• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: a3uge on April 03, 2017, 10:46:49 PM

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 03, 2017, 10:36:42 PM
Quote from: a3uge on April 03, 2017, 09:32:31 PM

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 03, 2017, 09:20:54 PM
Drake's athletic facility is nice but nothing really special. But the size and practicality of the facility is ideal for Valpo.

Noe the track stadium there is awesome...

How on earth is this "nothing special" for a mid major: http://www.invisionarch.com/project/drake-university-basketball-practice-facility/ (click view photos).

Drake same student body as VU.  Des Moines IA population 210,000 ppl.  Metro area 600,000+.

No professional sports in IA.

What's your point?

Statement of the facts.  We have been talking about Butler and Gonzaga and how they are large population centers, much like Drake.

bbtds

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 03, 2017, 11:06:05 PMWe have been talking about Butler and Gonzaga and how they are large population centers, much like Drake.

Large Bulldog populations?

FWalum

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 03, 2017, 11:06:05 PM
Quote from: a3uge on April 03, 2017, 10:46:49 PM

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 03, 2017, 10:36:42 PM
Quote from: a3uge on April 03, 2017, 09:32:31 PM

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 03, 2017, 09:20:54 PM
Drake's athletic facility is nice but nothing really special. But the size and practicality of the facility is ideal for Valpo.

Noe the track stadium there is awesome...

How on earth is this "nothing special" for a mid major: http://www.invisionarch.com/project/drake-university-basketball-practice-facility/ (click view photos).

Drake same student body as VU.  Des Moines IA population 210,000 ppl.  Metro area 600,000+.

No professional sports in IA.

What's your point?

Statement of the facts.  We have been talking about Butler and Gonzaga and how they are large population centers, much like Drake.
Your facts prove the point that Drake is in a smaller MSA population area with a much lower population density per square mile when considering the entire 5 counties. The 5 counties that make up the Northwest Indiana Region has a population of 819,537. I don't think that is what you were trying to say.  Maybe this helps...
Population within a 25 mile radius of Drake University 475,576
Population within a 25 mile radius of Valparaiso University 721,012
Population within a 20 mile radius of Drake University 447,908
Population within a 20 mile radius of Valparaiso University 443,366
Population within a 15 mile radius of Drake University 410,277
Population within a 15 mile radius of Valparaiso University 231,975

If you are willing to drive 30 minutes to go to a game, VU has at least as many if not a higher population to pull from than Drake.  If not, then Drake has a serious advantage with a higher population in a closer proximity to the school.

Population tool: https://www.freemaptools.com/find-population.htm
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Valpower

Quote from: FWalum on April 04, 2017, 01:42:52 PM
Your facts prove the point that Drake is in a smaller MSA population area with a much lower population density per square mile when considering the entire 5 counties. The 5 counties that make up the Northwest Indiana Region has a population of 819,537. I don't think that is what you were trying to say.  Maybe this helps...

If you are willing to drive 30 minutes to go to a game, VU has at least as many if not a higher population to pull from than Drake.  If not, then Drake has a serious advantage with a higher population in a closer proximity to the school.

The problem lies in the name of the universities.  "Valparaiso," because it's name is associated with the city in which it resides, is a hostile and culturally unwelcoming name to those from other cities and townships.  Drake is more inclusive.  I propose we change the name of the university to Vicuña University.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Valpower on April 04, 2017, 02:17:53 PM

The problem lies in the name of the universities.  "Valparaiso," because it's name is associated with the city in which it resides, is a hostile and culturally unwelcoming name to those from other cities and townships.  Drake is more inclusive.  I propose we change the name of the university to Vicuña University.

You make solid points but also are misreading intent.  My bigger concern is how many ppl are coming from the IL side of the border to the ARC?  And more so, what is there to do in Des Moines in Dec-Feb on a game night?

