• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2017-18

Started by VU2014, April 07, 2017, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

14, you state exactly what I was trying to communicate --- a blend of really great and motivational songs from the 80s, 90s (And even the 70s if it works) with music of the 2000s. But , man, does it have be 100% hip hop?

And my comment about the pep band refers to the opportunity to upgrade and expand the band to be an even more attractive aspect of the home game experience. It would be great to have a polished 25 piece band led by a music department conductor.

I was at both the away UWM and the UWGB games and those bands were bigger, louder and led by professionals. Their songs were better and they really added to the experience even for a Valpo fan.

Quote from: VU2014 on April 18, 2017, 09:56:32 PM
I'm totally cool with have the classics played but I think there is a lot of room to add younger generations music. Just need to find a better blend and mix of new and old schools music. I think the older crowd would be fine with some newer music as long as it was tasteful and upbeat (which is definitely doable).

The real thing I would like the ARC staff/Athletic Department to address is the Family Express commercials. There has to be a way not make people go deaf during those commercials/ads over the speakers. Completely kills the vibe and takes away from the Pep Band (which has had its own issues the last year or 2.)

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 18, 2017, 07:42:53 PM
Oh, and then you have the aenemic pep band that plays many songs that have no pep ( again, it is not the fault of those dedicated kids)    ....      It is my understanding that at one point the athletic department funded the pep band but in a coup the music department took over the band (and the athletic paid-for instruments).  What is left is what we've got (without support of the music department).  To put this into perspective Valpo used to have a pretty good (and big) marching band.  Oh, and from what I have read, we don't even have a good sound system.

I believe someone mentioned before that they were a Music Student when they were on campus and they mentioned that the Music Students looked down on the Pep Band or thought they were above the Pep Band. Some what understandable I guess since those students really take their craft seriously and have high standards.

One "solution" could be that Music students are required to take a "1-credit" course (maybe instead of PE (which is a required course for freshman)) to play in the Pep Band for all home games. That would REALLY give a boost to the pep bands talent level. I'm sure many students would rather take the 1-credit of Pep Band then have to do a PE course (which was utterly ridiculous back when I did it).

Also just for a frame of reference for this the song Paul was referring to in the tweet if you want to give it a listen:
-Not exactly my go to music but has a good beat and is clean. Pretty much what expect to be played at Basketball game during time outs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYh-n7EOtMA

M

Forget the dj altogether and gimme more pep band and new songs from them!

a3uge

UWM pays their members - something which Valpo should do. Even at $10-20 a game, it wouldn't be too insane to budget for 50 or so members.

But it should be only under the stipulation that the pep band burns the sheet music to Time Warp.

VULB#62

Quote from: a3uge on April 18, 2017, 10:29:52 PM
UWM pays their members - something which Valpo should do. Even at $10-20 a game, it wouldn't be too insane to budget for 50 or so members.

But it should be only under the stipulation that the pep band burns the sheet music to Time Warp.

That

VU2014

Quote from: a3uge on April 18, 2017, 10:29:52 PM

Not a bad idea but may be too "Pricy" for Valpo. Knowing how the University and the Athletics Department operate (or thinks) they would be greatly opposed to paying $9,000-$18,000 a season for 18 home games a year (roughly 50 member band). Just not in the University's nature.

Personally I think the "1-credit" idea for Pep Band would work like a charm. Or even allow it as an elective class. I believe then the talent level would be boosted and some student would even continue wanting to be in the Pep Band because its more of a fun activity going to basketball games and performing. Would also be the most cost effective way of fixing the Pep Band.

Not sure how much of a priority fixing the Pep Band is for the Athletics Department right now. Probably definitely not on the mind of ML/AL.

VU2014

Oh, and then you have the aenemic pep band that plays many songs that have no pep ( again, it is not the fault of those dedicated kids)    ....      It is my understanding that at one point the athletic department funded the pep band but in a coup the music department took over the band (and the athletic paid-for instruments).  What is left is what we've got (without support of the music department).  To put this into perspective Valpo used to have a pretty good (and big) marching band.  Oh, and from what I have read, we don't even have a good sound system.

Just curious when did the March Band disband at Valpo?

There was no Marching Band when I went to school. I feel like a Marching Band would be great for Football games and could be apart of the Pep Band in the football offseason. I know many large state schools offer scholarships for Marching Band these days. Probably unlikely to happen at a smaller school like Valpo. Would be great if we could somehow get the Marching Band back together without necessarily having offer scholarships. Could be a recruiting tool for the University to offer the Marching Band as a club or extracurricular activity to High School Students who want to participate in the Marching Band in College.

QuoteIt is my understanding that at one point the athletic department funded the pep band but in a coup the music department took over the band (and the athletic paid-for instruments).  What is left is what we've got (without support of the music department).

How did the Music Faculty manage that coup? Its pretty disappointing with the lack of support/guidance the Music Faculty gives to the Pep Band. I don't believe they were involved with the band at all.

I know the Faculty is pretty involved with the Jazz Band at school which is pretty darn good. I had a few friends who played in the jazz band. It was a mix of volunteers (non-music students) and Music Students. They were a pretty dedicated group that practiced pretty often and had a faculty member conducting them. Would be cool to see them play at half-time or something sometime. They use to play at Duffy's for free food all the time.

talksalot

Need more cowbell.      Sorry, just couldn't resist

valpo95

Quote from: valpo95 on January 28, 2013, 08:42:27 PM
I think I was in the band the last time they had a paid director (not a student), and we had both regular rehearsal times and a budget for both new music and equipment.  That budget for equipment came from the Athletic department.  Unfortunately, the music department tried their best to kill the band entirely, doing things like scheduling rehearsals of major ensembles on top of the times alloted to Crusader Band.   Further, once it became student-led, the music department swooped in and took some of the equipment, including the drum set, cymbals, keyboard and one of the amps.  Granted, the drum set available to the jazz band wasn't as good as the one paid for by the athletic department, but that didn't give a certain director rights to do with it as he saw fit.  It was easy when there was no one to say No.

The last time there was a University-sanctioned Crusader Marching Band was the Fall of 1990, and I was a freshman in the band then. The same director who had the marching band in the fall also was the director of Crusader Band in the spring. The director was Luther Estridge (sp?) - I think he was a HS band director or instructor from the area was listed as an adjunct instructor at VU. Both Marching Band and Crusader band were officially 0.5 credit courses where you had to get approval from the Music Department to register, though that was cut in the spring of 1991. Crusader Band has had student directors since then.

VU2014

Quote from: valpo95 on April 19, 2017, 08:46:22 AM
Quote from: valpo95 on January 28, 2013, 08:42:27 PM
I think I was in the band the last time they had a paid director (not a student), and we had both regular rehearsal times and a budget for both new music and equipment.  That budget for equipment came from the Athletic department.  Unfortunately, the music department tried their best to kill the band entirely, doing things like scheduling rehearsals of major ensembles on top of the times alloted to Crusader Band.   Further, once it became student-led, the music department swooped in and took some of the equipment, including the drum set, cymbals, keyboard and one of the amps.  Granted, the drum set available to the jazz band wasn't as good as the one paid for by the athletic department, but that didn't give a certain director rights to do with it as he saw fit.  It was easy when there was no one to say No.

The last time there was a University-sanctioned Crusader Marching Band was the Fall of 1990, and I was a freshman in the band then. The same director who had the marching band in the fall also was the director of Crusader Band in the spring. The director was Luther Estridge (sp?) - I think he was a HS band director or instructor from the area was listed as an adjunct instructor at VU. Both Marching Band and Crusader band were officially 0.5 credit courses where you had to get approval from the Music Department to register, though that was cut in the spring of 1991. Crusader Band has had student directors since then.

Thank you for sharing Valpo95.

Wow some in the Music Department seem like A-holes for stealing equipment from the Crusader Band.

Still why would some in the Music Department try and kill the Crusader Band like that? They thought it was below those students to be participating or spending time in the Pep Band or something? Makes no sense why they'd want to do that (At least from an outsiders point of view). Why would they do something like that?

a3uge

Quote from: VU2014 on April 18, 2017, 11:53:24 PM

Just curious when did the March Band disband at Valpo?

There was no Marching Band when I went to school. I feel like a Marching Band would be great for Football games and could be apart of the Pep Band in the football offseason. I know many large state schools offer scholarships for Marching Band these days. Probably unlikely to happen at a smaller school like Valpo. Would be great if we could somehow get the Marching Band back together without necessarily having offer scholarships. Could be a recruiting tool for the University to offer the Marching Band as a club or extracurricular activity to High School Students who want to participate in the Marching Band in College.

QuoteIt is my understanding that at one point the athletic department funded the pep band but in a coup the music department took over the band (and the athletic paid-for instruments).  What is left is what we've got (without support of the music department).

How did the Music Faculty manage that coup? Its pretty disappointing with the lack of support/guidance the Music Faculty gives to the Pep Band. I don't believe they were involved with the band at all.

