• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

This is NOT an @ Missouri St Jan. 17, 7:00 PM game thread

Started by justducky, January 15, 2018, 11:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Can they at least wait until we actually foul before calling them?

VUGrad1314

Everybody on the roster needs to shoot 250 free throws before they go home and 250 more when they get back to Valpo. It's unacceptable the way they shoot from the stripe and it cost us tonight.

nkvu

Johnson is really, really, good!

We competed for 35 minutes. Unfortunately the 5 minutes we didn't made a huge difference.

Better than last time when we competed for zero minutes.

Can't count the number of misses we had from inside three feet, but then Walker couldn't hit the ocean standing on a pier tonight either.

Missed free throws, again.

VUGrad1314

Well life out of the cellar was nice while it lasted... This sucks... It feels like this team deserves better but at the same time there's plenty to suggest that they really don't...

a3uge

Nice to be in the game, despite a horrible shooting night.

justducky

We defended well and they defended better. Neither team found many easy open looks.

VUGrad1314

Oh well  Hopefully a return home  will bring us to 4-5. I know they've got another TV game which should make us all worried but you'd think with as many as we've had this year we'd be due for a good performance in one of them... Right?

VU2014

Valpo isn't going to win many games with Tevonn Walker going 4-15 from the field. The shots weren't falling for Valpo tonight. As a team we had a 35.5   FG%. If we could just get a few more shots to foul and if we could have slowed Alize Johnson on the boards in the 2nd half I think we'd win this game.

A pretty good effort but a bad shooting night. The ball movement was pretty good and the defense was good for the most part. Alize Johnson won that game for them.

crusadermoe

All in all I saw a good effort on the road.  I do agree that we need to play a lot of zone.   

Why?   We have two types of player. 

Inside players with very slow rebounding and positioning instincts.  The zone hides them better.   
Wings and guards who are physically strong (except Bradford).  So they can defend a larger space pretty solidly. 

Also, give us more of McMillan.   

valpotx

Their announcers are still morons.  They mentioned that this game represents the first or second time that Valpo fans have seen Alize Johnson.  We just played last season, so it would be 3!  That newspaper writer is also a moron, as we didn't have Burton for the last contest against MO State, either, so we didn't get worse with the loss of Burton since the last time we played.

That was a complete horse crap missed call on the 3 pointer by #20.  How in the world do they miss that call?  It changed the game quite a bit after that point.  Not a bad showing, but we need to take less dumb shots, and learn to shoot FTs.
"Don't mess with Texas"

M

I was a little surprised they didn't T him up there.  Heck of an athletic play! He damn near got another one in the second half.

VU2014

Quote from: M on January 18, 2018, 11:34:24 AM
I was a little surprised they didn't T him up there.  Heck of an athletic play! He damn near got another one in the second half.

Yeah they definitely could have T''ed him up on the rim for hanging on it a second to long. It definitely depends on the refs that are working on that game. I think it was a good no call. If it was a blowout then maybe you call that but not when the game is close, imo.

valpo64

Let's say it one more time...FREE THROWS-PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.  It doesn't matter how long they do it now, they need MORE!!  And as for our bigs, when they are "in the game" and active at both ends of the floor, we are as pretty good team.  It just seems like as they go, we go.  OK, let's get a couple at home.

agibson

Quote from: crusadermoe on January 17, 2018, 08:26:04 PM
Good comparison.   Is the streaming really choppy?  Or is it just me?

Mine was a little problematic during the game. I attributed that to the computer, but maybe there was a more general problem.

I wouldn't have said "really choppy" exactly. Mostly it was fine, but with a handful of incidents. So, mostly it was smooth, but it did go as far as to actually pause a couple of times. And maybe twice it lost a few seconds of game as it ran out of buffer, and then caught up later in the action.