• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jubril Adekoya and the Honor Council

Started by usc4valpo, December 30, 2016, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

I do not know what will happen to Jubril Adekoya. He may be guilty, he may not be guilty - I have no idea. but 2 issues really bother me with the honor council based on what I am reading.

First, the honor council is run like a French government - you are guilty until you are proven innocent. Anyone can report an issue confidentially and you are guilty. This person can have a vendetta against you - maybe an ex-partner in a relationship, rivaling fraternities and sororities trying to get the better end for some bogus superiority, one student jealous or antagonistic against another. But someone can report anything and you are automaticially guilty. That is wrong and can lead to a lawsuit. Also, are there any consequences for those making a unethical report?

Second, and more significant for this situation - if the honor council is a very significant part of how Valpo is operated, then why should Jubril Adekoya wait until the start of the spring semester for a decision to be made? if the report occurs at the end of the spring semester, why should the indicted student have to wait for the start of the fall semester? I understand student and professors are involved and it is a holiday break, but a person's integrity and career is at stake, and a decision should be made in a more prompt manner. If the honor council is important, Some honor council mentors, students, leaders and whoever should be made available to promptly assess and make decisions for situations like these. This should also apply to anyone.

crusader05

Just out of curiosity, has anyone confirmed that the reason Jubril is sitting out is waiting for the Honor Council? If the student who helped Jubril cheat was a part of the team in any way, it becomes an NCAA issue, correct? My assumption has always been that they are sitting him now to show the NCAA they are taking this seriously while also investigating that it has not continued to happen. IF it had happened for more than just once class, and they allow him to play and it turns out that he ends up ineligible for all his fall classes the team would have won with an ineligible player. This seems less like waiting on the honor council and more like an abundance of caution during an investigation to not invalidate any potential wins.

VU2624

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 30, 2016, 10:16:30 AMI do not know what will happen to Jubril Adekoya. He may be guilty, he may not be guilty - I have no idea. but 2 issues really bother me with the honor council based on what I am reading. First, the honor council is run like a French government - you are guilty until you are proven innocent. Anyone can report an issue confidentially and you are guilty. This person can have a vendetta against you - maybe an ex-partner in a relationship, rivaling fraternities and sororities trying to get the better end for some bogus superiority, one student jealous or antagonistic against another. But someone can report anything and you are automaticially guilty. That is wrong and can lead to a lawsuit. Also, are there any consequences for those making a unethical report? Second, and more significant for this situation - if the honor council is a very significant part of how Valpo is operated, then why should Jubril Adekoya wait until the start of the spring semester for a decision to be made? if the report occurs at the end of the spring semester, why should the indicted student have to wait for the start of the fall semester? I understand student and professors are involved and it is a holiday break, but a person's integrity and career is at stake, and a decision should be made in a more prompt manner. If the honor council is important, Some honor council mentors, students, leaders and whoever should be made available to promptly assess and make decisions for situations like these. This should also apply to anyone.

You're making multiple assumptions here regarding Jubril since we don't know what the issue is or what process is involved aside from rumors informed or otherwise. 

The process of the Honor Council much like the Wheels of Justice does move slow.

usc4valpo

2624 - true, but something needs to be done to speed up the process.

valpotx

If you saw my post in the Chicago State thread specific to my Honor Code accusation experience at Valpo, you will know that I fully agree that the HC review process is a bit backwards.  To answer your query about whether the accuser has any repercussions if they levy a false accusation, they do not.  In my case, it was just a 'ho hum' attitude that they were incorrect in their accusation.  I asked the student investigator if I was allowed to seek any type of punishment to the person that falsely accused me, and I was told that there is no recourse for such a thing.  Meanwhile, I got to spend my entire 2-3 month Summer wondering what the heck I was being accused of, since they didn't really tell you anything substantial until you meet with the investigator.  I was only told the class that it involved, and that it was someone saying that I cheated.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Tx - your post made me think about this. I think the honor council needs to reassess their decision process or there can be potential lawsuits. We live in a new century and the process can certainly be expedited.

wh

The fact that Jubril has been suspended from the team but Max hasn't suggests to me that Jubril's case has already been decided; Max's hasn't. Like any court case, it's far less time consuming to get to the bottom line when someone pleads guilty.

Thus, my best guess is Jubril has been suspended from the basketball team until the beginning of the 2nd semester as part of the disciplinary action imposed by the Honor Council. Max's case and disposition have yet to be determined.

valpolaw

The honor council process sounds like a kangaroo court. They should address each situation promptly and swiftly especially given the potential repercussions one could get. I would hope they would do something to someone if they falsely and/or intentionally tried to set someone up to get in trouble with the honor council if they didn't do anything wrong. Otherwise, I would assume it would be fair game to sue the person making the false allegations for defamation in a civil case

VULB#62

Quote from: valpolaw on December 30, 2016, 11:57:30 AM
The honor council process sounds like a kangaroo court. They should address each situation promptly and swiftly especially given the potential repercussions one could get. I would hope they would do something to someone if they falsely and/or intentionally tried to set someone up to get in trouble with the honor council if they didn't do anything wrong. Otherwise, I would assume it would be fair game to sue the person making the false allegations for defamation in a civil case

Do they even know who the accuser might be, or is that confidential?

valpolaw

I would assume they have to provide you with the evidence against you so you can properly defend yourself against whatever is being alleged but I'm not entirely sure how it works at Valpo. Maybe there's some confidentiality to it. However, if a lawsuit was filed, the records and everything would be subject to full discovery and a subpoena so you could find out who made the allegations.

