• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #14 - MVC Run Starts @ Indiana State December 28 6pm NBCSports Chicago

Started by talksalot, December 21, 2017, 08:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoDad89

On pace for 25 turnovers. That's insane and usually a prelude to a blowout. The issue is so many unforced. Down 9 with 3:36 left in half number 1...focus and come out firing in the second.

ValpoDad89

JBC1824

Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

govalpogo

How is it even possible that Valpo is up at the half!?  I noticed that Marty came out and immediately started setting screens. Positive developments followed.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpolaw

it's a Christmas miracle we aren't getting blown out with all those turnovers

vu72

Quote from: Just Sayin on December 28, 2017, 06:34:09 PM
Bringing Valpo basketball to a new low. This team sucks. Embarrassing.
[/b]

Just guessing this was written when it was 16-4.  Maybe a different opinion now??  We and they are both playing intense defense.  As mentioned before, the official are calling this very tight and I suspect there were some makeup calls for us late in the half.  Interestingly enough, our run to take the lead was with Tevonn on the bench. Ex the one bad pass, I really like was Linssen brings to the floor.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

I'm not kidding or joking here.

I went away from the TV when the game was 16-4 to vent some frustration and did some online banking and when I came back the game had completely changed and Valpo had tied it with less than 3 minutes to go in the half.

Your welcome!

Do I need to stay away longer?   ;)

hailcrusaders

B. Evelyn can't miss and that's what's keeping us in this game!

Just goes to show you that ten minutes of bad play don't need to define the season!
#CrusadersForever

a3uge

Valpo starting the second half with Hazen... Three turnovers and a wasted timeout in the first 6 possessions.

Airballs a wide open three before coming out. He's killing this team.

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on December 28, 2017, 07:22:07 PM
Valpo starting the second half with Hazen... Three turnovers and a wasted timeout in the first 6 possessions.

After the air ball Hazen should have come out.

NativeCheesehead

Had there been a position group more disappointing than these bigs in recent memory? Marty shows some hustle but is still so raw. Virtually nothing from Smits, Sorolla, McMillian.

a3uge

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 28, 2017, 07:29:27 PM
Had there been a position group more disappointing than these bigs in recent memory? Marty shows some hustle but is still so raw. Virtually nothing from Smits, Sorolla, McMillian.
The plus minus of Smits / Sorrola has to be horrible. Still no Linssen in the second half. Baffling.

a3uge

valpolaw

We are in for a long conference season if we don't get it together quickly.

NativeCheesehead

Note to self: Early drinking doesn't work. Still completely pissed off.

valpotx

Another bad showing and loss, but at least they showed up with some heart this time in fighting back a few times.  However, if 3/4 of our possessions begin with 20 seconds on the clock as we finally cross half court, we are not going to be successful.  Even when we started to make some shots and they pressed less, we still took our time crossing half court.  Teams have figured out that they just have to pressure us on every pass at the top of the key, and we will either cough it up, or throw a really dumb pass.  It still mystifies me how often we have a 'fast break' where it is 1 on 3, and we just expect to get bailed out by the refs with a foul call.  Smits needs to be setup better, in order to have any offensive game.  If he has to dribble, we are screwed, as a defender can easily poke their hand in while the ball tries to make its way back up to how high he dribbles.  Martin needs to play more, plain and simple.  He may foul out, but the dude has a motor, and has the most grit on this team.  He reminds me of a young KVW.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Let's build on that second half going forward. The offense finally looked like it was figuring some things out. Need to cut down on turnovers still and the unforced mental errors  but there's a lot of positives going forward. Guard play and overall offensive flow was better. Linssen looks like the best of the new PFs. I'd like to see his minutes increase if he can stay out of foul trouble. Same with McMillan. Smits needs to bulk up. Hopefully we'll see improvement from Hazen soon. I'm starting to feel really bad for him. We look like a play-in team for the MVC Tournament this year.

