• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Brad Stevens leaves Butler to coach Boston Celtics

Started by valpo04, July 03, 2013, 04:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HC

With $22,000,000....a great move by Stevens, not so sure if it was or Boston. When he's fired in 4 or 5 years he will go be the HC at Duke or IU.

a3uge

Not sure why everyone here seems bitter... We finally have a chance to make fun of Butler for being obsessed with someone who left them after Butler fans have been railing against Valpo fans for being so fixated on someone whom they've left. I think the whole thing is incredibly hilarious and I can't wait to read all the threads on their forums about how the Celtics are doing.

As for Boston: they could put the towel boy in as coach, and it wouldn't really make a difference. Coaches in the NBA are pretty pointless.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

vu72

Not bitter but curious that's all.  Why Boston would take a 22 million dollar chance on a guy with no pro experience.  Bryce would have been a better choice.  Part of the style that made Brad successful included a slow down, many passes, share the ball offense and very tough defense.  It gave his teams the ability to stay close and win in the end.  Very seldom did his team beat the crap out of anybody (like 115 to 60 ala Detroit v. YSU last year) and on the flip side very few teams scored a bunch either.  None of that style, which to his credit worked very well particularly against teams with NBA talent, will succeed in the NBA.  Very little defense (except in the playoffs), offenses that are more Detroit like than Butler as well as a shorter shot clock and the desire by most to shoot as soon as they get the ball.

I certainly think Brad made the right choice for his family and as others have pointed out, win lose or draw he can always come back to a fat paycheck in college.  The money being tossed around is almost offensive to me. I certainly won't pay for tickets to support the rediculous salaries out there.  And to think, Willie Mays never made more than $100,000.  Wow.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

ARCInsider

Quote from: vu72 on July 05, 2013, 12:02:46 PM
Not bitter but curious that's all.  Why Boston would take a 22 million dollar chance on a guy with no pro experience.  Bryce would have been a better choice. 

Ok, now you've gone off the deep end.  :)   I like Bryce as much as the next guy, and I think Brad will fail in Boston as much as the next guy, but Brad Stevens has done unprecedented things at a mid-major. 

wh

Quote from: ARCInsider on July 05, 2013, 02:18:55 PM
Not bitter but curious that's all.  Why Boston would take a 22 million dollar chance on a guy with no pro experience.  Bryce would have been a better choice. 

Ok, now you've gone off the deep end.  :)   ToupI like Bryce as much as the next guy, and I think Brad will fail in Boston as much as the next guy, but Brad Stevens has done unprecedented things at a mid-major. 

Stevens claim to fame is taking one set of players on one mid-major college team to back-to-back national championship games.  It was a phenomenal accomplishment that will never be duplicated by any mid major program - ever.  That said, how in the world does that  translate into him being the best choice in the whole basketball world to become the head coach of the Boston Celtics of the NBA?  To '72's point, I agree that Bryce is 10 times more qualified to coach the Celtics than is Stevens.  He played in the NBA for 6 years.  Stevens attended 6 Pacers games in 6 years.  Bryce has been around elite, egocentric professional athletes.  Stevens has a Labron jersey.  That said Bryce is completely unqualified to be an NBA head coach.  That's how utterly ridiculous this whole thing is.  That is '72's point, and he is 100% correct IMO.

Kyle321n

Quote from: wh on July 05, 2013, 02:52:30 PMStevens has a Labron jersey.

I hope he didn't pay too much for it because he got ripped off.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

wh

Trying my best to think like our Milwaukee friends, who always espoused that Butler's success benefited the other 9 programs in the HL in the eyes of the college basketball world:

---Stevens would never have been considered for the Celtics head coaching position if not for Butler's move to the A-10 and subsequently the (watered down) Big East. 
---Butler would never have moved to the A-10 and (watered down) Big East if not for back-to-back runs to the NCAA championship game. 
---Butler would not have made back-to-back runs to the NCAA Championship game without having been prepared by the rough grind of an 18-game Horizon League schedule. 
---Conference play would not have been a rough grind without quality conference opponents. 
---Therefore, we all look good in the eyes of the college basketball world today.

Wow, the benefits of the Butler "trickle down" just never end! ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Kyle321n on July 05, 2013, 04:26:49 PMI hope he didn't pay too much for it because he got ripped off.
Not being spelled "LeBron" should have been the first clue, you're right.

Also "buying it from some dude outside Market Square".
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VU75

I'm not sure if it's the right term, but what is unique about Stevens is his success at understanding and using basketball sabermetrics.  NBA teams are going the way of baseball and grabbing a coach who understand what data is important and how to apply it could be a big advantage.

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 05, 2013, 07:23:10 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on July 05, 2013, 04:26:49 PMI hope he didn't pay too much for it because he got ripped off.
Not being spelled "LeBron" should have been the first clue, you're right.

Also "buying it from some dude outside Market Square".