I know the Faculty is pretty involved with the Jazz Band at school which is pretty darn good. I had a few friends who played in the jazz band. It was a mix of volunteers (non-music students) and Music Students. They were a pretty dedicated group that practiced pretty often and had a faculty member conducting them. Would be cool to see them play at half-time or something sometime. They use to play at Duffy's for free food all the time.

Jazz Band is an actual class - it offers a credit and is run through the music department. It meets on a schedule - twice a week for an hour and a half each practice. I was in Jazz Band for 3 years. I was not a music Major, but would not consider myself a volunteer - we all did it for fun. Only a few students were music majors. We did play Duffy's once a month - yes, with free food. There were a few other gigs each semester as well.

VU2014

Sorry Volunteer was poor word choice. I was always a huge fan of the Jazz Band. I had a class with Professor Brown who faculty member in charge.

Really think offering a Pep Band for a credit or 0.5 credit would fix the Pep Band. Would receive professional instruction again and probably would have access to better equipment.

Not sure the AD or anyone really cares enough to make an effort to fix or help out the Pep Band.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on April 19, 2017, 12:48:39 PMNot sure the AD or anyone really cares enough to make an effort to fix or help out the Pep Band.

Yes, I think piped in music is the way many see in the future of music at college sporting events. It's much less cost in the end.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on April 19, 2017, 12:48:39 PM
Sorry Volunteer was poor word choice. I was always a huge fan of the Jazz Band. I had a class with Professor Brown who faculty member in charge.

Really think offering a Pep Band for a credit or 0.5 credit would fix the Pep Band. Would receive professional instruction again and probably would have access to better equipment.

Not sure the AD or anyone really cares enough to make an effort to fix or help out the Pep Band.

Why so stingy?  Why not 1 credit hour/semester. Add some contingencies like 1 instructor-run practice session/week and a minimum attendance threshold to determine pass/fail.  I can picture a bigger, highly polished band playing a much larger variety of songs as a result.

valporun

They could make it a full year, with football, volleyball, and men's/women's basketball, throw in some baseball/softball weekends in the spring. The struggle would be finding a full-time professor that would be dedicated to the time involved, especially if he/she is a local high school band director, or an adjunct professor that only gives lessons at VU during the week. Also, tough if the person is younger with young kids involved in music or sports as well. I know VU had someone who used to work as a band director at a couple of Porter County Conference schools, before he left for Las Vegas. He enjoyed it, but it took time away from his family, with kind of schedule, so it went back to being student-led, and I'm not sure the students leading are doing enough to present pep band as something fun to do outside of class time.

Yes, it is due time for an upgrade in the music options, but that would also require more rehearsal time, which is hard to come by with no dedicated practice space for the pep band to meet for a couple of hours a week to rehearse, when the volleyball schedule takes some weeknights out, and getting enough people to volunteer to be the audition judges for the right sounds for the band. Just don't see athletics or music departments taking charge to set this up, when it's run as a student-led organization for too long.

M

It was asked in the MVC thread who might start next year.  This seems like a better place for that conversation then over there.  Here are my guesses, although I'm a big believer in asking who finishes games. 

Starters
PG - Bakari Evelyn
SG - Tevonn Walker
SF - Joe Burton
PF - Parker Hazen/Mileek McMillian
C - Jaume Sorolla

Pgmado

I think Golder has a better chance of starting than McMillian.

M

Agreed...I forgot about Golder.  :o

VU2014

Quote from: M on April 24, 2017, 08:44:19 AM
It was asked in the MVC thread who might start next year.  This seems like a better place for that conversation then over there.  Here are my guesses, although I'm a big believer in asking who finishes games. 

Starters
PG - Bakari Evelyn
SG - Tevonn Walker
SF - Joe Burton
C - Jaume Sorolla

I agree with Paul, Markus is going to get some big minutes. I think we will be playing a little more small ball this year.

Starters:

PG - Bakari Evelyn (we are expecting big things from Bakari)

SG - Tevonn Walker

SF - Joe Burton (just like Bakari we are expecting big things from Joe)

SF/PF - Hazen/McMillan or maybe Kiser against certain lineups ((may start Hazen/McMillan but be quick to pull them depending on if they are holding their own) (doesn't mean he's the best player but he can act as a "PF" against smaller lineups because our PFs are very young. Kiser plays solid D and has shown he can do the dirty work. Someone is going to crush me for suggesting putting Kiser in the Starting Lineup but just because he's a "starter" doesn't mean he's a going to average 20 minutes.)

