• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

#Valpo15BuckDraft

Started by Pgmado, May 31, 2014, 05:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pgmado

For those not on Twitter. Have some fun...

[tweet]472863253735829504[/tweet]

wh

$5 Bryce Drew (PG)
$4 Lubos Barton (SF)
$3 Brandon Wood (SG)
$2 Kevin Van Wijk (C)
$1 Cory Johnson (PF)

Positive 1: Average defensively but a powerhouse offense with 5 players who would create match-up problems all over the court.
Positive 2: Everyone other than Kevin capable of playing more than 1 position.     

LaPorteAveApostle

great idea. 

PG:  B Drew (because obligatory)
SG:  B Wood (pre-MSU because no green-n-white allowed)
SF:  C Schmidt (I still remember the pic in the Vidette-Mess of him hanging on the rim in HS.  got a tech for it.  seemed awesome.)
PF:  J Ford (you never forget your first love)
C:  T Vilcinskas (need someone over 6'5 and who won't demand shots)

Everyone can shoot from outside, but they won't really want to take it to the rack.  Stan Van Gundy would approve (© Statements Of Dubious Value 2014).
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Sacrificing defense for offense: Drew, Jones, Broekhoff, Johnson, Van Wijk.

valpotx

No Grafs love at all on Twitter or here!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Don't you have to include Bill Jenkins? If only for the athleticism he showed on one play that made Valpo a household name.

on the right #44

You gotta love the look on # 33, Zoran's face!! And the look on Bryce's face, grimacing while bracing for the impact of his teammates about to pounce on him.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

OK, I'll take Grafs.

Drew  PG
Wood SG
Grafs  C
Oppland  PF
Broekhoff  SF
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on June 01, 2014, 08:14:45 AM
OK, I'll take Grafs.

Drew  PG
Wood SG
Grafs  C
Oppland  PF
Broekhoff  SF

[Buzzer Sounds!] Sorry, try again! You are only allowed $15 to spend, and you have just spent $23!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on June 01, 2014, 09:30:48 AM[Buzzer Sounds!] Sorry, try again! You are only allowed $15 to spend, and you have just spent $23!
I'm so glad.  I looked at his lineup, couldn't find any holes, and thought, wow!  I really missed on this one.

Turns out it wasn't me at all.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on June 01, 2014, 09:30:48 AM
Quote from: vu72 on June 01, 2014, 08:14:45 AM
OK, I'll take Grafs.

Drew  PG
Wood SG
Grafs  C
Oppland  PF
Broekhoff  SF

[Buzzer Sounds!] Sorry, try again! You are only allowed $15 to spend, and you have just spent $23!

Oh yes, THE RULES!!  Silly me. 

Ok, second try:

I'll take  Drew at the point (5), Wood at the 2 (3), Schmidt at the 3 (3), Cory Johnson at the 4 (1) and...(drum roll please...) Ensminger at the 5 (3)

That gives me the number 1 scorer and the number 1 rebounder and three other dudes who could play!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

NO WAY on Wood.

The year he left, it was addition by subtraction.

Paul

a3uge

Quote from: 78crusader on June 01, 2014, 03:06:05 PM
NO WAY on Wood.

The year he left, it was addition by subtraction.

Paul

Did you watch any of these games?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

justducky

For a buck each you just can not afford to not take Huff at SF and Vilcinskas at center. Wood SG for $3 is also a great value. That leaves me with $10 that I would spend on Drew PG and Oppland PF. This would be a team that could be beaten from time to time by other $15 combinations but never consistently.

IndyValpo

$5 Bryce Drew (PG)
$1 Milo Stovall (SG)
$3 Casey Schmidt (SF)
$1 Cory Johnson (PF)
$5 Raitis Grafs (C)

Valpo89

All right, I'll play.
I'll take two $5 players - Broekhoff and Bryce.
KVW is a steal at $2. Mike Jones at $2, and Cory Johnson at $1.
Not overly "athletic" but I've got four guys who played/are playing pro and maybe the best pure shooter in Valpo history.

LaPorteAveApostle

I'll simplify it for everyone.

Pick an SG, an SF, a PF, and a C.

#Valpo10BuckDraft

;)

Pgmado

Here are the results through 17 entries over Facebook/Twitter and the message board. I'd be really curious to see how people would pick if Bryce wasn't an option.

