• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jubril Adekoya and the Honor Council

Started by usc4valpo, December 30, 2016, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

Osipoff dropped a tweet stating Thursday's game is the first of the new semester....hopefully he is hinting that something is up

covufan

Did I see Jubril in uniform on Friday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU2624

Quote from: covufan on January 08, 2017, 11:58:03 PMDid I see Jubril in uniform on Friday? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked like he was in street clothes to me.

valpo84

Quote from: wh on January 08, 2017, 09:55:49 PM
Quote from: VU2624 on January 08, 2017, 09:38:16 PM
Starts Jan 11th. Wednesday.

3 weeks and 5 days between semesters. Wow!  I wonder if freshmen are going to have to use Google Maps to find their way back?  ;)

But if they do find their way back, they will get a 2d semester is starting cupcake and participation ribbon.   8-)

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

bbtds

Quote from: valpo84 on January 09, 2017, 08:38:06 AM
Quote from: wh on January 08, 2017, 09:55:49 PM
Quote from: VU2624 on January 08, 2017, 09:38:16 PM
Starts Jan 11th. Wednesday.

3 weeks and 5 days between semesters. Wow!  I wonder if freshmen are going to have to use Google Maps to find their way back?  ;)

But if they do find their way back, they will get a 2d semester is starting cupcake and participation ribbon.   8-)

I have some awards like those.

SanityLost17

Speculation (btw - I have not read this thread or any other for a while, so perhaps the answer has already been revealed): 

I work at a high school.  "25% of your season" is a very common punishment for athletes at our level.  We had 31 regular season games.  25% of that is 7.75 (rounds up to 8).   He has been out 7 games so far.  Perhaps one more game and then he is back? 

wh

I know what I am about to say is SO wrong on so many levels, but I have to admit that I have been thinking that enough is enough with this punishment thing.  Yes, the kid violated the honor code.  He confessed his transgressions.  He was suspended from the team. He's missed a bunch of games. He probably flunked one or more courses that he'll have to retake.  So, when is enough enough?

If this happened at Missouri, for example, someone would file a discrimination suit on his behalf when it first happened, there would be organized marches and protests, the basketball team would refuse to play until he's reinstated, the university president would be fired, and his replacement would drop the whole thing in a heartbeat. By the time it's all said and done, he would be issued an apology and assigned his own personal safe space so he could recover from the stress and discomfort he suffered from being accused of something. 

That, of course, represents the ridiculous liberal extreme, but, conversely, does what Valpo is doing represent an equally ridiculous conservative extreme?  It's like 2 sets of parents at opposite ends of the discipline spectrum.  One set coddles the kid, while the other set beats the kid.

Ok, kill me.  ;)         

FieldGoodie05

Point well taken...but what if it's not academic at all?  We had some guy who is anonymous (vulgar) and unknown make a statement about basketball assistant...baseball thievery and our two guys having school work done for them.  Verified by reliable source?  Are any of the assistants no longer with the bball program even?

Has any of that been confirmed irregardless of what JOSEPH and Jubril were suspended for?  Just being the devils advocate to cut out the variables that haven't been confirmed by a valued resource.

usc4valpo

Perhaps the honor council will get to work

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on January 10, 2017, 05:54:20 PM
I know what I am about to say is SO wrong on so many levels, but I have to admit that I have been thinking that enough is enough with this punishment thing.  Yes, the kid violated the honor code.  He confessed his transgressions.  He was suspended from the team. He's missed a bunch of games. He probably flunked one or more courses that he'll have to retake.  So, when is enough enough?

If this happened at Missouri, for example, someone would file a discrimination suit on his behalf when it first happened, there would be organized marches and protests, the basketball team would refuse to play until he's reinstated, the university president would be fired, and his replacement would drop the who,kle thing in a heartbeat. By the time it's all said and done, he would be issued an apology and assigned his own personal safe space so he could recover from the stress and discomfort he suffered from being accused of something. 

That, of course, represents the ridiculous liberal extreme, but, conversely, does what Valpo is doing represent an equally ridiculous conservative extreme?  It's like 2 sets of parents at opposite ends of the discipline spectrum.  One set coddles the kid, while the other set beats the kid.

Ok, kill me.  ;)       

No, you are spared. But what if those prescribed  "failures" in themselves make him ineligible ( I have no clue about his GPA..... just wondering).

FWalum

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 10, 2017, 10:01:37 PMNo, you are spared. But what if those prescribed  "failures" in themselves make him ineligible ( I have no clue about his GPA..... just wondering).
I would think it would have to be a large number of classes for him to become ineligible considering Jubril is a member of the Horizon League Academic Honor Roll and was a Horizon league representative to the NCAA Student-Athlete Leadership Forum.

This is what doesn't make sense to me, if this is an honor code violation and the examples that have been laid out on this forum are the status quo for the way these violations are handled, according to the "source" both Jubril and Max were accused of a violation, but are being handled differently.  Jubril supposedly admitted to something (we don't really know what that entails) and Max did not... The way the examples have been explained, admittance of guilt or not really had no affect on the Honor Council proceedings.... so why is Max being allowed to play????
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

sliman

Very few people seem to know the full story surrounding Jubril (and Max) so we're all speculating and guessing.  Here are a couple of thoughts.  If as has been reported here, Max denied doing anything wrong and he's still playing; Jubril admitted making a false honor code statement so he's not playing (having admitted violating the Honor Code).  If the Honor Council did not have an opportunity to meet during final exam period, it's possible that Max's case may still get reviewed in the same time period time Jubril's is heard.  Perhaps Max is not out of the woods yet.  It's also possible that the issue with Jubril could be the effect that failing a class (due to the alleged Honor Code violation) would have.  At one time there was a rule that you had to have passed 12 hours the previous semester to be eligible.  If, for example, Jubril was enrolled in 14 credits and is given a failing grade in a 3-hour course, he potentially would have passed only 11 hours.  His gpa, which apparently is solid, has no bearing in that case.  The scenario with Max, in addition to his denial of guilt, is that even if the Honor Council finds him guilty of something and he is given a failing grade in a class, it might not negatively impact the rule regarding the number of hours passed the previous semester -- for example, if he was taking 15 hours and is given a failing grade in 3, he's still have passed 12 hours.  We don't know Max's gpa, but it's probably good enough as a junior to survive a failing grade.  Keep in mind that I know nothing specific about this situation, but as someone mentioned previously it's possible that since Jubril allegedly admitted guilt he's being handled differently and is being held out as a precaution if he's ruled academically ineligible which could date back to the end of the previous semester.  Just some thoughts.

