• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #14 - MVC Run Starts @ Indiana State December 28 6pm NBCSports Chicago

Started by talksalot, December 21, 2017, 08:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoFan

I am not usually a fan of long posts but I feel like I have no choice but to share this experience. So bear with me.
Being on a break and having a slow week, my wife and I decided to make an overnight trip to Terre-Haute to witness the beginning of a new era and visit a town we have never been to. As we pulled into the first parking lot in front of the arena, a gentleman asked us if we had permits, which we didn't, he nicely directed us to the next lot literally across the street. As I was driving there, my wife was getting her purse to pay for parking except for the young man who was directing traffic telling us that parking was free!!! That's right. We parked 100 steps away from the stadium entrance for free.
We went into the stadium (Hulman Center) and what a beautiful facility that is. Not a new facility, opened in 1973 but is extremely well maintained and is a wonderful place to watch a basketball game. We were sitting in the lower bowl, around 10 rows up behind the Valpo bench. But the seats are set up in a way that gave me the feeling that I could tap coach Lottich on the shoulder or participate in the time-out conversation. Needless to say, every single one of the 10k seats in the arena is a real padded seat. No bleachers and no wooden seats. The lighting, the audio system, and the concession stands were all top notch. The halftime show was NOT a group of 6th graders playing basketball. It was a guy doing frisbee tricks with his dog. It was interesting enough for people to actually watch (imagine that).
To summarize, I can't help but think how disappointed other MVC fans will be when they come to Valpo. Heck, I myself will be disappointed parking across campus and skiing through the snow tomorrow to sit on a slab of wood for two hours. I am not sure how, but Valpo is now playing with the big boys and we need to step up our game - both on and off the court. 

VU2014

Quote from: ValpoFan on December 30, 2017, 12:33:30 PM
I am not usually a fan of long posts but I feel like I have no choice but to share this experience. So bear with me.
Being on a break and having a slow week, my wife and I decided to make an overnight trip to Terre-Haute to witness the beginning of a new era and visit a town we have never been to. As we pulled into the first parking lot in front of the arena, a gentleman asked us if we had permits, which we didn't, he nicely directed us to the next lot literally across the street. As I was driving there, my wife was getting her purse to pay for parking except for the young man who was directing traffic telling us that parking was free!!! That's right. We parked 100 steps away from the stadium entrance for free.
We went into the stadium (Hulman Center) and what a beautiful facility that is. Not a new facility, opened in 1973 but is extremely well maintained and is a wonderful place to watch a basketball game. We were sitting in the lower bowl, around 10 rows up behind the Valpo bench. But the seats are set up in a way that gave me the feeling that I could tap coach Lottich on the shoulder or participate in the time-out conversation. Needless to say, every single one of the 10k seats in the arena is a real padded seat. No bleachers and no wooden seats. The lighting, the audio system, and the concession stands were all top notch. The halftime show was NOT a group of 6th graders playing basketball. It was a guy doing frisbee tricks with his dog. It was interesting enough for people to actually watch (imagine that).
To summarize, I can't help but think how disappointed other MVC fans will be when they come to Valpo. Heck, I myself will be disappointed parking across campus and skiing through the snow tomorrow to sit on a slab of wood for two hours. I am not sure how, but Valpo is now playing with the big boys and we need to step up our game - both on AND off the court. 

Agreed.

CC: President Heckler, Board of Directors, Mark LaBarbera

VUGrad1314

Quote from: ValpoFan on December 30, 2017, 12:33:30 PMI am not usually a fan of long posts but I feel like I have no choice but to share this experience. So bear with me. Being on a break and having a slow week, my wife and I decided to make an overnight trip to Terre-Haute to witness the beginning of a new era and visit a town we have never been to. As we pulled into the first parking lot in front of the arena, a gentleman asked us if we had permits, which we didn't, he nicely directed us to the next lot literally across the street. As I was driving there, my wife was getting her purse to pay for parking except for the young man who was directing traffic telling us that parking was free!!! That's right. We parked 100 steps away from the stadium entrance for free. We went into the stadium (Hulman Center) and what a beautiful facility that is. Not a new facility, opened in 1973 but is extremely well maintained and is a wonderful place to watch a basketball game. We were sitting in the lower bowl, around 10 rows up behind the Valpo bench. But the seats are set up in a way that gave me the feeling that I could tap coach Lottich on the shoulder or participate in the time-out conversation. Needless to say, every single one of the 10k seats in the arena is a real padded seat. No bleachers and no wooden seats. The lighting, the audio system, and the concession stands were all top notch. The halftime show was NOT a group of 6th graders playing basketball. It was a guy doing frisbee tricks with his dog. It was interesting enough for people to actually watch (imagine that). To summarize, I can't help but think how disappointed other MVC fans will be when they come to Valpo. Heck, I myself will be disappointed parking across campus and skiing through the snow tomorrow to sit on a slab of wood for two hours. I am not sure how, but Valpo is now playing with the big boys and we need to step up our game - both on and off the court.

And it's only going to get nicer with the recently approved renovation package the university received for the Hulman Center. If even ISU is stepping up then the need for Valpo to do so becomes even more pronounced, even more dire.

valpotx

Do they no longer have halftime acts that are similar at Valpo?  I remember the guy with the dogs, the trampoline jumping kids, etc.  It was very rare that it was just a bunch of little kids playing basketball.
"Don't mess with Texas"