• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Hypocrisy at is Finest

Started by ValpoDad89, October 04, 2017, 07:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoDad89

Derrick Rose, played for Memphis one year and helped lead them to the title game against Kansas. Scores a 19 or whatever qualifying score he got to get in and be eligible to play. Eventually after 3-4 years or so the NCAA realizes he had someone take his ACT test for him. They vacate the FF4 and assess Memohis a penalty of 1 or 2 lost scholarships for a year or two. The coach who was instrumental in this recruiting had already moved on to Kentucky where he is getting blue chip after chip, more so than his predecessors Tubby Smith, Rick Pitino or the great Adolph Rupp ever got. Nothing, zip, nada in the way any sanctions against him. 3-4 years it took the NCAA. Not to be one to disparage a millionaire with a checkered past but by his interviews as a pro one can see he was not a 19 ACT score taker. His brother Reggie (living vicariously through Derrick because he was limited) insulated him from the press during his HS career. Note Reggie "worked" for FedEx a Memphis based company and supporter of Memphis athletics for a year in a high end paying job. HYPOCRISY!!!

Enter Shane Larkin. Top 50 recruit. Chooses DePaul. Now I know some hate my DePaul references but here me out. Verbals and signs with Oliver Purnell the then coach of said program. Enrolled in summer classes and decides after a few weeks he is suffering "anxiety" attacks and needs to leave. Now Shane is the son of baseball legend and Cincy Red SS Barry Larkin. He decides to go to Miami and leads them to a deep run in the NCAA's his sophomore year that gets him drafted in the 1st round by Milwaukee I believe. Now I cannot blame him as he probably saw the garbage at DePaul he'd be playing with but a commitment is a commitment. Word was Larranga never stopped recruiting him. Ergo he ends up at Miami which is a 3-4 hour drive from his home in Tampa from DePaul which is a 2.5 hour flight into O'Hare. NCAA rules him immediately eligible due to medical hardship. HYPOCRISY!!!

Enter Jubril Adekoya who was accused of cheating on a test...one test!!! By someone who's credibility could be questioned and he sits a year because the NCAA couldn't make a decision or decided not to. HYPOCRISY!!!

I love that the FBI got 5 maybe more of these top level programs for doing what we all knew all along but the NCAA will wait in the wings until things die down and it will be business as usual, promote these programs. The problem with the FBI investigation is it alerted the rest to do a better job of keeping their "house" clean and are now on high alert. Meanwhile schools like Valparaiso University play on a continued unlevel playing field. HYPOCRISY!!!

ValpoDad89

I meant the title to be HYPOCRISY at its Finest.

VULB#62

You can modify your subject because you are the original author.

VU2014

The only thing dirtier then cheating by paying players out of High School is recruiting kids while they are attending and playing for another school. Unfortunately it happen ALL THE TIME now days even when kids are in the middle of a season.

I have absolutely no respect for the scumbag coaches that actively recruit kids that are attending another school already. Its happen way too often to mid-majors. I'm willing to bet coaches were trying to recruit AP while he was at Valpo his last few years. Its truly unethical to me and it happens all the time unfortunately.

Side Note: This is true hypocrisy right here...  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/915000291694608384

Valpower

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on October 04, 2017, 07:39:01 PM
Not to be one to disparage a millionaire with a checkered past...
Not sure what you mean here, though, if one's wealth excuses their indiscretions, we can see how Donald Trump got elected. (For what it's worth, I don't think you were saying that once someone has accumulated a certain amount of wealth you become reluctant to criticize them, but this statement sure could use some clarification.)

IrishDawg

The NCAA has no subpoena power, nor the threat of jail time.  It's easy to avoid NCAA sanctions as long as no one talks (i.e. Duke not having an issue after Lance Thomas magically receives a $30,000 piece of jewelry, the jeweler wants payment so squeals to a reporter, but then doesn't want to talk to the NCAA because he has a sudden change of heart... or someone from Duke paid off the debt with the understanding that bought his silence).  That's how head coaches avoid these penalties through plausible deniability and taking care of their fall guys or accusers so no one chats too much.

I guess I need a refresher on the Adekoya incident, but I thought it was Valpo that kept delaying his hearing and then eventually decided to keep him off the floor to prevent any potential NCAA violations from occurring. 

It's been long understood that these things go on with the elite recruits, which is precisely why I welcome this FBI investigation.  I don't think it'll take care of all the cheaters (or even most of them), and they haven't even gotten into college football, which is as bad, if not worse than college basketball is.  But my hope is that heads will roll, because the more that do, the better off the sport will be.

agibson

Quote from: IrishDawg on October 05, 2017, 08:18:11 AMI guess I need a refresher on the Adekoya incident, but I thought it was Valpo that kept delaying his hearing and then eventually decided to keep him off the floor to prevent any potential NCAA violations from occurring.

My recollection/understanding is that Valpo was waiting for an NCAA decision, and then for the resolution to the appeal of that decision.

Valpo probably could have, optimistically, had Jubril play hoping that he would ultimately be cleared. Since he wasn't, I guess this would have meant forfeiting all the games he played in?