Unfortunately, media has changed how we all engage with our college teams.  If I lived within 20 miles of VU (as an Alumni) I'd be there 6+ times a year.  I live 65 miles away so that shrinks to 3 games a year.

Then add in the TV contracts and I could get away with 0 games at the ARC / year.  Sadly this is the trend.  I'm most concerned with the fact that VU is only truly (potentially) pulling in Munster and East...

All assumptions, but I think fair.  Maybe Des Moines, Spokane and Indy have more butts in the seats because of culture, population density, lack of distractions that the Chicago suburbs offer.

I think the real problem is VU depends on locals to buy tickets.  Is local interest declining along with student body distractions/ESPN3?

a3uge

My original point with mentioning Drake was that they have decent facilities, but suck at basketball.

wh

I noticed that 1st Source Bank just tore down their branch bank facility at the corner of Vale Park and Calumet (probably built in the '80's. They are replacing it with a nearly identical sized structure. Pretty dumb, huh?

Think small.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on April 08, 2017, 03:11:13 PM
I noticed that 1st Source Bank just tore down their branch bank facility at the corner of Vale Park and Calumet (probably built in the '80's. They are replacing it with a nearly identical sized structure. Pretty dumb, huh?

Think small.

I'm not putting up any money to make an oversized bank in a digital banking world.  Bank branches are better in multitude or mobile accessibility.  Glad they plan to stay invested in the community though.

VU2014

Check this out. University of Southern Indiana is getting a DII school (Great Lakes Valley Conference (same former Conf as NKU)) will break ground in May on the first of a two-phase, $57 million renovation of the Physical Activities Center – supplying its basketball and volleyball programs with a state-of-the-art arena that seats 4,000. There are currently 69 Division I gyms that are smaller than that.

I didn't even know where USI was located. I had to look it up. They are in Evansville Indiana.

If Valpo were to leave the Horizon League this seems like a very LeCrone type target down the road. If Valpo were to leave its been speculated that LeCrone wants to continue justifying the League offices being in Indianapolis being so far away from the rest of the schools (but that is also where NCAA offices are). My guess is his Targets are Omaha and Denver and maybe try and steal 2 of the Dakotas (highly unlikely) and try again to steal Belmont (not happening either ("kings" of a terrible OVC if Murray left). USI maybe could be a target and travel partner for NKU.

But damn do I wish we could get a brand $57M facility (use that amount of $ for a Rec Center and major facelift the ARC...). USI is a D2 school!

https://twitter.com/ecp_Hickey/status/855888284731486212

http://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/southern-indiana/2017/04/22/renovation-does-not-signal-d--aspirations-usi/100788962/

Renovation does not signal D-I aspirations for USI

Pat Hickey , pat.hickey@courierpress.com 3:41 p.m. CT April 22, 2017

Last month, former NCAA Division II Great Lakes Valley Conference member Northern Kentucky University earned the Horizon League's automatic bid into the Division I men's basketball tournament in its first year of eligibility.

Meanwhile, the fan reaction from current GLVC member University of Southern Indiana was: That could be us someday.

Television deals and other factors continue to realign Division I conferences.

Recently, Wichita State left the Missouri Valley for greener pastures in the American Athletic. Its departure creates a trickle-down effect and the MVC could seek expansion beyond simply replacing the Shockers. Valparaiso (Horizon) and Murray State (Ohio Valley) have been speculated to be leading candidates, and then those conferences would need to find replacements.

USI will break ground in May on the first of a two-phase, $57 million renovation of the Physical Activities Center – supplying its basketball and volleyball programs with a state-of-the-art arena that seats 4,000. There are currently 69 Division I gyms that are smaller than that.

With all that said, is the university actively looking to follow in the footsteps of NKU and others that have made the jump? The answer right now remains: never say never, but it's not being discussed right now.

"Our main focus right now is taking the programs we have and putting them in a position to compete for NCAA championships on a more regular basis," USI Athletic Director Jon Mark Hall said. "We don't really talk Division I, but I do think once the new facility is finished then you can check off one thing that maybe we needed to get ourselves to a certain level."

