• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

First 2017 Bracket

Started by bsmith21, April 11, 2016, 11:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsmith21

Joe Lunardi has Oakland as the only HL team and has them at a 13

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

vufan75

Wonder if that is b4 or after news that Kay Felder is going into NBA draft? Guess time will tell.

VU2014

Oakland?? Without Kay Felder? I think they'll still be solid without him though but not a dangerous team. By the way watch out for UIC next few seasons. Their recruiting class this year was amazing. Some legit power 5 conference talent recruits. Game changer recruiting class.

ValpoDad89

VU2014, they (UIC) had a couple of darn good freshmen that got better as the season wore on to coincide with a good incoming class. Oakland will struggle a bit without Felder as will we if Peters leaves but we have so far more depth than any other HL team that makes me like our chances. I really don't believe any other HL team had the rotation of Valpo. Losing Peters will hurt bad (assuming he goes), losing Val will hurt us down low big time (pun intended) and EVic and D Walk were good role players that also frustrated at times.

You have Smits coming on which will hurt post defense but help post offense. You'll have a healthy Tevonn. You'll have an up and coming Jubril getting more minutes. Throw in a very solid Hammink and hopefully improved Skara and we should be alright. Peters comes back and there is no stopping the potential of this team. Too many variables at this point but I do like the potential.

oklahomamick

Quote from: VU2014 on April 11, 2016, 11:23:56 PMOakland?? Without Kay Felder? I think they'll still be solid without him though but not a dangerous team. By the way watch out for UIC next few seasons. Their recruiting class this year was amazing. Some legit power 5 conference talent recruits. Game changer recruiting class.

Check their bank accounts.  I'm going to continue to repeat as Tex does about that one Oakland player sucking, McClain cheating like Bruce Pearl.
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

I'll give Lunardi a pass for putting Oakland in as the HL representative (yes, only one). I don't understand the 13 seed.

1. Detroit (They just got better by losing Ray Sr. Everyone will come together and play organized basketball as opposed to AAU and will have a good chance of winning the league.  They will win and host. Wait they will host no matter what, thanks LeCrone for sleeping with the Grizzly)
     -  Several of us would have voted them to finish higher each of the last 2 seasons if it wasn't Ray coaching the talent

2.  Valpo (too many players and probably the best one in Alec Peters, if he stays.  The renewal rivalry between last two private schools)

3.  Oakland (some good transfer players finally feel comfortable and will step up.  Hayes is a monster and you have to agree Kampe is a good coach.  They also have a blacktop with LED's that gives them great home court advantage over HL opponents not named NKU and YSU  ???

4.  UIC (McClain has lured HL's best recruiting class in back to back years).

5.  who cares

6.  who cares

7.  one of the rpi dead weights who cost us an at-large last year.  Hell even HL's second best team finished outside of the top 100.  Valpo's players coming off the bench, Skara, Jubril, E. Vic, Lexus and Smitts would have finished in the top 3.

8.  one of the rpi dead weights

9.  on of the rpi dead weights

10.  That group with the longest standing HL coach, YSU.
CRUSADERS!!!

ValpoDad89

I don't see it but here in Chicago, McClain is seen as a recruiting Dynamo. Guys, I've seen recruiting dynamos and the best one was Pat Kennedy. Got the #1 recruiting class to go to DePaul and they got one #8 Seeed in the tourney with that class and lost that game in OT to Kansas. McClain can recruit, but he cannot coach. In this league your success breeds upon both.