• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2017-18 VU Schedule

Started by justducky, March 07, 2017, 12:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Quote from: VU2014 on April 24, 2017, 09:17:04 PMhttps://twitter.com/Valpo_Hoops/status/856692587373232128 https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/856681538725048320

Yes, they are playing on the same court as the HL tourney will be on......another advantage???  Hey we will have 15 minute shoot around though, well maybe.
CRUSADERS!!!

VUOR63

Why not create Pioneer Classic with some games between Valpo, Drake, Butler and Dayton?  Coordinate so that they matchups are on the weekend of the football game.

bbtds

Quote from: VUOR63 on April 25, 2017, 03:10:36 PM
Why not create Pioneer Classic with some games between Valpo, Drake, Butler and Dayton?  Coordinate so that they matchups are on the weekend of the football game.

Gee, let's see who might object to this? I just can't put my finger on it. Hmmmmmmmmm.

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 25, 2017, 02:18:22 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on April 24, 2017, 09:17:04 PMhttps://twitter.com/Valpo_Hoops/status/856692587373232128 https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/856681538725048320

Yes, they are playing on the same court as the HL tourney will be on......another advantage???  Hey we will have 15 minute shoot around though, well maybe.

You'd think that the HL and LeCrone might see that they are telling their best school to leave immediately.

covufan

We should consider getting the United Center for a double header with Loyola, against Harvard, Yale, Princeton (pick two).  Or Wisconsin, Iowa, IU or Purdue (again, pick two). 

VULB#62

Quote from: covufan on April 25, 2017, 05:30:25 PM
We should consider getting the United Center for a double header with Loyola, against Harvard, Yale, Princeton (pick two).  Or Wisconsin, Iowa, IU or Purdue (again, pick two).

Butler, DePaul, Northwestern,  -- pick 2???

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 25, 2017, 05:33:08 PM

Butler, DePaul, Northwestern,  -- pick 2???
I was thinking more of schools that might have a Chicago Alumni presence that might not otherwise get to see their team.  DePaul and Northwestern already have opportunities for their alumni.  What does Tex say about that school in Indy - oh yeah, Buck Futler.

VU2014

Is it really economically feasible to rent out the United Center for one of those Tournaments?

The United Center has a capacity of 23,500 and is probably really expensive to book. I'm not sure the schools would break even on renting it for a Tourney.

Dave_2010

Safe to say that format wouldn't work for butt-headed reasons. What could be workable is a requirement that member schools play some minimum number of OOC games across all sports (including at least one MBB game). I'm sure our friends in Indianapolis (to a lesser extent Dayton and Davidson) would pitch a fit, but where else are they going to play football?

The HL did something similar with Belmont for a few years and it led to some interesting games. Who at the two schools wouldn't want to see Derrik Smits vs Marist before he graduates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zvillehaze

Quote from: Dave_2010 on April 25, 2017, 09:08:01 PM

Safe to say that format wouldn't work for butt-headed reasons. What could be workable is a requirement that member schools play some minimum number of OOC games across all sports (including at least one MBB game). I'm sure our friends in Indianapolis (to a lesser extent Dayton and Davidson) would pitch a fit, but where else are they going to play football?

The HL did something similar with Belmont for a few years and it led to some interesting games. Who at the two schools wouldn't want to see Derrik Smits vs Marist before he graduates?

The PFL is a football only conference totally independent of the Horizon ... not sure why they would be concerned (or have any influence over) who their football members play in other sports.  Totally different than when Belmont joined the HL for soccer (I believe that was the deal).

All the talk of scheduling basketball games against Butler should probably stop.  For obvious reasons, Butler basketball won't be playing Valpo or other Horizon League schools as long as the current administration is in place.

vu72

Quote from: zvillehaze on April 25, 2017, 10:24:32 PM
Quote from: Dave_2010 on April 25, 2017, 09:08:01 PM

The PFL is a football only conference totally independent of the Horizon ... not sure why they would be concerned (or have any influence over) who their football members play in other sports.  Totally different than when Belmont joined the HL for soccer (I believe that was the deal).

All the talk of scheduling basketball games against Butler should probably stop.  For obvious reasons, Butler basketball won't be playing Valpo or other Horizon League schools as long as the current administration is in place.

