• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball 2016-2017

Started by valporun, November 25, 2016, 07:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpotx on April 28, 2017, 08:29:34 PM
I was surprised to see that Amber Lindfors is transferring to SLU.  She did have a ways to go in the coordination department, but she was decent.  Anyone know why?
Ouch, that hurts. She could have been very effective. This makes sense of the 6-5 signing. I looked at SLU women's program. They had a very good year making the WNIT. However this was their first winning season since 02-03 the only other time in the 2000's they had winning seasons. Historically they are a train wreck like we are now.

VULB#62

The flagship sport at SLU (roundball) seems to have tanked on both the men' and women's sides. And they still want to stay in the A10 and continue the floggings?

valpotx

I believe that they have two winning seasons in a row, as they have been to the WNIT both years.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Hopefully going into the 2017-18 season Dorow is on the hot seat. Too much is invested and the results are way below par. The coaching job is very likely a bad fit for her.

NativeCheesehead

If there's one thing that shows that don't give a crap about having a winning women's basketball program the the fact that's Dorow is still our coach. My guess is we know she's not the answer but we're too cheap to buy her out.

usc4valpo

Cheese, that is typical Valpo - cripe it took them four years until they realized Carlson was an inept head football coach. But I feel his is a make or break year for Dorow.

Vinny

Wow. Did not see Ljndfors as the one leaving. Two years in a row a starter has left. Don't forget Tabitha a few years ago either.

Safe to say most here agree the problem lies at the top. How much could it really cost to buy the HC out? $250k? Or just name one of the assistants as head coach and begin the search for 2018. Sad to already write off next year, but here we are.

IndyValpo

Before Lindfors came to Valpo she had signed with SEMO.  She reopened her choices after he was fired. He was recently hired as an assistant at SLU.

VULB#62

So?  I don't see the connection. What does that have to do with it?   ;) ;) ;)  ::)

IndyValpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 01, 2017, 06:29:22 PM
So?  I don't see the connection. What does that have to do with it?   ;) ;) ;)  ::)

She decides to leave and goes to a school who has the coach she had originally committed to while in HS.

VULB#62

Sorry, to make you waste your time.  I needed to put more  ;)  in my post   ;D

FWalum

This has not really been touched on in the whole MVC discussion, but does anyone have any feel for how our program matches up with the WBB programs in the Valley?  Are we going to be able to compete at all?  Does the MVC have a team as dominate as Green Bay?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

With absolutely no stats to back up my guess, I'd say no, but The Valley overall might be much tougher than the HL. Our women's program is in line for even harder times if we are invited. Benton might be the HBB in waiting.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 08, 2017, 05:56:41 PM
Eddie Benton Jr.  hired as WBB assistant from Duquesne.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2016-17/17404/valpo-adds-benton-to-womens-basketball-coaching-staff/#.WRD3D1KZMo8
Seems like a good hire, will bring energy. I am curious why he was not at Duquense last year. Looks like he was a finalist for Vermont's head coaching job.

valpo84

Dorow is clearly on the hot seat and with the potential conference move unsettled probably the last month or so, it was probably best to leave alone, solidify the recruiting class and then evaluate how we do the first year in MVC before determining her fate.  With the potential move to the MVC, one would think this HC job would be a more desirable job with higher level candidates (top assistants from the big conferences) and that it should provide better recruiting opportunities for that coach. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Vinny

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 08, 2017, 05:56:41 PMEddie Benton Jr.  hired as WBB assistant from Duquesne. http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2016-17/17404/valpo-adds-benton-to-womens-basketball-coaching-staff/#.WRD3D1KZMo8

The news of the hiring is basically irrelevant because as all of us fans have figured out - the school doesn't want to buy out Dorow's contract and so we're in for a year long exercise of kicking the can down the road. What I am curious about is why he wasn't coaching in 2016-17.

valporun

Not meaning to be judgmental, but sounds like the guy wanted more money than Valpo was going to offer, and he used Valpo as the stepping stone because it would show he coached at a D-1 program, even if he never sat on the bench for a game? Hope we find an assistant that is committed to getting this team winning regularly.

valpotx

I will judge him.  He accepted and started a job in May, only to leave in July.  What a putz...
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

I agree with TX. But at the same time I can't help but wonder if he got in here and said, "What a mess." If this had happened at a place like Green Bay you'd immediately think it's the assistant and not the program. But we've turned over assistants faster than than Bryce takes off his jacket over the past few seasons.  Hard to not think the program played a role.

jack

I can't imagine a 2 month stint at a small D1 school would improve his stock any. I've got to agree with tx. It's hard to get a handle on a program until your on the inside. With the revolving door we've had, and the people still in place, it must have seemed like too daunting a task to embark on. A couple of seasons with this program on your resume, if things don't change, could hurt your stock.