• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Possible Missouri Valley Conference Expansion

Started by VU2014, May 12, 2017, 10:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

IPFW has been in the middle of a tussle between the local school administration, some of the business community, IU and Purdue for years.  I, like many other people, thought the school and it's very nice campus would eventually become an independent school in NE Indiana.  However, after months of working on the problem, Purdue now will assume control and the school will be re-named Purdue-Northeast.  Indiana will have a couple of programs on the campus however the school will be called Purdue Northeast.  Confused?  I am.  I believe the changes starte in July of '18.

wh

The same thing could happen to IUPUI and Ft. Wayne as happened to Valpo and Oakland when they moved to the HL. Players and their families that would balk at the prospects of traveling to the Dakotas, Nebraska, Oaklahoma and Colorado to play a bunch of bb unknowns may give both programs more serious consideration as members of the Horizon League. I think both programs have great potential for growth.

valpotx

Yikes, I hope that they rethink that Purdue Northeast moniker.  They basically bail on any name tied to Fort Wayne.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Dave_2010

Quote from: valpotx on May 14, 2017, 12:08:00 PM
Yikes, I hope that they rethink that Purdue Northeast moniker.  They basically bail on any name tied to Fort Wayne.

Those rebrandings aren't cheap either. If the school is struggling financially, there are probably better uses for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wh

There are more important considerations than mid major basketball when selecting a name.  Purdue University is an internationally recognized, respected name in higher education. Personally, I would much prefer a reference to Purdue University on my resume than "Ft. Wayne U.," especially if I'm an engineering major or other field that Purdue is nationally ranked in. "Ft. Wayne" has secondary tier written all over it.

Dave_2010

Quote from: wh on May 14, 2017, 01:48:48 PM
There are more important considerations than mid major basketball when selecting a name.  Purdue University is an internationally recognized, respected name in higher education. Personally, I would much prefer a reference to Purdue University on my resume than "Ft. Wayne U.," especially if I'm an engineering major or other field that Purdue is nationally ranked in. "Ft. Wayne" has secondary tier written all over it.

Understandable. Then I'd go with Purdue-Fort Wayne, keeping athletics as Fort Wayne. Purdue-Northeast has community college written all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU75

I wonder if  the Pioneer League might become an option if a move to the Horizon leaves Robert Morris looking for a football home.

hailcrusaders

Quote from: Dave_2010 on May 14, 2017, 02:27:03 PM
Quote from: wh on May 14, 2017, 01:48:48 PMThere are more important considerations than mid major basketball when selecting a name.  Purdue University is an internationally recognized, respected name in higher education. Personally, I would much prefer a reference to Purdue University on my resume than "Ft. Wayne U.," especially if I'm an engineering major or other field that Purdue is nationally ranked in. "Ft. Wayne" has secondary tier written all over it.
Understandable. Then I'd go with Purdue-Fort Wayne, keeping athletics as Fort Wayne. Purdue-Northeast has community college written all over it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Purdue-Northeast" sounds the same to me as "Purdue-North Central" or "Purdue-Calumet". Nothing against those schools and their alumni, but I don't think of them in the same vein as Purdue-West Lafayette.

I'd agree with the Purdue-Fort Wayne/Fort Wayne Mastodons deal.

Is IUPUI going to have to deal with a similar budget restructuring?

How hard do we think the HL is going to try to keep the travel partner situation going? We went without it for a year or two after Butler but before Oakland. Right now, UIC is partner-less. IUPUI, PNE (sorry, can't) Fort Wayne, or Southern Indiana (D2 straight to Horizon seems like a big jump to me) would fill the void. Milwaukee might too, but that would strand Green Bay.
#CrusadersForever

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteUnderstandable. Then I'd go with Purdue-Fort Wayne, keeping athletics as Fort Wayne. Purdue-Northeast has community college written all over it.

This. You already have brand equity with Ft. Wayne in the name. You've been IPFW for years. Shorten to P-FW if you must, but man, Purdue-Northeast sounds like an extension office in a strip mall. (And fair or not, it conjures up community college, since that's essentially what Purdue-North Central was known as for generations).

bbtds

Quote from: hailcrusaders on May 14, 2017, 10:04:29 PM"Purdue-Northeast" sounds the same to me as "Purdue-North Central" or "Purdue-Calumet". Nothing against those schools and their alumni, but I don't think of them in the same vein as Purdue-West Lafayette.

Considering the fact that Purdue-North Central and Purdue-Calumet have now combined under Mitch Daniels and are now called Purdue-Northwest it makes perfect sense to now call Fort Wayne "Purdue-Northeast."

oklahomamick

Chicago St. -  Chicago State provides a quality education and to emphasize the school's uniqueness, such as the weaving classes it offers.

