• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Chapel renovations and addition

Started by okinawatyphoon, May 04, 2011, 04:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Responding to some of the posts in the other thread.

It's my (hazy) impression that work on the windows, and maybe the heating (and cooling?) system will be this summer.  But, that the pew replacement will come later... next summer?  Not sure if that will be part of the expansion campaign, or a separate project.

They talked to several architectural firms this year, they had a brainstorming meeting with students, but I haven't heard any details.  Nor have I seen any details on the chairs - certainly no picture.  It's possible that there are firmer details around - I'm not 100% plugged in.  But, I have had my ears moderately open.

I definitely have some affection for the pews, and am wary of chairs.  I wonder if they'll be organ recital compatible!  I'll be curious to see how they look, how they operate, and whether it adds anything (or detracts!) to the flexibility of the space.

valporun

I would much rather have the pews over chairs because you start having issues with having to update upholstery with the chairs. I also like the pews because they give more of a closeness that friends endure for, or even those couples who attend chapel services/activities together. The chairs might be easier for removal for orchestra/band/choral concerts because they could be stacked along the walls in the back of the chapel, instead of maybe 10-12 pews lining the walls, but the pews have more of a chapel feel, not a modern megachurch look like the chairs would bring. It is a minor thing in the long term of this project, but honestly while change is necessary at times, the pews can have more history to talk about than a chair in a church. How often to you tell stories of being in the Chapel or your home congregation, and refer to 500+ people sitting in the pews, over a few hundred sitting in chairs? Pews are a part of a church, chairs are more for meetings, offices, board rooms, not sanctuary spaces where you're more in communion about what God is working in your life, not in board rooms where you're trying to make money for a company that might not care about you in return.

FWalum

Quote from: valporun on May 03, 2012, 11:08:37 AM
I would much rather have the pews over chairs because you start having issues with having to update upholstery with the chairs. I also like the pews because they give more of a closeness that friends endure for, or even those couples who attend chapel services/activities together. The chairs might be easier for removal for orchestra/band/choral concerts because they could be stacked along the walls in the back of the chapel, instead of maybe 10-12 pews lining the walls, but the pews have more of a chapel feel, not a modern megachurch look like the chairs would bring. It is a minor thing in the long term of this project, but honestly while change is necessary at times, the pews can have more history to talk about than a chair in a church. How often to you tell stories of being in the Chapel or your home congregation, and refer to 500+ people sitting in the pews, over a few hundred sitting in chairs? Pews are a part of a church, chairs are more for meetings, offices, board rooms, not sanctuary spaces where you're more in communion about what God is working in your life, not in board rooms where you're trying to make money for a company that might not care about you in return.
I agree completely, pews have a feel of permanence, endurance and order that chairs just can not give to a space.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

The two people who are funding the renovation are both clergy.  I'm guessing they, in conjunction with our current pastor roster will have much to say about the final decision.

My current church has pews, complete with kneelers, and the church where I was a member for the previous 10 years had chairs.  Can't say that I have an opinion one way or another.  If you listen to the process that was completed at St. Paul's in New York City, you may come away with a different idea about chairs.  Who knows...

I've posted this before but it was a while ago:

http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/news/slideshows/pews
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

StlVUFan

Quote from: vu72 on May 03, 2012, 12:43:25 PM
The two people who are funding the renovation are both clergy.  I'm guessing they, in conjunction with our current pastor roster will have much to say about the final decision.

My current church has pews, complete with kneelers, and the church where I was a member for the previous 10 years had chairs.  Can't say that I have an opinion one way or another.  If you listen to the process that was completed at St. Paul's in New York City, you may come away with a different idea about chairs.  Who knows...

I've posted this before but it was a while ago:

http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/news/slideshows/pews

I'm used to pews myself, but I've been to churches where chairs are used.

