• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpospartan

Quote from: crusader05 on January 11, 2018, 07:09:55 AM
yes, Valpo sat on its hands for too long regarding new facilities and needed renovations. In the last 15 years we have seen a new library, new union, two new residence halls (not including the Uptown and Promenade apts.) new softball field and tennis court. a new science center, Meteorology building and a building for the college of arts and science. Regarding athletics we now have air conditioning in Hilltop, a new roof for the Arc, the Track installed and a new court floor and sound system as well as a new refinished basketball wing and locker rooms and an updated workout room for football and the relocation to the old book store of a campus fitness center rather than having that shoved into a corner of the ARC. Oh and also the new Admissions building.

also the purchase of the hospital grounds, tearing down of Miller and Huegli, renovation of Brandt Hall and plans for updating the other freshman style dorms.

A LOT has happened in the last 15 years but part of that was cramming in projects that were necessary maybe even ten years prior. We have been playing catch-up but I've been happy with the aggressiveness we've seen in improvements
When are they going to install that new sound system?

VU2014

Quote from: valpospartan on January 11, 2018, 10:35:06 PM

I believe we got a new one but it doesn't work very well. The sound isn't very evenly distributed throughout the arena. I remember someone mentioning they brought in some sort of sound expert to fix the issue but it didn't seem to fully fix the sound issues.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on January 12, 2018, 12:37:51 AM
Quote from: valpospartan on January 11, 2018, 10:35:06 PM

I believe we got a new one but it doesn't work very well. The sound isn't very evenly distributed throughout the arena. I remember someone mentioning they brought in some sort of sound expert to fix the issue but it didn't seem to fully fix the sound issues.

Per the Hudson Institute, which is "committed to innovative research and analysis that promotes global security, prosperity and freedom," the 4 most complicated issues in the world today are:

1. Finding a cure for cancer
2. Resolving the N. Korean conflict
3. Fixing the sound system at Valparaiso University's ARC (Valparaiso, IN, United States of Amereica)
4. Global warming

It will be interesting to see which of the 4 gets solved first.   

VU2014

Check out Grand Valley State's indoor field house! Top-notch! One day we may have this for our athletics.https://twitter.com/ValpoTrack/status/951882515375181826

valpo64

Do you think that being a State school has anything to do with getting these facilities?     :)

VULB#62

Quote from: valpo64 on January 12, 2018, 07:26:46 PM
Do you think that being a State school has anything to do with getting these facilities?     :)

Perhaps, but keep in mind it is a DII school and the field house is named the Kelly Family Recreation Center because Brian Kelly, now of Notre Dame fame, was the driving force behind getting it built while he was HFBC there. GVSU can put many FCS schools to shame with their facilities  — they're beautiful.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteDo you think that being a State school has anything to do with getting these facilities?

Um, no, since state funds can't be used for athletics or student rec facilities in most states?

hckjag

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on January 12, 2018, 11:15:22 PM
QuoteDo you think that being a State school has anything to do with getting these facilities?

Um, no, since state funds can't be used for athletics or student rec facilities in most states?

I attended Grand Valley. The fieldhouse is new. Within the last ten years and was supported by Brian Kelly. I can't speak to where the funding comes from but the entire campus is beautiful. Some older buildings but a number of newer ones and overall all felt fresh and up to date. They are a much larger school than valpo but have embraced that they are division 2 and build nice facilities that fit their needs.

I attended before the fieldhouse pictured was built but back then they still had a student Rec center with gym space, workout facilities, and pool for student use and it was well used. We know valpo needs to raise funds for One but it would definitely benefit the entire student body and hopefully entice more prospective students.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on January 12, 2018, 11:15:22 PM

Are you sure about that? I thought I read somewhere that a significant portion of the funding for the upcoming renovations to the Hulman Center at Indiana State is coming from state funds but perhaps I'm mistaken.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 12, 2018, 07:49:16 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on January 12, 2018, 07:26:46 PMDo you think that being a State school has anything to do with getting these facilities?     :)
Perhaps, but keep in mind it is a DII school and the field house is named the Kelly Family Recreation Center because Brian Kelly, now of Notre Dame fame, was the driving force behind getting it built while he was HFBC there. GVSU can put many FCS schools to shame with their facilities  — they're beautiful.

FWIW...Youngstown State has a similar facility which was named after Jim Tressel. So I assume the trick to getting a facility of this kind built is to have a HFBC move on to great things after leaving the school who builds the facility.

