• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Do you miss Butler?

Started by wh, January 24, 2013, 02:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you wish Butler were still in the Horizon League?

Yes
17 (68%)
No
4 (16%)
Doesn't matter to me
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: January 31, 2013, 02:44:35 PM

vu72

You have to give Rotnei and Dunham credit.  They have incredible range and quick releases.  Don't think I've seen anything quite like Clarke, who is playing out of position.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on February 22, 2013, 11:39:57 PMeven the kittens from the Detroit loss are laughing uncontrollably!!!

made my day.

72, I do think it's at least safe to say that Rotnei Clarke is the Greatest Player Ever Who You Thought Was Black At First But Then Turned Out To Be Inexplicably White.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

oklahomamick

Yes, I miss Butler.  They gave the HL some name recognition.  Until last year...what conference could say that they produced the last 2 national finalist? 

I'm glad they didn't jump into the A10 and win it though.  It looks like St. Louis will win which is okay with me as we lost to them and it will help rpi.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

They are currently getting it handed to them by VCU as well...55-35 with 15' left
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

I think they were drilled by 30. I'm wondering if, say, they lose in the first or second rounds of their tourney, is there a chance they don't make the dance?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

The Bulldogs lost, 84-52, a 32-point drubbing. The worst loss under Brad Stevens. Are there any byes in the A-10 that Butler qualifies for?

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

oklahomamick

Quote from: vu72 on March 02, 2013, 01:51:51 PM
I think they were drilled by 30. I'm wondering if, say, they lose in the first or second rounds of their tourney, is there a chance they don't make the dance?

Of course, if anyone gets a nod on the bubble its march madness butler.
CRUSADERS!!!

zvillehaze

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 02, 2013, 04:32:55 PM
Of course, if anyone gets a none on the bubble its march madness butler.

Spot on ... couldn't have stated it better myself.  :thumbsup:

historyman

Also they have wins over both #1 Gonzaga and #2 Indiana. Those two wins alone are a good reason why Butler as a bubble team would make the Big Dance. Okay not those two wins alone but a pretty good won/loss record too.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

zvillehaze

Quote from: valporun on March 02, 2013, 01:57:28 PM
The Bulldogs lost, 84-52, a 32-point drubbing. The worst loss under Brad Stevens. Are there any byes in the A-10 that Butler qualifies for?

Top 12 teams in A-10 make the tourney, with the top 4 teams getting a single bye.  Games played on back-to-back days ... Thursday through Selection Sunday.  Butler is currently tied for the 4th spot with Temple and hold the tie-breaker.  They are one game ahead of UMass and Xavier, who they face in their last two games.  Obviously, things are still up in the air.

Bad loss today, but Butler remains at #30 in the RPI.  Butler has been vulnerable to pressure defense, and nobody does that better than VCU.  It was also another "t-shirt game" and the 7th sellout in 7 A-10 road games ... they act like Butler's going somewhere!  :-[ I wasn't surprised at the loss, but was disappointed with the effort.

With that said, Butler doesn't have a loss outside of the top 100 RPI and are 5-5 vs. top 50 and 2-2 vs. 51-100.  They aren't on the bubble yet, but if they lose their last two and first in the tourney, could slip above 50 RPI and would be in big trouble, IMO.  But if they do that, they probably wouldn't deserve to be in anyway.

StlVUFan

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 02, 2013, 10:35:46 PM
Quote from: valporun on March 02, 2013, 01:57:28 PM

Top 12 teams in A-10 make the tourney, with the top 4 teams getting a single bye.  Games played on back-to-back days ... Thursday through Selection Sunday.  Butler is currently tied for the 4th spot with Temple and hold the tie-breaker.  They are one game ahead of UMass and Xavier, who they face in their last two games.  Obviously, things are still up in the air.

Bad loss today, but Butler remains at #30 in the RPI.  Butler has been vulnerable to pressure defense, and nobody does that better than VCU.  It was also another "t-shirt game" and the 7th sellout in 7 A-10 road games ... they act like Butler's going somewhere!  :-[ I wasn't surprised at the loss, but was disappointed with the effort.

With that said, Butler doesn't have a loss outside of the top 100 RPI and are 5-5 vs. top 50 and 2-2 vs. 51-100.  They aren't on the bubble yet, but if they lose their last two and first in the tourney, could slip above 50 RPI and would be in big trouble, IMO.  But if they do that, they probably wouldn't deserve to be in anyway.
I'm super impressed with SLU.  Watched them obliterate both of these teams in person (at home, I mean).  I was not surprised to see a much tougher game at Hinkle.

zvillehaze

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 02, 2013, 11:00:56 PMI'm super impressed with SLU.  Watched them obliterate both of these teams in person (at home, I mean).  I was not surprised to see a much tougher game at Hinkle.

I totally agree ... SLU has proven to be the class of the A-10 and will not go home in March (or April) until someone matches their toughness for 40 minutes and truly beats them.  It was unfortunate for Butler that SLU was the one team they had to play twice because SLU is really good. 

bbtds

Just saw this posted on the Saint Louis board:

Look at Butler, if those 2 seasons (Final Four seasons) were one and done, we look at them the way we look at Valpo.

