• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

David Skara is transferring...

Started by Valpofan00, April 18, 2016, 09:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpofan00

Looks like David Skara has asked for his release, and will be leaving Valpo.

vu72

Ugh...No further comment until it is confirmed.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

NOOOOOO. Please no. I think David is in for a big year. So underrated. He dealt with quite a few injuries these years. Won't he have to sit out a whole year?

VU2014

What happened to this? I know things change but I'm hoping its not true.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/718186117175123968

VU2014

DMvalpo18

It's been forever since I posted on this board, but I've been lurking for the past few weeks and decided it's time to come back. All I can ask when I hear this news is why? Where could he go where opportunity will be greater for him? Maybe he wants more PT....

oklahomamick

ouch, this hurts.  I wonder if its because Bryce left or something else.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

He was quoted in several articles as being really happy, and that the hiring of Lottich was good for the program/continuity.  What the hell happened?  He was going to play significant minutes next season with Walker and E Vic gone.
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Good thing we kept those extra 2 scholarship slots open.

valpotx

Quote from: VU2014 on April 18, 2016, 09:44:35 PM
NOOOOOO. Please no. I think David is in for a big year. So underrated. He dealt with quite a few injuries these years. Won't he have to sit out a whole year?

Yes, he will have to sit out a year, regardless of where he goes.  Maybe he is pulling a Haanpaa and going pro in Europe after his SO year?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpospartan

VU2014

I'm just taking a look at who Skara was recruited by looks like it was Valpo, Green Bay, and Virginia Tech. I know he was recruited by by Buzz Williams who is now at VT. I'm assuming we won't let him transfer anywhere in conference. As for VT they a couple scholarships open. Maybe he goes down there.

valpotx

I'll be very interested to see where he ends up.  I would have understood Jubril using the graduate transfer option over Skara leaving to sit out a year somewhere else.  Skara could definitely start for any other HL team.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Can't Lottich give a stipulation on the release that he can't transfer to anywhere in the HL?

oklahomamick

Thats the thing.  Several of our guys who get minimum time would be starting and playing huge roles on other HL teams. 
CRUSADERS!!!

ARCInsider

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on April 18, 2016, 10:02:48 PM
It's been forever since I posted on this board, but I've been lurking for the past few weeks and decided it's time to come back. All I can ask when I hear this news is why? Where could he go where opportunity will be greater for him? Maybe he wants more PT....

A board legend returns!!

VU2014

One of Branchen Hazen's biggest choice factors was playing time.... We lost E Victor, D Walker and now Skara. Might help with the playing time selling point. Although my guess is he goes to Ball State. The BS head coach is taking a home visit this week apparently.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: ARCInsider on April 18, 2016, 10:31:33 PM
Quote from: DMvalpo18 on April 18, 2016, 10:02:48 PM

A board legend returns!!

Thanks! It's been fun reading all of the posts during this transition time. In fact, so much so I just had to break my silence.

valpotx

He also had an offer from Robert Morris.  He can probably have his pick of any mid-major with a SF/PF opening in 2017-2018 (sitting out next season). 
"Don't mess with Texas"

Pgmado

All I'll say is this...Hollywood would reject the script on this one. Flat out reject it. Unreal. Will be curious to watch this unfold.

VULB#62

After being an integral part of winning 58 games in just two years and with even more minutes in the rotation coming his way due to graduating seniors, where can this kid do any better?  There's got to be more to this story.

atkins

David's improvement from last season to this season was not as swift as I had expected.  It still hurts to lose him.  He must have been really unhappy, unbeknownst to us.  Puzzling. 

valpotx

Quote from: Pgmado on April 18, 2016, 10:47:41 PM
All I'll say is this...Hollywood would reject the script on this one. Flat out reject it. Unreal. Will be curious to watch this unfold.

Meaning that the reasoning you have heard makes as much sense as each of us would make of this move (not much sense)?
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/722268375053910016

VU's David Skara to transfer

By Paul Oren pgmado@gmail.com

"Valparaiso sophomore forward David Skara has asked for his release and is expected to transfer from the program according to several sources close to the situation.

Skara battled through various ankle injuries this season to play in 29 games while starting 13 Horizon League contests. The Croatian native averaged 6.5 points and 3.1 rebounds in 19.7 minutes per game. Skara's best game of the year came when he scored a season-high 15 points off the bench in a 72-70 win against BYU in the National Invitational Tournament semifinals last month at Madison Square Garden. Skara's 3-pointer with 17.7 seconds remaining essentially won the game for the Crusaders.

Skara shined when the lights were brightest, capping off his freshman campaign with a team-high 12 points in the 2015 Horizon League Championship win over Green Bay. Skara added four assists in the NCAA tournament loss to Maryland. The former Don Bosco Prep star averaged 5.4 points and 3.2 rebounds as a freshman and was named to the All-Horizon League Tournament team.

Skara's departure currently gives the Crusaders three remaining open scholarships following the signings of guard Micah Bradford and center Jaume Sorolla. There remains a possibility that Keith Carter can regain a fifth year of eligibility. There also remains a possibility that Alec Peters could remain in the NBA Draft or elect to become a graduate transfer. First-year coach Matt Lottich could have as few as two scholarships remaining or as many as four. Peters has until May 25th to decide if he will remain in the NBA Draft. The spring signing period concludes on May 16th."

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/vu-s-david-skara-to-transfer/article_ff1e2116-05db-11e6-aa10-ff591ef2aaf3.html