That's really a class?  No wonder they are in risk of losing their accreditation.  I thought Chicago St. would be a realistic candidate and great travel partner for UIC.  The financial and academic situation is too big of a risk.  How do they afford the WAC?
CRUSADERS!!!

crusader05

Weaving classes and such are not atypical.My friend at Purdue took one and a bowling class.  It's an art class and they are usually provided as electives to help get Seniors and Upper classmen out of lower level classes that underclassman need for their major. I personally sometimes wish Valpo had more classes like this as sometimes first years have a difficult time scheduling b/c seniors looking to meet elective requirements take certain 100 level courses that are a requirement for some majors.

valpo64

As for naming  the "new" Ft. Wayne,  it has already been announced that the new name will be Purdue-Northeast.  The current Chancellor of the school as it currently stands(IPFW) retires at the end of this year and so far no replacement has been named.  With the realignment, IU's presence on the campus will only consist of 2 bldgs on the campus.  Last week it was announced that IU will not have a Chancellor of their own in FW.  Perhaps the "new" school  will try to keep and promote the "Fort Wayne" name for their athletic teams, however the school will be named Purdue-Northeast.   Talk about a screwed up mess, the current music and drama areas, now part of the IU program, will next year be run by Purdue...AND THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A MUSIC PROGRAM IN LAFAYETTE!!

E-Villan

I agree, Purdue-Northeast screams community college.

I don't understand the legalities, but it seems if Southern Indiana could break off from ISU, IPFW should be able to do the same. I would think all the justifications for doing it in Evansville would be in play in Ft. Wayne. Southern Indiana and Northern Indiana. Seems logical.

valpo4life

Regardless of what Fort Wayne is going to be/should be called, the Horizon League needs to make something positive happen quickly (assuming we accept the invite to the MVC). Because in my eyes, in terms of basketball, the Summit is now better than the Horizon

covufan

Quote from: valpo4life on May 15, 2017, 11:34:23 AM
Regardless of what Fort Wayne is going to be/should be called, the Horizon League needs to make something positive happen quickly (assuming we accept the invite to the MVC). Because in my eyes, in terms of basketball, the Summit is now better than the Horizon
Unfortunately, this is true.  The Summit somehow has collected a set of schools that have increased their Men's Basketball presence.  Congrats to them.

bbtds

"We'll think about it."

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on May 15, 2017, 11:45:29 AM

"We'll think about it."

I don't want to be rude, but I honestly am so happy he's not our commissioner anymore... he made some great moves like the 'HL network' but it didn't take long for ESPN3 to render it completely obsolete. I don't give him credit for OU (b/c they were an obvious add at the time), but I will credit NKU to him as a good add but I've heard from a few people that there were really a few ADs/others that were pushing for NKU before they came on his radar as a target, regardless good for him for pushing for it I guess.

FWalum

Quote from: valpo64 on May 15, 2017, 10:29:53 AMTalk about a screwed up mess, the current music and drama areas, now part of the IU program, will next year be run by Purdue...AND THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A MUSIC PROGRAM IN LAFAYETTE!!
Valpo64 brings up perhaps the most overlooked parts of this whole Purdue takeover.  IPFW has an accredited music department that offers degrees from the renowned IU School of Music.  Its main facility is the John and Ruth Rhinehart Music Center, a beautiful facility (and expensive) that features the outstanding 1,600-seat Auer Performance Hall and the 250-seat Rhinehart Recital Hall, rehearsal halls, studios, and practice rooms. They offered technical collaboration with Sweetwater Sound, something even IU could not do.
QuoteThrough the generous support of Sweetwater Sound Inc, the Department of Music has announced a new program in music technology.  The IPFW Sweetwater Music Technology program offers students the chance to learn recording arts, digital sampling, mixing, live sound, and music composition using the latest technologies in IPFW's music technology facility.  This unique partnership with one of the country's leading music technology companies allow students to learn at the side of professionals in their field and participate in internships at Sweetwater.

Auer Performance Hall

This department was really one of the gems of IPFW and I have to wonder what will happen to it when it can no longer offer the IU diploma.  I don't even know what kinds of degrees they will be allowed to confer. Right now they offer:
    Bachelor of Music Education Choral/General (B.Mus.Ed.)
    Bachelor of Music Education Instrumental/General (B.Mus.Ed.)
    Bachelor of Music in Performance Piano (B.Mus.)
    Bachelor of Music in Performance Instrumental (B.Mus.)
    Bachelor of Music in Performance Vocal (B.Mus.)
    Bachelor of Music in Performance Guitar (B.Mus.)
    Bachelor of Science in Music Therapy (B.S.M.T.)
    Bachelor of Science in Music and an Outside Field Music Technology (B.S.)
    Bachelor of Science in Music and an Outside Field  (B.S.)
Purdue currently offers no degrees in music and only has a Department of University Bands. If Purdue-Northeast is somehow allowed to continue offering degrees in music, it certainly will suffer a large reduction of applicants because it will no longer be part of the IU School of Music. This was a really stupid move and because arts programs are often overlooked not something they paid much attention to in the impact studies.
Rant over  :banghead:  Can you tell I was originally a Vocal Performance major at VU before switching to Business...
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo4life