Unquestionably, the renovation will help attract more recruits. Much like some decide if they'd rather play for a weak Division I or strong Division II program, that is also something that schools looking to make the jump up or step down consider.

The biggest challenge is funding – not just whether USI could compete in a conference like the Horizon or OVC. There is a hefty fee in applying to the NCAA for reclassification. Then, on average, schools need an athletic budget of about $3 million annually to commit to making that leap.

USI's budget is in the middle of the pack in the GLVC and likely the same in Division II.

But the new PAC (which will be renamed) will be one box checked off if an opportunity presents itself.

"It's just one piece to the puzzle," Hall said. "If there is a time the leadership of this institution wanted to go play and compete at the Division I level then you'd have some facilities on campus that would be close to being ready to go."

SMALL SHAKEUP IN THE GLVC

While Division II conferences are more stable than Division I, there is still some movement happening.

The eight-school Great Midwest Athletic Conference, featuring Kentucky Wesleyan, will add six institutions next school year: Findlay, Hillsdale, Lake Erie, Ohio Dominican and Walsh, followed by Tiffin in 2018-19.

With Saint Joseph's College having suspended operations, the GLVC is not expected to immediately replace the school. Unofficially, it will be rearranged back to three divisions of five teams.

East: Southern Indiana, Bellarmine, Indianapolis, Wisconsin-Parkside and Lewis.

Central: Quincy, Illinois Springfield, Maryville, McKendree and Missouri-St. Louis.

West: Truman State, Drury, Rockhurst, William Jewell and Missouri S&T.

"The (men's and women's basketball) coaches met (Thursday) in St. Louis," Hall said. "I think the presidents will have the schedules in front of them shortly to finalize, but that's what it's looking like."

GLVC men's and women's basketball operated with three divisions in 2009-10 and '10-11. USI was in a powerhouse East Division with KWC, NKU, Bellarmine and UIndy.

NEW PROGRAM ON THE WAY?

USI has finished 24th and 25th the past two years in the Division II Learfield Directors' Cup standings, which is an all-sports trophy with points awarded for NCAA tournament success.

They are the two best finishes for USI since the award began in 1995-96. Currently, the Eagles are ranked 24th and second in the GLVC behind Drury.

The athletic department's next goal is a top 10 finish and then ultimately a championship. But it's at a disadvantage without programs in football, swimming and diving, wrestling and lacrosse. Among those, Hall said they would considering adding swimming and diving in the near future.

"That's one we'll really take a hard look at and see if that's something we could add," Hall said. "Right now, we're not really in a position to add sports there isn't a conference championship in. I think there's a pretty good recruiting base around here for it and definitely interest. Adding sports isn't an inexpensive proposition but swimming and diving is something we'll look into."

wh

Valpo had better get it in gear.

bbtds

Quote from: Valpower on April 04, 2017, 02:17:53 PM

The problem lies in the name of the universities.  "Valparaiso," because it's name is associated with the city in which it resides, is a hostile and culturally unwelcoming name to those from other cities and townships.  Drake is more inclusive. I propose we change the name of the university to Vicuña University.
Alright, alright, alriiiiight!!!!!

bigmosmithfan1

Ok, just throwing this out there again... with the news that the Star Plaza Theatre is closing for good after all, I'm wondering if it would make sense for VU to at least check in on the feasibility of a city-university partnership on a new arena on the old hospital property. This was briefly discussed in 2007 or 2008, then promptly dropped when the financial crisis occurred.

However, with the news about the Star Plaza going away, there is going to be a definite market need for a concert and event venue for NWI, which a new arena in Valpo could fill.

Worth a conversation, at least.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on June 17, 2017, 10:21:08 PM
Ok, just throwing this out there again... with the news that the Star Plaza Theatre is closing for good after all, I'm wondering if it would make sense for VU to at least check in on the feasibility of a city-university partnership on a new arena on the old hospital property. This was briefly discussed in 2007 or 2008, then promptly dropped when the financial crisis occurred.