Perhaps Valpo could have never brought the issue to the NCAA in the first place.

valpotx

Larkin was drafted by the Atlanta Hawks, but was a draft night trade to the Dallas Mavericks, and played here 2-3 seasons, before we traded him.
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on October 04, 2017, 07:39:01 PM
Derrick Rose, played for Memphis one year and helped lead them to the title game against Kansas. Scores a 19 or whatever qualifying score he got to get in and be eligible to play. Eventually after 3-4 years or so the NCAA realizes he had someone take his ACT test for him. They vacate the FF4 and assess Memohis a penalty of 1 or 2 lost scholarships for a year or two. The coach who was instrumental in this recruiting had already moved on to Kentucky where he is getting blue chip after chip, more so than his predecessors Tubby Smith, Rick Pitino or the great Adolph Rupp ever got. Nothing, zip, nada in the way any sanctions against him. 3-4 years it took the NCAA. Not to be one to disparage a millionaire with a checkered past but by his interviews as a pro one can see he was not a 19 ACT score taker. His brother Reggie (living vicariously through Derrick because he was limited) insulated him from the press during his HS career. Note Reggie "worked" for FedEx a Memphis based company and supporter of Memphis athletics for a year in a high end paying job. HYPOCRISY!!!

Enter Shane Larkin. Top 50 recruit. Chooses DePaul. Now I know some hate my DePaul references but here me out. Verbals and signs with Oliver Purnell the then coach of said program. Enrolled in summer classes and decides after a few weeks he is suffering "anxiety" attacks and needs to leave. Now Shane is the son of baseball legend and Cincy Red SS Barry Larkin. He decides to go to Miami and leads them to a deep run in the NCAA's his sophomore year that gets him drafted in the 1st round by Milwaukee I believe. Now I cannot blame him as he probably saw the garbage at DePaul he'd be playing with but a commitment is a commitment. Word was Larranga never stopped recruiting him. Ergo he ends up at Miami which is a 3-4 hour drive from his home in Tampa from DePaul which is a 2.5 hour flight into O'Hare. NCAA rules him immediately eligible due to medical hardship. HYPOCRISY!!!

Enter Jubril Adekoya who was accused of cheating on a test...one test!!! By someone who's credibility could be questioned and he sits a year because the NCAA couldn't make a decision or decided not to. HYPOCRISY!!!

I love that the FBI got 5 maybe more of these top level programs for doing what we all knew all along but the NCAA will wait in the wings until things die down and it will be business as usual, promote these programs. The problem with the FBI investigation is it alerted the rest to do a better job of keeping their "house" clean and are now on high alert. Meanwhile schools like Valparaiso University play on a continued unlevel playing field. HYPOCRISY!!!

As a big Greek Freak and Bucks fan, they absolutely did not draft Larkin.

JD24

Atlanta drafted Shane Larkin and traded his rights to the Mavericks. He's bounced around and is now with the Celtics. He's also from Orlando not Tampa.

ValpoDad89

Thank you Valpo 62, I honestly didn't know that.

Valpower my commentary was meant as being facetious. Rose is a millionaire and I guess I should Not disparage him but the system in general. Whether he played at Memphis or not we all knew he'd be a lottery pick but the University he played for gamed the system and I have issues with that. Calipari knew what he did and was what going on. Just like Pitino knew what was going on with the prostitutes and partying with incoming recruits. Pitino got what he deserved no doubt. BUT It pains me that a man has not one but TWO Final Fours vacated. How is he still coaching? And he is set up for more success despite this "Investigation". He is BIG TIME dirty but the NCAA turns a blind every time.

And Valpotx, I forget where and who Larkin got drafted by. I knew he was a first rounder. My apologies.

Bottom line, I live in Chicago and had some meetings in downtown Indy. On my my way back to Carmel to my Hotel which is a 20-30 minute drive North I passed by the NCAA offices and on my drive I started thinking and what a mess they are and how they balance the whole damn game to ensure they it meets their ends. What the NCAA doesn't want relative to football, is for them to start to their own league / leagues and they fear their money maker will follow suit so they bow down to these conferences.

The FBI exposed the wrongs with respect to a few schools. Everyone is now on heightened alert and within a year 2, maybe 3 it will be business as usual with these schools using a different vessel to transfer funds. I'm pretty much done with pro sports and what I always counted on was the Butlers, George Masons, VCUs making March fun. It showed the little guy could. But they are working on killing that. How does a P5-6 conference get 6 teams in? Sometimes 7 or 8. Ridiculous if you ask me.

I won't ever stop being a Valpo fan because once you go Valpo you can't go back again but I want us to be on a semblance of a fair playing field.

bbtds

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on October 08, 2017, 07:16:41 PMBottom line, I live in Chicago and had some meetings in downtown Indy. On my my way back to Carmel to my Hotel which is a 20-30 minute drive North I passed by the NCAA offices and on my drive I started thinking and what a mess they are and how they balance the whole damn game to ensure they it meets their ends. What the NCAA doesn't want relative to football, is for them to start to their own league / leagues and they fear their money maker will follow suit so they bow down to these conferences.

There is a canal next to the NCAA headquarters in downtown Indy. Just like the canals in Venice Italy which seem like a romantic setting for a gondola ride until you realize that the citizens of Venice mostly use the canals as sewers, dumping all kinds of waste into them, the canal in downtown Indy is most appropriate as a symbol of the NCAA dumping their waste and disgusting garbage into what looks to be a beautiful waterway but hides the removal of an awful stench from the NCAA building.

valpo64