• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Per Mark Adams: Valpo likely to replace Wichita St as 10th (only new) MVC member

Started by VU2014, May 02, 2017, 10:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

If we're the only add I wonder if MSU turned them down or they're staying at 10 for now. Smart move if it's MVC to not handcuff yourself. Leaves a lot of room to add over next few years.

VULB#62

I kind of hope that they don't stay at 10 per this rumor.  That puts Valpo in the unenviable position of being WSU's sole replacement, and I think we'll all agree that this is no where near a 1 for 1 swap so the pressure on Valpo will be extraordinary.  But I actually got comfortable with adding 2 to replace 1.  Even 3. I hope Adams is wrong.

vu72

It would balance the public/private thing at 5 each. Kinda like the idea of also adding Murray but their football situation may be the deal breaker.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusaderjoe

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on May 02, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
If we're the only add I wonder if MSU turned them down or they're staying at 10 for now. Smart move if it's MVC to not handcuff yourself. Leaves a lot of room to add over next few years.

Why would Murray be so public about conference exploration just to decline? 

I'm going to speculate and try to read between the lines:

If going to 11 is causing resistance, there is no way that the MVC will move to 12 this year.  UWM and Omaha are out for next year.
The MVC may move to 11, but not this year.
The MVC may move to 12, but not this year.
Murray's football may be in issue since their OVC football schedule is set.
The MVFC's non MVC members are cold or luke warm on an MSU football add.
The situation remains fluid, which means that 11 (Valpo and Murray to the MVC next year) is still a possibility.

I kind of hope this guy is wrong too.

VU2014

Just my gut, that if the MVC settles with only 10 this season, they will eventually ass 1-2 schools within the next couple years.

Dave_2010

Assuming this is true:

Does this put Murray on the backburner for when Missouri State makes the move to FBS (Sun Belt/MAC/C-USA)?

Adding one to maintain the status quo makes me nervous because it indicates that the Valley is reactive instead of proactive when it comes to realignment, much like the HL has been dealing with life post-Butler. Whether we agreed with the schools chosen, the proactive/aggressive stance demonstrated by a move to 11 or 12 would make me more comfortable about the league's long term outlook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 02, 2017, 11:39:34 AMI kind of hope that they don't stay at 10 per this rumor.  That puts Valpo in the unenviable position of being WSU's sole replacement, and I think we'll all agree that this is no where near a 1 for 1 swap so the pressure on Valpo will be extraordinary.  But I actually got comfortable with adding 2 to replace 1.  Even 3. I hope Adams is wrong.
If true, this is thinking SMALL on a grand scale! It would be a confirmation that both commissioners Elgin and LeCrone are indeed "peas in a pod" and should be simultaneously fired from their MVC and HL duties.

We need a big picture larger solution and this slightly upward lateral step just ain't going to get err done.

VULB#62

MVC Meetings In St. Louis Today

By Harry Schroeder on May 2, 2017

(St. Louis, MO) – Missouri Valley Conference basketball coaches are meeting in St. Louis today. Without a doubt the men's and women's coaches will be quizzed and informed about the latest going on related to MVC expansion.

However, I'm told this is a regularly scheduled meeting that has a standard agenda including updates on non-conference scheduling, reports on officiating, Arch Madness, marketing/promotions, media relations, NCAA tournament and updates on NCAA legislation. From what I'm told this is a standard, off-season meeting of both the men's and women's coaches.

No one I've talked to believes the university presidents have had their meeting with Commissioner Doug Elgin. If t that is true, then no true decisions have been made. However, there could be many back channel conversations going on and great movement could be taking place.

Our friend Mark Adams says he has a source saying Valparaiso is the one and only team being invited.

Meanwhile, our friend Jeff Bidwell has spoken with Murray State Athletic Director who says the presidents haven't met and MSU hasn't been sent a 'dear John' letter.