C - Jaume Sorolla

McMillan from what I've heard is a little bit more of a project (high ceiling and could be a versatile player (can hit 3s)). It will be interesting to see the lineup combinations Coach Lottich will be able to play with.
We'll probably have more depth then last years team at the end of the season (we better and should). Just because someone cracks the starting lineup doesn't mean they'll get the most minutes. Ex: Smits started a lot of games at Center but Jay ended up grabbing more minutes (maybe because of foul trouble/defense by Smits).

Bench Mob Squad:
(a potential pretty Athletic squad)

PG - Micah Bradford/Max Joseph (We're hoping Micah can take that next step but Max is an option at PG if Micah is having a rough night & Bakari needs rest)

SG - ?* / Tevonn Walker (Tevonn will be a starter but I'd like to put him with this group to help guide the offense but if he isn't playing then slide Markus to the 2 and play Parker or Kiser at the 3 and have Mileek play the 4)

SF - Markus Golder (He's going to get big minutes I'm guessing)

PF - Parker Hazen/Mileek McMillan (Who ever can defend and hold their own will get the most minutes among the Freshman PF)

C - Derrik Smits (its going to be a big offseason for Derrik to work on his defense/rebounding and develop some strength in the weight room)

*I think the coaching staff may bring in a grad transfer SG that can be solid depth who can defend and be relied upon as depth on the bench

**If the Coaches can't find the right fit for a grad transfer or a stud RS Transfer then hold onto the scholarship and wait for the best Mid-season Transfer (ex: Tom Wilson last year. Went to Boise St because they had a scholarship to offer him and we didn't) or just role the scholarship into next year and make sure you go after a high ceiling player. I don't think the coaches want to use that scholarship on anyone who has more then year of eligibility left. Specifically they likely won't tied to someone who plays the 2 for more then 2 years of eligibility because the coaching staff is recruiting (SG) Deavion Washington (Class of 2018/Terre Haute, IN) and (SG) Walter Ellis (Class of 2018/South Bend, IN). Those guys are priorities and want playing available for them and not have that hurt them in his recruitment.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on April 24, 2017, 09:23:42 AM
Quote from: M on April 24, 2017, 08:44:19 AM

Starters
PG - Bakari Evelyn
SG - Tevonn Walker
SF - Joe Burton
C - Jaume Sorolla

I agree with Paul, Markus is going to get some big minutes. I think we will be playing a little more small ball this year.

Starters:

PG - Bakari Evelyn (we are expecting big things from Bakari)

SG - Tevonn Walker

SF - Joe Burton (just like Bakari we are expecting big things from Joe)

SF/PF - Hazen/McMillan or maybe Kiser against certain lineups ((may start Hazen/McMillan but be quick to pull them depending on if they are holding their own) (doesn't mean he's the best player but he can act as a "PF" against smaller lineups because our PFs are very young. Kiser plays solid D and has shown he can do the dirty work. Someone is going to crush me for suggesting putting Kiser in the Starting Lineup but just because he's a "starter" doesn't mean he's a going to average 20 minutes.)

C - Jaume Sorolla

McMillan from what I've heard is a little bit more of a project (high ceiling and could be a versatile player (can hit 3s)). It will be interesting to see the lineup combinations Coach Lottich will be able to play with.
We'll probably have more depth then last years team at the end of the season (we better and should). Just because someone cracks the starting lineup doesn't mean they'll get the most minutes. Ex: Smits started a lot of games at Center but Jay ended up grabbing more minutes (maybe because of foul trouble/defense by Smits).

Bench Mob Squad:
(a potential pretty Athletic squad)

PG - Micah Bradford/Max Joseph (We're hoping Micah can take that next step but Max is an option at PG if Micah is having a rough night & Bakari needs rest)

SG - ?* / Tevonn Walker (Tevonn will be a starter but I'd like to put him with this group to help guide the offense but if he isn't playing then slide Markus to the 2 and play Parker or Kiser at the 3 and have Mileek play the 4)

SF - Markus Golder (He's going to get big minutes I'm guessing)

PF - Parker Hazen/Mileek McMillan (Who ever can defend and hold their own will get the most minutes among the Freshman PF)

C - Derrik Smits (its going to be a big offseason for Derrik to work on his defense/rebounding and develop some strength in the weight room)

*I think the coaching staff may bring in a grad transfer SG that can be solid depth who can defend and be relied upon as depth on the bench

**If the Coaches can't find the right fit for a grad transfer or a stud RS Transfer then hold onto the scholarship and wait for the best Mid-season Transfer (ex: Tom Wilson last year. Went to Boise St because they had a scholarship to offer him and we didn't) or just role the scholarship into next year and make sure you go after a high ceiling player. I don't think the coaches want to use that scholarship on anyone who has more then year of eligibility left. Specifically they likely won't tied to someone who plays the 2 for more then 2 years of eligibility because the coaching staff is recruiting (SG) Deavion Washington (Class of 2018/Terre Haute, IN) and (SG) Walter Ellis (Class of 2018/South Bend, IN). Those guys are priorities and want playing available for them and not have that hurt them in his recruitment.

