.

VU2014

I don't think Coach Cal is a bad person but I'd be willing to wager my lifetime earnings that he has cheated in recruiting in his career. We all know Derrick Rose didn't even take his SATs to get into Memphis and the school knew about it. If remember correctly he left for Kentucky when Memphis got it hit up with the punishment. We also know while he was at UMass Marcus Camby was paid by booster that Cal "allegedly" had no clue about  :crazy:. Once UMass got hit with the penalties he left for the NBA if I remember correctly.

Kentucky is "1 & Done" University and is a Nike school which we now know Nike is being investigate a long with Adidas. Finally it was confirmed Kansas was under investigation yesterday. I hope these cheating blue-bloods go down in a blaze of justice...

https://twitter.com/ClaySTV1/status/918528853081026562

valpo64

Coach Cal has had problems, investigations, etc. at every major school he has coached.  Does anyone REALLY think that his Kentucky stay is squeeky clean?   Look for Kentucky and Kansas to be among the next batch of schools exposed with problems regarding this investigation.

ValpoDad89

Guys, not to rehash this stuff as it only angers me, especially with respect to Jubril. ..but heard Brian Bowen COULD possibly play this year and I want to absolutely hurt someone in NCAA administration. Why??? Because this kid knew his family was getting paid 6 figures and played along. Well...the FBI and their investigation is concluding that the family got money but he "possibly (or they can't prove)" didn't know anything about it. Now he technically isn't suspended or illegible by the NCAA but I know that Louisville is holding back as its really"a BAD PR problem should he play this close to the season beginning (not to make light of situations but more of public perception, had they only known Weinstein, Spacey, Moore, etc...) Bowen would be playing now.

But word has it Louisville wants to part ways and he wants to transfer and wherever he goes, supposedly Tyger Campbell, will follow. That's why Tyger has reopened hasn't committed as of yet and reopened his recruitment as he committed to DePaul in May and Bowen and the FBI BS didn't happen until June so Tyger went back and wanted closer to Bowen money. He didn't get it so he bailed. Again, his decommitment was after he knew what Bowen got and prior to the FBI. We'll see...

JD24

Probably a predictable move but some of the defendents in the case have filed a motion to dismiss because what the defendents are accused of may be in violation of NCAA rules but not a Federal Crime.

QuoteThe lawyers for Adidas executives James Gatto and Merl Code and former AAU coach Christian Dawkins say want the charges dropped because what they did doesn't break federal law. The motion were sent to U.S. District Court Judge Lewis A. Kaplan on Friday.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/12/23/fbi-investigation-lawyers-seek-dismissal

M

Like the lottery picks are going to care 😂. Anxious to see how this shakes out.

VU2014

I'm sort of anxiously awaiting the FBI investigation looking forward to the College Hoops Corruption case to come out. I'm also a little worried about what the long-term unintended ramifications could be from the fallout of this case.

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/966468230255710208

oklahomamick

I have read reports of Wichita St. being one of the school listed. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 23, 2018, 03:50:44 PM
I have read reports of Wichita St. being one of the school listed. 

Creighton was also listed. Both former MVC powerhouses.

What's crazy is this is the only 1 agent's client list that got leaked. Many more schools and players could come down the road.

oklahomamick

Only hope the punishment fits the crime.  So many times the powerhouses escape untouched
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 23, 2018, 04:25:59 PM
Only hole the punishment fits the crime.  So many times the powerhouses escape untouched

I bet nothing significant will happen. The NCAA will pay lip service and maybe some coaches get canned and the NCAA takes down some banners and issues a fine but it won't hurt these schools too much.

The NCAA doesn't want to throw down the hammer on the big $ programs because they don't want them to form their own organization and leave the NCAA in the dust, but they are know not to bite the hand that feeds them. The NCAA is run by Power Conference Cronies and the P5 commissioners.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on February 23, 2018, 04:33:07 PM

I bet nothing significant will happen. The NCAA will pay lip service and maybe some coaches get canned and the NCAA takes down some banners and issues a fine but it won't hurt these schools too much.

The NCAA doesn't want to throw down the hammer on the big $ programs because they don't want them to form their own organization and leave the NCAA in the dust, but they are know not to bite the hand that feeds them. The NCAA is run by Power Conference Cronies and the P5 commissioners.
[/quote]

Well yeah, the schools are the NCAA - it's not really a separate organization.

The NCAA only enforces what the schools allow them to. 

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on February 23, 2018, 04:33:07 PMThe NCAA is run by Power Conference Cronies and the P5 commissioners.
If enough clean Power Conference also-rans united in action then maybe some well deserved hard examples could be set. That would require some courage by the brotherhood of backs scratchers.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: IrishDawg on February 23, 2018, 06:12:53 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on February 23, 2018, 04:33:07 PM

Well yeah, the schools are the NCAA - it's not really a separate organization.

[/quote]

This is a multi-billion dollar company, it will not go into the night quietly.  Nor will the NCAA develop morals. 

The majority of Americans will not boycott the NCAA events or teams so nothing will happen to programs.  There is no rape, there is no transgender personhood at stake.  Companies will not back out of advertising at any absurd clip.  Werner ladders will continue their sponsorship as long as they are solvent.

I predict a whole lot of posturing, some FBI arrests and some retroactive post season bans only if it reaches past the head coach.

When the trials are over in the fall the dust settles and the tremors subside.  Sort of wish I could press fast forward on the whole experience...

VU2014

JD24

I'm pretty comfortable that Sean Miller didn't know anything about the $100,000 payment to DeAndre Ayton he was heard discussing on an FBI wiretap. ???

This, of course, according to sources.

Chairback

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 23, 2018, 07:38:50 PMThis is a multi-billion dollar company, it will not go into the night quietly.  Nor will the NCAA develop morals.

This is so true.

The NCAA will spin this to their favor and will have min impact in the long run. 

bbtds

Quote from: IrishDawg on February 23, 2018, 06:12:53 PMWell yeah, the schools are the NCAA - it's not really a separate organization.

The British government is thinking of having a government minister overseeing football (soccer) and some of the issues that have plagued that sport. It would include the fair-play (FFP) rules and allowing owners to have a fair chance at adding footballers that even up the game. Like the NCAA there are a big 6 in the Premier League that don't seem to be able to be moved from their top positions. This seems similar to the p5 conferences. Maybe Congress should have a commissioner that oversees the NCAA who doesn't have a monetary connection to the organization.

NativeCheesehead

In response to these issues, the NCAA has suspended Jubril for another year.