• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball 2011

Started by okinawatyphoon, April 19, 2011, 07:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

During the Champions League final!  Will have to check in now and then.  Good luck!

Crusader65

Valpo is in the finals tomorrow against Wright State.  We need to beat them twice now to win the championship.  I believe that would be Valpo's first HL championship in any sport.  The last two games with WSU have been tough 1 run heartbreakers for us maybe we are due to turn it around.  WSU has the highest team batting average in NCAA D1 this year - can this be true?  Nobody under .300 on the roster?  Let's see if our guys and pull it out.  Go Valpo!

dcvalpo

BigDWSU

Quote from: valporun on May 27, 2011, 09:42:41 PM
We play Wright State tomorrow at 2PM.

The game is at 11 AM.  If Valpo wins, a second game will be played at 3 PM.

vu72

Well, we went down 4-3 for the second time to Wright State so they win it and we get second.  A very solid year.

This is our fourth second place finish in the Horizon, with Volleyball getting two, women's soccer one and now our first men's runner up.

We are getting there--we all knew it would be a step up-- but just wait till next year.... ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

DMvalpo18

good progress and solid season as mentioned.

valpotx

Great season by our team, especially after that 1-17 start!  I will take a 25-32 and tournament runner-up finish any day with that kind of beginning.  Big things to come in the coming years for baseball, and Woodson really understand the type of kids to recruit, and how to manage the pitching rotation.  I really like how he applies our pitching like they do in the pros, with pushing the starter as long as he can, and then bringing up a set-up and closer.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Congrats to the baseball team on a fine result!

I did tune in to a bit of one or two of the tournament games.  Was the camera work about average for the Horizon League?  The picture quality was very good, in terms of streaming issues, etc.

But, it seemed to be one camera, shooting from behind the plate and to the left (OK) but from _behind_ the net!  So, we had a grid superimposed on the picture.

Hardly an ideal setup for baseball.  I suppose I'm spoiled by MLB.  No question it was fun to have the live stream available.  So, I don't intend it as a strong complaint - but I was a bit surprised by the net.

StlVUFan

I also found that too much was happening off camera.  Not enough movement (or not quick enough).

The netting didn't bother me.

dcvalpo

Quote from: valpotx on May 29, 2011, 08:36:25 PM
Great season by our team, especially after that 1-17 start!  I will take a 25-32 and tournament runner-up finish any day with that kind of beginning.  Big things to come in the coming years for baseball, and Woodson really understand the type of kids to recruit, and how to manage the pitching rotation.  I really like how he applies our pitching like they do in the pros, with pushing the starter as long as he can, and then bringing up a set-up and closer.

I just wanted to point out how much I appreciate your baseball insights tx!  Not too often do we get a former player with a lot of sport-specific knowledge around here...you add a ton to this boarD!!

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on May 29, 2011, 12:15:22 PM
Well, we went down 4-3 for the second time to Wright State so they win it and we get second.  A very solid year.

This is our fourth second place finish in the Horizon, with Volleyball getting two, women's soccer one and now our first men's runner up.

We are getting there--we all knew it would be a step up-- but just wait till next year.... ;)

Congrats to the team on a fine HL season.  I'm looking forward to competing for a top 2-3 finish every season.

orangefireworks

dcvalpo

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 20, 2011, 11:19:06 PM
It seems to me that Woodson can bring a program to respectability but can't win the big ones when they count.  Can you guys who follow the program address this a bit more? 

Also, does Lasorda post here?  I know he is a big VU backer and figured he might show up round these parts from time to time.

Hey, I never got an answer to this...anyone have any info????

valpotx

I would doubt that Lasorda posts here, but you never know.  He used to come by the field when he was in area when I was on the team the first two years, but stopped after that probably as he was getting older
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

I'm a new Valpo baseball fan and thought I'd post here to start to get a feel for this Forum.  Hopefully I can pick up a little knowledge from the regulars here.  The 2011-2012 baseball team has 35 on the roster.  Of those 35, 18 are new to the program.  Some are freshmen but many are transfers.  I know the kids are having a great first week getting to know each other.  The team is headed out to Gary for a Railcats game tomorrow night.  Fall ball practices also start this week.  Looking forward to a Horizon League championship run from this team in 2012....
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails