• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Rumors about at the track - Finally

Started by VULB#62, November 15, 2013, 11:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

On this board there have been unsubstantiated rumors that the track around the football field is finally going to be built.  Can you confirm this?

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 15, 2013, 11:44:40 AMOn this board there have been unsubstantiated rumors that the track around the football field is finally going to be built.  Can you confirm this?
I've heard this rumor from several sources but I think they may be waiting till spring when they can officially break ground on the physical construction. We've waited this long. What's another few months?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

There are still two Porter Hospital buildings on the site that are under 3rd party leases and can't be torn down.  I've heard its like December, but I'm not sure.  One is the hyperbaric chamber building on the corner of LaPorte... and the Hospital's power plant at the southwest corner of the lot (that's providing utilities to the hyperbaric building). So we don't have it all... yet.

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on November 15, 2013, 07:37:00 PM
There are still two Porter Hospital buildings on the site that are under 3rd party leases and can't be torn down.  I've heard its like December, but I'm not sure.  One is the hyperbaric chamber building on the corner of LaPorte... and the Hospital's power plant at the southwest corner of the lot (that's providing utilities to the hyperbaric building). So we don't have it all... yet.

Just for clarification, how does the two buildings on the old hospital property hold up the construction of the track around Brown Field that was planned long before the hospital property was acquired?

ml

We have resumed active fund raising for the track.  This is the result of Athletics once again having an Associate Athletics Director for Development and identifying new potential donors.

The track when built will be around Brown Field.  No portion of it will be on the Porter Hospital property.

okinawatyphoon

So I take it that construction of the track is not imminent? It sounds to me like we are starting back to square one......I hope that's not the case.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

valpotx

Hopefully we see something soon about the fund raising.  I can only see it helping our T&F and CC teams to have a place outside on campus to perform their sport...
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on November 16, 2013, 02:08:36 AM
Hopefully we see something soon about the fund raising.  I can only see it helping our T&F and CC teams to have a place outside on campus to perform their sport...

Not to mention providing a greatly improved venue for football and soccer.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 17, 2013, 11:48:42 AM

I'm all for the track for the track team.  But, how does it benefit the football or soccer teams?    Just by filling an aesthetic void?

I've enjoyed the soccer benches being on the home stand side of the field this year.  I'm concerned that may no longer be possible once the track is installed.  Or that the track might otherwise damage the geometrical configuration.  But, frankly, there's acres of space.  So, maybe it won't need to change much.  How's adding the track going to improve things, beyond filling some of that space?

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on November 18, 2013, 01:15:45 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on November 17, 2013, 11:48:42 AM

I'm all for the track for the track team.  But, how does it benefit the football or soccer teams?    Just by filling an aesthetic void?

I've enjoyed the soccer benches being on the home stand side of the field this year.  I'm concerned that may no longer be possible once the track is installed.  Or that the track might otherwise damage the geometrical configuration.  But, frankly, there's acres of space.  So, maybe it won't need to change much.  How's adding the track going to improve things, beyond filling some of that space?

What do you notice when you see a football field for the first time?

Recruits want to see a commitment to a lot of facilities. The track completes the facilities at Brown Field. The space around the field says Valpo doesn't get things done and what Valpo is telling the recruit may not apply.

crusadermoe

Good point.  It looks unfinished.    Illusion or not, looking across bare grass makes the field look further away.

rink

I was really hoping this wouldn't happen.  Brown field already looks like a mere mid-level high school field, why complete the image with a track around it?  We should be going in the opposite direction, doing the most we (practically) can to make the football field look like a dedicated arena for the football program, not diluting the perception with this middle school / high school setup.  Add subtle cues to make it more stadium-ish.  Or hell, do nothing ... doing nothing would be better.  A prep-looking track?  The cheapie solution of mixing football and track?  No.  Put the track somewhere else.

If there's space around the football field that must be used up...  Figure out a way to get seats closer, that's always appreciated.  I'm not a landscape designer, but spruce up the place with berms, rock formations, more brickwork and/or ivy, manicured flower beds, fancy areas with statues/flag poles, things of that nature. Things that say football, and tradition, and college. Maybe do something so there's better entrance ramps/tunnels for the team to take the field.  We seriously want the team running across a track before hitting the field?  Come on.  They left that behind at the high school level.

My last time at Brown field, I noted that the most impressive aspect of the joint was the collegiate feel of the brick outside the stands.  The playing surface is also pretty sharp.  But there's no denying the stands, press box, and other elements are totally high school -- having a track surround the field will just add to that picture.

We're not talking about a high school in the 1940s.  It's 2013 and this is a university.  Today's generation watches tons of college football on TV and never sees a track around the playing field.

Boo!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: rink on December 14, 2013, 04:47:40 PMToday's generation watches tons of college football on TV and never sees a track around the playing field.
hmm.  good point.  very good point.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Well, the stands were moved back to make room for the track so why not move them back and build a track and field venue on Eastgate where the home of women's soccer used to be?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

There is a track at East Gate if you could call it that.  The strategy is to bring back all sports to the central campus which I am in favor of and the Porter Hospital land is the place that'll happen.  I have already advocated in another string using the land directly behind the current  visitor stands for the track and bringing those stands in closer to the playing surface to make room for that.  As rink mentioned, the area reserved for the track area on the home side could accommodate better stands and press box as well.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Dave_2010

Quote from: vu72 on January 31, 2014, 09:28:20 AMNow it is officially official. http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?ID=63470

I was in attendance at the alumni event for the CSU game last Saturday. Both LaBarbera and Dave Cecchini mentioned that Brown Field and several football facility improvements were the main portions of the Athletic Department's fundraising campaign with the intent of all being ready for the upcoming academic year.

It is my understanding that the football-related improvements will be centered primarily in Kroenke Hall. The few remaining arts organizations will be moved (I would assume to the VUCA) and the weight room will be doubled in size by expanding to include the room currently used as a dance studio.

valpotx

That's good news!  Hopefully it will help our T&F/CC teams starting next season!  Now, we just need to build that fieldhouse, and place a better S&D setup inside it somewhere.  It would be great to have ALL of our teams being competitive for championships.

"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Dave_2010 on January 31, 2014, 10:24:46 AMIt is my understanding that the football-related improvements will be centered primarily in Kroenke Hall.
Oh great--more off-the-field drama!?!?!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

ValpoWikiLeaks never lies :D

It's not like I'm this guy or anything...

LaPorteAveApostle

VULB#62

Dave_2010, you're spot on.  ML said to me that the expansion/renovation has been already half-way funded since Coach Cecchini came aboard.  After that it's the locker room in Kroencke.  These will be permanent improvements as the relocation of the BB diamond to the Kroencke location will not take place for a decade or more.

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 31, 2014, 10:48:45 AM
Quote from: Dave_2010 on January 31, 2014, 10:24:46 AMIt is my understanding that the football-related improvements will be centered primarily in Kroenke Hall.
Oh great--more off-the-field drama!?!?!
It's like the building will be a new canvas in the creation a new work of art.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

historyman