I suppose I understand this SLU poster's thinking but that hit like a dagger since Valpo started out a lot like Butler started and were rivals.

VULB#62

Oh, to have back Nebraska, Oakland and Loyola.  With those three in the win column, we'd be 27-4.  And even if we were to lose in the HL final in a tight one, we might have squeaked in as an at-large, no?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on March 03, 2013, 03:45:19 AMLook at Butler, if those 2 seasons (Final Four seasons) were one and done, we look at them the way we look at Valpo.

how embarrassing for that ignorant fan.  look, if YOU hadn't been last year, and won a game, we'd be looking at SLU the way we look at Valpo.

('cept without the love in our eyes, of course.)

EDIT:  no, wait, check that.  you have won precisely the same number of NCAA games as we have since 1996.  if you weren't Catholic, you'd never be invited to the C-7.  you're ridiculous.

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 03, 2013, 07:57:00 AM
Oh, to have back Nebraska, Oakland and Loyola.  With those three in the win column, we'd be 27-4.  And even if we were to lose in the HL final in a tight one, we might have squeaked in as an at-large, no?

We had a huge 20 point comeback to Detroit,  a comeback to Wright State, and a late game miracle at Kent State that all could have been in the loss column easily.

VULB#62

Quote from: a3uge on March 03, 2013, 09:39:08 AM

We had a huge 20 point comeback to Detroit,  a comeback to Wright State, and a late game miracle at Kent State that all could have been in the loss column easily.
True, but IF we were 27-4 now in the scenario I mentioned, might we squeak in as an at-large is all I'm asking?  OOC SOS might be a problem.

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 03, 2013, 09:32:32 AM
Quote from: bbtds on March 03, 2013, 03:45:19 AMLook at Butler, if those 2 seasons (Final Four seasons) were one and done, we look at them the way we look at Valpo.

how embarrassing for that ignorant fan.  look, if YOU hadn't been last year, and won a game, we'd be looking at SLU the way we look at Valpo.

('cept without the love in our eyes, of course.)

EDIT:  no, wait, check that.  you have won precisely the same number of NCAA games as we have since 1996.  if you weren't Catholic, you'd never be invited to the C-7.  you're ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure the average fan doesn't know SLU has a decent basketball team. They will remember Butler for their 2 large runs,  and people will not forget that. Look at  UWM...  they made the sweet 16 a couple years back and that name is completely lost in the eyes of an average fan. That guys acting like they have made continuous sweet 16 runs and tournament appearances.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on March 03, 2013, 09:49:19 AMQuote from: bbtds on Today at 04:45:19 AM
Look at Butler, if those 2 seasons (Final Four seasons) were one and done, we look at them the way we look at Valpo.

Look at Germany, if those 2 wars (the World ones) were won and done, we look at them the way we look at the US.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 03, 2013, 09:42:27 AM

True, but IF we were 27-4 now in the scenario I mentioned, might we squeak in as an at-large is all I'm asking?  OOC SOS might be a problem.

I don't know, but you can bet it would be a huge (and exciting) topic of discussion on our board about now.  It's too bad we weren't playing then the way we are now - probably none of the OOC losses you mentioned would have occurred.  We would probably be thinking about a better seed than 12-15, as well. That said, we're peaking at the right time and there is much to be positive about.

wh

Interesting comment from Jeff Goodman (College Basketball Insider) in the aftermath of yesterday's VCU win over Butler:

VCU is the superior team, though. Butler has had its share of impressive wins this season, but this could be Stevens' most impressive regular-season coaching job. There are no Gordon Haywards, Shelvin Macks or even Matt Howards in this group -- and he's no longer feasting on Horizon League cupcakes. There was no one to handle the Rams' vaunted press.

Apparently, Jeff isn't aware that Butler also struggled last year in the "lowly" Horizon League.  Not only did they not "feast" on HL cupcakes, 2 teams - Valpo and Detroit - feasted on them.  Butler lost all 5 games by an average of 10 points.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21799127/vcus-beatdown-of-butler-a-showing-of-what-the-a-10-gained-will-lose

valpotx

He would also know that during their last championship game run, they lost to Valpo as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Yet another well researched article.  Stevens has done an impressive job however, taking his team from fourth in the Horizon to fourth in the A-10.  ;)

covufan

Quote from: wh on March 03, 2013, 06:59:40 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 03, 2013, 09:42:27 AM

I don't know, but you can bet it would be a huge (and exciting) topic of discussion on our board about now.  It's too bad we weren't playing then the way we are now - probably none of the OOC losses you mentioned would have occurred.  We would probably be thinking about a better seed than 12-15, as well. That said, we're peaking at the right time and there is much to be positive about.
Yes, much to be positive about.  We need to get this winning streak up to 8!

Those three losses, as well as the YSU loss, are all games that Butler during their streak would find ways to win.