• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Brad Stevens leaves Butler to coach Boston Celtics

Started by valpo04, July 03, 2013, 04:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo04

Brad Stevens will be the next coach of the Boston Celtics, Butler University announced in a press release Wednesday.

Stevens, who just finished sixth season at the school, led the Bulldogs to consecutive national title games in 2010 and 2011.

"Our family is thrilled for the opportunity given to us by the leadership of the Boston Celtics, but it is emotional to leave a place that we have called home for the past 13 years," Stevens said in a statement.

"We truly love Butler University and Indianapolis, and are very thankful to have had the opportunity to celebrate so many wonderful things together. What makes Butler truly unique is the people that we have been so blessed to work with. When it comes time for our kids to look at schools, we will start with Butler University." Stevens and his wife, Tracy, have a young son and daughter.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/celtics/2013/07/03/brad-stevens-boston-celtics-coach/2487881/

LaPorteAveApostle

ummmmmmmmmmmm

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY DID YOU DO THAT?!?!?

(incidentally, the #1 google image hit for "brad stevens freak out", above, is actually from our site, from my Valpo Memes page. so. there's that.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Wow.  I never considered that the NBA would be after him, or that he would be interested.  Congrats to him, and his bank account!

valpotx

Wow, didn't see that coming.  Hopefully Butler doesn't want to take away any of our coaches  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on July 03, 2013, 05:44:17 PM
Wow, didn't see that coming.  Hopefully Butler doesn't want to take away any of our coaches  :)
I doubt it - they do it the Butler way!  Or did the Butler do it?

valpopal

Already heard Bryce Drew mentioned as a possibility to replace Stevens on a radio sports program in Indy. :(

Then again, Scott Drew is the Butler alum!  ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on July 03, 2013, 06:04:34 PMAlready heard Bryce Drew mentioned as a possibility to replace Stevens on a radio sports program in Indy.
I would think that Bryce knows that this would be the one unpardonable sin against the Holy Spirit.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

This move is very shocking to hear. The Baby Assassin coach hit the jackpot.  How he adjusts to the NBA will be interesting.  However, the Celtics management has been very successful for a long time, so we will see.

As for Bryce, I see him going to ND or Depaul before Butler.

bmlvu97

I have a feeling that Bryce's phone is already ringing...Hopefully the university has the checkbook ready just in case...
Brian M. Lenz
Valpo Class of 1997

LaPorteAveApostle

Baby Assassin?  Hmm...well you'd think one of those would fit it great in New England these days.

At any rate, Bob Kravitz either knows something we don't know, or is an idiot.  You decide:
QuoteThis is a blow to the program, quite clearly, especially when they're [Butler] on the cusp of stepping up a weight class to enter the Big Ten.
http://www.indystar.com/article/20130703/SPORTS0605/307030108/Bob-Kravitz-Butler-coach-Brad-Stevens-his-decision-join-Boston-Celtics

vu72

One silly move after another by Boston. First they trade Garnett and Pierce and probably Rondo as well as their coach, and now, hire a kid with a total of six years experience? My guess is he makes a move to get Howard on his team as he is the reason for his new position.  Look, the guy finished third or fourth in the Horizon and then third or fourth in the A-10 over the last two years.  Ex Matt Howard and Gordon Hayward he has accomplished what??

Now, a 36 year old is not trying to convinced high school kids about the family environment, high academics and small class size of Butler but rather dealing with a bunch of guys nearly his age (or older) who are wondering when he started to shave.

Notwithstanding his sizable contract, this will be a disaster for both parties.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

If I'm Butler, Bryce is on my short list.  Kinda worried.

Paul

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on July 03, 2013, 06:04:34 PM
Already heard Bryce Drew mentioned as a possibility to replace Stevens on a radio sports program in Indy. :(

Then again, Scott Drew is the Butler alum!  ;)

Saw this on the Butler board:

Just saw on ESPN that Brad's contract is for 6 years/$22 million.

Happy for Brad. Absolutely hate the timing. I've seen LaVall's name come up, and Brandon Miller as well. Anyone thing
[sic] that Barry might take a look at someone like a Bryce Drew?

I don't think Bryce wants the Butler job because it's just slightly better than the Mississippi State job. The thing it has going for it is that Butler is in Indiana. Bryce would have to get the kind of money Butler was paying Brad Stevens in order to go to Butler.

Also this may be a bad move by Boston, only time will tell, but it's not a bad move by Stevens as he will be making close to $4 million a year and if he fails in the NBA he can come back to the college ranks like Pitino, Calipari and many others and be very successful and make a ton of money. When he comes back to the college ranks he might make a little less per year but he can go to BCS program right away.

valpopal

Seriously and selfishly, I am thinking rather than select Bryce, Butler would follow its past patterns and choose someone molded within their system, most likely LaVall Jordan or Brandon Miller, both of whom seem prepared to step up.

