• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

HL 2nd Round - Valpo vs Milwaukee 03/07/14 Friday 8:30 p.m. CT - game thread

Started by a3uge, March 06, 2014, 11:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephengries

2014-15

Carter.
Peters.
Nickerson. Maybe
Fernandez. Hopefully

Say what you will.. Carter's got what it takes.
We need 4 and 5.

Yeah yeo has his role too but can only be as good as his team allows him to be... On any team

valpotx

Better question, does Bryce let Carter stay after punching a guy in a game?
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

Yes but if we go to a post season tournament this year he benches him to show this kind of conduct will not be tolerated.  Otherwise next year he lets him know he starts with one strike.

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on March 08, 2014, 12:33:48 AMBetter question, does Bryce let Carter stay after punching a guy in a game?
Many of you may recall my recent theory that Carter was alien abducted and replaced by a mechanical imposter. I am now postulating (because of this performance) that they liked the real Keith so well that they came back and grabbed the rest of the team as well as the coaching staff. As we speak they may be playing or teaching the game of basketball and the Valpo way all across the galaxy!

I wish they would have taken me with them because these imposters they left behind certainly are painful to watch!                     

Pgmado

This may not be enough to defend Carter's actions, but sources close to the situation state that Tiby grabbed Carter in the family jewels and Carter reacted.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valpofan00

Quote from: valpotx on March 08, 2014, 12:33:48 AM
Better question, does Bryce let Carter stay after punching a guy in a game?
why in the world would bryce kick an excellent player off of the team for one stupid move? C'mon now

vu72

Tiby is a bit of a thug as well as a pretty good actor.  The "punch" wasn't exactly the stuff to knock him to the ground.  But I digress.  What a flippin disaster.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on March 08, 2014, 08:39:56 AMTiby is a bit of a thug as well as a pretty good actor.
yeah, we have a new villain.  what a classless point of sale.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

Hey, at least Carter showed some emotion.       (Fire in his belly is not always a bad thing.)

Remember Edwards getting ejected.

valpopal

I didn't comment on Carter previously because I wanted to wait for a full account. In the replay, it looked to me as if he was reacting to a provocation. A player doesn't just turn and strike at an opponent after one of his teammates has made a big basket. In addition, the replay seemed to show some acting on Tiby's part as he flopped to get the attention of the official—for which I don't fault Tiby, but it did add to my suspicion. Plus, Carter wasn't all that effective or targeted; it seemed to me more of a flailing than a calculated punch.

I remember having similar caution about reacting to the ejection of Bobby against Detroit last year, which was revealed as not fully Bobby's fault when the replay was shown and Anderson was seen doing his windmill move. Unfortunately, while Bobby's ejection sparked a big comeback for Valpo, Carter's did not. Had Carter's ejection been followed by a Valpo spurt and a win, some might be much more forgiving of Carter as we were of Bobby.

Often, the player who reacts is the one who gets caught, as we all know, which is why coaches insist on more self-discipline. Therefore, this is clearly not an excuse. However, if the account of Tiby's instigation is as suggested, one can understand an instant reaction by Carter, and this is more of an explanation.

I will not be as harsh on Carter as others have been, and I will not suggest further punishment by Bryce. I think we were just beginning to see the promise Keith has as a very good ballplayer, especially displayed in one great drive last night, and I look forward to his future, perhaps including playing with a fire in his belly, something some have often said was missing from the team. In fact, I can foresee a team of fiery young players next season, led by Carter, Williams, Peters, etc. I can't wait to watch them. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Smj on March 08, 2014, 08:44:06 AMHey, at least Carter showed some emotion.
Well, yeah...but which one of us, getting grabbed/punched/violated in the FJ, would not throw the first stone?

Noticed the refs, in the segment I saw, watching what Carter did over and over.  Nobody ever thinks to look for the instigation.  Tiby has a rep and Carter none. 

There are more subtle ways to get one's revenge, but then, that's the kind of thing that demands an immediate response.