PG
Bryce Drew ($5) -- 15
Jamie Sykes ($2) -- 1
Erik Buggs ($1) -- 1

SG
Milo Stovall ($1) -- 8
Mike Jones ($2) -- 4
Brandon Wood ($3) -- 3
Tracy Gipson ($5) -- 1
David Redmon ($4) -- 1

SF
Lubos Barton ($4) -- 5
Casey Schmidt ($3) -- 5
Ryan Broekhoff ($5) -- 4
Shawn Huff ($1) -- 2
Anthony Allison ($2) -- 1

PF
Cory Johnson ($1) -- 8
Kikas Gomes ($4) -- 4
Dan Oppland ($5) -- 2
Wayne Charles ($2) -- 2
Jim Ford ($3) -- 1

C
Kevin Van Wijk ($2) -- 7
Tony Vilcinskas ($1) -- 5
Raitis Grafs ($5) -- 2
Chris Ensminger ($3) -- 2
Zoran Viskovic ($4) -- 1

LaPorteAveApostle

Very interesting!  It's such a great exercise, and I don't know if you came up with it yourself, but if so, wow!, and if not, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

The fascinating thing is how interconnected everything is--like the sport itself.  Because choosing Bryce first makes everything else the "ten buck draft" I joked about.  (The other "ten buck draft" joke I'd like to make involves going to an MLB game and getting thirsty.)

For instance, do more Valpo fans like Milo than everyone else at SG put together, as the totals suggest? I would think not, but pair him with Bryce and right away you're back to having $9 for the last 3.  It's a good value pick, as it were.

Perhaps a mite surprised to see I was the only one going for Jim Ford.  But Cory Johnson at a third of the cost, and giving you the same range with 3 more inches of height...well, I guess I almost talked myself out of it too. :)

And we haven't even begun to wrangle about 5-4-3-2-1 pecking order!  Perfect offseason topic.

Pgmado

Last week an all-time NBA version of the #15BuckDraft went viral. It was brought to my attention by Adam Amin and then Adam, Luke Gore and myself had a draft on Twitter where once a player was gone, you had to go with someone else. Much like Bryce Drew, Michael Jordan was first off the board. (Has MJ ever been the follow up in a sentence that started "Much like Bryce Drew?) Frustrated watching my Brewers get walloped by the Cubs on Saturday, I decided to make a Valpo version. I think had I put more time into it, the dollar values (and positions) would've been different. I'm interested to hear from some of the older guys on here. In addition to Bruce Lidner, are there any other old Valpo players who definitely need to be on the list of all-time greats?

valpopal

Quote from: Pgmado on June 02, 2014, 08:26:48 PM
In addition to Bruce Lidner, are there any other old Valpo players who definitely need to be on the list of all-time greats?

If we go back to before Division I play, I might add John Meyne.

zvillehaze

Quote from: valpopal on June 02, 2014, 09:16:08 PM
In addition to Bruce Lidner, are there any other old Valpo players who definitely need to be on the list of all-time greats?

Valpo went DI in '78-'79...Meyne played in the early '80's ('82-'83 and '83-'84, if my memory serves). 

LaPorteAveApostle

Not old enough to know personally, but from my heavy perusal of stat sheets, Dick Jones looks like he kept the statisticians busy then too.

Thanks for the history update for the non-twitterversed.  I think you're right--the $ values might need to be tweaked, and maybe a couple names different, but again, everyone's list of 25 players (and values) will be even more different than the starting 5s they picked (anyone pick the same 5, speaking of?)!

I can't imagine an All-NBA version being successful for the simple reason that, say, take C for example.  Wilt at 5, Kareem 4, Hakeem 3, Bill Russell 2 and Shaq 1 (just spitballing, no idea of what the actual one was)?  How can you go really wrong with any of them?  And even if you could, is Wilt really 5 times better or more valuable than having Shaq down low?  (The limitations of the genre, of course.)

(Indeed, given the nature of anyone good enough to make the top-5 in NBA history, I'm willing to imagine that All-$1s could beat the All-$5s half the time.  I'll go look that up now.)

But back to the topic at hand.
WHAT IF we combined your two ideas and had like a top-10 for Valpo history at each position? 
--First, we would vote for who we think the top 10 are -- that's fun in and of itself,
--and then once all positions are ranked, have ten guys 'draft' their starting 5?
--finally we argue over whose team would be best.

Before you know it, it's October and the schedule will almost be done!

valpopal

Quote from: zvillehaze on June 02, 2014, 09:37:08 PM

Valpo went DI in '78-'79...Meyne played in the early '80's ('82-'83 and '83-'84, if my memory serves).

Yes, thanks for that correction. I would still add Meyne on a list of the all-time best players.

vu72

You have to go with Wolfenberg, Lindner, Steve Cook (probably the greatest athlete in Valpo history) Chuck Kristin, Dick Jones and Tommy Smith.  Note:  Cook, Jones and Smith played on the 65-66 team that averaged something like 90 points per game before the 3 point shot.  Those guys could run!

78crusader

Better not forget Tyrone Williams, Bob Dille, and Joel Oberman.

Paul