• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Missouri Valley Conference Rival

Started by Pgmado, January 06, 2018, 10:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Maybe as a younger fan I just don't have the perspective of the older fans who were around for the games against teams like Evansville Indiana State and Bradley in the 70s and 80s but it feels too early for this question. Ask me again in a few years when we build up more recent history with these teams.

VUGrad1314

After thinking about this a bit more, I came up with this; which I also shared on MVC Fans (Teams are listed in order of likelihood of a school becoming our rival ) :

Loyola: Our previous conference ties dating back to when both schools were in the Horizon League help with that as well. The high volume of recent games breeds familiarity among the fanbases that could make a rivalry possible. We also both have strong academic reputations; and are the two newest members of the MVC both eager to prove ourselves to our new conference mates. When both teams are competitive and\or it's a TV game, this rivalry could burn white-hot.

Drake. Similar schools with strong academics, have ties stretching back awhile from our common membership in the Pioneer Football League.

Indiana State and Evansville. Both teams are among the most common opponents in Valpo's history. We also have previous conference ties and many alums of both schools live in the area. In fact, I work with multiple ISUb and UE alums. Being in the same state and vying for the same recruits also makes for fertile ground for a rivalry. Evansville's status as a private liberal arts school like Valpo could help as well.

Bradley (especially while Wardle remains coach) Wardle is not well-liked by most VU fans stemming from his days at Green Bay. We also recruit Illinois very heavily for students and athletes alike. Bradley being a fellow private school may also help. Older VU fans also remember a series of testy, contentious and hotly contested games between the two schools back in the late 70's and early 80's.

UNI\ Missouri State (especially Missouri State ) Previous conference ties similar basketball profile and tournament lore (especially in the case of UNI although I acknowledge that UNI's is superior). In the case of Missouri State, we have played several big games recently that our students and players really got up for. Maybe something can develop out of that familiarity. I also believe that Missouri State has a transfer coming in(Grant Gelon) from Crown Point, Indiana a town about 30-45 minutes from Valparaiso. I'm not sure how interested Valpo was when Gelon transferred but his status as a local kid should add some intrigue to the matchups between the schools over the next few years.

Illinois State: Very little recent history between the schools, but recruiting battles (Peters Bruninga) and Valpo's pursuit of greater branding, influence and name recognition throughout the midwest, including Illinois, could bring about a rivalry.

VU2014

I think it's going to end up being Loyola and Indiana State for many obvious reasons.

But to actually have an arch-rival Valpo is going to need to start making these games more competitive. I'm sure they will be but this young team exceptionally frustrating to watch at times this season.

bigmosmithfan1

Loyola makes sense for a lot of reasons... also there was a lot of bad blood between the two schools in the 80s, leading to the series being interrupted and not resuming until the late 90s/early 00's. Obviously, that's history and I sense a lot of mutual respect these days.

I'm also of the "wait and see" camp... we'll have a better sense after two or three seasons of MVC play, I'm guessing. In fact, I bet our rival will be pretty obvious by then, whomever it turns out to be.

VALPO LI

I had to go back 10 pages to find this topic but I feel it is relevant now that Loyola is leaving the MVC.  Up to about a month ago I felt Loyola was Valpo's Valley rival.  The Crusaders (named at that time) seemed to battle the Ramblers every time they met on the hardwood, even though the outcome heavily favored Loyola.  I feel the ARC just got a little louder when the Ramblers came to town.  Perhaps their close proximity, the success in the NCAA tournaments or the history from the Horizon League made them a Valley rival in my eyes.
To me a rivalry was always felt with Butler, Oakland and at times Detroit.  Some fans mentioned Oral Roberts from the Mid Con days as well.  So who is next in line?  Instate schools Indiana State, Evansville? The private schools of Drake or Bradley?  Or can there be a rivalry started with the newest member of the Valley, Belmont? (yes perhaps to soon)
If you go by records here are Valpo's first 4 years in the Valley.
Illinois St. 7-1
SIU 5-3
Drake 4-4
Indiana St. 4-5
Bradley 4-5
Evansville 3-6
MoSt. 3-8
UNI 2-6
Loyola 1-9
To me next up next could be Indiana State!  A school about 3 hrs. south that has competed well with Valpo in Valley play.
Goodbye Scarfnecks and hello Trees!
Shine on Vu

oklahomamick

So we have a losing record against 6 of the other 9 schools????????   

Also, notice how our record changed against Loyola and Missouri State once we joined the MVC changed coaches. 

We used to dominate Missouri St and Loyola before the coach change.....
CRUSADERS!!!

Chairback

We beat ourselves more than teams beat us. 

vu72

Quote from: VALPO LI on December 15, 2021, 02:36:43 PMSo who is next in line? 

Remember that Evansville and Indiana State go way back to the ICC days.  We have played Indiana State 90 times and Evansville 92.  I would think those two would be next up.  Evansville, back in the day, (think Jerry Sloan) were often in the hunt for national championships.  Our record, though not wonderful at 35-55, is better against Indiana State.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Evansville and the Hut are Valpo s rivals, next question...

elephtheria47

While they are solid games and an upgrade from HL, with the exit of Loyola I just don't *need* to go to any of those games like I did with Loyola. Hopefully that changes over the next few years...could be on board with Belmont being the main rivalry.