• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Other Men's Basketball Office Changes

Started by FWalum, April 16, 2016, 09:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Quote from: wh on April 17, 2016, 10:50:02 PM
Well, it seems that we have 3 main possibilities:

1. ML consulted Bryce and he recommended Matt.
2. ML consulted Bryce. Bryce told ML he wouldn't recommend Matt. ML hired Matt anyway.
3. ML didn't consult Bryce.

Anything's possible, but I would the odds at about 100:1 in favor of #1.

Uh, #3, because an athletic director asking a departing coach which assistant he should make the next head coach is pretty ridiculous.

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on April 16, 2016, 04:27:08 PMLuke Simons (bald guy on the bench) was the director of basketball operations. Remember the story about him being the coach of one of the national teams of another country? Was it Mongolia?

Of course, he was the AIA guy? In any case got a fair bit of love on Twitter during the NIT campaign. Somehow the snap shot of the web page I grabbed from the Way Back machine didn't include him.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 18, 2016, 07:12:53 AM
Quote from: agibson on April 17, 2016, 10:59:16 PM
Quote from: agibson on April 16, 2016, 02:42:26 PMBut, speaking of people who _haven't_ left Valpo. Homer Drew's still listed as Associate Director of Athletics.

Apparently Homer will move to Nashville later this year.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2016/04/17/bryce-drews-dad-had-vanderbilt-dream-boy/82881618/

That would truly signal the end of the Drew era at Valpo. In a way, that's the way it should be. For Homer it means that he and Bryce remain closely bonded while at the same time he doesn't have to deal with any comparisons or asked by the local press or fans to second guess how the MBB program is going.  He's removing that "shadow of the legend" situation from the ongoing equation and letting Matt develop the program his own way -- although there will always be Homer Drew Court Court  ;). And if Matt would want to seek advice, Homer, and for that matter, Bryce, are only a cell phone call away.

Apparently, you didn't read a3uge's words of wisdom in another post about how ml wouldn't ask "former employee" Bryce Drew for his recommendation for his replacement. See, you just shouldn't do that because even if the person is maybe the the best employee you've ever had and just because he's a person of high moral character, you never know but what he might intentionally steer you wrong just for laughs, or to sabotage the program and university where he is considered a legend, or something like that. LOL

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on April 18, 2016, 09:39:36 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on April 18, 2016, 07:12:53 AM
Quote from: agibson on April 17, 2016, 10:59:16 PM
Quote from: agibson on April 16, 2016, 02:42:26 PMBut, speaking of people who _haven't_ left Valpo. Homer Drew's still listed as Associate Director of Athletics.

Apparently Homer will move to Nashville later this year.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2016/04/17/bryce-drews-dad-had-vanderbilt-dream-boy/82881618/

That would truly signal the end of the Drew era at Valpo. In a way, that's the way it should be. For Homer it means that he and Bryce remain closely bonded while at the same time he doesn't have to deal with any comparisons or asked by the local press or fans to second guess how the MBB program is going.  He's removing that "shadow of the legend" situation from the ongoing equation and letting Matt develop the program his own way -- although there will always be Homer Drew Court Court  ;). And if Matt would want to seek advice, Homer, and for that matter, Bryce, are only a cell phone call away.

Apparently, you didn't read a3uge's words of wisdom in another post about how ml wouldn't ask "former employee" Bryce Drew for his recommendation for his replacement. See, you just shouldn't do that because even if the person is maybe the the best employee you've ever had and just because he's a person of high moral character, you never know but what he might intentionally steer you wrong just for laughs, or to sabotage the program and university where he is considered a legend, or something like that. LOL

;)  Having coached FB on the college and HS levels, and T&F and Swimming at the HS level, I hear what you're saying about ML (the Mark ML) and to an extent for Matt Lottich, but the coaching fraternity is pretty much just that - a fraternity.  Many coaches that are branches of coaching trees, stay pretty tight with the roots and trunk -- Maybe not in the recruiting wars LOL, but in the management and Xs and Os areas.

NativeCheesehead

More people in and around the department I talk to, the more I think we may be selling our Pres short for his leadership and involvement in this. If this proves to be the hire we think it could be, they'll be plenty of credit to go around.

chef

It was no secret that Bryce had offered positions to both Roger and Matt. Thus, Mark asking Bryce for a recommendation would have been unlikely. The fact that BD offered Roger and Matt jobs in Nashville would be all the recommendations Mark would need.

crusader05

So Bryce offered both Roger and Matt and based on other things sounded like he talked to Gore about coming too.....
I'm glad Valpo was able to convince both Matt and Luke to stay on

wh

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 18, 2016, 03:18:26 PM
More people in and around the department I talk to, the more I think we may be selling our Pres short for his leadership and involvement in this. If this proves to be the hire we think it could be, they'll be plenty of credit to go around.

This was about as easy a transition process as an athletic program could hope to ever have.  What might the Pres. have done to facilitate anything here, short of maybe giving the go-ahead to ml to hire Lottich? Or, did he announce that it's time to get serious about a major upgrade of the ARC now that the Drew family gravy train is over?