• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 37: Valpo vs. GWU, NIT CHAMPIONSHIP, Thursday, March 31, 2016; 6 CDT

Started by valpo04, March 30, 2016, 07:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo04

Let's get this started!!

oklahomamick

This WILL be vashils last game in a crusader uniform.  He will always remember his last game which is a championship game at Madison square garden.  Pretty cool. 
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

After playing our first game on ESPN News, this will be our 4th consecutive showcase game on ESPN. How cool is that?

Kyle321n

Quote from: wh on March 30, 2016, 08:09:54 AM
After playing our first game on ESPN News, this will be our 4th consecutive showcase game on ESPN. How cool is that?

Actually our first game against Texas Southern was on ESPN3, online only. Florida State was on ESPNews, and St. Mary's, BYU and now George Washington will be on the mothership.

Also George Washington always makes me think of this... (Some NSFW language, but funny nonetheless)
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vu72

So I just did  a little box score checking on GW.  They start guys 6'10, 6'9, 6'8, 6'6 and 6'1.  However they appear to have little size in reserve as the next three off the bench are 5'11, 6'2, and 6'1.

Hard to judge how good they are by their record.  They beat Hofstra on a last second shot and lost early in the year to Indiana State by 2. They also beat Virginia and Florida and Rhode Island (by 4 at home), but lost to other teams like DePaul and St. Louis.

I heard their coach on a post game interview and he said their 1-3-1 defense caused SDSU problems and that SDSU only hit 3 of 22 3's.  We gained some experience against this defense and no doubt can shoot better than 3 of 22 (hopefully!)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

This will be the last game for this team, especially the seniors.  Play a full 40 minutes and we beat GWU!

Valpo 70
GWU  66

vu84v2

GW is clearly a higher variance team than Valpo. Statistically, they were 171st in performance variance in ESPN's BPI and Valpo was 312 (out of 351). It is really hard to judge anything from their SDSU game other than they handle size well. SDSU has troubles making baskets on a good night and Fischer is a horrible game coach.

1-3-1 is a good defense for Valpo to match up against as long as Valpo makes its corner threes. Peters, Walker or Carter getting hot could take them out of that 1-3-1 very quickly. I am also worried about Valpo taking care of the ball. 20 turnovers against BYU and I think that GW is a better defensive team.

oklahomamick

What's the spread?  I don't think we have been the underdog in games other than Oregon and Oregon St.
CRUSADERS!!!

HC

Besides the corner threes another opportunity is for the lob pass.  I'd try having Shane run the baseline, go to ball side corner, stay there while the ball is reversed he can go up high.  Should work once...you could also have the baseline guy set a screen and have the guy who reversed the ball go up high. 

Dribble penetration, quick passing, and good decision (shot) making can knock them out of their zone.

Valpo wins 68-64

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 30, 2016, 10:32:10 AM
What's the spread?  I don't think we have been the underdog in games other than Oregon and Oregon St.

Valpo -2

Kyle321n

And Rhode Island
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

SanityLost17

We don't see a 1-3-1 defense all season and now we are going to see one in the last 2 games of the NIT.  That is pretty crazy.  I didn't think teams played one anymore unless it was a true half court trap followed by falling back into a 2-3.  It caused us major problems in the 2nd half.  We couldn't swing the ball and that had us very confused.   

FWalum

They may not be able to play the 1-3-1 zone as flat against us as they did against SDSU.  This really prevented the dribble penetration.  If they do then we will have to hit some outside corner shots.  If they have to play it higher against us then it really becomes susceptible to penetration.  Playing against a primarily zone defense is not something we have faced much at all this year.  Because BYU was much better offensively in the second half we didn't look to hot when they had time to really set up the zone, way too many outside jumpers for my liking.  Hope we don't settle for those shots in the GW game.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

Valpo 74
GW 68

Shane, Keith, and Alec really exploited the 1-3-1 by driving across the lane near the FT line, and kicking to wide open shooters.  It took us awhile to realize that we could do this, as BYU made their comeback when we were basically just throwing it back-and-forth, and almost getting our passes intercepted/tipped on every pass.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

And even for Oregon State, while we opened as underdogs (as we did in some cases against BYU), by tipoff it was even, or sometimes Valpo was even favored.

For Rhode Island it looks like we were, mostly, slight underdogs.

justducky

Quote from: SanityLost17 on March 30, 2016, 11:24:28 AMWe don't see a 1-3-1 defense all season and now we are going to see one in the last 2 games of the NIT.
Seems like we saw a little of it somewhere-Maybe Belmont  ???
Quote from: FWalum on March 30, 2016, 11:26:03 AMThey may not be able to play the 1-3-1 zone as flat against us as they did against SDSU.  This really prevented the dribble penetration.  If they do then we will have to hit some outside corner shots.  If they have to play it higher against us then it really becomes susceptible to penetration.
Key to the game could be early outside shooting.
Quote from: valpotx on March 30, 2016, 11:38:21 AMShane, Keith, and Alec really exploited the 1-3-1 by driving across the lane near the FT line, and kicking to wide open shooters.
Many of our turnovers were balls clawed away as we dribble penetrated or passes tipped on the kick outs and bounce passes in. As long as they can stay in the zone we are in danger. If we can pull them out of it we might cruise to an easy victory.

vu72

I expect most of the crowd to be pulling for GW either because they are the perceived underdog or because they have about twice as many students and presumed alumni base plus, DC is only a 4.5 hour drive.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

You would be surprised how many Valpo   alumni from the east coast showed up at MSG for the NIT game. When parking costs $50 to $60 in Manhattan it's quite a commitment.

usc4valpo

valpo64

For the benefit of those of us who were unable to get to N Y, what kind of prices did you find regarding rooms, food,etc?  The pre-game thing costing $60 made me wonder what other prices you found.

frontrowfan

Lower bowl ticket $50. HOTEL $139+ TAXES Wyndham New Yorker11/2 blocks away

NativeCheesehead

Would really appreciate it if someone going to the game with a fairly new phone could get some good photos if they get a chance. Thanks! 

frontrowfan

Quote from: vu72 on March 30, 2016, 02:29:13 PM
I expect most of the crowd to be pulling for GW either because they are the perceived underdog or because they have about twice as many students and presumed alumni base plus, DC is only a 4.5 hour drive.
Crowd for GWwas really big and loud

rink

Interviewer: Where did you go to school?
Josh: It was called George Washington.
Interviewer: Oh, GW? My brother-in-law got his doctorate there. Did you pledge?
Josh: Yes. Every morning.

Valpo by 9.