• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Possible Missouri Valley Conference Expansion

Started by VU2014, May 12, 2017, 10:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrishDawg

Quote from: oklahomamick on May 15, 2017, 07:22:48 PM
Lots of fans around the HL often said that Valpo bball hasn't done anything and we think we are better than what we are. 

I'll say this,

No one in the current HL will win 5 out of 6 championships setting a scoring margin in the process
No one that the HL pick ups will win 5 out of 6 championships.

We were in the league for 10 years and we won the league half of that time.

Some of it is sour grapes because they know that the most consistently good program in the league is leaving.  While Valpo didn't win any tourney games (which is probably why they're saying Valpo hasn't done "anything"), the 2 tourney games that Valpo did qualify for were much closer than the rest of the league's games the last 6 years.

Valpo's been much better the last 5 years especially while the league as a whole has gotten much worse.  While winning any regular season league title is a great accomplishment, the next step for Valpo is being able to qualify for the tournament even when you don't win the league tournament.  Really hard to do in the current environment, but I think that's ultimately the goal for the school and its new league is to get multiple bids on a consistent basis.

VU2624

Quote from: VU75 on May 14, 2017, 03:25:04 PMI wonder if  the Pioneer League might become an option if a move to the Horizon leaves Robert Morris looking for a football home.

They have a scholarship program so the answer to that is no. They'd likely stay in the NEC in football.

VU2624

Quote from: valpo4life on May 15, 2017, 12:59:01 PM
Quote from: FWalum on May 15, 2017, 12:24:10 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on May 15, 2017, 10:29:53 AMTalk about a screwed up mess, the current music and drama areas, now part of the IU program, will next year be run by Purdue...AND THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A MUSIC PROGRAM IN LAFAYETTE!!
Valpo64 brings up perhaps the most overlooked parts of this whole Purdue takeover.  IPFW has an accredited music department that offers degrees from the renowned IU School of Music.  Its main facility is the John and Ruth Rhinehart Music Center, a beautiful facility (and expensive) that features the outstanding 1,600-seat Auer Performance Hall and the 250-seat Rhinehart Recital Hall, rehearsal halls, studios, and practice rooms. They offered technical collaboration with Sweetwater Sound, something even IU could not do.
QuoteThrough the generous support of Sweetwater Sound Inc, the Department of Music has announced a new program in music technology.  The IPFW Sweetwater Music Technology program offers students the chance to learn recording arts, digital sampling, mixing, live sound, and music composition using the latest technologies in IPFW's music technology facility.  This unique partnership with one of the country's leading music technology companies allow students to learn at the side of professionals in their field and participate in internships at Sweetwater.
Auer Performance Hall This department was really one of the gems of IPFW and I have to wonder what will happen to it when it can no longer offer the IU diploma.  I don't even know what kinds of degrees they will be allowed to confer. Right now they offer: Bachelor of Music Education Choral/General (B.Mus.Ed.) Bachelor of Music Education Instrumental/General (B.Mus.Ed.) Bachelor of Music in Performance Piano (B.Mus.) Bachelor of Music in Performance Instrumental (B.Mus.) Bachelor of Music in Performance Vocal (B.Mus.) Bachelor of Music in Performance Guitar (B.Mus.) Bachelor of Science in Music Therapy (B.S.M.T.) Bachelor of Science in Music and an Outside Field Music Technology (B.S.) Bachelor of Science in Music and an Outside Field  (B.S.) Purdue currently offers no degrees in music and only has a Department of University Bands. If Purdue-Northeast is somehow allowed to continue offering degrees in music, it certainly will suffer a large reduction of applicants because it will no longer be part of the IU School of Music. This was a really stupid move and because arts programs are often overlooked not something they paid much attention to in the impact studies. Rant over  :banghead:  Can you tell I was originally a Vocal Performance major at VU before switching to Business...
Frankly, I don't care about a single word in this post. This is a Valpo Basketball forum, I don't want to see a post with a huge picture about Fort Wayne's music program. Sorry to be rude, but this isn't the place for this topic.

Thank you for sharing.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: IrishDawg on May 15, 2017, 07:48:13 PM
Lots of fans around the HL often said that Valpo bball hasn't done anything and we think we are better than what we are. 

I'll say this,

No one in the current HL will win 5 out of 6 championships setting a scoring margin in the process

Some of it is sour grapes because they know that the most consistently good program in the league is leaving.  While Valpo didn't win any tourney games (which is probably why they're saying Valpo hasn't done "anything"), the 2 tourney games that Valpo did qualify for were much closer than the rest of the league's games the last 6 years.

Valpo's been much better the last 5 years especially while the league as a whole has gotten much worse.  While winning any regular season league title is a great accomplishment, the next step for Valpo is being able to qualify for the tournament even when you don't win the league tournament.  Really hard to do in the current environment, but I think that's ultimately the goal for the school and its new league is to get multiple bids on a consistent basis.

Some in the VU community are mighty self assured for winning 2x in the previous millennium.  That being said, I'd rather be VU than any other HL program at this time.  That's not cocky, just the facts as I see them.

