• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #9 - Purdue @ Mackey Arena Thursday, Dec 7

Started by talksalot, November 29, 2017, 09:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpolaw

I didn't watch Purdue northwestern today but saw Purdue won by 5. Looks like Haas had a big game for Purdue. Purdue also shot 24 free throws to northwestern's 5 total free throws which is likely the difference in the game.

I think if we can contain Haas and not have a huge free throw disparity like northwestern had, then we win. I'm fearful that our bigs are going to have a long night and lots of fouls though.

VU2014

Quote from: valpolaw on December 03, 2017, 07:33:50 PM
I didn't watch Purdue northwestern today but saw Purdue won by 5. Looks like Haas had a big game for Purdue. Purdue also shot 24 free throws to northwestern's 5 total free throws which is likely the difference in the game.

Purdue is at their best when both of their bigs are consistent because it causes defenders to cheat on the perimeter and Purdue's backcourt gets more open looks from behind the arc. Haas has looked good the last few games but he is notorious for disappearing some games. They're freshman big is huge but still inconsistent as well. We need to contain them and limit the second chance points and DON'T FOUL! We need both Derrik and Jaume to step up that night.

I think if we can contain Haas and not have a huge free disparity like northwestern had, then we win. I'm fearful that our bigs are going to have a long night and lots of fouls though.

I'm also worried about the officiating and not getting any calls. Big 10 refs are some of the most friendly hometown refs in the business. I just don't want us picking up cheap fouls early or else it could be a long night.

VU2014

VU2014

VU2014

SanityLost17

I seem to remember a game we played @Wisconsin 10 or 12ish years ago that we should have won if not for an unreasonable foul disparity.  Perhaps I am miss remembering, the disparity may not have been awful, but the last 5 minutes of the game seemed like a 4 to 1 situation with Wisconsin getting all the calls down the stretch.     

FWalum

Quote from: SanityLost17 on December 04, 2017, 07:12:42 AM
I seem to remember a game we played @Wisconsin 10 or 12ish years ago that we should have won if not for an unreasonable foul disparity.  Perhaps I am miss remembering, the disparity may not have been awful, but the last 5 minutes of the game seemed like a 4 to 1 situation with Wisconsin getting all the calls down the stretch.     
A painful memory. With about 4:30 left in that game it was like the refs said "wait a minute, we can't let Valpo win the game" and from that time on we didn't get one call. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

EddieCabot

I think if we can contain Haas and not have a huge free throw disparity like northwestern had, then we win. I'm fearful that our bigs are going to have a long night and lots of fouls though.

I think Valpo has a size and athleticism advantage at the 1, 2 and 3 spots.  The key will be slowing down V. Edwards and Haas.  Valpo has the size to match up, but is still relatively young in the front court.  Big games by Walker and Burton ... VU by 2.

VUGrad1314

We're getting some love on MVCFans Some are actually picking us to pull the upset over Purdue. I hope we prove those folks right. Go Valpo!

VUGrad1314

I'll say this: IF we can get through these next three games unscathed and avoid a let down in California I could see this team heading into it's first matchup with UNI 18-0. This won't be easy though, but it could happen. Go Valpo!

agibson

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 04, 2017, 01:44:03 PM
I'll say this: IF we can get through these next three games unscathed and avoid a let down in California I could see this team heading into it's first matchup with UNI 18-0. This won't be easy though, but it could happen. Go Valpo!

And ranked #12 in the country! You're a couple of steps ahead of me. Beat Purdue and maybe I'll get on your bandwagon.

covufan

Quote from: agibson on December 04, 2017, 02:13:44 PM

And ranked #12 in the country! You're a couple of steps ahead of me. Beat Purdue and maybe I'll get on you bandwagon.
I'd take 17-1!  I think we'll be 16-2 going into the UNI game.