Go Coach Cecchini!!!!!!

valpospartan

Quote from: valpo64 on January 12, 2018, 07:26:46 PM
Since a lot of state schools are much larger than VU, they have more graduates and therefore more chances of having some of them donate money for facilities. One state school, of which I am familiar, has numerous private donors for FB & BB facilities. For example,  A $7.5 M expansion to their BB arena was paid for entirely by private donations.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteAre you sure about that? I thought I read somewhere that a significant portion of the funding for the upcoming renovations to the Hulman Center at Indiana State is coming from state funds but perhaps I'm mistaken.

It's against the law in Indiana (and Ohio and Illinois, and most other states - WV is the only one that I'm aware of without some sort of restriction). It's one of the reasons Ball State's football stadium renovation took nearly a decade and was significantly scaled down from the original plans.

If there are classrooms/academic facilities inside the Hulman Center, then state funds can be used for those, but not for anything related to athletics or the athletic portion. The state is pretty strict about enforcing those firewalls.

VU2014

Oh look another MVC School making improvements to it's already nice arena....

ISU is renovating the lower bowl in the next year or two: http://wznd.com/sports/redbird-arena-lower-bowl-getting-new-facelift/

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on January 26, 2018, 11:27:26 PM

ISU is renovating the lower bowl in the next year or two: http://wznd.com/sports/redbird-arena-lower-bowl-getting-new-facelift/

Seems like at age 30 their arena (considered one of the best in the MVC) needs refurbishing because they are having problems with replacement parts and they see this as an opportunity to also bring the seating closer to the court, add some specialized seating area upgrades and improve the game experience. I believe that the ARC opened for business in 1984. That makes it, ummm ....... 34?  Do ya think???  Nah.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 27, 2018, 10:29:56 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on January 26, 2018, 11:27:26 PM

Seems like at age 30 their arena (considered one of the best in the MVC) needs refurbishing because they are having problems with replacement parts and they see this as an opportunity to also bring the seating closer to the court, add some specialized seating area upgrades and improve the game experience. I believe that the ARC opened for business in 1984. That makes it, ummm ....... 34?  Do ya think???  Nah.

In Valpo years that means we're on track to get an ARC renovation by 2050.  :thumbsup:

VULB#62

Along similar lines, I live about a 4+ hour drive from Valpo. I manage to make it down to a couple of Saturday afternoon  football games in the Fall. When we were in the HL, I usually made it a point to attend BB games in MKE and at the Resch in GB.

I really would like to attend a game in the ARC. And I sometimes considered making the drive down for key games, but always rejected the idea. Besides driving over 8  hours R/T and in all likelihood having to stay overnight,  the other major factor was that I wasn't going to do all that to sit in an uncomfortable chairback or, worse yet, bench seats for a two hour BB game.

OTOH, if my game experience would include better, more comfortable seating, nicer ambiance (like a good sound system), interesting half time entertainment and decent concession food it would make the effort more worthwhile.

I guess my attitude can probably be classified as being a fair weather fan, but these are concerns that I bet I share with other less-than-maniacally rabid fans who live even closer.

usc4valpo

Valpo is a decent school, but their passiveness toward progress and their frugality really ticks me off. Regarding satellite campuses, they are so behind the times. I see many satellite campus or buildings at small colleges in Iowa, and it has helped their enrollment and status. Valpo needs to get in sync with the millennium.

crusadermoe

No, the current campaign is scheduled to end in late 2021.  Don't you suppose the ARC and Fieldhouse will become immediate priorities for rasiing cash? 

Also.....I think I asked Oakland U people in the 2004 ish about the O-Rena costs and they said it was 3/4 paid by the state.   But that could be unique to Michigan or before the states started to get budget crunched after 2009 market crash.

That O-Rena money could also have come from housing the arena within an instructional building.  On tv and website, it appears SIUE did the same thing, likely to get state funding.  There are probably seating limits in doing that  since both are tiny sub-4,000 arenas. 

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 27, 2018, 11:14:32 AM
I guess my attitude can probably be classified as being a fair weather fan, but these are concerns that I bet I share with other less-than-maniacally rabid fans who live even closer.

If you're on this board that means you're not a fair weather fan. You definitely bring up relevant points about the gameday experience and concerns about the facility. Valpo Basketball is in competition for peoples entertainment dollars and value needs to be returned.

ml

When I was at NC State we built what is now the RBC Center, home of NC State basketball and The Carolina Hurricanes.  75% of the funding came from the State of North Carolina and Wake County.

