• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by valpo4life, March 24, 2017, 11:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: IndyValpo on May 12, 2017, 07:55:05 PMSeth Colclasure, Brandon McPherson, Jake Diebler
Agree that all had modest freshman seasons. Buggs was another freshman project player. He showed flashes of talent on a terrible team but might have finished that year hobbled by injury? I know he red-shirted the next year but my memory of the details is vague. Anyway the freshman Erik was just hideous at free throws and 3 point shooting but step by step, inch by inch he got to be a senior and hadn't improved a lick in either category.  :o  How come my memories of this guy are so positive?  :thumbsup:

nkvu

Quote from: justducky on May 12, 2017, 09:29:05 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on May 12, 2017, 07:55:05 PMSeth Colclasure, Brandon McPherson, Jake Diebler
Agree that all had modest freshman seasons. Buggs was another freshman project player. He showed flashes of talent on a terrible team but might have finished that year hobbled by injury? I know he red-shirted the next year but my memory of the details is vague. Anyway the freshman Erik was just hideous at free throws and 3 point shooting but step by step, inch by inch he got to be a senior and hadn't improved a lick in either category.  :o  How come my memories of this guy are so positive?  :thumbsup:

Maybe the tip dunk (after the whistle unfortunately) at Duke on National TV?

valpotx

Buggs could take anyone off the dribble.  However, teams could just pack the lane when he had the ball, which made it impossible for others to get their shot inside.
"Don't mess with Texas"

underdawg

One of those teams in the the MVC will be UNI--they play a sagging man to man, pack the lane and dare you to shoot the 15' jumper--if you can't, you're in trouble

VU2014

A local kid is transferring from IU. Grant Glenon from Crown Point? Looks like he was a freshman last year. He's a shooting guard and a shooter. We don't have any open scholarships for next season. Seems like lots IU fans are happy he's transferring.

He had offers from: IU, Western Michigan, UIC, IUPUI, YSU, Western Carolina, Iona, Toledo

Stats: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066364/grant-gelon

SEASON   TEAM   MIN   FGM-FGA   FG%   3PM-3PA   3P%   FTM-FTA   FT%   REB   AST   BLK   STL   PF   TO   PTS
2016-17   IND        3.2   0.6-0.8   .778   0.3-0.4   .600   0.4-0.7   .625   0.4   0.0   0.0   0.1      0.5      0.1      1.8

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/grant-gelon

https://twitter.com/ZachOsterman/status/867371921503121408

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2017/5/24/15684428/reports-grant-gelon-granted-release-from-indiana-will-evaluate-transfer
"freshman Grant Gelon has requested his release from the Indiana basketball program and plans to evaluate transfer opportunities. The 6-5 freshman was something of an off-the-radar pickup for the Indiana program, a player Tom Crean had become somewhat randomly enamored with due to his outside shooting ability. Still, the Crown Point native was seldom used in his initial season in Bloomington: he logged just 38 minutes on the floor, mostly in mop-up time during the 2016-17 season. Made three of his five three point attempts, though!

While a transfer has not been finalized and Indiana has not formally commented, this wouldn't seem to be a case of the much-accused "Spring Creaning" tactic of roster reduction and overrecruiting of which Tom Crean was often accused."

oklahomamick

I don't think valpo is an option.  We don't have any scholarships left?
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on May 24, 2017, 10:50:05 AM
I don't think valpo is an option.  We don't have any scholarships left?

Yeah I don't see him coming Valpo unless he wants to walk-on or sit out a year. Both are probably unlikely.

M

He has to sit a year anyway.  He'd just have to spend his own money while doing it if he wanted to come to Valpo, which doesn't seem likely.

wh

Quote from: M on May 24, 2017, 11:17:13 AM
He has to sit a year anyway.  He'd just have to spend his own money while doing it if he wanted to come to Valpo, which doesn't seem likely.

I paid for 3 children to attend private universities (total of 12 student-years). Had 1 of 3 required financial support for only 1 year in order to find a better fit, and the end result would be 5 years of education at a Tier-1 school, a bachelor's degree and possibly an MBA, I wouldn't have blinked twice before agreeing to it. I'm quite sure that there are many people out there that would do the same.

M

I meant not likely he will come play at Valpo regardless if there were scholarships available or not.

VU75

Mark Alstork going to Illinois.

bigmosmithfan1

What is this now, Alstork's third school?

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on May 25, 2017, 10:08:48 AM
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/867759164751261696

Is this also a sign that we don't plan to schedule any Horizon League teams in the near future? Or am I reading too much into it?

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on May 26, 2017, 06:00:52 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on May 25, 2017, 10:08:48 AM
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/867759164751261696

Is this also a sign that we don't plan to schedule any Horizon League teams in the near future? Or am I reading too much into it?

If the "near future" is just next season, I would say yes.

Pgmado

If I were a betting man, I'd say Lexus lands in the Horizon League.

VU2014

Quote from: Pgmado on May 26, 2017, 09:29:11 PM
If I were a betting man, I'd say Lexus lands in the Horizon League.

Interesting.

Cleveland State is in need of a PG. Wright State just lost Alstork, maybe there?

It would just kind of suck to see him wearing an Oakland jersey. I don't see OU as positional fit though.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on May 26, 2017, 11:31:12 PMIt would just kind of suck to see him wearing an Oakland jersey. I don't see OU as positional fit though.

The fit is way off. Lexus hasn't committed any crimes.

VU2014

VUGrad1314

Lexus would be a very nice get for the Golden Grizzlies and make them an even tougher team this year. Frankly I'm surprised he's still available with all the visits he's taken. You would think some program would have signed him already. Part of me was always rooting for him to come back but I know that won't happen now as Valpo has no scholarships available.

valpotx

That Oakland comment is just too much.  You win the day, bbtds ;D
"Don't mess with Texas"

Grizz

Maybe we want him to help us learn how to commit academic fraud or possibly he can teach Kampe how to have a player arrested spend a night in jail and not have to miss any games.