[tweet]859452307150323712[/tweet]

It is a fluid situation still today. Remember, Wichita State announced their departure less than a month ago. If an answer comes any time in the next week to ten days, it will have been both deliberate and speedy.

agibson

I'm surprised to hear Paul say he expects final word on Monday. That would seem like an unusually fast process from where we are now.

Sounds like the Presidents still have to vote, presumably then an offer has to be extended, maybe yet still negotiated, considered, etc. I wouldn't expect any official announcements until everything's done. Maybe some of this can be streamlined, but I'll be shocked if this is official on Monday.

valpotx

The problem with Murray State is their last 2 seasons.  Yes, they have a history of winning, but last year was really bad.  We don't have any of those really bad seasons in the last 10+ years.
"Don't mess with Texas"

RacerJoeD

Weren't you guys last under .500 in 09-10? and the year before went 9-22?

Those years don't give a good account to your program and the last two seasons (after losing a coach, complete roster turnover, and an NBA lottery pick) don't give a good account of ours.

vu72

Quote from: RacerJoeD on May 02, 2017, 02:37:18 PM
Weren't you guys last under .500 in 09-10? and the year before went 9-22?

Those years don't give a good account to your program and the last two seasons (after losing a coach, complete roster turnover, and an NBA lottery pick) don't give a good account of ours.

Yep.  Valid points.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Twitter isn't the most affective form for polls because there are a lot of Horizon League fans (non-Valpo Fans) voting for HL.

MVC > HL

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/859477990228537345

agibson

It would be awfully cheeky of Aaron, but it could just be confirmation of The new German signing.

Or, you know, that our first exhibition is going to be a Family Express Family Day.

covufan

Quote from: agibson on May 02, 2017, 04:24:39 PM
It would be awfully cheeky of Aaron, but it could just be confirmation of The new German signing.

Or, you know, that our first exhibition is going to be a Family Express Family Day.
Ding, Ding, Ding! on the German signing

crusaderjoe

Quote from: agibson on May 02, 2017, 02:04:37 PM
I'm surprised to hear Paul say he expects final word on Monday. That would seem like an unusually fast process from where we are now.

Sounds like the Presidents still have to vote, presumably then an offer has to be extended, maybe yet still negotiated, considered, etc. I wouldn't expect any official announcements until everything's done. Maybe some of this can be streamlined, but I'll be shocked if this is official on Monday.

I think Monday sounds reasonable actually.  I would imagine that a lot of vetting took place by the MVC when Creighton left.  I believe the last team to leave the MVC before Creighton was Tulsa in 1996? (I'm sure one of our MVC friends knows for sure) so a Creighton departure probably required more due diligence since a member hadn't left in so long.  The MVC only visited four schools this time around.  Plus, next Monday puts us into the second week in May and sports schedules would have to start being rearranged and put together for the next year, not only by the MVC but also by the HL or the OVC (or the Summit).  The A-10 only took Butler so late in May due to special circumstances.  I think if we don't hear on Monday it would be very soon thereafter.

SanityLost17

So the Valley coaches had a routine meeting today to discuss other topics.  Obviously at this meeting the topic of expansion was also talked about extensively as well as that is the hot topic these days.  Sounds like Mark Adams just tweeted out "the pulse of the room" according to somebody who shares info with him. 

Obviously, the pulse of the coaches is not necessarily the pulse of the AD's and Presidents.

I am sure Adam's information didn't come out of thin air.  Seems like a pretty respectable guy.  The only leap I am willing to make at this juncture is that the coaches seem to be leaning 10 teams and Valpo.       

VU2014

One interesting theory I've heard is that this "leak" that just happened was a negotiation ploy by the MVC to try and force Murray State make concessions on some things and pressure them into agreeing to something. I never thought about that but I guess everything in life is a negotiation.

Thoughts on that "conspiracy theory"/possibility?

Some speculation someone suggested was: Reduced financial compensation for the first few years? No shares in old tournament money? Not sure Valpo would agree to that or at least the reduced compensation for a few years. I'd think I'd probably say no to that if they asked Valpo to make that concession.