M

I would think since he's been sitting games since before break began that his case has been heard and the punishment assigned. I also assume Max's case was heard and decided as well. I would think these cases would be sped up knowing what was at stake. I'm hopeful we see Jubril in uniform today.

VU2624

Quote from: valpolaw on December 30, 2016, 12:34:34 PMI would assume they have to provide you with the evidence against you so you can properly defend yourself against whatever is being alleged but I'm not entirely sure how it works at Valpo. Maybe there's some confidentiality to it. However, if a lawsuit was filed, the records and everything would be subject to full discovery and a subpoena so you could find out who made the allegations.

They present you with the evidence. If the accuser is a student, the student's identity is not revealed. The Honor Council appears to only rule on the educational element. In other words, if guilty you get an F. There's really no room for recommendation of a sports suspension. The only possibility would be a case with aggravating circumstances which might include a criminal element. I don't think this case would if what the rumors are actually is the case. There is a recording of the proceedings but the recording is not made available other than to a select few. Accused is not permitted legal representation in the hearing.

In terms of suing, I wonder if you give up that right by agreeing to the Honor Code in the first place.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 30, 2016, 12:28:14 PM
Quote from: valpolaw on December 30, 2016, 11:57:30 AM

Do they even know who the accuser might be, or is that confidential?

Based on what we've been previously told, the accuser is the former team manager who presumably has been kicked out of school for stealing. Thus, I suspect the issue may be more NCAA related versus Honor Counsel, particularly if more then one class was involved.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

Yes, I think all of these questions about the honor council are probably not really why he's sitting out. If this student had proof and Jubril admitted the process would be fairly quickly processed through the council as it is a real clear cut case of cheating. My guess is this is more related to NCAA and eligibility.  The other thing that makes me think that this is not honor council related yet is the relative amount of silence around this. Something like this going to honor council would probably lead to a lot more leaky lips and would not really require the team to keep it's mouth shut this tightly. My fear is that Jubril was not the only one that received this service over the last year or so. My guess is that they are attempting to investigate how far this might go and don't want people asking questions about it until they know all the facts.

valpotx

You are correct that you NEVER find out the identity of the accuser.  They are completely protected, while the accused gets disciplined immediately, in the form of being treated as if you are guilty.  I wasn't given my final exam or semester grade until this was resolved, so again, I had to wait 2-3 months for some 10 minute 'investigation,' while the accuser got to continue with his/her life unaffected.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Or he failed several classes and fell below the required 12 credit hours for last semester eligibility.

Would he then have to wait until he is registered for 12+ credit hours to play?  I.E. 2nd week of January'ish?

After all, he travels with the team and sits on their bench.

wh

"Playing college basketball is a privilege, starting's a privilege," Lottich said. "Derrik played well against Chicago State. Jay can't control his circumstance, but Derrik was at practice. He deserved it.

"This is what I wanted — I wanted to keep a big 'five' in there, a fresh one, and both of them gave us huge minutes. It's a little bit of a two-headed monster. We're going to try to continue to build on this."

Innocuous comment, or a hint about a future without Jubril?

M

I'd think he wants to play one of the big freshmen, Jubril at the 4 and Alec at the 3. He's hinting at a comeback 🤞

justducky

Quote from: M on December 31, 2016, 11:50:32 AMI'd think he wants to play one of the big freshmen, Jubril at the 4 and Alec at the 3. He's hinting at a comeback 🤞

We will miss Jubril most against opponents who grab an early lead and force us to go small. We no longer have a solid answer for that situation even if Alec plays 38 minutes.

On the positive side my optimism for Jaume and Derrik has skyrocketed. With or without Jubril we need to keep their feet to the fire. I can now picture their end of season play levels and they could be substantial contributors to any post season success.

VU2014

A few Questions:

Does anyone know if Jubril is still participating in practicing?

And I heard something about a manager leaving the team? What happened with the team manager? Something about stealing? I thought I remember reading something in the forum about that.

Also has anyone seen or heard anything about John Middleton? John was one of the transfer redshirts this year. He wasn't in the team photo way in the beginning of the season. I have haven't heard anything. Was wondering if he was on the bench with the team.

zvillehaze

Quote from: VU2014 on December 31, 2016, 01:23:31 PM
A few Questions:

Does anyone know if Jubril is still participating in practicing?

And I heard something about a manager leaving the team? What happened with the team manager? Something about stealing? I thought I remember reading something in the forum about that.

Also has anyone seen or heard anything about John Middleton? John was one of the transfer redshirts this year. He wasn't in the team photo way in the beginning of the season. I have haven't heard anything. Was wondering if he was on the bench with the team.

Per Twitter earlier today, Middleton is no longer with the team.  Mentioned by both Oren and Osipoff.

VU2014

QuotePer Twitter earlier today, Middleton is no longer with the team.  Mentioned by both Oren and Osipoff.

Thanks for the heads up. Wonder what happened. This means we have an additional scholarship opening.

valpotx

When does the Spring semester start up again?  I have to think that is what we are waiting for, because he is still on the bench for each home game.  I would have to think that if he is suspended for the year, he wouldn't be allowed to do so?
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2624

wh

Quote from: VU2624 on January 08, 2017, 09:38:16 PM
Starts Jan 11th. Wednesday.

3 weeks and 5 days between semesters. Wow!  I wonder if freshmen are going to have to use Google Maps to find their way back?  ;)