Quote from: FWalum on May 15, 2017, 12:24:10 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on May 15, 2017, 10:29:53 AMTalk about a screwed up mess, the current music and drama areas, now part of the IU program, will next year be run by Purdue...AND THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A MUSIC PROGRAM IN LAFAYETTE!!
Valpo64 brings up perhaps the most overlooked parts of this whole Purdue takeover.  IPFW has an accredited music department that offers degrees from the renowned IU School of Music.  Its main facility is the John and Ruth Rhinehart Music Center, a beautiful facility (and expensive) that features the outstanding 1,600-seat Auer Performance Hall and the 250-seat Rhinehart Recital Hall, rehearsal halls, studios, and practice rooms. They offered technical collaboration with Sweetwater Sound, something even IU could not do.
QuoteThrough the generous support of Sweetwater Sound Inc, the Department of Music has announced a new program in music technology.  The IPFW Sweetwater Music Technology program offers students the chance to learn recording arts, digital sampling, mixing, live sound, and music composition using the latest technologies in IPFW's music technology facility.  This unique partnership with one of the country's leading music technology companies allow students to learn at the side of professionals in their field and participate in internships at Sweetwater.

Auer Performance Hall

This department was really one of the gems of IPFW and I have to wonder what will happen to it when it can no longer offer the IU diploma.  I don't even know what kinds of degrees they will be allowed to confer. Right now they offer:
Purdue currently offers no degrees in music and only has a Department of University Bands. If Purdue-Northeast is somehow allowed to continue offering degrees in music, it certainly will suffer a large reduction of applicants because it will no longer be part of the IU School of Music. This was a really stupid move and because arts programs are often overlooked not something they paid much attention to in the impact studies.
Rant over  :banghead:  Can you tell I was originally a Vocal Performance major at VU before switching to Business...

Frankly, I don't care about a single word in this post. This is a Valpo Basketball forum, I don't want to see a post with a huge picture about Fort Wayne's music program. Sorry to be rude, but this isn't the place for this topic.

wh

Quote from: valpo4life on May 15, 2017, 12:59:01 PM

Auer Performance Hall

Frankly, I don't care about a single word in this post. This is a Valpo Basketball forum, I don't want to see a post with a huge picture about Fort Wayne's music program. Sorry to be rude, but this isn't the place for this topic.

I don't have any problem with a non-basketball picture - except - it's a stark reminder of never ending palatial extravagance that continues to elevate the cost of attending college to obscene levels.

valpo84

Maybe Valpo could agree to take over the music program in Ft Wayne and have immediate expanded facilities and program.  Tie-ins with Concordia FW.  In today's educational economy, those that think ahead and out of the box will have the advantages.  Synergies!
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VULB#62

Quote from: valpo84 on May 15, 2017, 04:24:46 PM
Maybe Valpo could agree to take over the music program in Ft Wayne and have immediate expanded facilities and program.  Tie-ins with Concordia FW.  In today's educational economy, those that think ahead and out of the box will have the advantages.  Synergies!

There is absolutely no doubt that music is woven into the fabric of Valpo (except a Pep Band - but that is another discussion).  As a religious-based institution, music (in all forms) plays an important role in our culture and our worship. If PNW would be willing to cut out ther entire music program and allow Valpo to operate it in conjunction with Concordia that would expand Valpo's offerings as well as its footprint. The problem, IMO, is the long commute to practice for gifted musicians and voacalists who play, say, football and basketball. 

Just kidding of course about the jocks stuff, but the first part of my post holds.  Valpo tried to make some inroads into Chicago, if I recall, and maybe moving east to essentially bracket the northern part of the state would not be a bad strategy. Maybe they could buy the performing arts facility for pennies on the dollar.  ;)

a3uge

Quote from: valpo4life on May 15, 2017, 12:59:01 PM

Auer Performance Hall

Sorry to be rude, but are you incapable of scrolling past a few paragraphs of text?

oklahomamick

Lots of fans around the HL often said that Valpo bball hasn't done anything and we think we are better than what we are. 

I'll say this,

No one in the current HL will win 5 out of 6 championships setting a scoring margin in the process
No one that the HL pick ups will win 5 out of 6 championships.

We were in the league for 10 years and we won the league half of that time. 
CRUSADERS!!!