• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Chapel renovations and addition

Started by okinawatyphoon, May 04, 2011, 04:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okinawatyphoon

A $15 million gift has been donated to the university to support Chapel operations and renovations. It was donated by Rev Mark and Kathy Helge, and is one of the largest gifts in university history. The nave windows will be replaced, and some plumbing and technology issues will be addressed. Also, a 9000 sq ft addition will be constructed. More details at the link.

http://www.valpo.edu/news/news.php?releaseId=4640
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

vu72

What a fantastic gift to Valpo!!  It seems that Pastor's are much better paid than in year's past!!  We alumni need to be especially grateful for this most generous gift to enhance and preserve this most important part of the Universities culture!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuweathernerd

as somebody who spent much time over the last few years in the chapel, i'm very excited for this. there's some great plans laid out in the news release.

okinawatyphoon

I wonder how a 9000 sq ft addition would fit into the overall architecture of the current chapel, but I assume that a lot of care will be taken to ensure it still remains a landmark. I am actually really looking forward to the exterior renovations such as sidewalk and brick work.

vuweathernerd

anybody know when this project is slated to start? i'm gonna be on campus briefly in a few weekends, and am curious as to whether or not the work will have started by then.

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 08, 2011, 07:36:30 PM
anybody know when this project is slated to start? i'm gonna be on campus briefly in a few weekends, and am curious as to whether or not the work will have started by then.
I doubt it will start that soon. They mentioned that they don't have drawings yet, so I'm guessing they haven't selected an architect or anything yet.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on May 08, 2011, 08:30:42 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 08, 2011, 07:36:30 PM
I doubt it will start that soon. They mentioned that they don't have drawings yet, so I'm guessing they haven't selected an architect or anything yet.

valid point. i guess i'm too eager for this to be done and trying to speed things up... darn.

agibson

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on May 08, 2011, 05:56:46 PM
I wonder how a 9000 sq ft addition would fit into the overall architecture of the current chapel, but I assume that a lot of care will be taken to ensure it still remains a landmark. I am actually really looking forward to the exterior renovations such as sidewalk and brick work.

Yeah, I really wonder where they'll put it.  Adjacent to the existing office space upstairs would...  push it out onto the existing sidewalk/plaza.  Maybe.

Adjacent to the nave would be a little strange, but I guess it could go in the grass either to the north or south.

Adjacent to the undercroft seems unlikely.

Adjacent to Gloria Christi and the office space there?  Hmm...

78crusader

They might have some rough drawings done already.  The press release  mentioned a 9,000 sq. ft. addition -- why pick that figure unless some preliminary work/drawings had already been done?

This means, to me anyway, that it will be even less likely the new dorm will go up on the Huegli Hall site.  I'm guessing the Chapel work will begin sometime in 2012.  That is the same year the work on the new dorm will probably begin since Pres Heckler mentioned the dorm would be ready by fall 2013.  I doubt the university will want to inconvenience everyone by having two building projects going up at the same time in the main part of campus.  I would guess the new dorm will go where the 1986 Master Plan envisioned it going -- to the south of Guild Memorial.  Paul

mj

This is a little off topic but I didn't want to start a new thread. Has anyone seen the new posters in the Chapel? I was looking at pictures from Convocation and they seem to have the advertising posters with student pictures up on the Chapel walls.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/valparaiso_university/6077520901/#

Maybe I'm old school but that really rubs me the wrong way.
I believe that we will win.

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: mj on August 25, 2011, 04:33:59 PM
This is a little off topic but I didn't want to start a new thread. Has anyone seen the new posters in the Chapel? I was looking at pictures from Convocation and they seem to have the advertising posters with student pictures up on the Chapel walls.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/valparaiso_university/6077520901/#

Maybe I'm old school but that really rubs me the wrong way.

It's part of the new marketing campaign. They are pretty neat looking in person.

mj

QuoteIt's part of the new marketing campaign. They are pretty neat looking in person.

I don't have a problem with the posters themselves. I have a problem with where they are located. The new marketing campaign shouldn't include putting advertisements inside the church. It's poor taste and shows a lack of respect.

valporun

Quote from: mj on August 25, 2011, 10:23:39 PM
QuoteIt's part of the new marketing campaign. They are pretty neat looking in person.

I don't have a problem with the posters themselves. I have a problem with where they are located. The new marketing campaign shouldn't include putting advertisements inside the church. It's poor taste and shows a lack of respect.

Are they permanent, or were they just in the Chapel for Opening Convocation? Knowing Pastors Cunningham and Wetstein, I can't imagine/believe that they would allow that to be up for more than just convocation.

okinawatyphoon

Pretty sure they aren't permanent. And they aren't really advertisements, they are more like inspirational posters.

historyman

Quote from: valporun on August 26, 2011, 02:30:24 AM
Quote from: mj on August 25, 2011, 10:23:39 PM

Are they permanent, or were they just in the Chapel for Opening Convocation? Knowing Pastors Cunningham and Wetstein, I can't imagine/believe that they would allow that to be up for more than just convocation.

Since you are not aware Pastor Cunningham is no longer at Valpo and Pastor Wetstein is in charge.

I also heard that the money for the chapel is coming from an Aunt of Pastor Helge. This Aunt was an executive with A.I.G. Since so much "bad" feelings surrounded the bonus money that these executives received she gave the money to her nephew, a pastor, who in turn donated it to a project very close to his heart. It does make one feel good about how some of that A.I.G. money will be used.

As far as the posters in the chapel it doesn't really bother me. There have been times that full stages have been set up in the altar area of the chapel and this has been much more distracting then some posters on the top floor. Many churches use their sanctuary for many other uses and I think the university is getting full use of the chapel building and seating. 

agibson

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on August 26, 2011, 05:40:40 AM
Pretty sure they aren't permanent. And they aren't really advertisements, they are more like inspirational posters.