EddieCabot

I'll say this,

Good points.  Sadly, as Valpo elevated its program, the rest of the HL teams slid backwards.  Too bad they couldn't leverage Valpo's success to improve their own programs. 

VU2014

Quote from: EddieCabot on May 15, 2017, 09:21:07 PM

I'll say this,

Good points.  Sadly, as Valpo elevated its program, the rest of the HL teams slid backwards.  Too bad they couldn't leverage Valpo's success to improve their own programs. 

Not only that but they didn't leverage Butler's success in its years in the HL. Was a massive failure of LeCrone and the HL Office. Should have looked towards expansion even before Butlers runs.

VU75

Quote from: oklahomamick on May 15, 2017, 08:22:13 AMI thought Chicago St. would be a realistic candidate and great travel partner for UIC.  The financial and academic situation is too big of a risk.  How do they afford the WAC?

Chicago State only has a five year contract with the WAC which runs out June 2018.  CSU really hasn't lived up to the contract that called for them to add men's soccer, address some safety issues and make a number of other other specified upgrades.  There is a chance the WAC could vote to extend the contract or they could just let it expire.

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on May 15, 2017, 12:24:10 PMCan you tell I was originally a Vocal Performance major at VU before switching to Business...

Can you put up an MP3 of one of your vocal performances before I decide?  ;)

Dave_2010

Quote from: valpo84 on May 15, 2017, 04:24:46 PM
Maybe Valpo could agree to take over the music program in Ft Wayne and have immediate expanded facilities and program.  Tie-ins with Concordia FW.  In today's educational economy, those that think ahead and out of the box will have the advantages.  Synergies!

Lol. The thought of the Fort Wayne seminary doing anything in conjunction with Valpo would certainly be a sign of the apocalypse. If memory serves, they refuse to accept applicants with Valpo theology degrees. I believe Valpo students are told to study classics and Greek/Hebrew but avoid letting the heretics in the VU Theology faculty pollute their minds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crusadermoe

Uh...back to the thread topic....

The Horizon footprint now makes it a fully Ohio-centric conference. They are a mini-MAC in geography and the Wisconsins must hate it.

I wish them well, but the two Indianas and Western Illinois are the only ones that really fit the Horizon now and they would love to come aboard. They would round out  minor sports travel to Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana and notch 12 teams.  The Horizon name is goofy.  They should go with "Great Lakes"

So dittos from me to the WH post from pages ago on those three. 

Vive le Crone!

VU2014

Quote from: crusadermoe on May 16, 2017, 12:26:59 PM

The Horizon footprint now makes it a fully Ohio-centric conference. They are a mini-MAC in geography and the Wisconsins must hate it.

I wish them well, but the two Indianas and Western Illinois are the only ones that really fit the Horizon now and they would love to come aboard. They would round out  minor sports travel to Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana and notch 12 teams.  The Horizon name is goofy.  They should go with "Great Lakes"

Vive le Crone!

Agreed lets get back on topic!

Problem with IUPUI is that aren't that good at basketball and don't have baseball, which hurts their chances. IPFW seems like the most likely Indiana school to get an invite because they have baseball and I'm sure if they get the invite, LeCrone will "tout" their win against IU in the press conference. Their athletics are pretty brutal.

Western Illinois wouldn't be a good add. They are clearly a football school and would be the Illinois version of YSU but with more budgetary concerns.

If I had to guess Omaha, Robert Morris, & IPFW will all be in serious consideration. I'm sure they want Belmont and may reach out to Murray State but will get shot down.

Dave_2010

New Mexico State is starting to get serious traction on the HL board. From what I can tell, they have 2 reasons:

1- they've made the tournament 5 of the last 6 years.

2- geography doesn't matter.

From any sane perspective both of these arguments are poor. They made the tournament because the WAC is terrible and travel to and from Las Cruces, while not as bad as Southern Utah back in the MidCon days, is a pain. Additionally, NMSU is presumably looking for a long term home for all of its sports, including football. Even if they join, it will be a temporary partnership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on May 16, 2017, 01:40:39 PM

Vive le Crone!

Problem with IUPUI is that aren't that good at basketball and don't have baseball, which hurts their chances. IPFW seems like the most likely Indiana school to get an invite because they have baseball and I'm sure if they get the invite, LeCrone will "tout" their win against IU in the press conference. Their athletics are pretty brutal.

Western Illinois wouldn't be a good add. They are clearly a football school and would be the Illinois version of YSU but with more budgetary concerns.

If I had to guess Omaha, Robert Morris, & IPFW will all be in serious consideration. I'm sure they want Belmont and may reach out to Murray State but will get shot down.

If Robert Morris is their answer then things have hit a new low.  They play D1 Hockey and Lacrosse, neither of which are offered by the Horizon and don't play baseball, Cross Country, Swimming and Diving, Tennis or Track and Field, in Men's sports. Their basketball stinks.  They lost to YSU last year, on their home court, in front of an amazing crowd of 792. They got drilled by Oakland, also on their home floor in front of...are you ready for this...638.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on May 16, 2017, 02:22:23 PM

Vive le Crone!

