• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Paul Oren-Thank you

Started by ValpoFan, April 09, 2016, 12:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoFan

I have followed and rooted for multiple college athletic teams before moving to the area and joining the Valpo family. As a fan, I have had my share of anxious moments when my teams went through big decisions (like a coaching change for example).

A major thing that stood out for me in the whole experience last week was the excellent, accurate, and timely reporting of Mr. Paul Oren. He was always on the ball (both tweeting and writing stories) and never said anything that was less than 100% accurate. I tip my hat to Paul for the great work he has done.  :thumbsup:

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

rogerwilco

The next time you see Paul at the bar, buy him a screwdriver and ask him about the story about all of his middle names.  ;)

justducky

His article on our bubble exclusion was also a fine piece of work.  :thumbsup:

ValpoDad89

I cannot echo this sentiment enough!!! His tweet after tweet kept me off a ledge!!! ;D I am now a "follower"!!! His article on the coaching change was articulate and concise. I have always loved sports writing as a ler millenial and he epitomizes that!!! A true, good sports writer.

VULB#62

With Paul (and Brandon too) we have some of the best insider info on the Valpo sports scene any fan could want.  I follow both on Twitter and have the NWI Times, Chicago Trib suburban edition AND the Valpo TORCH Sports (I was pleasantly surprised at all the background and insight that was not present back in the day when I was a student) bookmarked.  Have to reiterate that our media guys deal in as accurate fact checking as we could want -- neither generates rumors just to get the  exposure.  Thanks.

Pgmado

Much appreciated everyone. I echo the statements about Brandon. He's the most versatile student journalist I've been around in my 11 years at Valparaiso. I don't know what his future holds...but it's very bright.

As for the "never said anything less than 100% accurate," that's not entirely accurate. I made an assumption based on some information that was confirmed to me from two people as well as a photograph. Without going into great detail, lets just say I felt an anxious moment or two when I made a mistake. Apologies were given and in the end it was no harm, no foul. Everything ended up being accurate, but there were moments where I wanted to drown in a bottle!

I'd be remiss if I didn't recognize Michael Osipoff. Although we're "competitors," he's a valued friend and a superb writer. With the close of the season I'm sad that our nights hanging out on press row will come to a close until next fall.

Thanks once again for the kind words.