They're already down.  They were pretty neat looking banners.  And, yes, my first reaction also was, "In the chapel?  Hmm..."  Maybe it won't make me many friends, but I also wasn't crazy about the US flag in the processional, into the chapel.  (I'm proud to be an American, and I'm grateful for the freedom to worship as I choose.  But, I'd prefer not to have nationalistic banners in my place of worship.)

I'm not wild about singing the Alma Mater (speaking somewhat cynically, it's basically a hymn to Valparaiso University) in the chapel, either.

I think historyman's "Many churches use their sanctuary for many other uses" is pretty close to the mark.  Convocation's an odd ceremony.  It's a slightly odd combination of a university/academic ceremony, a religious ceremony, and maybe now in some sense a civic ceremony.  So, a lot goes on that probably wouldn't happen in morning prayer, or on a Sunday morning. 

valpofan56

This whole conversation is completely off base.  The Chapel is a dual purpose building and has always had that distinction.  You need to look at the event before you judge what is happening.  There is no other building on campus, besides the ARC, that can hold a majority of the students and faculty for university-wide events. For example, just because it was in the chapel, I didn't expect to hear a sermon at my December graduation a few years ago.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on August 26, 2011, 10:36:24 AM
Maybe it won't make me many friends, but I also wasn't crazy about the US flag in the processional, into the chapel.  (I'm proud to be an American, and I'm grateful for the freedom to worship as I choose.  But, I'd prefer not to have nationalistic banners in my place of worship.)

:thumbsup:

agibson

Quote from: valpofan56 on August 26, 2011, 11:26:39 AM
For example, just because it was in the chapel, I didn't expect to hear a sermon at my December graduation a few years ago.

December graduation's a fine example.  And, I agree, there's no reason the Chapel has to be reserved for only religious events (I've worshiped plenty of time in gymnaisums, etc.).  I'll have to see what I think the next I attend a graduation ceremony.  But, I suspect the distinction is somewhat clearer there.  For May graduations, at least, there's a whole separate religious event: the baccalaureate service.

So, the graduation ceremony itself isn't _absent_ of religious content (there's likely to be an invocation, or a prayer, etc.) but it's primarily an academic event.

For me, convocation is (intentionally, I suspect) a more mixed event.  And, I think, this is what causes some of my discomfort.

valpofan56

Quote from: agibson on August 26, 2011, 01:04:01 PM
Quote from: valpofan56 on August 26, 2011, 11:26:39 AM
For example, just because it was in the chapel, I didn't expect to hear a sermon at my December graduation a few years ago.

December graduation's a fine example.  And, I agree, there's no reason the Chapel has to be reserved for only religious events (I've worshiped plenty of time in gymnaisums, etc.).  I'll have to see what I think the next I attend a graduation ceremony.  But, I suspect the distinction is somewhat clearer there.  For May graduations, at least, there's a whole separate religious event: the baccalaureate service.

So, the graduation ceremony itself isn't _absent_ of religious content (there's likely to be an invocation, or a prayer, etc.) but it's primarily an academic event.

For me, convocation is (intentionally, I suspect) a more mixed event.  And, I think, this is what causes some of my discomfort.

I agree, Opening Convocation is a perfect example of a combined religious and academic event and therefore I don't think it's at all unreasonable to see both secular (flag, advertisements) and non-secular representations (hymns and prayers) present together. I think that Valpo's ability to not get bogged down in either area is part of its charm (at least it was for me). When outsiders have asked me about the religious atmosphere at Valpo, I have always said the same thing: Valpo is as religious as you want it to be; which, in my opinion is great!

mj

I'm not saying the Chapel should only be used for religious events. What I'm saying is that it's still a church even when used for other things. It's still a sacred place even when a religious ceremony isn't going on. A giant picture of a student shouldn't be put up along side the cross.

agibson

I'm kind of right there with mj _and_ valpofan56.  I think it's totally OK to use the chapel for a non-religious event.  And, I'm (maybe a little more reluctantly) OK with a combined academic-religious event.  It is a Lutheran university, after all.

But, maybe like mj, I'm sort of intuitively uncomfortable with some aspects of the mixture.  Intellectually, I think it's probably OK.  But, intuitively, I still cringe a little.

valporun

First of all, I didn't realize that Pastor Cunningham was no longer the University Pastor.

In terms of the difference in what the Chapel is...it is the focal point of the University, and was made to be used as a multi-purpose facility. If the Chapel wasn't meant to hold convocation, December graduation, and university concerts, then the University Theater would have a lot more seats, and maybe not housed within the VUCA?

As a few others have mentioned here, the posters/advertising has since been removed from the walls. In my view of what it looked on the aspect of its use, I think it had something to do with showing the freshmen more of what Valpo is about, and the Chapel isn't just about it's Lutheran values, but it is about the people that come in to Valparaiso University to become leaders in our world.

vuweathernerd

pastor c left about a year ago, now to pursue other ministerial opportunities. made things quite interesting for those left. but luckily, the staff has named their new pastor, and she'll be installed tomorrow afternoon at 3pm in the chapel. if you can make it, i'm sure the whole staff would be appreciative of the support.

historyman

Here's the link to the story on the installation of the new ELCA university pastor, Charlene Cox. She graduated from Augustana SD in 1987, Luther Seminary, St.Paul (Master of Divinity) in 1991, and earned a Master of Sacred Theology degree from Gettysburg Seminary in 2008. She has spent time as a campus pastor at Grand View University in Des Moines (the previous 2 years), Waldorf College in Forest City, IA (5 years) and at University Lutheran Ministries of Illinois State University in Normal, IL (3 years)

http://www.valpo.edu/news/news.php?releaseId=4661