However, with the news about the Star Plaza going away, there is going to be a definite market need for a concert and event venue for NWI, which a new arena in Valpo could fill.

Worth a conversation, at least.

If Valpo is indeed a Chicago suburb as some on this board have stated, then there is no need.  Just take a quick drive to Chicagos premier event centers.

But seriously, I don't think the population could support this idea.  I'm not even sure how Ft Wayne is justifying their new event center/arena.

I'd really like it to happen, but Valparaiso is still too low on the population totem pole.  Fun fact, that phrase is actually wrong.  The bottom totems were highly revered and with great detail whereas the top of the totem pole was less revered and for good reason...no one can see ornate detail that high up!

VU2014

Yeah I don't see it happening either. Just wouldn't make financial sense for the City. It would have to be a very modest arena. It's also not a great location for a major events center, either.

Maybe the University & the City could come together to building a Student/Community Recreational Center/Pool?

Many suburban communities park-districts offer community gym/pool/basketball courts, etc. I'm not sure if the city already has a Park District Gym or not, but I do know there has been talk about the City wanting a community pool. Maybe the University could offer the land & split the $ for the Pool/Gym/Rec Center with the Community.

Valparaiso University could split the facility with the community and maybe it would make more economical sense for the community & the University. Would also be another great way to engage the surrounding community with the University.

usc4valpo

A few thoughts...
Drake's Knapp Center is seriously not outstanding. It does its purpose and is better than the ARC.Also, despite being in Des Moines, the attendance at the games are in the 2000 to 3000 range, basically because their performance has been subpar. also, there is much more interest in Iowa State hoops which is only a 40 min drive.

Second, hasn't there been some historical animosity between Valparaiso university and the city? Collaborating to build a facility may be difficult.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on June 18, 2017, 03:23:15 PM
A few thoughts...
Drake's Knapp Center is seriously not outstanding. It does its purpose and is better than the ARC.Also, despite being in Des Moines, the attendance at the games are in the 2000 to 3000 range, basically because their performance has been subpar. also, there is much more interest in Iowa State hoops which is only a 40 min drive.

Second, hasn't there been some historical animosity between Valparaiso university and the city? Collaborating to build a facility may be difficult.
[/b]

Don't know but kinda doubt it.  When I pulled up information on Valparaiso's City Council, the background picture was of Valpo's Chapel!  Next, the mayor and at least two other members are Valpo grads.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on June 18, 2017, 04:09:03 PM
A few thoughts...

[/b]

Don't know but kinda doubt it.  When I pulled up information on Valparaiso's City Council, the background picture was of Valpo's Chapel!  Next, the mayor and at least two other members are Valpo grads.

I don't live in Valpo anymore but it always seemed like the Mayor and the University have been on very good terms while I went to school. They seemed in lock-step when the University bought the hospital property & the worthless parking garage.

Valparaiso University was also a 'good neighbor' by caving to the city by not allowing parking on the streets surrounding the ARC and causing more inconvenience to Fan-base...

No doubt working out the funding/politics of approving shared Community/Student Rec Center/gym/pool would be pretty tough to hammer out any negotiation but it could benefit both parties if they could work it out. Would be a win for the University because the fundraising is the main obstacle and they'd be able to share the costs.

cornonthe

Quote from: VU2014 on June 18, 2017, 08:44:30 PM
Quote from: vu72 on June 18, 2017, 04:09:03 PM
A few thoughts...

[/b]

I don't live in Valpo anymore but it always seemed like the Mayor and the University have been on very good terms while I went to school. They seemed in lock-step when the University bought the hospital property & the worthless parking garage.

Valparaiso University was also a 'good neighbor' by caving to the city by not allowing parking on the streets surrounding the ARC and causing more inconvenience to Fan-base...