Not being a LeBron fan, it didn't seem important enough to check. 

usc4valpo

Quote from: vu72 on July 05, 2013, 12:02:46 PMNot bitter but curious that's all. Why Boston would take a 22 million dollar chance on a guy with no pro experience.

Stevens is a coach with analytical basketball experience, which is what they are looking for.  BTW, throughout history, the Celtics have made many more good moves than mistakes. They have 17 championships banners hanging at the Garden.

Bryce would have been a better choice.

Yes, we love Bryce, but you have to be kidding me here.  Stevens is renown as an outstanding coach all over the country.    He's good and gettng better.  Stevens on the other hand is remarkable. 

Part of the style that made Brad successful included a slow down, many passes, share the ball offense and very tough defense. It gave his teams the ability to stay close and win in the end. Very seldom did his team beat the crap out of anybody (like 115 to 60 ala Detroit v. YSU last year) and on the flip side very few teams scored a bunch either. None of that style, which to his credit worked very well particularly against teams with NBA talent, will succeed in the NBA. Very little defense (except in the playoffs), offenses that are more Detroit like than Butler as well as a shorter shot clock and the desire by most to shoot as soon as they get the ball. I certainly think Brad made the right choice for his family and as others have pointed out, win lose or draw he can always come back to a fat paycheck in college. The money being tossed around is almost offensive to me. I certainly won't pay for tickets to support the rediculous salaries out there. And to think, Willie Mays never made more than $100,000. Wow.

ARCInsider

Quote from: wh on July 05, 2013, 02:52:30 PM

Ok, now you've gone off the deep end.  :)   ToupI like Bryce as much as the next guy, and I think Brad will fail in Boston as much as the next guy, but Brad Stevens has done unprecedented things at a mid-major. 

Stevens claim to fame is taking one set of players on one mid-major college team to back-to-back national championship games.  It was a phenomenal accomplishment that will never be duplicated by any mid major program - ever.  That said, how in the world does that  translate into him being the best choice in the whole basketball world to become the head coach of the Boston Celtics of the NBA?  To '72's point, I agree that Bryce is 10 times more qualified to coach the Celtics than is Stevens.  He played in the NBA for 6 years.  Stevens attended 6 Pacers games in 6 years.  Bryce has been around elite, egocentric professional athletes.  Stevens has a Labron jersey.  That said Bryce is completely unqualified to be an NBA head coach.  That's how utterly ridiculous this whole thing is.  That is '72's point, and he is 100% correct IMO.

"I think Brad will fail in Boston" is what I wrote above.  I understood 72's primary point.  I just completely disagreed with his minor point that Bryce would have been a better choice.

EddieCabot

Given all of this, it appears that Valpo is extremely fortunate to have such a great coach willing to work for a salary that appears to be significantly below market value (Stevens earned $1.2 mm+ at Butler and will get $3.8 mm per at Boston, so Bryce could reasonably expect to earn that or more if he went to the right place).  You guys know better than me, but it appears Bryce is willing to give Valpo the "hometown/alumnus" discount to be their head coach.  Good for him.  It probably doesn't hurt that he banked a bunch of money from his NBA career, so he can do what he really loves instead of chasing the money.

Any guesses on whether Bryce might ever move on?  If so, what opportunity will be most likely to lure him?  College BCS position?  NBA?  Or does he retire from Valpo like his Dad?

wh

Quote from: wh on July 09, 2013, 03:54:04 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on July 08, 2013, 05:22:20 PM

Given all of this, it appears that Valpo is extremely fortunate to have such a great coach willing to work for a salary that appears to be significantly below market value (Stevens earned $1.2 mm+ at Butler and will get $3.8 mm per at Boston, so Bryce could reasonably expect to earn that or more if he went to the right place).  You guys know better than me, but it appears Bryce is willing to give Valpo the "hometown/alumnus" discount to be their head coach.  Good for him.  It probably doesn't hurt that he banked a bunch of money from his NBA career, so he can do what he really loves instead of chasing the money.

Any guesses on whether Bryce might ever move on?  If so, what opportunity will be most likely to lure him?  College BCS position?  NBA?  Or does he retire from Valpo like his Dad?

According to an article that just came out in the Indianapolis Star, Larry Bird indicates that Stevens was looking into available NBA positions as far back as 2 to 3 years ago.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130709/SPORTS04/307090054/What-Larry-Bird-thinks-Brad-Stevens-Paul-George-Pacers-avoiding-luxury-tax 

On new Celtics coach Brad Stevens: "I don't know Brad Stevens personally, but I know he did a good job in Indianapolis. The people really like him there. I'm not surprised. I knew two, three years ago -- he wasn't -- but he had a guy sniffing around the NBA to see what was out there. I'm not surprised by it. He'll do fine. It just takes time. It takes time for everybody."

In spite of Butler's best efforts to make their men's basketball coaching position an attractive "end destination" for Stevens, he obviously has had bigger things in mind from the time he first became a Butler success story.  All the talk along the way by Butler fans about how he has strong Indiana roots, his parents are here, likes it here, etc., etc. was obviously just wishful thinking on their part.

I think it's a good lesson for us as Valpo fans to keep in mind.  We've said similar things about Bryce - family roots, turned down offers to play at bigger schools to stay home, wife has a business here, etc., etc.  Guys like Bryce Drew and Brad Stevens are extremely competitive.  They want to show they can compete and win against anyone.  People who have that burning desire are who make us great as a country.  Being the best you can be is still the American way. I don't fault Brad Stevens in the slightest for wanting to move up the ladder, and I will feel the same way about Bryce, if and when that day comes.  We as fans just have to accept it, remember the good times, and move on.  Just one person's opinion.   

Chairback

Bryce is a good coach but has a long way to go. He needs to win a few games in the tourney first, not just get there.  Plus a lot of the players he had came from his dad. I'm sure Bryce was the recruiter but it was his dad's team he's coached the last two years. He has a ton to prove here at Valpo before he eventually leaves. We were a last second shot away from having a major disappointing season.

Also, you can not compare Bryce Drew to Brad Stevens.  Stevens will do well in the NBa in a few years. They best win of Bryce's career is Murray State...

wh

Quote from: Chairback on July 09, 2013, 07:16:46 PM
Bryce is a good coach but has a long way to go. He needs to win a few games in the tourney first, not just get there.  Plus a lot of the players he had came from his dad. I'm sure Bryce was the recruiter but it was his dad's team he's coached the last two years. He has a ton to prove here at Valpo before he eventually leaves. We were a last second shot away from having a major disappointing season.

Also, you can not compare Bryce Drew to Brad Stevens.  Stevens will do well in the NBa in a few years. They best win of Bryce's career is Murray State...

Bryce could have had the Mississippi State job a year ago.  He has a better resume now than he did then.  You may think he has more to prove here, but the fact is he is already on the radar as a prospective BCS conference coach.   

wh

Butler basketball coach Brandon Miller adds Gardner-Webb's Chris Holtmann to coaching staff

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130715/SPORTS0605/130715005/Butler-adds-Gardner-Webb-s-Chris-Holtmann-coaching-staff

Graves goes from an asst. at Butler to the head coach at S. Alabama.  Conversely, Holtmann goes from head coach at Gardner-Webb to an asst. at Butler.   Which one got a promotion? 

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Butler cannot help but get PR.  Now Blue II, the RETIRED (not even the active) Butler mascot has been diagonosed with heart desease and it makes the front page of USAToday Sports online.  Sheesh!

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/08/butler-bulldog-mascot-blue-ii-fighting-heart-disease/

zvillehaze

Quote from: setshot on July 05, 2013, 10:43:41 AM
Stevens is a bad fit for Boston. He not only lacks NBA experience,he's also a cultural misfit. The "Hick from French Lick" made it as a player,but a clodhooper Hoosier basketball coach - give me a break.In two or three years from now Stevens will be standing on the banks of the Wabash wishing he was back home again. Book it!

Or coaching in the NBA All-Star game.  A few bold predictions in this thread missed the mark by a bit.

bbtds

Quote from: zvillehaze on February 19, 2017, 07:35:28 PM
Stevens is a bad fit for Boston. He not only lacks NBA experience,he's also a cultural misfit. The "Hick from French Lick" made it as a player,but a clodhooper Hoosier basketball coach - give me a break.In two or three years from now Stevens will be standing on the banks of the Wabash wishing he was back home again. Book it!

Or coaching in the NBA All-Star game.  A few bold predictions in this thread missed the mark by a bit.

Setshot was a bit of a chain puller about anything about the Midwest back in the day. He was a huge east coast guy.

One thing we did find out about setshot was that he was one of the big donors to the Valpo athletic dept.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on July 17, 2013, 08:21:38 PM
Butler basketball coach Brandon Miller adds Gardner-Webb's Chris Holtmann to coaching staff

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130715/SPORTS0605/130715005/Butler-adds-Gardner-Webb-s-Chris-Holtmann-coaching-staff

Graves goes from an asst. at Butler to the head coach at S. Alabama.  Conversely, Holtmann goes from head coach at Gardner-Webb to an asst. at Butler.   Which one got a promotion? 

Holtmann sure made a good move by going from head coach at Gardner-Webb to asst at Butler.

I'll always remember when Holtmann brokedown at a post game presser when he mentioned the death of the young son of one of his asst coaches.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on February 19, 2017, 09:44:09 PM

Setshot was a bit of a chain puller about anything about the Midwest back in the day. He was a huge east coast guy.

One thing we did find out about setshot was that he was one of the big donors to the Valpo athletic dept.

Pass away or something?

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 19, 2017, 11:04:21 PM
Quote from: bbtds on February 19, 2017, 09:44:09 PM

Pass away or something?
[/b
Was wondering the same thing.  Those in the athletic dept would know as he was a contributor.  He lived on Hilton Head Island and as I recall he must have been pushing 80 or so.  He was always fun to banter with.  Hope he is just observing and will jump in.!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015