I'll take a shot and offer my best guess that Butler will choose LaVall Jordan, and the school will enter the Big East with an African American head coach.

wh

I think Butler was going to struggle this year, even with Stevens.  They lost a lot from last year's team and have not recruited up to the level of several other programs in the new Big East.  Plus, who knows but what one or more of their new recruits will leave now that Stevens has pulled out and left them high and dry. Whoever takes over could be in for a rough ride.  I can't imagine Bryce being interested in even having a conversation with anyone from Butler.  The same probably goes for any number of other successful D-1 coaches -  maybe 2 months ago, but not now that they've already started into a new season.  The bottom line is I think Butler will be looking to land the best asst. coach they can find in D-1.   

valpotx

I will say that if Bryce even interviews for the Butler job, it is a huge fail on the part of our athletic department.  That is the one job our administration should make sure we don't lose anyone to
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

A New Englander's input: 

What was Ainge smoking?????  Stevens has proven his worth at the college level -- that's a no brainer.  But  Boston?  That's a pressure cooker unlike any other than NYC.  He will be consumed................................. But when he is fired he will have, at 38 (I give him 2 years before he and Ainge are esorted out of town on a rail, millions of $$$ and not have to work again for the rest of his life.

Butler hires from within.  Bryce may be discused but he will stay at Valpo.  IF.. IF.. IF.. IF.. the admisistration sees the potential, this turn of events could push Valpo to the top of the BB ladder in Indiana for non-B1G programs. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on July 03, 2013, 11:05:43 PMin the new Big East
c'mon, wh, i posted the Kravitz link mostly for you.  figured you'd be all over that.

usc4valpo

Quote from: vu72 on July 03, 2013, 09:09:19 PMOne silly move after another by Boston. First they trade Garnett and Pierce and probably Rondo as well as their coach, and now, hire a kid with a total of six years experience? My guess is he makes a move to get Howard on his team as he is the reason for his new position. Look, the guy finished third or fourth in the Horizon and then third or fourth in the A-10 over the last two years. Ex Matt Howard and Gordon Hayward he has accomplished what?? Now, a 36 year old is not trying to convinced high school kids about the family environment, high academics and small class size of Butler but rather dealing with a bunch of guys nearly his age (or older) who are wondering when he started to shave. Notwithstanding his sizable contract, this will be a disaster for both parties.
Hmm...I am not sure I agree.  The Celtics throughout time have made radical decisions and have been more more successful with them than not.  Garnett and Pierce are in the twilight of their careers, and with their current staff they are not close to compete for an NBA title.  In the NBA, a bad place is to be a ritual 7th or 8th seed with no stars inthe pipeline.  In general, regarding the Celtics, they have had tremendous success and they have made many more better moves than mistakes.

As for Stevens - how do you really say he has not succeeded?    Butler was in 2 national championship games and almost won.  Looking back, that is incredible, more impressive than what Calipari, Crean and Izzo have done.   Their talent compared to their competition in later tournament games was much inferior but they were better teams.  Stevens' job perfromance at Butler was remarkable and higher exceeded expectations.  Something tells me the Celtics are being clever in this decision - Stevens is not a goofball like Westhead, Calipari or some of these other college coaches who failed who coaching ion the NBA.  We will see.

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 04, 2013, 10:00:49 AM
Quote from: wh on July 03, 2013, 11:05:43 PMin the new Big East
c'mon, wh, i posted the Kravitz link mostly for you.  figured you'd be all over that.

Missed it. Too late now - it has to be spontaneous.  ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on July 04, 2013, 02:25:03 PMMissed it. Too late now - it has to be spontaneous.
They fixed the typo too, but it was too good.  Should have screenshotted for any doubters.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on July 03, 2013, 11:05:43 PMPlus, who knows but what one or more of their new recruits will leave now that Stevens has pulled out and left them high and dry. Whoever takes over could be in for a rough ride.

Quote from Nolan Berry, incoming Butler freshman player from DeSmet High School in St Louis:
"I'm a little bit surprised. His name has been out there for a while, though, so you knew it would always been an option for him to leave.

"He actually called me. We were going to have a team meeting and I couldn't make it. He said he was sorry to leave. I'm grateful for him recruiting me and having the chance to play for him, even for a couple weeks.

"I don't really have a plan. I'm coming back on Sunday. I'm just going to take my time and see who they hire and see what happens. I'll keep my options open."

setshot

Stevens is a bad fit for Boston. He not only lacks NBA experience,he's also a cultural misfit. The "Hick from French Lick" made it as a player,but a clodhooper Hoosier basketball coach - give me a break.In two or three years from now Stevens will be standing on the banks of the Wabash wishing he was back home again. Book it!