VUGrad1314

SanityLost17

You guys are drinking way too much cool-aide.   These road games are going to expose our flaws.   A moral victory would be losing by less than 10 at Mackey.  I think we are better than pre-season expectations, but we are not as good as our record currently indicates.   Plus, at least once or twice every season we have a completely head scratching loss that makes not sense.   We will have a few of those this year as well in addition to the games we are clear underdogs. 

covufan

Quote from: SanityLost17 on December 04, 2017, 02:46:48 PM
You guys are drinking way too much cool-aide.   These road games are going to expose our flaws.   A moral victory would be losing by less than 10 at Mackey.  I think we are better than pre-season expectations, but we are not as good as our record currently indicates.   Plus, at least once or twice every season we have a completely head scratching loss that makes not sense.   We will have a few of those this year as well in addition to the games we are clear underdogs. 
Maybe.  I think we have a legitimate shot against Northwestern, but we need to play a good game.  The road games at Indiana St and Bradley could show some problems, especially if we don't play well.  One thing I really like about this team is the talent and depth.  How many different scoring leaders have we had in 8 games?  How many rebounding leaders in those games?  I think we have 9 players averaging above 3 rebounds per game, and no one more than 5.1.  If a few players are not scoring or playing defense well, we have another 7 players eager to come in with a spark.  They all know that if they get the hot hand, the rock will come to them.  This team lifts each other up.

FieldGoodie05

Absurd, Absurd, Absurd.

Valpo13

Anyone plan on making the drive down?  I'll be in section 109.

justducky

Quote from: SanityLost17 on December 04, 2017, 02:46:48 PM
I totally agree. We are very good but we have yet to prove that we can shoot from outside, or defend, or minimize turnovers against top level competition.
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 04, 2017, 01:44:03 PMI'll say this: IF we can get through these next three games unscathed and avoid a let down in California I could see this team heading into it's first matchup with UNI 18-0.

If this actually happens I will gladly cook up an old VU cap (well done to an ash powder) and wash it down with a quart or gallon of cold fresh milk from Family Express. Book it!  :thumbsup:

VU2014

Does anyone think this long layover between games could actually hurt us? Maybe the guys won't come out sharp after its been over a week since the Utah State game?

It obviously could help getting practice time and letting guys rest up before the big 6 away game stretch. I remember Coach Lottich said in one of the interviews that he was looking forward to adding certain features to the offense over this break. I hope we can find of more consistency in our half-court offense as the season goes along. That's probably been one of our weaknesses thus far. I also think it will help Joe get into better rhythm on offense as the season goes along.

bbtds

Quote from: SanityLost17 on December 04, 2017, 02:46:48 PMat least once or twice every season we have a completely head scratching loss that makes not sense.

Agree. I don't believe this team is different from past really good Valpo teams. We have some weaknesses. We will have some head scratching loss that makes not sense. I'm no sensing an 18-0 team going into the UNI game.

ml2

Just went back and looked - over the last three seasons Purdue is a combined 24-3 at home against other Big Ten teams. It is a tall order for anyone to go into that arena and get a W.

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu84v2

I give Valpo a less than 5% chance of winning this game. It is nothing against Valpo - they are just a team that is developing well, but has not developed enough to play with a team like Purdue. Valpo has too few options on offense to avoid long scoring droughts and is not developed enough at the 4 and 5 to handle Purdue's bigs (many in D1 would have a problem with them). I think Valpo loses by 20-25. What I am looking for is whether there are 5-8 minute stretches when Valpo plays even with them and whether Valpo's defense is as good as it seems to be.

I think that Valpo has a much better chance against Northwestern.

VU2014

ESPN game "predictor" gives Valpo a 9% chance, which sounds about right in my book. There is a chance but we'd need to have a very hot shooting night and for Purdue to not have a great game. Mackey is an very tough place to play. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=400986412

Prediction:
Purdue 87
Valpo 68

All I really want is a good showing. If we can push Purdue at times during the game, I'd be very pleased. Purdue is a very strong team.