Grad transfer decide to leave for playing time, next to no chance we get a SG grad transfer ok with bench play....right?  I'd think JUCO or traditional freshmen for immediate playing time.

Don't think we need too much at SG since Max, Bakari, Tevonn, Golder and even Burton have the speed and skill sets to log minutes there.

But I could be wrong since Coach went after Shaq as a grad transfer.

I think we are weakest at the PF position for depth.

VU2014

I would only be ok with someone who will only have 1 year eligibility left.

It's way too late in the recruiting process to land a high level freshman, unless by some miracle a kid like Sasha Stefanovic gets pushed out of Purdue because they don't have enough scholarships (highly unlikely) and he lands at Valpo. It's extremely unlikely we will be signing anymore Freshman in this class.

I wouldn't want a JUCO kid that doesn't have more then one year of eligibility unless they are the perfect fit and an impact guy. You don't want to get tied down to low ceiling kid with more then a year of eligibility left.

Shaq Calhoun was attractive to Valpo because he looked like a reliable/solid (SG) who would only have one year eligibility left.

Agreed we are weakest at PF next season based on the youth and inexperience of freshman. I wouldn't mind a PF grad transfer.

A few possible PF Grad Transfers:

-Jeremy Combs (North Texas) http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3132447/jeremy-combs

-Mark Donnal (Michigan) - We've talked about him. Bryce is recruiting him to Vandy.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3132447/jeremy-combs

-Ahmed Hamdy-Mohamed (VCU) He just took a visit toe San Diego State
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66115/ahmed-hamdy-mohamed
https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/852547315160285184

crusader05

I'm hoping that if we get a one and done player we get someone who can score, maybe a 3 point threat.

If it's not one or done then I would still like to see a shooter and maybe some size.

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on April 24, 2017, 11:07:11 AMA few possible PF Grad Transfers:

-Jeremy Combs (North Texas) http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3132447/jeremy-combs

-Mark Donnal (Michigan) - We've talked about him. Bryce is recruiting him to Vandy.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66115/ahmed-hamdy-mohamed
I don't see Donnal wanting to move to an at-large long shot and thats what we are (best case) in 17-18. The other two could improve the team but neither has any 3 point shot. As my focus is now on an 18-19 at-large contender (hopefully) maybe we should be thinking about a Ritchie Edwards type player with 3 point skills and 1 year of eligibility. Maybe we just scrap the power forward idea entirely and go with a small ball deadeye 4.

I don't know. We could still develop into a very solid and dangerous team by March but our one remaining scholarship choice is not going to turn us into a 17-18 world beater. Too many known and unknown holes to fill.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: justducky on April 24, 2017, 11:01:29 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on April 24, 2017, 11:07:11 AMA few possible PF Grad Transfers:

I don't see Donnal wanting to move to an at-large long shot and thats what we are (best case) in 17-18. The other two could improve the team but neither has any 3 point shot. As my focus is now on an 18-19 at-large contender (hopefully) maybe we should be thinking about a Ritchie Edwards type player with 3 point skills and 1 year of eligibility. Maybe we just scrap the power forward idea entirely and go with a small ball deadeye 4.

I don't know. We could still develop into a very solid and dangerous team by March but our one remaining scholarship choice is not going to turn us into a 17-18 world beater. Too many known and unknown holes to fill.

Will any grad transfer come to a school in transition and possibly moving conferences?

Playing time + post season appearance have to be high on all of their goals.  We don't exactly have those in spades on this years team.

I suppose the lack of a go to scorer (Tevonn is close) could be attractive though.

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 25, 2017, 08:33:34 AM

Will any grad transfer come to a school in transition and possibly moving conferences?

Playing time + post season appearance have to be high on all of their goals.  We don't exactly have those in spades on this years team.

I suppose the lack of a go to scorer (Tevonn is close) could be attractive though.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the scorer options...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on April 25, 2017, 08:36:37 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 25, 2017, 08:33:34 AM

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the scorer options...

I think a lot of people are really underestimating next years team.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show