Indiana State's renovation of the Hulman Center will be funded primarily with a state appropriation.

http://www.tribstar.com/news/hulman-center-renovation-receives-final-state-approval/article_d9179c7e-b5a5-11e7-a03e-634744136008.html

Illinois State's renovations to Redbird Arena will be paid for with funds from a sinking fund that covered the bond payments on the building.  Student fees make up that sinking fund.

State schools use state, and other governmental entities, appropriations and student fee revenue on a regular basis to build athletics and recreational facilities.  The bigger schools like NC State and Purdue will then supplement those with donations or revenue from their conference TV networks.  Student fee revenue at state schools like Illinois State with 21,000+ students can be significant.

Schools like Valpo have really only have access one of those revenue sources, donations.

VU2014

Quote from: ml on January 27, 2018, 11:30:29 AM
Schools like Valpo have really only have access one of those revenue sources, donations.

ML, thank you for the response.

Is there any plans in the near future to start fundraising for potential ARC renovations? I'm not a millionaire but I'd be willing to donate specifically to this cause if I saw blue-prints and saw a plan come together with a time-frame. I know I'm not the only one. I know finding the lead donor(s) probably isn't an easy task but maybe there is a few lead donors that would be willing to match donations for the cause. A larger group could help contribute and feel a part of the cause.

VULB#62

IMO the first step is a small investment:  Conceptual drawings of possible ARC renovations that would generate interest and provide , maybe, a 5 year target.  Step two:  Throw out the question to ALL alumni, "Would you contribute?"  Step three: based on responses, scale the renovations to the response.  Step four:  Do it -- Sooner than later.

The Key:  letting ALL alumni in on what might be a possibility.  I am not a lead donor and never will be, but I'll be willing to pony up $$$ if I knew what the hell I am donating to.

I'm retired and now on a fixed income.  I will not give another penny to athletics unless I know precisely where that penny is going,  I am tired of seeing forward planning that is not shared with the general alumni community.  The lead donor philosophy senda a clear message specifically to me:  I'm not worthy of being included.  So be it, then.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 27, 2018, 11:30:04 PM
IMO the first step is a small investment:  Conceptual drawings of possible ARC renovations that would generate interest and provide , maybe, a 5 year target.  Step two:  Throw out the question to ALL alumni, "Would you contribute?"  Step three: based on responses, scale the renovations to the response.  Step four:  Do it -- Sooner than later.

The Key:  letting ALL alumni in on what might be a possibility.  I am not a lead donor and never will be, but I'll be willing to pony up $$$ if I knew what the hell I am donating to.

I'm retired and now on a fixed income.  I will not give another penny to athletics unless I know precisely where that penny is going,  I am tired of seeing forward planning that is not shared with the general alumni community.  The lead donor philosophy senda a clear message specifically to me:  I'm not worthy of being included.  So be it, then.

Everything about this post I 100% agree with.

I wish the alumni could get some sort of "State of Athletics" Speech from the athletics department every year that wasn't just lip service. Tell us what future plans are and what the goals are.

bigmosmithfan1

On further read, that state appropriation for Hulman Center looks like there was some, uh, VERY creative packaging done by the university, city of Terre Haute and Vigo County to position it as part of a convention center facility for the region and the city's de facto civic center. That's definitely the exception and not the rule when it comes to state-school athletic facilities in Indiana (and I'll be honest: I'm not sure how they got away with that nor how IU, Purdue, Ball State, etc. aren't screaming bloody murder about it - it is a pretty clear circumvention of state higher ed funding guidelines for university-owned facilities and a definite departure from how the state has done business on this in the past).

That said - the notion that private schools have not gotten public funding or support for arenas is not true: DePaul just got half of their new arena paid for by the city of Chicago. Wake Forest's arena was publicly funded and then was sold back to the university for a song by Winston-Salem. There are several other examples. Not saying something like that could be done in Valpo - but the city was willing to explore a creative solution like that in the past, and who knows what the new incoming mayoral administration (whomever it turns out to be) will be open to.

NativeCheesehead

I think both the city and university are missing the ball a bit on the old hospital site. I know the oft mentioned field house is the plan there (ground breaking any day now I'm sure), but with the Star Plaza shutting down a new venue that seats 5k for b-ball or a concert would really fit in well imo.