• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

So the NCAA's idea of significant changes are:

-Move the day you can start playing games up three days. Make it official as opposed to the official second Friday start date.
-A mandatory midseason break of three or four days, which is likely how 95%+ teams have scheduled each season for many years.

I bet that committee members are not compensated based on their contributions and improvements.

VU2014

Wow shots fired by Jeff Goodman. Literally just called out Western Kentucky and Rick Stansbury for literally paying players in recruitment.

It is a little suspicious and there is a lot of smoke surround Stansbury in the past... It's no secret some programs (Coaches) pay players.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/867428079085531136
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/867436783491051521
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/867437660255784964

VU2014

The NBA is thinking of killing the "one-and done" rule to enter the NBA draft.

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing for Mid-Major Basketball.

Pros:
-There will be less NBA players going to the Power Conference programs which means it will "level" the playing field a bit. Generally the schools with the most NBA players on the roster win the tournament (the best way to beat loaded NBA rosters like Kentucky is to have a heavy senior/junior rosters that have a lot of experience and our well coached, even still the Kentucky's of the win have an advantage.)

-The Kentucky's of the world will win less because Calipari will be forced to coach and not just trot out the most talented freshman every year.

Is this potentially a good or bad for thing for specifically Mid-Majors?

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/2/15728454/nba-draft-age-minimum-gleague-adam-silver

https://twitter.com/Aaron_Torres/status/870033526199992320

VU2014

Wow. Generally I hate seeing non P5 schools losing their coaches to P5 schools but part of me doesn't care about Butler. Chris Holtmann has refused schedule Valpo. Maybe the next guy will.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/873002559040081920

jloose128

It's all a business and you have to accept it, though I'm not shedding any tears for Butler if this happens. Would be interesting to see if Butler goes after LaVall Jordan...  ;D

VUGrad1314

Quote from: jloose128 on June 08, 2017, 11:22:17 PM
It's all a business and you have to accept it, though I'm not shedding any tears for Butler if this happens. Would be interesting to see if Butler goes after LaVall Jordan...  ;D

I think that's exactly who they're going to hire considering he's been on staff at Butler and supposedly narrowly lost out to Holtmann for the job  Coming from an HL school and being on the same staff I bet he'd be reluctant to schedule Valpo too but who knows?

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 08, 2017, 11:33:21 PM
Quote from: jloose128 on June 08, 2017, 11:22:17 PM

I think that's exactly who they're going to hire considering he's been on staff at Butler and supposedly narrowly lost out to Holtmann for the job  Coming from an HL school and being on the same staff I bet he'd be reluctant to schedule Valpo too but who knows?

That would suck for UWM if that happened.

They'd probably regret not hiring T. J. Otzelberger then... that whole situation was pretty screwed up. T. J. Otzelberger was pretty much promised the job and assured he'd get the UWM job but the President overruled the AD who promised the job to TJ and his family was in Milwaukee for the introduction press conference but then had the rug pulled out under him.

Just really poor optics for an already chaotic Athletics Department.

http://www.wtmj.com/sports/college/exclusive-uwm-had-milwaukee-native-tj-otzelberger-tabbed-but-hired-lavall-jackson

https://soundcloud.com/620-wtmj/greg-matzek-joins-charlie-sykes-on-uwm-hiring-process?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=wtshare&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_content=https%3A//soundcloud.com/620-wtmj/greg-matzek-joins-charlie-sykes-on-uwm-hiring-process

VU2014

But I doubt Lavall Jordan would be offered the job. He's not apart of the Brad Stevens coaching tree. He left Butler after Stevens got the job over him (been over 10 years now).

Butler would likely hire one of Holtmann's assistants or one of Steven's former assistants with ties to the program. Just a guess.

If Holtmann leaves I hope the next guy schedules a home and home with Valpo (probably still going to be a long-shot).

VUGrad1314

Could provide just the impetus UWM needs to finally oust their awful AD and clean house in a meaningful way. I really hope they can right the ship and become a good program again soon. The college basketball world is a better place with more quality mid-majors around.

VUGrad1314

I begin to wonder, with very little additional news breaking tonight, if this is all a leverage play by Holtmann to extract more money out of Butler; like McDermott probably did at Creighton by turning OSU down last night. Butler fans are flipping out about as bad as Creighton fans were when the McDermott rumors broke.

SanityLost17

Quote from: VU2014 on June 02, 2017, 11:13:56 AM
The NBA is thinking of killing the "one-and done" rule to enter the NBA draft.

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing for Mid-Major Basketball.

Pros:
-There will be less NBA players going to the Power Conference programs which means it will "level" the playing field a bit. Generally the schools with the most NBA players on the roster win the tournament (the best way to beat loaded NBA rosters like Kentucky is to have a heavy senior/junior rosters that have a lot of experience and our well coached, even still the Kentucky's of the win have an advantage.)

-The Kentucky's of the world will win less because Calipari will be forced to coach and not just trot out the most talented freshman every year.

Is this potentially a good or bad for thing for specifically Mid-Majors?

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/2/15728454/nba-draft-age-minimum-gleague-adam-silver

https://twitter.com/Aaron_Torres/status/870033526199992320

I think the one and done rule has been EXTREMELY GOOD for Valpo and other strong mid-majors.  Lets face it, our goal is not the final 4.  Our goal is to get to as many tournaments as possible occasionally make it to the round of 32 or the sweet 16.   

