• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Southern Illinois 3pm Saturday January 6th

Started by M, January 03, 2018, 10:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

I'll try to turn our luck by starting this game thread.

I think Illinois state is facing some injuries. Valpo showed some signs on offense at Bradley let's hope they can bring that and the rebounding on saturday and get that elusive first MVC Victory.

Valpo 72-61 win.

valpotx

This might be a game that we win, as it is the injured Salukis versus the injured/suspended Crusaders.

Valpo 73
SIU 66
"Don't mess with Texas"

underdawg

I'd bet that the Vegas Line is either even or -2, -3 Valpo favored. SIU had three guys playing over 30 minutes against Evansville--we could get worn out if you use more players.

Opponents have been taking Pippen out of the game by being physical with him and putting in smaller players that can shoot the outside shot that draws him out to the perimeter,

talksalot

Quote from: underdawg on January 04, 2018, 09:32:21 AMI'd bet that the Vegas Line is either even or -2, -3 Valpo favored.

Nailed it!   The line is Valpo by 3 by the computer or a pick-em game using "other contributing factors".  We have a 56% chance of winning the game.

Bradley is favored by 1 at Evansville (or pick-em)
Indiana State is favored by 4 at home over Drake (or by 2)

covufan

This team needs to find their winning ways.  Box out, control the ball, play aggressive defense, movement on offense. 

Valpo  73
SIU     62

Just Sayin

Our bigs are weak, tentative, and need a lesson in toughness, hustle, nose for the ball, overall aggressiveness, and FINISHING FOR GOD'S SAKE. They play like pussies. They need to get mean. Perhaps Tony V. could come and consult and demonstrate division 1 big behavior at practices.

bbtds

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 04, 2018, 12:21:00 PMThey play like pussies

Exactly the words I used when I was watching the game last night. It's extremely embarrassing!

valpopal

In addition to the play by the teams in this game, I will be observing the officials. I hoped for better officiating in the Missouri Valley than what we saw in the Horizon League, and I don't mean simply the calls against Valpo because I expect that the new team in the league likely will get the short end of foul calls, kind of like a hazing. However, the Bradley game got ridiculous. There were 55 fouls called and 67 free throws between the two teams. Nine players had 4 or 5 fouls.

In the second half there were 37 fouls called (only a few purposely given at the end of the game). The game became almost unwatchable because of the numerous stops in play. As much as I criticize the lack of flow in our offense or the weakness of the centers in going for rebounds, the over-exuberance by the officials to call every touch foul, some seemingly imaginary, certainly hampered the offense and the big men's ability to be aggressive.

VUBBFan

This game is being billed as - White Out 219 - Appreciation day. What the heck does that mean? Are people expected to wear white or are they just talking about the snow? I think I saw something about a towel give away but am not sure.
Does anybody know what it's about? I just love it when there is a promotion and it never gets mentioned or promoted.

VUBBFan

Quote from: VUBBFan on January 05, 2018, 03:56:46 PMThis game is being billed as - White Out 219 - Appreciation day. What the heck does that mean? Are people expected to wear white or are they just talking about the snow? I think I saw something about a towel give away but am not sure. Does anybody know what it's about? I just love it when there is a promotion and it never gets mentioned or promoted.

Just found out what 219 appreciation day means

MVCHoops

0:00
[font=&amp][/size]77 views[/font]     

NativeCheesehead

2-1-9. Pts, RBs, TOs. Smits stat line for tomorrow.

VU2014

Will the students be back on campus for this one?

wh

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

Ward, aren't you being a little hard on the Beaver (Smits)? 

Forget the students who may trickle into town...., let's grind out a win!!   Play it in an empty gym for all I care.   

But I will start bashing the students again if they don't show up during "Greek week" and all of that rot.

wh

Huge contingency of SIU fans here. Sections D&E almost full. Haven't seen that many opposing team fans since Butler.

Should be fun. Even w/o students. Our guys look pumped in warm-ups. Great energy.

VU2014

Smits is in the starting lineup for Jay. Mileek is the starting PF. No Kiser and as expect no Joe. I actually love the move of benching Jay. Maybe it will light a fire under his ***. As someone said in the Bradley thread he needs to get tested for Low-T lol. He needs to get some energy out there and getting fight for those boards. Not saying Derrik has been great but maybe this can motivate Jay or get his adrenaline pumping.
https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/949736260956024832

PlumStreetBum

Game is blacked out for me - anybody got a non-ESPN feed?  >:(

oklahomamick

I'm watching it. Another great start by the crusaders. NOT
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Micah has established a pretty good on court relationship with smits.  Bradford has penetrated the lane finding a cutting smits several times. 

I'm not saying he's finishing....
CRUSADERS!!!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: PlumStreetBum on January 06, 2018, 03:17:55 PM
Game is blacked out for me - anybody got a non-ESPN feed?  >:(

It's on COMCAST CHANNEL 200 in Chicago area

a3uge

Wow, Bradford plays a pretty good point guard. Maybe Bradford as a distributor makes more sense than Bradford as a volume shooter.

Edit, 671 on DirecTV