agibson

Quote from: sliman on January 11, 2017, 09:57:47 AMIt's also possible that the issue with Jubril could be the effect that failing a class (due to the alleged Honor Code violation) would have.  At one time there was a rule that you had to have passed 12 hours the previous semester to be eligible.  If, for example, Jubril was enrolled in 14 credits and is given a failing grade in a 3-hour course, he potentially would have passed only 11 hours.

Sometime, maybe, I'll come back to this thread and say a few things about the honor council.

I am curious, myself, about the NCAA eligibility rules. Glancing at them a a little
http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-i-progress-toward-degree-requirements
http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D115.pdf?division=d1

It looks like the requirements for the previous semester are reasonably soft - completing six credits. So, even if you were taking a minimal load, you might have to fail _most_ of your classes to have an impact. Basically, it seems like your cumulative standing is more important. And, once you're a junior or senior, if you have done relatively well, you can retain your eligibility despite a fairly bad semester. (Who knows, maybe there are Valpo Athletics or team rules that would be stricter than what I see from the NCAA.)

I guess the honor code could have some bearing on this - but I would have thought it would affect _Spring_ semester eligibility. Fall semester eligibility being determined, in part, by passing 6 credits the previous Spring. And, I believe the honor code has a statute of limitations that would prevent action on courses from last Spring - but I'm not immediately finding evidence of the statute of limitations. (The honor council has been revised somewhat in recent years, and revisions may still be underway; separately the university web sites have been undergoing some revision; between those two it seems like some helpful information like an Honor Council FAQ may have been lost.)

vu84v2

A situation of academic misconduct among student-athletes is not unprecedented. Consider the scandal at Harvard in 2012 when over 100 students were found guilty of cheating and two basketball players were among the large group of students that were caught. Harvard suspended both players (one of whom had been their leading scorer in the previous season) and they were forced to withdraw for a year. Both players came back after a year (note that Harvard won the Ivy League and an NCAA game without those two players). Valparaiso's policies regarding the honor code and athletes certainly will drive how this gets resolved, but I would argue that Valpo should (and does) aspire to be more like a Harvard than like a large state school.

VU2014

Paul and Parker touch on the Jubril suspension and the mystery surrounding it. Paul mentioned that nobody knows anything and they suspect that they are wait word for a decision which slightly leads me to believe the hunch of waiting on the Honor Council decision is true or maybe they are waiting on an NCAA ruling, but my gut says the honor council.

If he were to fail a class or two or maybe have cheat what are the penalties? He's missed 9 games already.

(19:00minutes in)
http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_a079bdde-d824-11e6-b720-3f8032a4143f.html

VULB#62

If there is a games suspended penalty for whatever happened, I sincerely hope that "time served" will be a SIGNIFICANT factor.  Jubril has sat for a bunch of games already and to have a suspension take effect going forward would be onerous and unfair.

usc4valpo

The honor council needs to get off their butts and protocol and move forward on this. The basketball is an important part of Valpo is perceived

sliman

I believe Honor Council only meets on days when class is in session, excluding final exam periods, so today may have been the first opportunity for a meeting. 
valpo.edu/honor-council/files/2016/10/HCConstitution2014.pdf

VU2624

Nobody knows what the issue is however we can offer an opinion as to who has to do what and when  ;D

In addition to Paul's speculation that the wait is for the NCAA no one has mentioned that he may be sticking with the team waiting for the Honor Council to render a decision and punishment which could be severe enough to remove him from the team at that point. So we may not be just awaiting the end of a suspension.

usc4valpo

VU2624

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 13, 2017, 11:20:33 AMany happenings on this?

We all know the answer. We're just not telling you.

NativeCheesehead

The first rule of the Honor Council is we do not talk about the Honor Council.

JPEven

At this point, I'm counting on long odds that Jubril plays again.  At this point, you sorta wonder how a guy would respond coming back.  We have such a short bench, and he's so talented/experienced that I am sure he would play, but the Smitsrolla combo has earned some time.  I'm sure he'd get minutes at the 5 but, if we can ever get a healthy lead in a game, I could see him being used to give Peters 4-10 minutes of rest at the 4.  Smits seems to leave his feet every time a player comes into the paint and then poop himself with surprise when he gets whistled, and sorolla, while able to stay out of foul trouble, isn't quite there to push around with some of the bigger post players. 

You done messed up, Jubril....

Some how, even with 7 and near 7 footers to replace him, we still seem to lose every freakin opening tip.  To guys 4-8 inches shorter than our 5s....  Freshmen gonna Freshmen. 

agibson

Quote from: JPEven on January 14, 2017, 05:31:53 PMSome how, even with 7 and near 7 footers to replace him, we still seem to lose every freakin opening tip.  To guys 4-8 inches shorter than our 5s.... 

I bet Tevonn's itching for a chance!

vu72

Think back to last year...I was always wondering why Vashil never won a tip!!  :crazy:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015