But, if we move to the Valley that might change!  Butler played a Valley team last year.  How'd that work out for them?   ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

The commuter schools in our league get the opportunity to play their big brother all the time.  Green Bay and UWM always get to play Wisconsin.  IPFW (not yet in the HL) got to host IU. 

CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Man it would be fun if we could get a home-and-home with VCU.

According to ESPN, Valpo was ranked 71 in RPI ranking in the 2016-2017 season. Would have been higher we didn't run into bad luck last season: losing AP to injury and Jubril suspension.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/teamId/2674

https://twitter.com/mid_madness/status/857334564922036224

valpospartan

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 26, 2017, 08:27:37 AM
The commuter schools in our league get the opportunity to play their big brother all the time.  Green Bay and UWM always get to play Wisconsin.  IPFW (not yet in the HL) got to host IU. 

As I recall, the IPFW-IU game was considered an IU home game.  I think that IU even got to determine the ticket prices.

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on April 26, 2017, 08:03:41 AM
But, if we move to the Valley that might change! 

I was referring to the Butler administration  I doubt Valpo moving to the MVC will change things much. No inside information, just my opinion.

How'd that work out for them?   ???

Butler went to their 9th NCAAT and 4th Sweet 16 in the last 11 years, so I guess it worked out OK.  Not bad, although I'm sure you'll attribute that to "one lucky recruit".  ;)

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: zvillehaze on April 26, 2017, 10:25:59 PM

I was referring to the Butler administration  I doubt Valpo moving to the MVC will change things much. No inside information, just my opinion.

Butler went to their 9th NCAAT and 4th Sweet 16 in the last 11 years, so I guess it worked out OK.  Not bad, although I'm sure you'll attribute that to "one lucky recruit".  ;)

I suppose it helps to not live in Indiana but why do you all hate Butler so much?

It's not like they are Notre Dame, which are rightfully despised.

VULB#62

Can we stop fixating on Bulter?  They did a fantastic job of getting where they are today. I have great respect for the results and the decisions by Butler to get there. Now, lets get beyond this and make our own legacy.

oklahomamick

my hate comes from them not playing us anymore
CRUSADERS!!!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 26, 2017, 10:56:14 PM
Can we stop fixating on Bulter?  They did a fantastic job of getting where they are today. I have great respect for the results and the decisions by Butler to get there. Now, lets get beyond this and make our own legacy.

Two thumbs way up!!

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 26, 2017, 11:17:07 PM
my hate comes from them not playing us anymore

My hate for Butler centers on their fans obnoxiousness AND them not playing us anymore. It could have been different.

valpotx

My hate for Butler has to do with having played against them in baseball, and their obnoxious/arrogant fan base ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: zvillehaze on April 26, 2017, 10:25:59 PM

WOW!!!  Sensitive??  I was just giving a little jab about the loss to Indiana State.  I guess I should hang out on your board and feel the Valpo love over there!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on April 27, 2017, 06:39:09 AM

WOW!!!  Sensitive??  I was just giving a little jab about the loss to Indiana State.  I guess I should hang out on your board and feel the Valpo love over there!

Not at all ... just sending a little jab back your way.  It's all good!  :thumbsup:

VU2014

Quote from: valpospartan on April 26, 2017, 09:54:11 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on April 26, 2017, 08:27:37 AM

As I recall, the IPFW-IU game was considered an IU home game.  I think that IU even got to determine the ticket prices.

It was a home considered a home game for IPFW, but I think they didn't play it at IPFWs place. I believe they moved it to a larger arena so it could accommodate more people (also Crean didn't want to play in another teams building, tougher environment.)

It was a 2 Home - 1 "away" for IU and the ONLY reason they did that was because James Blackmon Jr. was a Fort Wayne native and everyone overwhelmingly thought it was his last year at IU. He recently declared for the NBA but hasn't signed an agent yet so he can still pull out. He may be coming back since he did and IU didn't have the year they wanted. His draft stock took a hit this season.

covufan

Quote from: bsmith21 on April 27, 2017, 09:03:51 AMAlso I think Dane Fife had a lot to do with getting this scheduled before he left for Michigan state.
Are you saying that in the spring of 2011 IU and IPFW were scheduling a game for fall of 2016?  Talks maybe, but scheduling?