EddieCabot

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 08, 2014, 09:22:27 AM
Quote from: Smj on March 08, 2014, 08:44:06 AMHey, at least Carter showed some emotion.
Well, yeah...but which one of us, getting grabbed/punched/violated in the FJ, would not throw the first stone?

Noticed the refs, in the segment I saw, watching what Carter did over and over.  Nobody ever thinks to look for the instigation.  Tiby has a rep and Carter none. 

There are more subtle ways to get one's revenge, but then, that's the kind of thing that demands an immediate response.

Have to wonder why Coach Drew and Carter weren't pleading their case to the officials?  They both were just standing around, from what I could see.  If the officials had been told what to look for, it could have been double ejections, instead of just one.

FWalum

Quote from: valpopal on March 07, 2014, 11:27:29 PMVashil needs less motion in his free-throw delivery, and I hope the coaching staff re-shapes his shot during the summer.
Start practicing the Virgil Sweet "Valpo" method right now.  This is something that realy bugs me when kids/young men are not taught the mechanics of shooting the ball.
http://www.courier-journal.com/VideoNetwork/1445530652001/Robbie-Hummel-and-the-Valpo-free-throw
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FWalum

Quote from: valporun on March 08, 2014, 12:09:16 AM
It landed on Tiby's chin. In the reviews of the tape during the game, you could see the punch hit Tiby's chin or jaw.
If that was a punch then thank God KC is not a boxer, fist wasn't closed and he wasn't even looking at him. Much more of a reaction to something.....
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: FWalum on March 08, 2014, 05:28:15 PMIf that was a punch then thank God KC is not a boxer
RIGHT?  I mean really.

Far more effective to drive the lane on him later, one foot forward like the karate kid.  Payback.

Unless...perhaps Tiby doesn't have a complete set.  I always think that anyone who would do that without fear of retribution probably has a reason not to fear the retribution.

historyman

Quote from: FWalum on March 08, 2014, 05:07:03 PM
Quote from: valpopal on March 07, 2014, 11:27:29 PMVashil needs less motion in his free-throw delivery, and I hope the coaching staff re-shapes his shot during the summer.
Start practicing the Virgil Sweet "Valpo" method right now.  This is something that realy bugs me when kids/young men are not taught the mechanics of shooting the ball. 
I can still hear Coach Sweet's wraspy voice explaining all those proper techniques the first time I heard it explained and thinking "is free throw shooting really this complicated." I never knew the gift I had been given by one of the finest coaches of fundamentals in the history of Indiana basketball.

Of course Coach Sweet also taught us the proper method of putting on the white P.E. socks so they school didn't have to buy more socks for the P.E. classes due to the socks getting stretched out of shape. He took it just as seriously as teaching the proper method of shooting free throws.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

a3uge

Think of how great GB would be doing if Brown was playing tonight. UWM up 21-11 with 5 min left in 1st.

classof2014

Like many have said, if we don't have a offensive post presence next season we'll be in trouble. Hopefully we can get a JUCO or transfer, who has played well and not sat on the bench like Bobby or had zero offensive presence like Moussa, for next season. There is no doubt in my mind that was the missing link to this team.

Anyways, the punch Carter through was stupid, there is no doubt. At least he's the only one who seemed to be hustling every play in this game as well as the UWM game.

Like I said we need an athletic post player who has seen action at a level above high-school and can play immediately.

vu72

Well we probably shouldn't feel so bad the way Milwaukee is handling GB.  Brown has 2 points and an injured Sykes has zero at half.  Not sure what Milwaukee has been drinking but they are playing like world beaters.  I think GB will lose this one unfortunately.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Wow! LeCrone must really be enjoying the double bye tonight!

Did Tiby have too much hair in his eyes during the season?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on March 08, 2014, 09:34:26 PMI think GB will lose this one unfortunately.
It looks like Green Bay is going to pull away and win easily.

EDIT: Wow! Milwaukee stems the tide and gets the game into OT. Very exciting finish.

a3uge