• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Banners Within Banners

Started by KL31NY, February 08, 2013, 10:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KL31NY

Just noticed the new banner. That is tight! Good work!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

VULB#62

Great Idea!

Not being critical and not having been in the ARC, but I have a couple of questions about the banners themselves.

Are these photos of real banners or are they artistic renderings?  That is, are these really hanging in the ARC?  Or do they literally only fly amongst the 'digital' rafters?

Technically Men's Soccer won their championship in 2011 (assume the 2012 on the banner implies 2011-2012 academic year(?)

Why is Bowling prefaced by 'Women's' on the NCAA banner?  It is a women-only sport at Valpo.  'Women's Softball' does not appear on the same banner.

Why couldn't we have done without the word 'participant'  on the NCAA and the NIT banners?  Participant sounds so nebulous and kinda lame.  In both cases just listing the sport would have implied that we did indeed participate.

Just wondering.

valpopal

Some fine writing about older banner years and the rivalry with ORU:

http://www.midmajority.com/p/3378

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 08, 2013, 11:20:33 AM
Great Idea!

Not being critical and not having been in the ARC, but I have a couple of questions about the banners themselves.

Are these photos of real banners or are they artistic renderings?  That is, are these really hanging in the ARC?  Or do they literally only fly amongst the 'digital' rafters?

Technically Men's Soccer won their championship in 2011 (assume the 2012 on the banner implies 2011-2012 academic year(?)

Why is Bowling prefaced by 'Women's' on the NCAA banner?  It is a women-only sport at Valpo.  'Women's Softball' does not appear on the same banner.Why couldn't we have done without the word 'participant'  on the NCAA and the NIT banners?  Participant sounds so nebulous and kinda lame.  In both cases just listing the sport would have implied that we did indeed participate.

Just wondering.

Yes, bowling is a women's only sport at Valpo. I suppose you have a good point about the need or lack thereof of the word women's. Softball is just softball, there is only one team and the same goes for bowling.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

KL31NY

NCAA uses "Women's Bowling" and "Bowling" without an exact pattern that I can find, so I don't get into a tizzy about it. In these cases, I'm usually just offended when an NCAA-sanctioned sport is for both genders and they referred to along the lines of "Basketball" and "Women's Basketball"

I assume the logos on the banners are similar if not exact to what they would look like on any actual banners that may be in the ARC, just with the various sports details added underneath. Still pretty fun, though
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpo04

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 08, 2013, 11:20:33 AM
Great Idea!

Why is Bowling prefaced by 'Women's' on the NCAA banner?  It is a women-only sport at Valpo.  'Women's Softball' does not appear on the same banner.

Why couldn't we have done without the word 'participant'  on the NCAA and the NIT banners?  Participant sounds so nebulous and kinda lame.  In both cases just listing the sport would have implied that we did indeed participate.

Just wondering.

Well, we certainly didn't expect this level of scrutiny!   ;)

An update will be made  :thumbsup:

bbtds

Quote from: valpo04 on February 09, 2013, 08:03:41 AMWell, we certainly didn't expect this level of scrutiny!   

Really! Scrutiny is this board's middle name.  Valpo Fans' Scrutiny Zone.

Never mind.

LaPorteAveApostle

top notch job, 04.  thanks.

hopefully wh won't complain about placement ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 08, 2013, 11:20:33 AMNot being critical and not having been in the ARC, but I have a couple of questions about the banners themselves.

For those who haven't been able to visit the ARC, here is a recent photo I took of the banners hanging in the main lobby:

VULB#62

O4 don't worry about the scrutiny  ;)  .  As bbtds mentioned that our middle name on this forum. Pal thank you so much for that photo. Impressive as heck.  As an alum, if I were to walk into that lobby (and maybe I will in the near future), I'd pop the buttons on my shirt. 

historyman

Quote from: valpopal on February 09, 2013, 03:45:40 PMFor those who haven't been able to visit the ARC, here is a recent photo I took of the banners hanging in the main lobby:
Didn't one of the ESPN broadcasts actually show that main lobby during a break in the action? If someone in the athletic department had mentioned that there were banners on the ceiling (I don't remember the camera panning up to the ceiling) those banners could have been shown on the broadcast regardless of whether they were inside the ARC main floor or not.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann