• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball 2015-2016

Started by IndyValpo, November 09, 2015, 10:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

Interesting one would leave to pursue a head coaching job without having job in hand. Valpo Grad so wish him luck, but there seems more to this story.

covufan

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 29, 2016, 12:29:11 PM
Interesting one would leave to pursue a head coaching job without having job in hand. Valpo Grad so wish him luck, but there seems more to this story.
Yeah, we're not getting the full story.  I can understand the desire for a head coaching position.  But, even if he were to get such a job in August (not likely, except at the HS level), there is almost nobody at Valpo that would feel he left the program in a bad way, especially leaving for a promotion.  Yes it might be difficult to replace his position at that time, but I'm sure they would promote from within, and find a candidate for the lowest opening without too much trouble. 

valpotx

He was a Student Assistant when I was in school, and a nice guy.  However, he is going to have trouble finding a solid head coaching gig, based on our record over the last few years.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on April 29, 2016, 01:59:42 PM
He was a Student Assistant when I was in school, and a nice guy.  However, he is going to have trouble finding a solid head coaching gig, based on our record over the last few years.

Maybe his strategy is to get separation from our (record) program and just start fresh. 

jack

My guess is a difference in philosophy that took it's toll. Based on Walker's remarks I think there's more to that story also than just so she could play with her sister. At any rate, I wish Kurt well, and only hope they bring in someone that knows how to work with the bigs, or it'll be more of the same.

Vinny

Doesn't look good at all with both Jazmyn and Kurt leaving. The couple times I watched workouts while walking on the track, Kurt was running the practice while Dorow was on the sidelines yukking it up with bench players. She appeared to be anything but the "leader" of that program. Two more years of 20-loss basketball here we come.  :'( :'( :'(

IndyValpo

Another Assistant gone

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/sports/high_schools/article_e8a885ee-2835-11e6-85aa-879b0a99ba06.html

Given that this staff could easily be fired by next season's end, this is a brilliant move.

jack

I think Katie learned in her short stint what not to do, if she ever got a shot at running the show. I'm happy for her. She wasn't going anywhere at Valpo, and as mentioned, it's possible she'd have to find a new home anyway after next season.
I wish her all the luck she deserves. 

vu72

Looks to be a great hire and a coach with professional experience.  Probably can help with our bigs as she is 6'3".

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2015-16/15576/leuzinger-joins-valpo-womens-basketball-coaching-staff/#.V1HMK5ErLNN
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Wow, she sounds like a pretty impressive hire!
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Seems like a very good hire not only from a basketball standpoint, but also someone that should fit right in with the emphasis on servant leadership I think our athletic department and university espouses.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

IndyValpo

The roster is up. Anne Marie Hamlet is not listed. I assume whatever injury she had this year was the reason.

IndyValpo

Interestingly there are apparently 3 2019 recruits at Michigan City Marquette. I would hope we have some connections there. I assume the 2018 Noblesville C Emily Kiser's is the sister of our new walk on.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/recruiting-central/2016/07/18/breaking-down-states-top-high-school-girls-basketball-talent/87247328/

We apparently got a verbal from a guard from South Bend St Joe (Nicole Koniecnzy).

humbleopinion

Last year's Marquette coach is Lauren Bechtold's father.
Beamin' Beacons

vu72

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 23, 2016, 08:22:09 AM
Interestingly there are apparently 3 2019 recruits at Michigan City Marquette. I would hope we have some connections there. I assume the 2018 Noblesville C Emily Kiser's is the sister of our new walk on.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/recruiting-central/2016/07/18/breaking-down-states-top-high-school-girls-basketball-talent/87247328/

We apparently got a verbal from a guard from South Bend St Joe (Nicole Koniecnzy).

[/b]

Watch her highlites in this video.  Great motor and all over the floor.  Looks like a very good get!

http://www.ncsasports.org/womens-basketball-recruiting/in/south-bend/st-josephs-high-school/nicole-konieczny
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Interestingly there are apparently 3 2019 recruits at Michigan City Marquette. I would hope we have some connections there.

Katy Collignon, a Vapo WBB assitant last couple of years just took over the Marquette girls BB team as the new head coach. She is also the new AD. Her husband, Brad, just left the VU SID staff to join her as her Assistant AD....... two prettygood connections

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 23, 2016, 03:30:01 PM
Interestingly there are apparently 3 2019 recruits at Michigan City Marquette. I would hope we have some connections there.

Katy Collignon, a Vapo WBB assitant last couple of years just took over the Marquette girls BB team as the new head coach. She is also the new AD. Her husband, Brad, just left the VU SID staff to join her as her Assistant AD....... two prettygood connections

That's a big loss for Valpo.