If you have 20 one and done players every year filling roster spots at high major universities, not to mention 20 more 2 and done players that leave after their sophomore years.  That allows some very talented athletes to filter down into the mid-major ranks who are more than likely going to be 4 year players. 

I firmly believe there are a lot of high major talents at mid-major schools because the roster spots are being filled with 1 and done and 2 and done players at the high major level.   

VU2014

Wow.

I thought Ohio State was going to have to really pony up to get him but it sounds like they aren't.

https://twitter.com/THicksBH/status/873186185644048384

valpo64

Not quite sure that was a good move for OSU...I guess time will tell but just a gut feeling.

Dave_2010

As a casual Ohio State supporter and ardent Butler detractor, I find this especially amusing.

The big question now is "does Butler have any 2018 commits we might be able to poach during the July contact period?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU2014

Looks like they don't have any commits for the 2018 class yet.

Just taking a look at verbal commits and will have 4 freshman and 6 incoming freshman.

StlVUFan

Quote from: VU2014 on June 08, 2017, 10:50:09 PM
Wow. Generally I hate seeing non P5 schools losing their coaches to P5 schools but part of me doesn't care about Butler. Chris Holtmann has refused schedule Valpo. Maybe the next guy will.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/873002559040081920
Different perspective, for what it's worth: I count the Big East as a power conference, so it doesn't even register as poaching on my radar screen.

vu84v2

As I interpret this, I like this overall - but do not like the rotation of conferences who get their regular season champ into a play-in game. Instead, I would just have the selection committee choose the best 4 regular season champs that did not already get into the NCAA tournament and have them in the play-in games. You would have six play-in games on Tuesday and Wednesday.

2 games with the lowest seeded overall teams. Winners become 16 seeds.
4 games comprised of the four best regular season champs not already in the tournament and the bottom four at-large teams. Winners seeded into appropriate slots (which typically have been #11 or #12). You could also just have them become all of the #12 (or even #13) seeds.

IrishDawg

Quote from: vu84v2 on July 20, 2017, 11:31:31 AM
As I interpret this, I like this overall - but do not like the rotation of conferences who get their regular season champ into a play-in game. Instead, I would just have the selection committee choose the best 4 regular season champs that did not already get into the NCAA tournament and have them in the play-in games. You would have six play-in games on Tuesday and Wednesday.

2 games with the lowest seeded overall teams. Winners become 16 seeds.
4 games comprised of the four best regular season champs not already in the tournament and the bottom four at-large teams. Winners seeded into appropriate slots (which typically have been #11 or #12). You could also just have them become all of the #12 (or even #13) seeds.

I don't think expansion is needed for the exclusion of a single team from the tournament that builds a decent at-large resume in the current system, regardless if that team is a mid-major or major conference team.  What is needed is an overhaul of the selection process which takes it out of the hands of people and puts it into either one or a composite of analytical rankings which basically eliminate any scheduling bias that leans more toward major conferences than mid-majors (e.g. KenPom).  By doing this, teams could also know exactly where they stand for a much larger part of the season, and once all the auto-bids were decided, there wouldn't be any drama at all for who was in or out.  You'd simply look at the rankings, and if you weren't one of the auto-bids, if you were high enough, you'd be in, and if you weren't, you'd be out.  Could also be used for the seed lines as well.

For example, Wichita State would have been a 2 or 3 seed last year using KenPom even though they only had 2 top 50 RPI wins (both against Illinois State) rather than a 10 seed.  Saint Mary's would have been a 4 seed rather than a 7 seed.  These systems actually analyze the team over the entirety of the regular season rather than columns of good wins and bad losses, so on average, you are going to get the best teams in the tournament.  Teams who are hot won't get overseeded, and teams that had a bad week or two during the season won't get left out if they perform well enough during the rest of the year.  It'll never go solely to that process because people, power and TV ratings, but it would be incredibly simple, mid-major teams wouldn't get screwed for not being able to schedule big-name opponents, and it would give teams the ability to actually gauge where they were during the season rather than hoping and praying that these people in a room pick them.

FieldGoodie05

Might we expect a delay in releasing our 2017/18 schedule with the conference change? 

Last year was quite late I felt?  When do we generally see our official schedule released in normal years?  I realize we aren't in the midst of two years with major distractions (new coach and new conference).

talksalot

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on July 20, 2017, 05:39:04 PMLast year was quite late I felt?  When do we generally see our official schedule released in normal years?  I realize we aren't in the midst of two years with major distractions (new coach and new conference).

"After Labor Day" would be a good guess... based on prior releases.    Here are the dates of the press release announcing the schedule on the Archives part of the website.   (fun seeing some of the other releases surrounding these)

September 7, 2016
September 23, 2015
September 11, 2014
September 10, 2013
August 24, 2012
September 6, 2011
August 18, 2010
August 19, 2009
September 1, 2008

M

He also lost Isaiah Brock who is stepping away from sports to focus on academics. He was fun to watch.

VULB#62

Sepsis is a killer. Make no mistake about that. I lost my mother in law to that. She had an abdominal blockage but put off going to the clinic for two days. She died the next day on her kitchen floor. Glad Coach Kampe made the right choices.

oklahomamick

Brocks is not playing next year?  He had so much potential.  Is he still going to Oakland university.  Can't imagine a talent like that on campus not playing.
CRUSADERS!!!