• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

They Want Coach Drew

Started by HC, March 23, 2016, 02:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HC

here is a thread for us to try and ignore. 

So St. Louis is the most recent program to request the services of our Coach Drew.  From Coach Drew's mouth not more then a few weeks back when asked if he was leaving....he said along the lines that he is very happy here, has a very good relationship with his bosses, and it would take a very special situation/offer for him (as any of us) to even consider leaving.

I'm feeling confident that he is staying put for the time being.

jloose128

In flipping through the Saint Louis message board, they seem to be a mix of optimists and pessimists in this regard. There are many people on that board who are convinced that Bryce has already agreed to be their next coach, while others are practically throwing themself off a cliff if they hire someone like Joe Dooley from FGCU or Rodney Terry from Fresno State.

I think he stays for Peters' senior year and may take a great job if it opens up after next season. If Carter gets another season of eligbility, then this team could be a force and make some noise in the NCAAs next season. If you're Bryce, would you rather be rebuilding at the bottom of a heavy A-10 or potentially watching Alec Peters become a household name in the NCAAs?

wh

Bryce Drew and mid major dumpster fire St. Louis. A match made in heaven. lol

Someone is trolling.

motowntitan

Quote from: wh on March 23, 2016, 07:04:03 PM
Bryce Drew and mid major dumpster fire St. Louis. A match made in heaven. lol

Someone is trolling.

Agree, unless there are talks about the Big East expansion into St Louis again. 

bbtds

Quote from: jloose128 on March 23, 2016, 03:11:20 PMIn flipping through the Saint Louis message board, they seem to be a mix of optimists and pessimists in this regard. There are many people on that board who are convinced that Bryce has already agreed to be their next coach, while others are practically throwing themself off a cliff if they hire someone like Joe Dooley from FGCU or Rodney Terry from Fresno State.

The Billiken posters on that board have been delusional longer than Valpo has had a message board.

Jimbo5, brianstl, cheeseman, TheA bomb, slufan13, etc, etc, etc. They are all diluted. Especially Jimbo5 and John D, who is also on the BirdsOntheBat message board.

FWalum

Wow! 112 pages on Coaching candidates is insane.  They must have a lot of people that don't work posting on their board. One poster has 14,500 posts, somebody quick add up the man hours for that many posts....
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

StlVUFan

hailcrusaders

FWIW, Valpo Athletics just tweeted a video of Bryce thanking fans for the support this season. He ends with "Look forward to seeing you next year."
#CrusadersForever

Kyle321n

Quote from: hailcrusaders on March 24, 2016, 12:16:50 PM
FWIW, Valpo Athletics just tweeted a video of Bryce thanking fans for the support this season. He ends with "Look forward to seeing you next year."

"...when I bring my Billikens/Cardinal/Panthers to the ARC next season."
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

VUOR63

I just saw that video too.  Does that mean he's staying at Valpo?

covufan

Quote from: VUOR63 on March 24, 2016, 01:28:28 PM
At the time he said it, yes.  Tomorrow is another day...

hailcrusaders

Quote from: VUOR63 on March 24, 2016, 01:28:28 PM

Nothing is for certain, obviously. But I'm sure he's well aware of the buzz around his future, and I doubt he'd say something like that if he was seriously considering outside offers at the moment.

To play devil's advocate, maybe other schools hear this and up their offers?
#CrusadersForever

VU2624

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 24, 2016, 12:42:11 PM
Quote from: hailcrusaders on March 24, 2016, 12:16:50 PMFWIW, Valpo Athletics just tweeted a video of Bryce thanking fans for the support this season. He ends with "Look forward to seeing you next year."
"...when I bring my Billikens/Cardinal/Panthers to the ARC next season."

:lol: :lol:

Thinking the same thing.

covufan

I'm not worried about the St. Louis job, but the Stanford and Pitt openings have potential.  The Cornell and Dartmouth might intrigue him a bit, but I don't see the fit.

agibson

Nice set of tweets from @nwioren on Alec and Bryce and their future (at Valpo; rather surely for Alec it seems, and for Bryce unless something very special comes along.)

Smj

I hate this topic - every year this comes up and it is super annoying

Go Valpo!

valpopal

Add another place to keep an eye out for or to ignore if you want: Would Bryce be willing to move from VU (HL) to VU (SEC)? Mixed messages out of Vanderbilt about whether Kevin Stallings will return as Vandy's head coach and whether he has been contacted about the St. Louis job. The fans at Vanderbilt are mentioning as a possible replacement for Stallings—who else?—Bryce.  ???

wh

Stallings salary is $1.93 M.

a3uge

$1.9 million would qualify as something special to me...

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on March 24, 2016, 07:51:04 PM
$1.9 million would qualify as something special to me...

@nwioren mentions IA State was rumored to be $2M.

No question, it's a lot of clams.

But, Valpo's a good gig if your name is Drew, and there's unfinished business.

HC

His dove commercial, video thanks, and the almost quotes I posted at the beginning I don't think he is going anywhere...maybe ever.

agibson

It may be "something very special" as in "I can't currently imagine it, but never say never", who knows? Oren claims that everyone with real insight is named Drew.

agibson

I hadn't notice until today, but our _football_ coach is north of $200k! And with a staff of eight besides!

*sigh*

ValpoDad89

I can say being a Valpo fan and DAD (which is far prouder than anything!!!) and a former DePaul, Alum, season ticket holder and (still am there) fan, DePaul was willing to pay Bryce $750K per year according to some in the know on their sites. He inquired and from what I understand declined his "formal" interview that Sunday and they signed Leitao shortly there after. Partly because DePaul is a Catholic that acts as public instiution and the Catholicism part is by affiliation. Bryce is a man of strong convictions and wants a University to support his endeavor in that and DePaul was not willing, shame on them but they have the most inompetent AD in the history of ADs and they deserve what they get.

Second, Bryce made more by playing in the league than his brother (who went to a very Christian schoo)l , (7.8MM according to Wikipedia). Is he underpaid, yes. But Valpo can only go so far and they know he is a STAR and accommodate him to that end. Will he get that at other schools? Probably. Does Bryce appear to be a guy that is out it for the ends? I do not think so. He knows what he has here and there in lies an altruistic value. Valpo gives him free reign and uses that to run a clean and honorable program. To me, for Bryce to leave would mean it is in the best interests of his family and give him a challenge that he could not get anywhere else.

Lastly, he made "the shot" here, with his dad coaching and turned that it into a lucrative basketball career. He was raised here, has his number in the rafters. Has an administration, student body and fan base that LOVES him. He comes across as very cerebral and a man with convictions and loyalty. And even if Carter does leave (what a player), has Peters, Adeboya, Hammink, Scara and the unheralded Tevon Walker coming back for a season that may rival this one. St. Lousi cannot give him what he got. He's doing it here with the limitations he has and I can tell you this, with all of us behind him and willing to continue to give to this Program, facilities will be upgraded eventually. I used to give to DePaul annually but they showed me they don't care. I came to Valpo games to see good basketball locally. My daughter is a Dancer so I get "free" season tickets which I budgeted for and was willing to pay for and I didn't have to. I "pocketed" that money and am willing to donate to a Program and a University that exceeds any thing I could imagine. Speaking from a parent's perspective, this school is so underrated and the people within it so good. My daughter made a GREAT decision and I am a VALPO fan for life!!!!