If Robert Morris is their answer then things have hit a new low.  They play D1 Hockey and Lacrosse, neither of which are offered by the Horizon and don't play baseball, Cross Country, Swimming and Diving, Tennis or Track and Field, in Men's sports. Their basketball stinks.  They lost to YSU last year, on their home court, in front of an amazing crowd of 792. They got drilled by Oakland, also on their home floor in front of...are you ready for this...638.

An Oakland Reporter mentioned that his sources told him Robert Morris is under serious consideration from HL HQ. Definitely agree there are issues with them. The Basketball has been bad lately but they've had past success and they are fairly close to YSU. The HL is starting to move East.

cornonthe

Quote from: VU2014 on May 16, 2017, 02:31:10 PM
Quote from: vu72 on May 16, 2017, 02:22:23 PM

Vive le Crone!

An Oakland Reporter mentioned that his sources told him Robert Morris is under serious consideration from HL HQ. Definitely agree there are issues with them. The Basketball has been bad lately but they've had past success and they are fairly close to YSU. The HL is starting to move East.

I am beginning to suspect that they may have their Robert Morris' confused. Perhaps, from there it took on a life of its own, so now it has become fact, based off of the original report being confused or downright wrong. I have not seen one big reporter reporting this...

For me, the Horizon has to be proactive here and add Omaha, two others...I like the idea of U of Southern Indiana...hopefully they are looking to move up to D-I, but they have been talking about moving up for years...

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

cornonthe

Quote from: oklahomamick on May 16, 2017, 06:19:38 PM
You understand Omaha would not choose the HL over the SL.
I'm not going to argue it...I just remembered that I don't care...HL is in the past, the MVC is the future. Also, it does not help that I am REALLY tired and I don't really remember typing that...I may have meant UMKC... :o

bbtds

Quote from: cornonthe on May 16, 2017, 06:32:20 PM
I'm not going to argue it...I just remembered that I don't care...HL is in the past, the MVC is the future. Also, it does not help that I am REALLY tired and I don't really remember typing that...I may have meant UMKC... :o

Do you remember your pledge of $15M for ARC renovations? It was so gracious. MLB would like to get your cell phone number.  ;D

cornonthe

Quote from: bbtds on May 16, 2017, 10:24:45 PM
Quote from: cornonthe on May 16, 2017, 06:32:20 PM

Do you remember your pledge of $15M for ARC renovations? It was so gracious. MLB would like to get your cell phone number.  ;D
I believe MLB would be greatly saddened by the actual amount in my bank account... :'( :'( :'(

wh

YSU coaches wait on Valpo, league to finish scheduling

"The Penguins already have Butler, DePaul and Utah State on the schedule as guaranteed games. YSU receives $85,000 for playing Butler and DePaul and $90,000 for Utah State."

http://www.tribtoday.com/sports/ysu-sports/2017/05/ysu-coaches-wait-on-valpo-league-to-finish-scheduling/

VU2014

Quote"What I think is going to happen, and I'm completely against it, but just talking to some of the guys in the league, we're going to be stuck playing non-Division Is. I hate to say it."

The hope is that after Valparaiso makes its move official, the Horizon League moves quickly to secure a 10th team.

They know Valpo is leaving and have known since the invite was extended AND the Horizon League should have been prepared for this for a few years now since its been blatantly apparent Wichita State wanted to leave the MVC since Creighton left.

Plus they ALL know that Valpo will accept once Baseball is finished up. They've had time to prepare for this.

The ball is LeCrone's court to lead his Conference and inform his coaches on the best way to proceed. I'm shocked (or not) he hasn't informed coaches if they will at least make a strong push to add 1 member.

bigmosmithfan1

YSU's been a complete RPI anchor for the entire HL since they joined, and they're complaining about having to wait a few weeks to finish up scheduling and having to possibly schedule a few non-D1s? Know thyself, Penguins...

VULB#62

The HL anguish could be instantly lifted and scheduling could be done immediately with just one action from the league:  waive the lame duck provision for VU baseball and move on.

valpopal

Why do I get the feeling that Valpo feels no remorse about keeping the Horizon League hanging?

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteThe HL anguish could be instantly lifted and scheduling could be done immediately with just one action from the league:  waive the lame duck provision for VU baseball and move on.

Yeah, that was my other thought. The HL is obviously looking to retain that leverage during exit negotiations, which is fine and their right to do so. But then don't go complaining about how the exit process is being dragged out and is delaying "scheduling." Complain to LeCrone. This could have been wrapped up before lunchtime on May 9 if HL members wanted to move forward that badly. (Also, the league all knows we're leaving at this point. If the HL hasn't communicated privately their gameplan to remaining members whether they'll seek to add a 10th team or not in time for next season, well, that uncertainty isn't on Valpo at this point.)

I'll also note that perhaps if YSU hoops wasn't such a trash fire, maybe you wouldn't have had *three* HL members jumping at the first opportunity to leave in the past five years. (I mean, they're bragging about taking a guarantee game from a team that was a conference rival just five years ago, like that's a good thing).