I'm an Article 7&8 kinda guy about all this, myself ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augsburg_Confession#The_28_articles
QuoteVII    Of The Church    Lutherans believe that there is one holy catholic church, and it is found wherever the gospel is preached in its truth and purity and the sacraments are administered according to the gospel.
VIII    What The Church Is    Despite what hypocrisy may exist in the church (and among men), the Word and the Sacraments are always valid because they are instituted by Christ, no matter what the sins may be of the man who administers them.

Actually, the version I learned could basically be paraphrased: "All that is necessary for the church of Christ is that THE gospel is preached and the sacraments are administered in accordance with that gospel.  All else is negotiable."  Chairs?  Pews?  Whatever works best.

FWalum

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 03, 2012, 12:52:00 PM"All that is necessary for the church of Christ is that THE gospel is preached and the sacraments are administered in accordance with that gospel.  All else is negotiable."  Chairs?  Pews?  Whatever works best.
I guess you put me in my proper place place with that quote.   ;D  I am just a little biased to the traditional pew because of my membership at one of the Missouri Synod's mother churches.  As you can see we have some pretty neat looking pews.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

StlVUFan

I grew up in the Missouri Synod too, and prefer pews.  Just making the point that it's adiaphora

bbtds

Our church has both pews in the middle and chairs on the sides. My wife won't sit in the pews because her shorter than average legs can't touch the floor when she sits in the pews.

okinawatyphoon

Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

VULB#62

The rust on the exterior windows alone supports the effort.  Thanks for the pics.  It's been a while since I was back there.  Best memories -- Greek songfest (we did OK but PKA won -- again) and being a best man at a wedding at the chapel.  Quite a building.  Thanks for the flashback.

agibson

The last issue of the Torch (now available online, I think?) discussed some of the controversy that seems to have erupted in the last weeks (late arriving?) on campus re pews.

Sounds like they're (re-?)discuss the issue in the fall.

vu72

Quote from: agibson on May 23, 2012, 04:28:03 PM
The last issue of the Torch (now available online, I think?) discussed some of the controversy that seems to have erupted in the last weeks (late arriving?) on campus re pews.

http://www.valpotorch.com/news/vu_news/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on May 23, 2012, 04:28:03 PM

LaPorte, too slow.

So the pew issue is raising a stink?

I wonder how long it will take to clear the air on this one.

okinawatyphoon

Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

LaPorteAveApostle

Forgive me, bbtds, I don't follow this thread closely enough to smell the puns.

Plus Protestant theology makes me feel down and melancthony.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 05, 2012, 09:30:48 PM
Forgive me, bbtds, I don't follow this thread closely enough to smell the puns.

Plus Protestant theology makes me feel down and melancthony.

Don't tell me you are a Roman Apostle!   :o

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on June 06, 2012, 05:27:44 PMDon't tell me you are a Roman Apostle!

Both my faith and my sense of humor compel me to say that there aren't any other kind of apostles ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 05, 2012, 09:30:48 PMPlus Protestant theology makes me feel down and melancthony.

Fantastic!  Really terrific.

You get a +1 from the pastor in my family (Lutheran, sorry?), as well.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on June 13, 2012, 09:53:16 PMFantastic!  Really terrific.

Thank you.  You made my night.

In honor of my being here, I have to pass along something that you'll think I'm making up, but I bet the internet will back me up:

in Powhatan County, VA (just outside Richmond) I learned that the merger of two private religious schools have created a single one named:

the Blessed Sacrament Hugenots Academy.

I kid you not.  Sounds like one of my (or bbtds') jokes.  But it ain't. 

vu72

I'll leave it as "worshiping the worship"  No need to add anything about Holy,Blessed or Sacred to this comment!  ;)

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 13, 2012, 10:41:00 PM
the Blessed Sacrament Hugenots Academy.

Also nice!

A dozen years ago Lutherans and Roman Catholics got together and managed to say, "You know, 500 years ago when we said you were going to hell?  You're not those same people any more."

So, who knows, maybe the Hugenots and the RC can get along now as well.

LaPorteAveApostle

the late great Fr. Neuhaus would be proud!

covufan

LaPorteAveApostle

Huge Knotz...school is sponsored by a Bavarian pretzel maker.

covufan