No doubt working out the funding/politics of approving shared Community/Student Rec Center/gym/pool would be pretty tough to hammer out any negotiation but it could benefit both parties if they could work it out. Would be a win for the University because the fundraising is the main obstacle and they'd be able to share the costs.

Yeah, the relationship between the city and university is fine...kind of like people/neighbors, a hiccup every now and then, but overall good neighbors. Although, I must admit that I have always gotten along with my neighbors everywhere I have lived!!!  :thumbsup:

Some of you may know that I was a part of a group of investors that had hoped to build an arena at S.R. 2 and 49. In fighting within the group led to the main money people going to Fargo to purchase what was then called the UPC Arena. What we had planned on doing was contacting the city, and possibly the University, about going into the proposed arena. Anyway, it may be best handled by a joint private and public investment into some kind of arena plan. Ours was simple in the first and second phases, though the third phase was monumental. It would have used an existing building and a lobby in the first phase and the one or two buildings in the second phase. There would have been at least two ice sheets which would have been served by one large refrigeration unit. Adding the third ice sheet may have made our operations cost too much to handle in those early stages. We had two committed tenants and some interested local figure skating coaches. Revenue would have come from those rentals and open skating...and hopefully youth and adult leagues managed by the Valparaiso Parks Department. Sadly, things ended so quickly that we never contacted the city.

I wanted to add to the discussion on the alcohol debate from another page. We were going to acquire a beer and wine license on our own with the possibility of adding a catering company to run the third stage club and suite level for liquor sales not in the regular arena seating areas. The beer and wine license would have been easy as it would not have counted against the counties amount of licenses. It would have been a state license expressly for arenas and stadiums...and the like. That is all I can think of right now...

VU2014

Indiana State Head Coach Greg Lansing said something very interesting on the MVC Coaches Teleconference...

https://twitter.com/Valpo_Hoops/status/877187661605339136

Is something in the works that we don't know about? Did Valparaiso give a promise to the Missouri Valley to upgrade the facilities? My guess is not,

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on June 20, 2017, 10:36:37 AM
Indiana State Head Coach Greg Lansing said something very interesting on the MVC Coaches Teleconference...

https://twitter.com/Valpo_Hoops/status/877187661605339136

Is something in the works that we don't know about? Did Valparaiso give a promise to the Missouri Valley to upgrade the facilities? My guess is not,

Seems like a misguided concern, coming from someone who just had their rollover cancelled:

http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_college_sports/isu_sports/isu-men-s-basketball-coach-greg-lansing-has-contract-rollover/article_665bcd26-f872-5b36-9b3e-eb53f50f2191.html

People are too quick to pass judgement and too slow to self reflect.

Pgmado

I think you guys are overreacting. I asked him the question. I was looking for how the ARC compared to the rest of the facilities in the Valley. I thought he gave a thoughtful answer. IMO.

VU2014

Quote from: Pgmado on June 20, 2017, 02:21:44 PM
I think you guys are overreacting. I asked him the question. I was looking for how the ARC compared to the rest of the facilities in the Valley. I thought he gave a thoughtful answer. IMO.

Possibly. Felt like a mild-shot with a bit candid honesty from Lansing.

I think the Athletics Department knows we need to renovate the ARC and see improvements but we're not going to see that happen till they find a lead donor.

I was thinking he may have been messaging to recruits. We are starting to recruit a lot of the same guys like Deavion Washington (Terre Haute native) and Walter Ellis (South Bend). Maybe it was just an off-handed comment with little thought.

VU75

Quote from: Pgmado on June 20, 2017, 02:21:44 PMI think you guys are overreacting

The Delta House argument. "He can't say that about our facilities only we can say that about our facilities."

VULB#62

Fact is that he just said the same stuff we've been saying for quite some time ourselves. What's the big deal?  He also could have said the parking around the ARC sucks, but he didn't.