valpopal

Any hope I held that Valpo would have a respectable opening season in the Missouri Valley has evaporated. This team has gone from an energetic and athletic group that could be a surprise competitor for the top three spots in the conference to a mediocre and uninspired squad that will likely languish in the bottom half of the standings. I at least expected a team that would be fun to watch all season, but even that seems to have quickly slipped away in December. I hate to admit it, but with the loss of Burton and the lack of development by other players, I already have doubts about next year as well.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 28, 2017, 08:32:33 PM
Let's build on that second half going forward. The offense finally looked like it was figuring some things out. Need to cut down on turnovers still and the unforced mental errors  but there's a lot of positives going forward. Guard play and overall offensive flow was better. Linssen looks like the best of the new PFs. I'd like to see his minutes increase if he can stay out of foul trouble. Same with McMillan. Smits needs to bulk up. Hopefully we'll see improvement from Hazen soon. I'm starting to feel really bad for him. We look like a play-in team for the MVC Tournament this year.

BINGO, I agree with you whole heartedly.  For those who thought 8-0 meant immediate Top-of-League placement, I don't feel bad for your hurt feelings. 

Please keep the strong support, but relax on the depressed school girl posts.

EddieCabot

As coach L pointed out at half-time and every other time he's had a mic in front of his face, this is a VERY young team.  Expecting them to win on the road in their very first game in a top 10 conference is a bit much.  They competed at times ... I think the consistency will come with experience.

I'm disappointed that Micah is still in a slump ... I was hoping that we'd see some improvement after he was able to get home for a few days and get some workouts in with his dad.

On a positive note, I think Valpo has the most extensive array of leggings, arm sleeves, headbands, knee sleeves and wristbands of any team I've seen this year.  Kudos to the equipment team!

valpopal

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on December 28, 2017, 08:38:57 PM
Please keep the strong support, but relax on the depressed school girl posts.

If you want to call this one of the "depressed school girl posts," okay. However, we had two starters (Hazen and Golder) whose combined stats showed 0 points and 0 rebounds but 4 turnovers. Our two bigs (Sorolla and Smits) combined for only 2 points and 3 rebounds but with another 4 turnovers. Despite having two 7-footers, the team was out-rebounded and Indiana State had more second-chance points. In fact, the total of turnovers (22) almost matched the total of rebounds (25). One of our most energetic players (Kiser) suffered an injury. The team free throw percentage was 58%. Other than Evelyn, the rest of the team was 3-19 on three-point shots (15.8%). This comes after a 12.5% three-point performance in the horrendous showing against Riverside. I have always been a strong supporter, but I'd say those are legitimately depressing details.

VUSL98

Smits, Sorolla and Hazen had 2 points and 3 rebounds.  I don't like to get negative about our players, but these three guys need to step it up.  Why not start Linnsen and McMillan?  Our lack of production in the first ten minutes of each half is telling.  This is going to be a long season if we continue to let the shot clock whittle down to nothing before turning the ball over.

VUGrad1314

I think we, as fans, have a duty this Sunday afternoon. We need to make certain that we're out in full force and full throat. Yes, we're disappointed, frustrated, and maybe some of us are a little embarrassed, but if the second half of tonight's game is any indication, this young team may be on the verge of finally turning the corner and figuring things out. Even if it isn't, these guys have experienced about as much adversity on this road trip as you can possibly throw at a team:

The team leader got sick for most of the trip
They suffered a truly heartbreaking loss in a key in-state road game
They got shellacked by 30+ points in prime time on big TV networks while national pundits tried to pump them up beforehand  adding even more pressure
A player they were really counting on to support Tevonn offensively got kicked off the team which upset some of the players
Which led to one of the most embarrassing losses in program history
Their leading glue guy and a key defensive presence  suffered an injury that looks like he'll be  missing some potentially significant time
They ran into a more experienced team eager to save its season  in a high pressure  game for both sides

Now they're coming home for the first time in a month  shorthanded dejected and downtrodden and are about to take on a conference frontrunner in the first MVC home game at the ARC. If any team needs a boost from its fans and to know we're behind them, it's this team. I firmly believe that we fans can have a great deal of influence over how this season unfolds. Let's show the MVC the kind of environment they can expect to step into . Let's show them that they are right to praise the passion of this fanbase. Let's treat this like the biggest home game in a long time  (because it is). Let's pack the ARC for our Crusaders!