• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bracketology

Started by oklahomamick, November 04, 2016, 12:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Gotta love this version, Valpo as a 12 going up against a five seeded Butler in Milwaukee!!!!  I would not miss this one!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Wouldn't that be fantastic.  Buck Futler forever :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on December 02, 2016, 09:16:57 AM
Gotta love this version, Valpo as a 12 going up against a five seeded Butler in Milwaukee!!!!  I would not miss this one!

That would be fun!  It would also equal the highest NCAAT seed for both teams.  Hope they both keep playing as well as they have early this season.

oklahomamick

New one posted December 15.

Valpo #13 seed vs #4 Wisconsin @ Milwaukee

Couldn't believe he had Rhode Island as a # 10 seed.  Don't believe it?  Look at it

CRUSADERS!!!

StlVUFan

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 15, 2016, 09:37:27 PM

Couldn't believe he had Rhode Island as a # 10 seed.  Don't believe it?  Look at it

It's Lunardi, isn't it?  Enough said.

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 15, 2016, 09:37:27 PM

I could care about this about as much as I care about pre-season polls.

a3uge

Way too early to care about 11 vs 12 vs 13 seed. The important part is that we've given no reason for a terrible seed, and that's all you can ask for from a mid major team, if Valpo makes the tournament.

zvillehaze

agibson

Quote from: zvillehaze on December 20, 2016, 08:50:22 AM

Valpo a 10 seed in Jerry Palm's latest (12/19) bracket.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

With the at-large play-in games at the 11 and 12 spot. Complimentary.

Evidently it's also not too soon for
http://bracketmatrix.com/

We have an 8 and a 9 in the current iteration. But, on balance, maybe we're 5th or 6th out of the at-large places in that compendium.

covufan

Quote from: agibson on December 20, 2016, 09:24:40 AMEvidently it's also not too soon forhttp://bracketmatrix.com/We have an 8 and a 9 in the current iteration. But, on balance, maybe we're 5th or 6th out of the at-large places in that compendium.
The way I'm reading the Bracketmatrix site is that Valpo is on 19 of the 24 brackets that bracketmatrix is currently following.  Oakland is on 6 brackets.  Only ISW has Valpo as an at-large berth.  The other 23 have either Valpo or Oakland winning the HL tournament to get into the NCAA tournament. 

Yes, we have one 8 seed and two 9 seeds.  If we are somehow able to get an 11/12 seed, I think we could do something this year.

Kyle321n

Kyletology (my own evolving formulaic way of figuring out the bracket that's frankly a little  :crazy:) has Valpo at a 13 seed and we're playing Duke. Right now that game would take place in Milwaukee, but knowing the NCAA they will find a way to get Duke in South Carolina. The other teams in Milwaukee: #3 Butler playing #14 Princeton, #5 Notre Dame playing #12 Nevada and #6 South Carolina playing the winner of Oklahoma St and Utah.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpo84

Move us to a 12 and you get the ND - Valpo game we've been waiting for....
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Kyle321n

Quote from: valpo84 on January 24, 2017, 10:02:18 AM
Move us to a 12 and you get the ND - Valpo game we've been waiting for....

Or if we beat Duke and ND wins, you could have the Lutheran Miracle II

talksalot

Anyone else glad to have this conversation back up and active?   Just sayin'

oh, and the little popup adds are not distracting! (seriously, they're OK)   "Search for Russian Women" was a bit of a curiousity... and then the Hungry Howies popped up approaching lunch time.

Hope they are covering the costs!

Valpower

Quote from: talksalot on January 24, 2017, 10:52:19 AM
Anyone else glad to have this conversation back up and active?   Just sayin'

oh, and the little popup adds are not distracting! (seriously, they're OK)   "Search for Russian Women" was a bit of a curiousity... and then the Hungry Howies popped up approaching lunch time.

Hope they are covering the costs!

You may not want to divulge which ads you see, talksalot.  Remember, they are targeted to individual users based on their browsing history and, ahem, interests.  ;)

justducky

Quote from: talksalot on January 24, 2017, 10:52:19 AMAnyone else glad to have this conversation back up and active?   Just sayin'
Yes and no. Seems like I spent a lot of time thinkings about brackets last years and then was surprised with a first round pair up with Texas Southern at the ARC.  :o Speaking of TSU they just lost to Mississippi Valley St which dropped them from 72 to 97 in RPI. They had zero OOC home games and are leading the SWAC by miles. It would be temping to give them a home and home just from respect for their coach.

This year I refuse to think much past the HL Tournament seeding. From experience I am expecting our competitors to provide NBA level efforts at JLA while showing us as little as possible between then and now. So stay focused, keeping March in mind and quit worrying about the statistical success rates between a 12 or 13 seed. At this point in time with our needs for continued improvement Matt should only be worried about developing a HL Tournament Champion. If that loses us an extra game or 2 then, Oh Well.

I am prepared to talk NIT by floating a question. If we are beaten at JLA and are not the regular season HL champion then how many more losses could we sustain and still receive an NIT at-large bid?

ml2

Last year the NIT "at-large" picks consisted of 10 Power 5 (& Big East) schools with an average RPI of 75.2, and 9 non-Power 5 schools with an average RPI of 57.7. Our current RPI is 63. So we'd need to stay in that ball park because basically only P5 schools can get into the NIT at-large with an RPI over 70.

Valpo89

wh

Kyle321n

Right now Kyletology has us in Buffalo, N.Y.

#5 UCLA vs. #12 VERMONT
#4 CINCINNATI vs. #13 VALPARAISO

We need to move up about 15 more spots in RPI for us to really start moving up the seed lines. Right now Vermont is #52 in my rankings and Valpo is #66. Granted once we get to Vermont's spot we're talking boarderline at-large bid.

oklahomamick

Quote from: Kyle321n on January 30, 2017, 01:33:34 PMRight now Kyletology has us in Buffalo, N.Y. #5 UCLA vs. #12 VERMONT #4 CINCINNATI vs. #13 VALPARAISO We need to move up about 15 more spots in RPI for us to really start moving up the seed lines. Right now Vermont is #52 in my rankings and Valpo is #66. Granted once we get to Vermont's spot we're talking boarderline at-large bid.

How can we improve our rankings?  The HL offers zero opportunities.  All HL RPI's are extremely weak. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Kyle321n

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 30, 2017, 01:39:36 PM
How can we improve our rankings?  The HL offers zero opportunities.  All HL RPI's are extremely weak. 

Win. Don't stop winning. Teams in front of us will lose which will cause them to drop. All we can do is control what's in front of us and that's to win the games we have.

LiveRPI currently has us at 40 if we win out in the regular season. I'd say a move of 16 spots despite our weak conference schedule is damn good.