RS

Saw Nicole play in High School as a starting guard as a Freshman at LaPorte H.S. Was very impressed with her overall play. Very quick. Very smart player for a freshman and a player that I thought would be a great get for VU but probably headed for a high major school. Averaged over 14 pts per game on very good Laporte team that went 20-3.  Very impressed with this committ.

vu72

Quote from: RS on July 23, 2016, 09:33:03 PM
Saw Nicole play in High School as a starting guard as a Freshman at LaPorte H.S. Was very impressed with her overall play. Very quick. Very smart player for a freshman and a player that I thought would be a great get for VU but probably headed for a high major school. Averaged over 14 pts per game on very good Laporte team that went 20-3.  Very impressed with this committ.

She did previously commit to SMU but changed her mind. SMU certainly plays in a high major conference, with this one school called UConn!

usc4valpo

If the coaching situation at Valpo does not get any better, I wonder a dice roll and a Sheryl Swoopes hire is in the making.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on July 24, 2016, 08:32:51 AM
If the coaching situation at Valpo does not get any better, I wonder a dice roll and a Sheryl Swoopes hire is in the making.

It is my understanding that between the former pro player and an experienced former B1G assist the staff is back to full complement.  With these new hires  I think Tracy has tried to address the two major deficiencies the staff has shown in the past: player development and game strategy.

IndyValpo

Not sure why it has not been announced but the new assistant appears to be John Motherwell. Lots of experience most recent at Minnesota. Also was at Detroit.
At this point we have replaced all assistants who began with Dorow.

bbtds

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 24, 2016, 11:57:40 AM
Not sure why it has not been announced but the new assistant appears to be John Motherwell. Lots of experience most recent at Minnesota. Also was at Detroit.

https://thecoachingassist.com/2015/09/30/john-motherwell-university-of-minnesota-womens-basketball-assistant-coach/

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 24, 2016, 11:57:40 AM
Looks like this was announced yesterday:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2016-17/15607/crusaders-add-motherwell-to-coaching-staff/

Crusaders Add Motherwell to Coaching Staff

Monday, July 25, 2016

Valparaiso University women's basketball head coach Tracey Dorow announced today that John Motherwell has joined the Crusader coaching staff as an assistant coach for the upcoming 2016-17 campaign. Motherwell, who brings a wealth of collegiate coaching experience in the Midwest to his position on the Valpo staff, has coached 14 players during his career who have gone on to play professional basketball.

"I've known Coach Dorow since I was coaching against her when she was at Ferris State," said Motherwell. "Besides being a great coach, she is a better person, with her values and her character being the factors that led me to coming on board her staff. I love the Horizon League, and I'm especially excited to be joining what I consider its 'marquee name' – the tradition of success here, and the outstanding national reputation of the university – not just athletically, but academically as well, makes me confident about what the women's basketball program can become. I made a very intentional decision to come here and am excited to be a Crusader."

Motherwell spent the last two seasons on the bench as an assistant coach at Minnesota, helping guide the Golden Gophers to 43 victories and their first NCAA Tournament berth since 2009. In his time at Minnesota, Motherwell helped coach a pair of First Team All-Americans and three WNBA draft picks, including working directly with post players Amanda Zahui B. and Shae Keller, both of whom were selected in the 2015 WNBA Draft – Zahui B. second overall to the Tulsa Shock. Motherwell also helped coach national sensation Rachel Banham in 2015-16 as she tied the NCAA single-game scoring record and closed her career sixth in NCAA history in career points scored.

"We are blessed that Coach Mo has chosen to become a part of our Valpo women's basketball program," said Dorow. "He has established deep relationships throughout the country and will be an exceptional recruiter for our team. Coach Mo has coached at every level and possesses a wealth of knowledge about the game of basketball. I have the utmost respect for his coaching abilities and am eager to work alongside him!"

Motherwell brings familiarity with Horizon League women's basketball as well to the Crusader bench, as Valparaiso is the third league school he has coached at. He spent five seasons (2005-10) as an assistant coach at Milwaukee, and more recently spent the 2013-14 season on the sidelines at Detroit. During his tenure at Milwaukee, the Panthers shared the Horizon League regular season title and won the Horizon League Championship, advancing to the NCAA Tournament in 2005-06, and also had another appearance in the league tournament title game in 2009. He also served as position coach for two-time Horizon League Player of the Year Traci Edwards.

Motherwell has also served as an assistant coach at a number of other institutions, including West Florida (2012-13), North Dakota (2010-11), Minnesota State-Moorhead (2000-05), Concordia St. Paul (1999-2000) and the College of St. Scholastica (1998-99). During Motherwell's stint at MSU-Moorhead, the Dragons enjoyed five consecutive winning seasons following a stretch of seven straight losing campaigns. They also set a new school record with 24 victories during the 2004-05 campaign, a season in which they claimed their first league title in 20 years and appeared in the NCAA Division II Tournament.

Motherwell graduated from Michigan in 1995 with a degree in general studies. Prior to arriving at Michigan, he was a football letterwinner at Eastern Michigan. He married the former Sherri Bierschbach in 2001. The couple has two children, Annie and Joe.

IndyValpo